Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 19:06   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Thanks for the suggestions - will try out the other keys.

Thing is, the problem has come up just 3 times in one year - and gone away in a few seconds. So not sure what is going wrong.
Old 12th September 2011, 17:14   #332
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner sales in South Africa

While interacting with a South African guy about the Fortuner, came to know about Fortuner and Hilux sales.
Best Selling Cars – Matt's blog » South Africa August 2011: VW Polo Vivo now #1 year-to-date
  • Hilux: 2900+
  • Fortuner: 1700+
  • Isuzu KB Ute: ~ 1100
Rest of the SUVs/ Utes much lower.

The Fort has been there in SA for many years. Strong sales and good resale prices after many years, in a SUV and Ute crazy country, speak well of long term reliability and capabilities. Long term ownership reviews suggest that I have a good chance of continuing to enjoy a hassle free ownership experience 5 years down the line.
Old 12th September 2011, 18:05   #333
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fortuner sales in South Africa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
While interacting with a South African guy about the Fortuner, came to know about Fortuner and Hilux sales.
Those figures are really an eye opener. In India, Suzuki alone is selling nearly more than 1.5 times (77K) as many cars as they sell in toto (about 51k). Their top selling car (VW Polo) sells just 3.3K units followed by T Hilux at 2.9K! TOFU (1.7K) is selling nearly as much as the FIGO (1.8k). I am glad to see Tata Indica in the list but at only 135 units. No sign of Suzuki except the Swift at no. 49 at a paltry 131 units and SX4 at no. 64 (119 units).

Remarkable...
Old 12th September 2011, 18:12   #334
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Yes, I was pleasantly surprised with the sales of the TFort and the Hilux. Btw, Hilux continues to be the #1 Ute in Australia. The Fortuner sells ~ 1000 each month in SA, and I suspect the jump is due to old model clearance discounts and/or new model booking.

Now if only they would retrofit the VSC and rear diff lock in India :-)

By the way, the key problem hasn't been repeated. Strange.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th September 2011 at 18:18.
Old 31st October 2011, 11:33   #335
Senior - BHPian

18000+ km update

I have been traveling extensively, so haven't had much chance to drive the beast.

I am having minor issues with a tyre. The front left one. Pressure goes down to 25 PSI after a few days, but doesn't go down further. The other tyres maintain their pressure pretty well.

I had scraped the sidewall many days back, but couldn't see any signs of damage. Don't think that is the culprit. Thinking of going underneath the vehicle and thoroughly checking the tyre for signs of damage, nails sticking out etc.

If I can't find anything, maybe I should get it checked at the service centre. The other option is to keep filling up and wait for 20000km and take it to the TASS.

OT: I was out of town for sometime. Coming back, I see that many of the lanes (e.g. the inside road leading to EGL, Domlur) and some of the village roads near Sarjapur have become worthy of being called 4WD tracks. I feel sorry for the poor hatches and sedans gingerly going over them. Wonder where the humongous road taxes I (and others pay) go...
Old 31st October 2011, 12:22   #336
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
18000+ km update
I am having minor issues with a tyre. The front left one. Pressure goes down to 25 PSI after a few days, but doesn't go down further. The other tyres maintain their pressure pretty well.
This happened to my Fusion too. The issue was due to a minute puncture in the side wall of the tyre. Take it to any good puncture shop, ask them to reduce the pressure and check for the air leak. The leak was not visible at full/normal pressure and was only visible at low pressure.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2011, 12:36   #337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAS View Post
This happened to my Fusion too. The issue was due to a minute puncture in the side wall of the tyre. Take it to any good puncture shop, ask them to reduce the pressure and check for the air leak. The leak was not visible at full/normal pressure and was only visible at low pressure.
Will do that - thanks.

Did you have to replace the tyre? I am usually paranoid about sidewall damages.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:45   #338
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will do that - thanks.

Did you have to replace the tyre? I am usually paranoid about sidewall damages.
I did not replace the tyre. The hole was made bigger and repaired in the usual way. I have run the tyre, after the puncture for over 20 K kms without a problem.
Old 31st October 2011, 14:40   #339
j76
BHPian

Yes do as suggested by @MAS. This could also happen because of a faulty valve. Mine had a similar issue with the pressure going down to 27 and remaining at around that on my Corolla.
Old 1st November 2011, 14:07   #340
Senior - BHPian

A few pictures from a recent roadtrip...

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8218.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8350.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8346.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8431.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8354.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8452.jpg
nilanjanray is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2011, 14:10   #341
BHPian

beautiful pics as usual . Must be ooty is it ? The Tfort looks stunning .
Old 1st November 2011, 14:19   #342
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortuner71 View Post
beautiful pics as usual . Must be ooty is it ? The Tfort looks stunning .
Thanks. This was in Kalahatti. Had a good time going up and down the hairpin bends multiple times a day in pouring rain. While one can't throw the Fortuner like a Swift in those ghats, the torque makes climbing a breeze.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:00   #343
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nils,
Wonderful snaps.
Wish there could have been more of the good ol' Bison in them !

Last edited by Guderian : 1st November 2011 at 18:02.
Old 1st November 2011, 20:36   #344
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nils,
Wonderful snaps.
Wish there could have been more of the good ol' Bison in them !
Thanks. This trip was done a few weeks back, and then I went out of country for a while. Someday I will take the Bison and use it as a model in interesting places. Nowadays I forget to click her photos - poor girl is probably wondering whether I still find her attractive.

By the way, I am firming up on Leh plans for next year - probably Sep. Should be a great opportunity for some nice photoshoots.

Who wants to join?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 1st November 2011 at 21:02.
Old 2nd November 2011, 07:44   #345
BHPian

Quote:

By the way, I am firming up on Leh plans for next year - probably Sep. Should be a great opportunity for some nice photoshoots.

Who wants to join?

Me too thinking again about september. Once Leh'ed can't forget the high of the big 'O'. However i was planning for the Zanskar circuit. i may not get the leaves for the whole circuit. Lets see if it work outs..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks