Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2012, 16:19   #541
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

^^ Is this a reversal of that order?

From today's TOI online edition: http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/i...w/16835975.cms

Quote:
NEW DELHI: The Supreme Court has lifted the ban on tiger tourism in core areas of reserves and sanctuaries.

The apex court on Tuesday vacated its interim ban order of July 24 and permitted tourism in core areas.

The court asked all authorities to strictly adhere to the guidelines notified by the National Tiger Conservation Authority.

The Supreme Court has asked every state to prepare tiger conservation plan within 6 months keeping in mind the NTCA guidelines and submit it to the Centre for approval.

The apex court on July 24 had banned all tourist activities in the core areas of tiger reserves and had extended the ban till September 27 on August 29.
Old 17th October 2012, 22:12   #542
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Yes, right on time ...however, I guess only Jhirna will be open before Nov 15th. If I don't get to go inside the park, I plan to drive around in the jungle trails in the reserve forests. Plan to do some offroading too.

Last night I drove from Bangalore - Mumbai. The vehicle performed well, apart from the irritating rear seat noise that has come up. The seat is folded up, and I guess the strap has become a bit loose.

I was able to drive comfortably using my high beams at decent speeds in the night. Didn't require my Lightforce spots at all. Used 33 PSI on all tyres, feels a bit bumpy especially on bad roads at slower speeds.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 17th October 2012 at 22:13.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2012, 20:10   #543
Senior - BHPian

In Kaladhungi after a 2750 km trip. Last night was spent in Mohaan, on Ramnagar-Ranikhet Road. All fine with the vehicle, she performed without fuss over some horrendous roads (I ended up on some horrible roads in rural UP) and during extensive night drives. About to go for a night drive after dinner for some (I hope!) leopard spotting.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2012, 17:48   #544
Senior - BHPian

Back at Sitabani forest rest house after extensive forest trail driving on beautiful tracks, river beds, roots and rocks. The Fortuner performed well as expected. This is what I had in mind when I bought the vehicle.

The Sitabani FRH is beautiful. Today is our second night here.

Sent from my mobile device

Last edited by nilanjanray : 25th October 2012 at 17:49.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2012, 19:59   #545
Senior - BHPian

In Munsiyari. The vehicle has been performing well. Got some minor brake noises...lots of braking (in the mountains) and clutch abuse (in UP, horrible traffic). Rest things are fine. Magical sunset and moonrise beside the Panchachuli peaks. Wherever I go in Eastern Kumaon, 90% of the tourists are Bengalis
Old 29th October 2012, 23:17   #546
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
In Munsiyari. The vehicle has been performing well. Got some minor brake noises...lots of braking (in the mountains) and clutch abuse (in UP, horrible traffic). Rest things are fine. Magical sunset and moonrise beside the Panchachuli peaks. Wherever I go in Eastern Kumaon, 90% of the tourists are Bengalis
Ajay Kaushik is also there, staying in KMVN, Innova
Old 6th November 2012, 15:35   #547
Senior - BHPian

In Mumbai...had to come directly here from Uttarakhand for important work. Will be driving back to Bangalore later this week. Had to really push the vehicle over some horrible roads to make it to Mumbai in time. Drove straight from Bandhavgarh to Mumbai, with a 3 hour nap/ break in a petrol pump.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:52   #548
BANNED

Quote:
Had to really push the vehicle over some horrible roads to make it to Mumbai in time. Drove straight from Bandhavgarh to Mumbai, with a 3 hour nap/ break in a petrol pump.
I guess you took the Indore Bombay route, am I correct?
The Fortuner, for the truck it is, can take all that abuse and more.

Last edited by n.devdath : 6th November 2012 at 15:53.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:05   #549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
I guess you took the Indore Bombay route, am I correct?
The Fortuner, for the truck it is, can take all that abuse and more.
I came via Jabalpur - Narsinghpur - Chhindwara - Nagpur - Amravati - Aurangabad - Expressway - Mumbai.

Came back to Bangalore today. All seem to be fine with the vehicle after the 7000km trip. Never let me down anywhere, and took whatever Indian roads could throw at it. I am happy that the Fortuner lived upto its reputation and to my expectations.

It needs a good wash, it looks like a buffalo that has come out after a mud bath
Old 15th November 2012, 10:16   #550
Senior - BHPian

Some of the issues that I faced earlier - seat squeaking, front shock noise - seem to have vanished or at least lessened after the pounding and rough use. Strange! I would have assumed that they would become worse!

This reminds me of my knee pain many many years back. I had been jogging with bad running shoes, and my knees/upper shins used to ache whenever I would run or stress the legs. After coming down from Dzongri (near Kanchendzonga base camp) with a heavy backpack - with constant shock on the knees and while frequently slipping on snow - the pain went away. Things 'clicked' into place perhaps?

When I was stuck in traffic in Mumbai for 1.5 hours - crawling along - I thought that the brake and clutch were not performing optimally. But again, after some R&R, things seem to be fine.

Need to take the vehicle for its 45K servicing soon. A little late, since I am almost touching 47km.

I heard some brake squeals while in the mountains, but that again has almost gone.

So all this is good. But the problem is, if I go and tell the ASC that I faced XYZ issues, and they don't crop up in front of the service adviser, the ASC folks don't do a very diligent job in preventive diagnosis.

Overall, the Fortuner came through with flying colours during the trip. And the extra 4X4 toughness surely helped in sailing through everything.

Major learning: apart from the major highways (NH and SH), interior Indian roads are a mess - especially the minor or village roads. Anyone who wants to have the capability to go anywhere, or keeps ending up in villages and fields and no-road situations while trying to take short cuts after looking at Google Maps (like I did - that too mostly in UP), better drive a SUV instead of a sedan.
Old 15th November 2012, 10:37   #551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some of the issues that I faced earlier - seat squeaking, front shock noise - seem to have vanished or at least lessened after the pounding and rough use. Strange! I would have assumed that they would become worse!
Hi NR,
Always great to read about your forays into the wild.
This is the great SHP (Self Healing Properties) of the Fortuner that I wrote about somewhere. Glad to note that Bison covered herself (?) in glory.

Have a couple of Qs on the idle RPM of the Fortuner which I have quizzed dkaile in his thread - would request your inputs too !
Here they are:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-last-21.html
Old 15th November 2012, 18:26   #552
BHPian

Quote:
Great to know that you are back and the vehicle performed as expected. Waiting for your trademark photographs.
I have been to Munsyari. Drove in my City. Fantastic place. As for Bengalis in eastern Kumaon .. you can judge by the fact that menu card in hotels are in Bengali !!
Old 21st November 2012, 16:41   #553
Senior - BHPian

Feeling at home in Kumaon

Near Munsiyari...
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_0421.jpg

The woods are lovely, dark and deep
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8641_2.jpg

Crossing a river near Sitabani
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8611.jpg

On our way to buy some Chicken from a village (we were staying at a forest rest house)...only thing is, one has to cross many kms of forest (through such trails) to reach such a village. All bad roads tackled with no sweat, whether @ 10kmph or @120 kmph
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8600.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st November 2012, 16:50   #554
Senior - BHPian

Re: Feeling at home in Kumaon

Quote:
Near Munsiyari...
So when is the TL going to be live?

That picture is amazing, makes me want to go there, but i know i cant as of now, but someday surely will. Please upload more pictures. I see lovely mountains and jungles, which makes is even more desirable, the place you stayed (the forest rest house) it open for public?

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 21st November 2012 at 16:52.
Old 21st November 2012, 17:16   #555
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Feeling at home in Kumaon

Great wanderings indeed

Quote:
All bad roads tackled with no sweat, whether @ 10kmph or @120 kmph
You summed the entire story of the Fortuner in these lines

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks