Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2011, 11:55   #301
BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

[quote=nilanjanray;2427766]Yes, it was Forest Hills. Glad you liked the place. Did you have any elephants moving around below in the evening?

We were informed by the resort staff about the same , however we didnot sight any elephants in the night / day during our stay . We saw quite a few of them enroute to the resort and on our return from ooty.
Old 15th July 2011, 17:28   #302
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

[quote=rm_arjuna;2428111]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Yes, it was Forest Hills. Glad you liked the place. Did you have any elephants moving around below in the evening?

We were informed by the resort staff about the same , however we did not sight any elephants in the night / day during our stay . We saw quite a few of them enroute to the resort and on our return from ooty.
I have some very interesting encounters with elephants there. You might not know that an elephant was hanging around - during my last stay there, there was an elephant 30 feet from the Treehouse, and a couple staying inside had no clue. I had to shout at them from the Machaan to make them aware - they were thinking of sitting on the steps!

On a separate note, slightly OT, but relevant to my cribs about Toyota A.S.S.:

My Indica came back from servicing and misc repairs. Total bill: 14K!!! If I sell it, I would probably get 3X of that amount.

Even then, the AC was not working (due to a defect in q Rs. 450 belt), one of the interiors lights was not getting switched on. These should have been checked as part of the standard checklist.

With Tata, one needs to micromanage everything. With Toyota and Maruti, the A.S.S. experience is somewhat better.
Old 19th July 2011, 02:33   #303
BHPian

Going a bit OT here:

@ Nilanjan

1. This might seem like a daft question, but I couldnt stop asking - Does the T-Fort have rear fog light(s) ?

2. And By The Way: Have you been keeping a watch on the EXAMM thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2433216

Do you think our T-Forts would make it through?

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 19th July 2011 at 02:38.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:14   #304
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Going a bit OT here:

@ Nilanjan

1. This might seem like a daft question, but I couldnt stop asking - Does the T-Fort have rear fog light(s) ?

2. And By The Way: Have you been keeping a watch on the EXAMM thread?

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2433216

Do you think our T-Forts would make it through?
Re rear fog lights: AFAIK, no...

Re EXAMM: I am not an offroading expert, but have taken the Fortuner through slush, up and down hills, and on bad trails. The Fortuner has loads of torque and a very capable vehicle. But it is also heavy, and has a long wheel base. There could be some issues due to the LWB or due to weight. Will have to look at the track in person to give a better answer.

EDIT: I looked at some of the pictures. The Fortuner should be able to handle the slush, but am nt sure about some of the going down then going up type of obstacles, or valley type trails - the space seems rather small. In any case, it would get bashed up for sure.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 19th July 2011 at 13:22.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 16:24   #305
BHPian

^^ Thanks for the reply about your off-roading abilities view point.

I was contemplating on going, but then thought that I should wait for my car to at least finish 7k kms and then think about off-roading.

And regarding the rear fog lights, I have put in a reply on Guderian Saab's thread , as to why I think its needful .

Please have a look at this post http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2435918
Old 22nd July 2011, 20:43   #306
Senior - BHPian

Read that some of the resorts in Masinagudi - my favourite haunt - will be closed down due to expansion of elephant corridor. Pity. Why give them permission in the first place?

Entire economy of Masinagudi revolves around tourism. The decision will affect quite a few locals.

Better make a trip soon while things are still in Supreme Court.
Old 22nd July 2011, 21:43   #307
Distinguished - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

@nilanjan:

I am familiar with the area as I do property development in the Niligiris. The problem is that many of the buildings are done with back door approvals from the village panchayat.

Basically, Panchayat could sanction upto only 1500 sq feet and Forest NOC is required if within 100 meters of reserve forest which many of these resorts are. Most of these resorts are definitely bigger than 1500 sq feet. These are built either in collusion with the panchayat or by getting permits in different peoples names.

I believe in balancing tourism & environment, but some of these resorts are build illegally and have erected electric fencing to keep elephants out. This has resulted in elephants making their way into human habitats as their traditional migration routes are now cut off.

Elephants and people have lived in that area for so many years, but the conflict has flared up only in the recent years.

Last edited by 4x4addict : 22nd July 2011 at 21:45.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:45   #308
BHPian

Hi Nilanjan!

Wanted to take some advice from you regarding the Boot Camp.
Since you've been a part of one, what would you recommend specifically about being most careful about - pertaining to our cars?
Hope the car doesn't get too worked up there..

Thanks in advance!
Cheers.

T-Fort Boot Camp in Mumbai:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2446368
Old 2nd August 2011, 15:28   #309
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Hi Nilanjan!

Wanted to take some advice from you regarding the Boot Camp.
Since you've been a part of one, what would you recommend specifically about being most careful about - pertaining to our cars?
Hope the car doesn't get too worked up there..

Thanks in advance!
Cheers.

T-Fort Boot Camp in Mumbai:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/4x4-ex...ml#post2446368
Hi, sorry I couldn't respond in time. Visiting this thread after a while, and was keeping busy. I checked out that thread - seems you had a great time at the Boot Camp! If you haven't done so, please get the underbody cleaning and appropriate greasing done asap - instructions given on Guderian's thread. Also, you might want to lower and raise the stepney - my stepney had got stuck with the accumulated and hardened mud after the camp - I had to wrestle to get it down. I have decided to do a complete lower + raise exercise once every quarter.

All fine with the Bison. No long drive for some time, getting restless. Planning something for the Aug 15th long weekend.

In the Fortuner music system, the FM sound volume is louder than CD sound volume, Wonder why. May be recording is not so good for most of the CDs.

This Saturday morning around 7 AM I saw a few TBHP vehicles parked outside our complex in front of the Sarjapur Road fuel pump. Was on urgent milk duty (had ran out of milk), so couldn't stop. Wonder whether there was some impromptu offroading going on. If so, I could have joined with the Bison.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 2nd August 2011 at 15:34.
Old 4th August 2011, 00:33   #310
BHPian

Quote:
I checked out that thread - seems you had a great time at the Boot Camp!

Also, you might want to lower and raise the stepney - my stepney had got stuck with the accumulated and hardened mud after the camp - I had to wrestle to get it down. I have decided to do a complete lower + raise exercise once every quarter.
Yes indeed!

Specially while turning at the slushy corners - you tap the foot a little, and the heavy torque in 2nd gear (remember you're in HL mode), makes the car drift. The car slides perfectly and you can easily control the drift too - Enough G Forces to tantalize the adventurous side of you

And thanks for the spare wheel tip!
Old 25th August 2011, 22:58   #311
Senior - BHPian

Decided to pick up some non-beginner fundas on 4W driving. I taught myself digital photography by reading and then experimenting. Plan to do the same with 4W driving. Nothing like a good book for reference, while I do my 'practicals' on my trips. Decided to buy this book: Books - 4WD Handbook @ ExplorOz Shop. Ordered it from the Aussie website. Let's see how long it takes to come.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 25th August 2011 at 23:01.
Old 26th August 2011, 09:49   #312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Decided to buy this book: Books - 4WD Handbook @ ExplorOz Shop. Ordered it from the Aussie website. Let's see how long it takes to come.
Hi Nils,
Been a long time !
How is Bison doing ? No progress report for a long time. What kind of FE figures are you getting these days in Bangalore ?
And does the steering feel a little ligher now ?

That book looks good. Let me know once you receive it. Will download tips from you !
Old 26th August 2011, 13:22   #313
Senior - BHPian

Steering feels/has felt the same. Handling has improved for the past few thousands of kms, as I have mentioned - likely due to more familiarity with the vehicle. I have stopped looking at FE...but I usually get around 10.5-11 kmpl.

Was not well for a while, so nothing to report. Will make up for that once I am fully up and running. The restlessness is pushing me towards increased armchair or laptop driving...thus buying books etc.
Old 26th August 2011, 13:40   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Steering feels/has felt the same. Handling has improved for the past few thousands of kms, as I have mentioned - likely due to more familiarity with the vehicle. I have stopped looking at FE...but I usually get around 10.5-11 kmpl.

Was not well for a while, so nothing to report. Will make up for that once I am fully up and running. The restlessness is pushing me towards increased armchair or laptop driving...thus buying books etc.
Hi Nils,
Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your indisposition. Get well soon !

1. About the steering - what I've felt on the Admiral is that it has turned light compared to the early days. Sort of easier to turn etc - not that it was particularly hard earlier - but comparitively. So was wondering - but yes it could be psychological too. Yes handling actually improves because of ones feel of the vehicle's behaviour !
2. Great FE for city running - and that too Bangalore.
3. Any change in the engine noise as it settles down ? Any reduction in the in cabin noise ?
Old 26th August 2011, 13:51   #315
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nils,
Thanks.
Sorry to hear about your indisposition. Get well soon !

1. About the steering - what I've felt on the Admiral is that it has turned light compared to the early days. Sort of easier to turn etc - not that it was particularly hard earlier - but comparitively. So was wondering - but yes it could be psychological too. Yes handling actually improves because of ones feel of the vehicle's behaviour !
2. Great FE for city running - and that too Bangalore.
3. Any change in the engine noise as it settles down ? Any reduction in the in cabin noise ?
Steering: probably more psychological, I feel. Or maybe you have embarked on a serious weight training routine?

Vehicle seems to be quieter now. But, noise also depends on fuel - a few times, after filling diesel from highway pumps, I have felt that the engine was running coarser - went away after new tankful was done.

Also, after a long high speed run, if you idle the vehicle for a few minutes, the vehicle feels smoother when it starts moving again. Have you noticed this?

Regarding Bangalore: I stay in the outskirts, so can enjoy empty roads. I get around 10 when I go inside the city.

Most Viewed