Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd November 2011, 09:36   #346
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Me too thinking again about september. Once Leh'ed can't forget the high of the big 'O'. However i was planning for the Zanskar circuit. i may not get the leaves for the whole circuit. Lets see if it work outs..
Fantastic. If things work out maybe we can do part of the journey together.
Old 3rd November 2011, 05:30   #347
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
By the way, I am firming up on Leh plans for next year - probably Sep. Should be a great opportunity for some nice photoshoots.

Who wants to join?
Are you planning alone (like only guys thingy) or with family? Bangalore to Leh with kiddo will be quiet a drive i must say but fun. Some of my friends recently went there and they were stuck in Rohtang pass for six hours with very negligible food. They were all bachelors hence did not have much problem in surviving with munching and some noodles.

Had difficulty imagining what would we do if we are faced with similar situation with our daughter.
Old 3rd November 2011, 13:18   #348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Are you planning alone (like only guys thingy) or with family? Bangalore to Leh with kiddo will be quiet a drive i must say but fun. Some of my friends recently went there and they were stuck in Rohtang pass for six hours with very negligible food. They were all bachelors hence did not have much problem in surviving with munching and some noodles.

Had difficulty imagining what would we do if we are faced with similar situation with our daughter.
Maybe a guys trip with my wife joining for just the Delhi - Leh circuit. No kid definitely.
Old 7th November 2011, 12:17   #349
Senior - BHPian

Google Maps/ GPS!

On Saturday I needed to go to North Bangalore from where I live (SE Bangalore). Decided to test the 'Directions' option on Google Maps on my mobile. Usually I have a look at the map beforehand and then rely on directions from auto drivers, pedestrians etc. This time I wanted to try out the route suggested by Google.

It was not good! I ended up going through crowded roads and avoided the shortcuts I know work for us. Missed an important appointment since I was stuck in horrible traffic with a big vehicle.

Till we get integrated, real-time traffic data etc. in India, I don't think it makes sense to fully rely on these maps. My personal take.

I was also testing the route to Masinagudi on Google Maps to see what it suggests. It recommends routes that I know are not optimal given the road conditions. I also came a couple of wildlife sanctuaries were located wrongly as per Google Maps.

Lesson learnt. Proper planning with physical road maps/top level guidance from Google Maps/friendly passerby inputs better than over-reliance on detailed GPS/ digital directions - within the city or outside the city.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 7th November 2011 at 12:19.
Old 7th November 2011, 14:04   #350
j76
BHPian

You should try Waze, it is a social GPS application and works on the concept that more the users that get onto waze, each reports their avg speed (automatically published by the app) and thus provides traffic conditions update. Also the directions that are provided are voice guided, you dont have to look at the screen too much. I have found it to be extremely useful in Mumbai, the Bangalore waze community also seems to be pretty active.
Old 7th November 2011, 22:46   #351
BHPian

There's a thread about waze in this forum. Maybe that will provide a good read.
Old 4th December 2011, 17:15   #352
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so finally the carrying capacity of the Fortuner came in handy.

Have created a small fireplace in my open air garage. Got 30 bricks + one sack of sand = the fixed cost. And 25-50 kgs of firewood (the variable cost). Have been doing a few evening fires in the last few weeks. Costs only 70 bucks per 25 kgs of firewood (I get the scraps from a nearby timber mill).

100 Rs of firewood + 100 Rs. of mad sanyasi: very nice way to spend an evening under the stars and the woods right in Bangalore.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2011, 22:23   #353
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok, so finally the carrying capacity of the Fortuner came in handy.

Have created a small fireplace in my open air garage. Got 30 bricks + one sack of sand = the fixed cost. And 25-50 kgs of firewood (the variable cost). Have been doing a few evening fires in the last few weeks. Costs only 70 bucks per 25 kgs of firewood (I get the scraps from a nearby timber mill).

100 Rs of firewood + 100 Rs. of mad sanyasi: very nice way to spend an evening under the stars and the woods right in Bangalore.
Are you telling us that you use your Fortuner to transport material to build the fireplace and also to buy firewood? You are kidding right?
Old 4th December 2011, 23:17   #354
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
Are you telling us that you use your Fortuner to transport material to build the fireplace and also to buy firewood? You are kidding right?
Of course! I folded the back seats and put an old bedsheet and some newspapers so that the vehicle doesn't get dirty. Bricks and sand were a onetime purchase. I buy 25+ kgs wood whenever I build a fire.

My Fortuner is a blue collar, working vehicle :-)

Here is how the fireplace looks (photo taken using my Galaxy S2):

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-fire.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 4th December 2011 at 23:39.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 18:12   #355
BHPian

@ Nilanjan the pics from the S2 seem to be good 8mp is it ? Nice fire you have got going .

Do you have some kind of log maintained on the service costs incurred on the Bison ? I know toyota maintainance is light on your wallet but curious to know . mind sharing it please.
Old 5th December 2011, 22:29   #356
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
@ Nilanjan the pics from the S2 seem to be good 8mp is it ? Nice fire you have got going .

Do you have some kind of log maintained on the service costs incurred on the Bison ? I know toyota maintainance is light on your wallet but curious to know . mind sharing it please.
Thanks, Yes, the S2 has a 8MP camera. Pretty handy for impromptu pictures.

I haven't maintained log, but servicing costs have been minimal till date. It costs Rs. 300 (or is it 400?) for a general checkup including quick washing.

I have decided to change oil + oil filter every 5000km. That are the only high cost line items.

I will be soon taking the vehicle for 20000 km servicing. Let's see how much it costs.

I have the following issues with the vehicle that I want to sort out:

1. Engine doesn't crank at times (but usually does at the second try or if I lock and unlock the vehicle with the key). Most likely the battery terminals need to be tightened or cleaned. Or maybe capacitor or key issue. I get a slight 'kat' or click sound as I turn the key (when the engine doesn't crank). This happens say 1 out of 10 times.

2. Pressure in left front wheel goes down to 25-26 (from 30) after a few days but doesn't go lower. Minute puncture perhaps, as some folks have suggested.

3. A slight thud sound in the early morning if I go over a steep bump or deepish hole. Goes away during daytime. Wonder what is causing this? Maybe the stepney tyre set-up needs to be lubricated? Or maybe some lubricant needs warming up? Why would this happen? If something is wrong, why would the sound go away during daytime or after a 30-60 minutes of running? I have noticed the same problem with the SX4.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 5th December 2011 at 22:53.
Old 7th December 2011, 00:26   #357
BHPian

For the 1st problem of that sound I suspect the starter , though it's too early in your case , anyway get this checked . Will be interesting to see the 20k service costs .
Old 7th December 2011, 13:39   #358
BHPian

Quote:

I have the following issues with the vehicle that I want to sort out:

1. Engine doesn't crank at times (but usually does at the second try or if I lock and unlock the vehicle with the key). Most likely the battery terminals need to be tightened or cleaned. Or maybe capacitor or key issue. I get a slight 'kat' or click sound as I turn the key (when the engine doesn't crank). This happens say 1 out of 10 times.

2. Pressure in left front wheel goes down to 25-26 (from 30) after a few days but doesn't go lower. Minute puncture perhaps, as some folks have suggested.

3. A slight thud sound in the early morning if I go over a steep bump or deepish hole. Goes away during daytime. Wonder what is causing this? Maybe the stepney tyre set-up needs to be lubricated? Or maybe some lubricant needs warming up? Why would this happen? If something is wrong, why would the sound go away during daytime or after a 30-60 minutes of running? I have noticed the same problem with the SX4.

My response to your plights (point wise):
1. I am eager to see how the Toyota Service Center attends to this issue. As suggested to you by Guderian & myself a few posts back, I'm sure you must have tried using the other key and observed the same problem.
2. Those nasty minor punctures. They are like chronic tyre illness.
3. When you mentioned your SX4; I get that similar thud with my Ritz too - specially over speed bumps & potholes. IMO the culprit is the suspension. If you may, please do get the rear suspension bushings checked for cracks.

Do keep us posted about your A.S.S. experience.
Cheers mate.
Old 7th December 2011, 14:40   #359
Senior - BHPian

1. Need to get this issue checked asap. Needs to be either a wiring issue or loose terminal or contact issue with ignition switch (which may need to be changed under warranty).
2. Seems like a puncture issue to me too
3. Identify the side of the car from which it comes. It may be some loose part or as identified already, a cut rubber part in the suspension.
Old 7th December 2011, 19:19   #360
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys. Will keep you posted.

The trouble with points #1 and #3 are they are not replicable on demand.

#3 goes away after the first 30 min or so, even if I go through far more demanding terrain. No noise/problems whatsoever in going over bad holes or while offroading. Only time I notice the sound is in the mornings or during the first few minutes during the first drive.

Also, #1 happens usually while pressing the clutch while turning the switch (as mentioned in the manual), and usually only during the first time I touch the car in a day. If I remember, the first time I faced the problem (many months back) was after an offroading session through deep water and slush. Wonder whether (water/mud) got inside something and is hampering the contact points somewhere.

Let's see what Toyota says. I will need to give them some possible reasons - can't just rely on the service guys to do a proper diagnosis if the problem doesn't come up at the service centre.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 7th December 2011 at 19:20.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks