Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2010, 12:27   #106
Senior - BHPian

@ Jaysmokesleaves: Interesting. I am using the stock Dunlops. Have decided to use the recommended 30 PSI for city and highway. Why do you have such high pressures (40PSI) for offroad use? Aren’t there any issues, or don’t u get stuck in the sand?

@ Dr. AD: Thanks. I know you are enjoying your SX4. Will post a more detailed comparison later. Till date, I haven’t been on any roads/trails that I couldn’t have done with the SX4, and haven’t used the 4HL/4LL yet. I was planning to try out some interesting trails in tje Nilgiris this time, but my trip had to be cut short suddenly because something came up at home. Anyway, here are my summary thoughts:
  • Both are equally bumpy. However, back/middle seats passengers claim that the Fortuner is a little but more comfortable. I have no clue, since I have always been in the driver’s seat in both vehicles.
  • SX4 is fine till 100-120 kmph. I get a floating feeling after that, with stock tyres. The Fortuner is stable and feels planted till 150 kmph. Haven't had a chance to take her beyond that yet. But I did do 165 kmph during a TD, and she felt fine.
  • I prefer driving the SX4 in the city. Parking is a pain with the Fortuner – and scratches are inevitable – I want to avoid that as long as possible. For a long drive, I would prefer the Fortuner anyday.
  • Braking feels far better with the SX4. I have to plan my moves with the Fortuner. With the sedan, I get a few extra milliseconds for my manoeuvres.
  • Overtaking is much easier with the Fortuner (because of the torque and visibility).
  • While the Fortuner is very adequate on hill roads, it is easier with the SX4 on winding roads. On steep inclines, the Fortuner pulls like a beast. On stretches where I had to downshift with the SX4, the Fortuner went on 3rd gear.
  • The stock ICE is better in the Fortuner. But needs to be upgraded.
  • The Fortuner build quality is much better.
  • The Fortuner driver’s seat seems more comfortable during long drives. However, I have done long drives in the Indica, SX4 and the Fortuner. Since I like driving, I don’t feel much fatigue. I get restless after a couple of hours when I have to sit in the back seat.
  • Fuel cost is much lesser with the Fortuner. I am getting 11-11.5 kpl till date.
  • Night driving is easier with the Fortuner on high beam. The SX4 lights are plain inadequate. Even with Philips XtremePower, I have problems driving in the night on highways.
  • Taking photos of wildlife while self-driving is easier with the SX4. In fact, it is best in the Indica - I can easily reach the other window.
Actually, the Fortuner will be a good upgrade for you, given your use profile. Keep on dreaming and then make it happen
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2010, 17:37   #107
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Dr. AD: Thanks. I know you are enjoying your SX4. Will post a more detailed comparison later. Till date, I haven’t been on any roads/trails that I couldn’t have done with the SX4, and haven’t used the 4HL/4LL yet. I was planning to try out some interesting trails in tje Nilgiris this time, but my trip had to be cut short suddenly because something came up at home. Anyway, here are my summary thoughts:
Thanks a lot for the detailed comparison. I really appreciate this information. You are really using both SX4 and Fortuner the way they are supposed to be used (driving up the Nilgiris, for example) and hence it is great to read your views.

Enjoy your Fortuner, and I am staying tuned in to read your experiences when you use the 4HL/4LL on your Fortuner
Old 2nd November 2010, 12:58   #108
Senior - BHPian

3000 km update

She is running fine, as expected - no spicy issues to report :-)

The minor niggles that I have, I have reported earlier. However, during this last long trip, I didn't notice any seat rattles or squeaks.

One observation: after filling diesel at some pump on a state highway after Mettupalayam, the engine sounded coarser than usual. But it seems back to normal now after 2 days.

I had read that the Fortuner is pretty sensitive to fuel quality. The Toyota A.S.S guy told me to use normal diesel only - no Shell etc. Can I bank on most fuel pumps in our country? I go in only if I see many people filling fuel from there. Any inputs from Innova or other Toyota owners?
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:14   #109
BHPian

Well it is advisable to fill up from a pump that you usually go to or have a number of people who can vouch for the fuel quality.
But while travelling you won't have much of a choice, you will have to take your chances.

And use only normal diesel. No need for any Xtramile or similar products.
What exactly do you mean when you said 'Fortuner is pretty sensitive to fuel quality' ?

And BTW: Beautiful pictures! Especially of the car. Why don't you post a few pictures of the Bison in this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html

Last edited by TheStig : 2nd November 2010 at 15:21.
Old 2nd November 2010, 15:49   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Well it is advisable to fill up from a pump that you usually go to or have a number of people who can vouch for the fuel quality.
But while travelling you won't have much of a choice, you will have to take your chances.

And use only normal diesel. No need for any Xtramile or similar products.
What exactly do you mean when you said 'Fortuner is pretty sensitive to fuel quality' ?

And BTW: Beautiful pictures! Especially of the car. Why don't you post a few pictures of the Bison in this thread : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ge-thread.html
Till date, I haven't had any trouble with my other cars anywhere in India. Had been reading that the Fortuner was sensitive to South African fuel quality. But I hear that our Indian diesel quality is much better, so I guess I don't need to worry too much. nevertheless, next time, I will make sure that i keep filling up whenever I see a good pump on the highway instead of waiting too late.

Glad you like her pictures - thanks for the heads up - will post a few on that thread.

When is your black Fortuner coming?
Old 2nd November 2010, 16:40   #111
BHPian

Well actually I got a call from the sales rep saying that a black Fortuner has been alloted for the Trivandrum showroom. He said he will call me back when the car gets on the truck.

I was told to expect delivery in about 3 weeks.
So I have started all the formalities with the bank for the finance etc.
Old 2nd November 2010, 19:52   #112
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations! The wait is almost over...

Shared a few pictures (with some changes) on the thread you pointed me too...check them out.
Old 3rd November 2010, 20:44   #113
Senior - BHPian

Planned: a central India jungle trip/ road trip during end-Nov or early Dec. Pench, Kanha and Bandhavgarh.

Any wanderer interested in joining?
Old 3rd November 2010, 21:57   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Planned: a central India jungle trip/ road trip during end-Nov or early Dec. Pench, Kanha and Bandhavgarh.
Nilanjan, my family and I would have loved to join you on your 'central India jungle trip' except for this time. I am sure there will be some nice photos to show for after you do this trip. Good luck!

I have a request. While I am mostly done comparing Aria/Fortuner with a clear tilt for the latter, I am curious about the space in the 3rd row of Fortuner. If you can get me a pic with a 5'9" average weight person (which is my size) seated in the 3rd row...will really appreciate. Refer to my pic of the 3rd row Aria - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2103842

Forgive me for the odd request. Just being lazy to find a Fortuner and get myself pictured in the 3rd row

Thanks!
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:47   #115
BHPian

Quote:
Excuse the picture quality. I used MS Paint to mask the number plates, and the image quality degraded significantly.
My hearty congratulation to you on acquiring your dream suv.

Regarding masking the number plates, you can use irfan view. it does not degrade the quality of pictures.

Download IrfanView
Mr_Bean is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th November 2010, 19:36   #116
BHPian

3rd row

BTW, I had gone to change my number plates to the fancy embossed one and, lo and behold, there was a white fortuner there for installation of a touchscreen system. Since I couldn't hold my curiosity (about the 3rd row) I clambered in (after due permission and without footwear), into the 3rd row.

I have been wanting to compare the 3rd row in Fortuner and Aria. My impression is that Fortuner, and by extension, Innova perhaps, 3rd row is more comfortable. The seat seems deeper and floor level seems at same level as the middle row. So when you fold and tilt the middle row seat, you step in to the 3rd row easily. I recall the Aria 3rd row seat seemed fine, but the 3rd row floor seemed higher than the middle row. It seemed like I was stepping up into the 3rd row area, which I am assuming is the reason it was difficult to get in and out as well as while being seated.

In both cases of Aria and Fortuner, I had to slide the middle row forward completely to sit. Also, the Fortuner seat seemed better cushioned than the Aria, hence the sense that it was more comfortable.

Why am I so concerned with 3rd row? I am a keen 7/8 seat buyer and am keen that there be reasonable level of comfort for all seats. If I really didnt care about 2 extra seats that i use occasionally, then I would just change to a 5 seater and open up the choices - Xtrail, maybe X1, Yeti instead of a Fortuner or Aria. Honestly, I am even thinking of an Innova too!

@Nilanjan, I apologise for being OT on your thread so often. Just that I follow your Fortuner thread for your views...not to mention the jungle scenery! Please feel free to have it moved if you think it should be parked elsewhere.

Happy Diwali!
Old 4th November 2010, 20:38   #117
BHPian

Quote:

What about last week of december? I am still thinking about something to tempt me. Ofcourse I will come with my own ride.
Old 5th November 2010, 04:07   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
Nilanjan, my family and I would have loved to join you on your 'central India jungle trip' except for this time. I am sure there will be some nice photos to show for after you do this trip. Good luck!

I have a request. While I am mostly done comparing Aria/Fortuner with a clear tilt for the latter, I am curious about the space in the 3rd row of Fortuner. If you can get me a pic with a 5'9" average weight person (which is my size) seated in the 3rd row...will really appreciate. Refer to my pic of the 3rd row Aria - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offici...ml#post2103842

Forgive me for the odd request. Just being lazy to find a Fortuner and get myself pictured in the 3rd row

Thanks!
Dhuli,

out of the three you have outlined, it is clearly Innova (I own it and can travel long distances in 3rd Row) > Fortuner (Lower seating than Innova and marginally less space ) > Aria (Low seating, no headroom, no legroom) in Third Row space. I am 181 Cms and I cannot sit in the third Row of Aria at all.

Also note that you will get 3 seatbelts in the third row of Innova but 2 in case of a Fortuner (As it is a 7 seater ).

I was very confused between Fortuner and Innova too. But the fact that Fortuner ride is less settled on the freeway as well as the fact that I realised that I will never put a 25 lakh SUV through muck to enjoy the 4*4 capability, made me decide for Innova.

Looks/Image apart, where Fortuner wins hands down, The Innova, though significantly less powerful, not 4*4 and short geared still rides better on highways compared to the Fortuner and also has more space as well as comfort in seating. I do a lot of long distance driving and passenger comfort as well as ease of driving was the utmost priority.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 5th November 2010 at 04:15.
Old 5th November 2010, 08:12   #119
Senior - BHPian

Nilanjon - a belated congratulations o your beast. It is indeed a beauty, if you if can mix up those expressions

And this's a great narrative and brilliant photography.

Last edited by SkyWalker : 5th November 2010 at 08:14.
Old 5th November 2010, 09:30   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Innova, though significantly less powerful, not 4*4 and short geared still rides better on highways compared to the Fortuner
Without comparing it to the Innova: the Fortuner is very good on the highways. Makes for relaxed cruising, easy overtaking, great visibility and all-terrain handling. I haven't driven the Innova over long distances - so can't comment on it, but standalone, the Fortuner is good. I had concern over hill driving (winding roads), but that concern has been laid to rest after my last trip. It is a little bumpy, but that doesn't bother me too much - it is a conscious trade-off I opted for (old school tough SUV/4X4 vs. some bumpiness).

However, as I said, each person needs to consider his specific basket of needs and wants, and then see how each shortlisted vehicle measures up. I have done 3000 km in the last 5 weeks or so, and I am happy with my initial experience.

@ SkyWalker: Thanks. I won't call her beautiful though - perhaps handsome is a more apt word (no, that is not an oxymoron - 'handsome woman' - while an old phrase - is still very relevant in the right context). From the net: "handsome woman - a woman with the kind of refined beauty and attractiveness that requires poise, dignity, and strength of mind and character, things that often come with age; not merely sex-appeal."

One thing for sure - given her pedigree, she will age well.

Most Viewed