Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2012, 00:33   #526
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Manuuj has some figures for his ASC visits. I don't really remember or keep track of what exactly it costs me to do a oil change + usual service. Between 3000 and 4000 I think all inclusive. Without oil change Manuuj says it is around 700-800 if I remember correctly.

On a separate note: I also have stopped caring about calculating exact FE figures. I get between 11 and 12 kmpl most of the time, and it matters little if I get 11.6 vs. 11.78976543 kmpl :-). I also can't get myself to do the granny act too much as some folks (Guderian, if you are reading) love doing.

Something to be shared with Fortuner owners and other non-hardcore offroaders: do check your alternator and starter motor after ploughing through mud and water at high speed. If you read some of the pages on this thread, I used to have this starting problem. Eventually it was diagnosed as deposits on the starter motor. Before things got sorted out, I got somewhat upset because the Fortuner is supposed to be super reliable (from my reading of ownership experiences worldwide). But then I read a really good book on offroading. It said that going through mud and water can screw up the starter motors of the best of vehicles under certain conditions - and we are talking of Land Cruisers, Patrols etc. - super reliable offroaders.

I remember that the problem started immediately after I did the Toyota-organized Fortuner slush fest. That time I didn't have a clue, and neither did the Toyota ASCs. So mud had got into the vehicle and formed a deposit over (and perhaps corroded) certain critical areas. Now, an ASC with knowledge of what to do after a vehicle has gone through mud and water would do the standard checks. Unfortunately in India such ASCs are rare. If during the post-slush fest free service the ASC had checked the high risk areas e.g. the starter motor, then a simple cleaning would have sufficed.

Good to nail down an issue that had bothered me in the past - good to know what happened and why, and what to do about it next time.

If the ASCs were more capable, I would be taking my vehicle into slush more more often, perhaps for fun. I usually get into deep slush only when I have to - and not for fun.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 26th July 2012 at 00:38.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th July 2012, 16:29   #527
BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
nilanjan and dkaile,
If were to change oil at every 5k kms,and a routine check, how much would TASS charge me?
Assuming that the regular stuff has been taken care of in the 10k kms periodic service.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Oil, Oil Filter and Oil seal nut gasket cost 2400/- at TASS (approx 2K for 6.9L of 5W40 oil, 350 for filter, 50 for gasket + taxes)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I just quoted consumable charges as all my services were free up till now. I presume normal service charge (including washing) would be around 2K at TASS.
The latest Cost for Labor and Consumables is given below for your reference: (all prices are inclusive of Tax)

60,000/- Service.........1280/- (includes washing and prop shaft greasing)
Washer Fluid...............57/-
Air Filter.....................1197/-
HVAC Filter.................1361/-
Oil Filter......................364/-
Engine Oil...................2035/-
Wiper Front RH............1360/-
Wiper Front LH.............1105/-
Wiper Rear...................880/-
Grease.........................142/-
Gasket Oil Pan Drain......34/-

Included in the above is:

Service tax@ 12%.......................136/-
Value Added Tax@ 12.5%............706/-
Value Added tax@ 20%...............362/-
Edu Cess on Service Tax@ 5%......4.10/-

For a Grand Total of: Rs.9817/-

Therefore in the year 2012 so far i have spent
Rs.4291/- + (50 K service)
Rs.700/- + (55 K service)
Rs.9817/- (60 K Service)

This comes to Rs. 14,808/- for 15,000 Kms. (45k to 60k kms---January to July)

= Rs. 1/- per kilometer maintainence cost so far in 2012!

Hope this helps!
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2012, 09:45   #528
Senior - BHPian

Occasional dimming of Optitron meter

I noticed a slight, momentary dimming of the Optitron console 3-4 times in the last week. Happens for 1-2 seconds and then goes away. Battery check up required? Some possible loose connection?

Service is due anyway, so need a couple of pointers so that I can ask the ASC guys to double check. They have zero diagnostics skills.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 8th August 2012 at 10:03.
Old 8th August 2012, 11:57   #529
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
But then I read a really good book on offroading. It said that going through mud and water can screw up the starter motors of the best of vehicles under certain conditions

Can you please share the name of the book? I intend to jump onto the T-fort bandwagon hopefully in a year or two to satisfy my travel lust. Upgrading to brain 2.0 with basics of off roading.

Sorry for digressing.
Old 8th August 2012, 14:23   #530
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Can you please share the name of the book? I intend to jump onto the T-fort bandwagon hopefully in a year or two to satisfy my travel lust. Upgrading to brain 2.0 with basics of off roading.

Sorry for digressing.

4wd handbook Robert Pepper
See here: About the 4WD Handbook | 4WD Book & 4X4 News
Old 14th August 2012, 19:45   #531
Senior - BHPian

37000 km update

Vehicle was serviced recently at the Kanakpura Road Nandi Toota ASC. Found them more professional, and the place less crowded. The set-up is significantly bigger than the Hosur Road one.

Pending issues:
1. The 'kat' noise while braking hasn't been sorted out yet because that will take 1-2 days to diagnose. Will take the vehicle to the ASC again when I have some time.

2. There is a very slight 'creak' noise from the seat when I take an aggressive turn. Had asked them to fix, but it hasn't gone away fully. Minor irritant though.

3. I had mentioned about the 2-second slight dimming of the speedometer that happened a couple of times. Battery was checked, no issues found. Not sure what could have caused the temporary dimming.

Vehicle running smoothly. Will try to time the 40000km servicing before the Kumaon drive.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:57   #532
BHPian

thanks to the information provided by manuj/nils

I talked to Nandi toyota guys, and they were not having any clue abt prop shaft greasing.

but they did mention that one other customer asked for it.

anyway, I got it done and will ensure its done as part of 10K services. I think its mentioned in the service book as well. are the ASC claiming ignorance ? as I cant believe toyota not giving proper training.
Old 22nd August 2012, 09:04   #533
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvrajan View Post
thanks to the information provided by manuj/nils

I talked to Nandi toyota guys, and they were not having any clue abt prop shaft greasing.

but they did mention that one other customer asked for it.

anyway, I got it done and will ensure its done as part of 10K services. I think its mentioned in the service book as well. are the ASC claiming ignorance ? as I cant believe toyota not giving proper training.
Most of the service advisers in Nandi Hosur Road have no clue. Their team leaders try to justify saying that it is not required. I have blasted them a couple of times, showing the service book. There is only a couple of guys I found who knew about it, and did it without me having to explain things.

I have started going to Kanakpura Road now, let's see how things go.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2012, 17:07   #534
Senior - BHPian

OK, so my thread got moved to long term ownership forum :-)

Completed more than 38K kms, trying to go slow so that I do my 40000km servicing just before my 4500kms Bangalore - Kumaon - Bangalore roadtrip in October.

Minor suspension noise, 'kat' sound while reversing and braking, and minor squeaks from the front seat (when going over bad roads) remain. Will try to get them fixed when I take the vehicle to the ASC. Note: none of the issues is a big deal (I hope). The vehicle is running smoothly. Will complete two years end of September. It is just that expectations from a Toyota SUV are higher, so everything needs to run 'perfectly'.

By the way, had some fun on a service road beside Outer Ring Road. The service road was closed due to a steep climb down, and 10-12 inch deep mud for a stretch of 30 feet. I was going somewhere on that road, and didn't want to turn back like the other vehicles were doing. So ploughed ahead in 4L 2nd gear.

Emerged with a solid coating of mud all over to the surprise and amusement of onlookers, who were perhaps wondering whether the vehicle can make it out. Had to take it for washing. Needed to take it for washing anyway after my Kabini/ Manthanwadi trip, so was not a big deal.
Old 7th September 2012, 22:37   #535
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so at least a couple of more Fortuners have the same Kaat noise when braking while reversing. Wonder why. Some assembling issue for Indian Fortuners? Sometime pretty minor? Or is it serious?

Next time, I will try get hold of a Toyota mechanic and try to get it sorted out. It has been there for close to a year now.
Old 6th October 2012, 20:10   #536
Senior - BHPian

40k servicing done at 39000 kms

Got the servicing done early because I wouldn't have time later. The Kumaon trip approaches, and I want enough buffer time to test the vehicle, especially the light flickering (read below).

It cost me 7.9K, including engine oil, oil filter, differential oil and brake oil change.

Had an issue with prop shaft greasing - insisted forcefully, and they did the job.

The "kaat noise while reversing and then braking" got sorted out. Seems rear brake (drum or something else) was slightly misaligned, and was touching something wrongly. Minor thing, as per the chief technician. Note: it took 5 service visits to get this diagnosed!
Other folks who have the same issue: this is FYI.

I have had my dash lights flickering in the recent past. The ASC couldn't find anything. It happens once in a while - no change in engine RPM though. Could be alternator, battery, connections, voltage fluctuator, dash light wiring problems. They couldn't find anything. Seems battery and alternator voltages are fine. I hope it is something minor, and not symptoms of some freak alternator or battery or some other problem. I am a little worried about this. Hasn't come on since the service, but then again it comes up every 4-5 days for a few seconds.

There is slight squeaks from the driver's seat. My fault - I have developed the habit of sliding down everytime I get down, so I guess the springs are protesting.

The front shock noise seems to have reduced on its own. Strange.

Brakes seem good for another 8-10K km. Front: 5 mm left, rear: 3.5 mm left. Should be good for the long drive and Himalayas.

Otherwise, she is running fine and smooth as usual. She has crossed two years, and feels like she could go on and on.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 6th October 2012 at 20:15.
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 10th October 2012, 09:32   #537
Senior - BHPian

Re: 40k servicing done at 39000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
- The "kaat noise while reversing and then braking" got sorted out. Seems rear brake (drum or something else) was slightly misaligned, and was touching something wrongly. Minor thing, as per the chief technician. Note: it took 5 service visits to get this diagnosed!

- I have had my dash lights flickering in the recent past.

-There is slight squeaks from the driver's seat.

-The front shock noise seems to have reduced on its own. Strange.

- Otherwise, she is running fine and smooth as usual. She has crossed two years, and feels like she could go on and on.
Hi Nilanjan,
- Thanks for the info on the "kaat" noise.
- Anything new on the dash light flickering ? Is any accessory on/running when this happens ?
- About the squeaky seats - had it once - I slid the seat forwards and rear, lowered/raised the seat and also reclined and released the back rest fully - all couple of times and voila, the squeak vanished, never to return till now. Try it.
- Like the Scorpio the T-Fortuner also seems to have to have great SHPs. Self Healing Properties !
- Wonderful to hear that. Truly a solid piece of engineering !
Old 10th October 2012, 10:50   #538
Senior - BHPian

Re: 40k servicing done at 39000 kms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nilanjan,
- Anything new on the dash light flickering ? Is any accessory on/running when this happens ?

- About the squeaky seats - had it once - I slid the seat forwards and rear, lowered/raised the seat and also reclined and released the back rest fully - all couple of times and voila, the squeak vanished, never to return till now. Try it.

- Wonderful to hear that. Truly a solid piece of engineering !
Hasn't come back. Only accessory is the spotlights - but I seldom use them. Batter specific gravity seems to be fine, though I can't recollect the volt reading from the alternator (should be b/w 12-14 volts, closer to 14). Anyway, Fortuner manual says that all sorts of warning lights will start coming up if any reading goes below the normal range. Nothing has come up yet.

Seats: I think it is coming from inside, and not just from the joints. I have developed the habit of sliding down from the seat without using the step board. As a result, the right side of the driver's seat has started squeaking.

She is running smoothly just like new vehicle. But I like knowing the root cause behind something - e.g. regarding the starting issue, and the kaat noise. I will be happy if I can get the flickering thing diagnosed.

Btw, I spent some time reading through the manual once more. Refresher course before the trip.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2012, 15:24   #539
Senior - BHPian

Was doing some checks before the long drive. Everything seems fine apart from the irritating seat squeak.

Got the stepney down, chain is fine, and not stuck or tight due to accumulated mud or dirt. Stepney pressure was 26 psi, filled to 32. Used the Limi inflator for filling - this is the first time it has been used. My Limi is understating the pressure by 2.5 psi. I kept the engine running while using the inflator, no issues.

Loaded into the boot in advance: tent, mattress, sleeping bag, extra water and newspaper, glass cleaner, sPare coolant, toolkit, tripod and tripod head.

Bought a 100L duffel bag for trip. What a luxury to take whatever one wants to, instead of getting limited to the 20-30 kgs for a flight!

Will use 32 psi for the highway drives.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th October 2012 at 15:27.
Old 15th October 2012, 17:48   #540
Senior - BHPian

^
Please be aware Nilanjan that entry to the Jim Corbett Reserve Forest is CLOSED by Supreme Court order. I have just returned from there today. They are only taking safari rides to Sitamarhi Forest range which is NOT a part of the Jim Corbett Core area and the only sightings there will be of misc. animals and not Tiger. Please be aware of this fact before embarking on your journey.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks