Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th May 2013, 17:36   #571
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Hi Nilanjan,

I guess you are keeping busy on road with your ride!

Can I request you to share the cost of purchase of - Lightforce Unibar, Lightforce Striker 170 lights & wiring/relay kit. I want to compare and if economical, would like to pick them up from US for my to be purchased T-Fortuner in December.

Thank you in advance!
Old 27th May 2013, 18:02   #572
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Hi Nilanjan,

I guess you are keeping busy on road with your ride!

Can I request you to share the cost of purchase of - Lightforce Unibar, Lightforce Striker 170 lights & wiring/relay kit. I want to compare and if economical, would like to pick them up from US for my to be purchased T-Fortuner in December.

Thank you in advance!
It cost me appx. 27K total if I remember. Those are Blitz lights not the Strikers. US has significantly lesser prices pick them up from there.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2013, 22:06   #573
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nilanjan,

Thanks for the information, will definitely aid my decision now.

Happy Motoring!
Old 29th May 2013, 14:31   #574
Senior - BHPian

Issues with Lightforce spots

I was away last week, and it rained heavily in Bangalore. After coming back, I saw that water had gone inside the Lightforce reflector assembly. I turned the lights on for a while after water seemed to have disappeared, but now I have black soot-like deposits all over the reflectors - the reflectors have turned black.

I had bought these lights from Kumar's without B&W. I wasn't too happy with the experience, and while I will call them, I am not too sure that they will help. Is there an easy way to fix/remove this black deposit from the reflectors? Performance is now degraded, a shame for such an expensive set-up.
Old 29th May 2013, 19:45   #575
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Performance is now degraded, a shame for such an expensive set-up
Oh! That is not good. Did anybody else have similiar experience with Lightforce?

Nilanjan, I hope the company does replace the reflector assembly as they are supposed to be water proof( to some extent at the least, as per their website!).
Old 26th November 2013, 14:10   #576
Senior - BHPian

The vehicle will be going for its 60K servicing this weekend.

Dashboard squeaks have come back after the roadtrip. The 'kaat' noise while reversing + braking is also back.

Day before yesterday when I switched on the music system, I found that the display was very dim - not the light, but the alphanumeric display. Doesn't seem to be a problem with the battery since all other systems/lights are fine.

Will get these problems sorted out.

Been thinking of changing tyres after a while. Found this interesting link:
http://www.satreads.com/southern-afr...-the-test.html

They tested the tyres on a Hilux - 265/65/R17 - same size tyre. So this test should be very relevant for Fortuner owners.

Continental and Pirelli A/Ts are on the shortlist right now.

Btw here's a photo of the best on the way to Churna Forest Rest House in Satpura National Park. Excuse the quality, downloaded a low resolution version from FB.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-996965_10152739394785752_958267031_n.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 26th November 2013 at 14:20.
nilanjanray is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 09:25   #577
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

Been thinking of changing tyres after a while. Found this interesting link:
http://www.satreads.com/southern-afr...-the-test.html

They tested the tyres on a Hilux - 265/65/R17 - same size tyre. So this test should be very relevant for Fortuner owners.

Continental and Pirelli A/Ts are on the shortlist right now.
Hi,
Is it advisable to change the stock dunlop tires right out of showroom to Continental Cross Contact AT ? (these tyre still dont come with ISI mark and are made in South Africa June 13 batch when we checked them last)
Thanks
Old 29th November 2013, 13:26   #578
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadjourno View Post
Hi,
Is it advisable to change the stock dunlop tires right out of showroom to Continental Cross Contact AT ? (these tyre still dont come with ISI mark and are made in South Africa June 13 batch when we checked them last)
Thanks
No imo. The stock tyres have performed well. Unless you need the extra strength of A/T's from the beginning and are willing to spend money in the exchange.
Old 14th December 2013, 08:58   #579
Senior - BHPian

First tyre change on my own

Yesterday evening I noticed that the rear left tyre was completely flat. There were no nearby tyre shops, and my LIMI inflator had also gone kaput a few days back (what timing!). So I was forced to embark on the exercise of changing a tyre for the first time since my Indica days many years back (had plenty of practice then - the Indica made sure I never took it for granted). My SX4 punctures had been handled by the driver, and the Fortuner had had 2 punctures, but of the slow deflation type - so I could get them fixed at the ASC.

It was dark, so I had to read the manual using light from my mobile. Went down under the vehicle to position the jack, much to the amusement of people passing by. Dirtied my light coloured clothes . In the end everything worked out fine. I was a but apprehensive of lifting and then maneuvering the new tyre to align with the bolts, but that wasn't too much of an issue.

Bottomline, it was a good exercise - for the body and for confidence (that I need not be dependent on any other person if a puncture happens in the middle of nowhere). In a way it is good that it happened near my house - I had returned from a Goa trip just a few days back.

Next steps:
1. Get the tyre repaired. Later when I tried filling up air, I noticed that air was hissing out loudly. Hope it can be repaired properly. Also figure out why it happened. Doesn't seem like a nail - more like someone cut it with something sharp.

2. Get the LIMI inflator replaced. I want something that can last for a long time and is robust enough for regular use.

3. Tyres have done 64K, start researching Continental and Pirelli A/T tyres - I will most likely opt for one of them.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 14th December 2013 at 09:03.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th December 2013, 19:24   #580
BHPian

Quote:
The vehicle will be going for its 60K servicing this weekend
Mind writing a report on the same.Will be highly helpful.
Thanks.
Old 14th December 2013, 21:49   #581
Senior - BHPian

Re: First tyre change on my own

Quote:
Yesterday evening I noticed that the rear left tyre was completely flat...
I think the cut would be due to a sharp stone.

I am surprised to learn that the LIMI digital inflator gave up on you. I have been using one for 4 years with absolutely no problems (touchwood !). One good thing about Limi is that it can be easily serviced and the defective parts replaced. It could be a loose contact as well. Suggest you talk to the owner Laxman Sawkar on (020) 24495739 and he'll tell you exactly what is to be done.Somewhere on Admiral's thread I had put up his mobile number as well. I think they have an outlet in Bangalore now.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 01:07   #582
Senior - BHPian

65000km update

Got the tyres repaired at the ASC when I went for service. Am hoping that they run for the next 5000 kms. There is a 1 inch piece of tubeless repair kit rubber sticking out from the front wheel. Should I cut it off to 1cm or so?

After the warranty expired, I have been finding that Nandi Toyota is trying to charge me for checks that were free before. E.g. basic underbody and suspension checks. Am going to take it up with Toyota.

A few recent photos of the Bison, taken the day after it came back from service. The nice and shining vehicle got dirty and dusty again

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_96332.jpeg

Had posted this on FB, this is a better version
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_9637.jpeg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_9620.jpeg
nilanjanray is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2014, 07:58   #583
Senior - BHPian

Yes, 1 Inch is too long. Cut it to 1 cm. I hope the puncture is not a big one. Depends of the size of the puncture too.

Yes, TASS will try charge for everything after the warranty expires, because earlier checks would be classified as running repairs.

It is the same with MASS.
Old 10th March 2014, 12:30   #584
Senior - BHPian

Decided to go for this air compressor:
http://emporis.co.in/html/products_c...compressor.htm

Gave up on LIMI since it let me down a couple of times. I called them, they said that I have to ship the unit to Pune and they will look into it. If they had service in Bangalore or could arrange pick up, that would have helped. I also did some research - seems the LIMI unit is a generic Chinese unit (I see the same product being sold in UK under a different brand name).

Will let folks know my feedback. Emporis folks tell me that they manufacture the product in India, and that since it is analogue there is less chance of anything going wrong. Let's see...
Old 12th March 2014, 12:39   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Decided to go for this air compressor:
http://emporis.co.in/html/products_c...compressor.htm

Gave up on LIMI since it let me down a couple of times. I called them, they said that I have to ship the unit to Pune and they will look into it. If they had service in Bangalore or could arrange pick up, that would have helped. I also did some research - seems the LIMI unit is a generic Chinese unit (I see the same product being sold in UK under a different brand name).

Will let folks know my feedback. Emporis folks tell me that they manufacture the product in India, and that since it is analogue there is less chance of anything going wrong. Let's see...
Nilanjanray, where can you buy this in Bangalore ?
Thanks for the pointer. the product looks pretty robust

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks