Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd May 2012, 17:31   #466
BANNED

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Got my first bang at the back :-(

A portion of the bumper (6-7 inches) is caved in. I tried pressing it down but it won't fully go in.
A friend's City recently got a huge hit on its rear bumper and it had not only caved in but also cracked at a few places and a good mechanic working at one of the reputed brands fixed it for me at his friend's shop for a very nominal cost since the City's insurance too had expired a day before the accident.

Do let me know if you need me to pitch in and get this fixed, it is eminently possible and spending 10 grand for a 7inch dent on the bumper is not required IMO.
n.devdath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:30   #467
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions folks!

Posting a few pictures - let me know what you guys think about the best way to fix this.

View from rear. Bumper bent and lifted for ~ 12 inches wide area. 3-4 small scrape marks near the bottom. It was bent more, I pressed it down a bit.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120522-15.14.01_resized.jpg

View from the top.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120522-15.14.42_resized.jpg

View from rear right - gives a perspective of how it looks within the overall scheme of things.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120522-15.15.08_resized.jpg

I am hoping that this can be fixed cheaply by a local expert without replacement. Minor blemishes are alright, since my vehicle gets scratches on an ongoing basis - will never be perfect.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:51   #468
Senior - BHPian

@Nilanjan, the dent does not seem to be big enough to warrant a replacement of the bumper. Mine was much bigger than this and it was brought back to shape by heating it up and pulling it out.

Not sure about the scratches on the bumper and if it needs repainting. If you need let me know i can ask my SA the name/location of the place from were he got my Baleno's bumper fixed.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 23rd May 2012 at 12:09.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 11:55   #469
Senior - BHPian

OK. Going by the pics, the damage is minor. No point in replacing the entire bumper.

The process goes like this.

1. Tech will apply some paint protection liquid at the area of impact.
2. Tech will use a very high power light and it emanates heat.
3. Area becomes soft and workable.
4. From here it all depends of the movements and skill of your tech to restore the original shape.

Good Luck !!

Last edited by F150 : 23rd May 2012 at 11:57. Reason: Added line break
F150 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 13:33   #470
BANNED

Quote:
I am hoping that this can be fixed cheaply by a local expert without replacement. Minor blemishes are alright, since my vehicle gets scratches on an ongoing basis - will never be perfect.
This is a minor damage Nilanjan, and its repair should not cost you anything significant. Let me know if you want me to provide you the guy who fixed the City's bumper which looked like this when dented.
Attached Thumbnails
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-city.jpg  

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-city1.jpg  

Old 23rd May 2012, 15:13   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words and the suggestions folks!

Posting a few pictures - let me know what you guys think about the best way to fix this.
Nils,
This is nothing. This is almost the condition which Admiral found himself in after a brush with a bus in Oct 2011. I repaired the damage myself using F1 Scratch Out, Dupli Color Paint Pen and F1 Car Polish.
I have documented the same in my thread. The bulge can be straightened by you using the poultice method.
1. Bunch smooth cloth into a hard mass.
2. Apply on a moderately hot surface - electric hot plate and a griddle/pan is just fine.
3. Apply cloth on the bulge hard. Wait & press bumper with palm.
4. Do this 5-7 times and you'll find the surface straightening out.
5. After it is satisfactorily flattened out - then start with the F1 Scratch Out followed by paint pen and polish.
6. Lo and behold - A new bumper !

If I was anywhere near you would have done it myself...or you could come down to Thane ! Only thing you may need to go out for is for Bison's shade of Grey...for a touch up. But that's a minor point - may not even need it after the Scratch Out and polish.
Guderian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2012, 15:31   #472
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
This is a minor damage Nilanjan, and its repair should not cost you anything significant. Let me know if you want me to provide you the guy who fixed the City's bumper which looked like this when dented.
Dear Dev,
Unless this person does not want his number to be mentioned in the public, why not just post it straight away?
Along with Niranjan, you would be helping others too.
@Niranjan, sorry about this bruise on Bison.
Cheers,
Deepak
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:30   #473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Thanks for the pics Devnath - if that bump can be sorted out, the one on my car would be simpler. Can you share the contacts over PM or on this thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Nils,
This is nothing. This is almost the condition which Admiral found himself in after a brush with a bus in Oct 2011. I repaired the damage myself using F1 Scratch Out, Dupli Color Paint Pen and F1 Car Polish.
Reassuring to know that, General! Am swamped with work and other stuff, so don't have time right now to go buy all the things (making sure I am getting original stuff), and then embarlk on a DIY exercise. But I will try out your steps on some of the other scratches and chips I have. Naive question: what kind of paint is used for touching up? And is it available in normal paint shops, or should I get it from the ASC?

So on my to do list:

1. Get this bump sorted out

2. Get other/future bumps, chips and scratches repaired using Guderian's and Manuuj's techniques.

3. Get the windshield polished - have a few minor scratches and chips. Mostly happen when I am following a truck that is carrying unsecured gravel/sand/stones etc. One is helpless when that truck goes over a pothole and starts spilling its stuff. While I try to overtake such a vehicle as fast as possible, sometimes one gets stuck for a few seconds/minutes.
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:04   #474
BANNED

Quote:
Thanks for the pics Devnath - if that bump can be sorted out, the one on my car would be simpler. Can you share the contacts over PM or on this thread?
PMed you Nilanjan, my number and the other details.
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:09   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Naive question: what kind of paint is used for touching up? And is it available in normal paint shops, or should I get it from the ASC?
You can get it from the ASC but they won't give it you without a fight ! For they'll want to do it themselves and charge you a bomb.
Best - go to a car (paint) workshop and get about 10 ml...of the right shade...

Last edited by Guderian : 23rd May 2012 at 19:15.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th May 2012, 21:45   #476
Senior - BHPian

The Fortuner performed well last Sunday while going over some rough terrain with loose soil. Had done an afternoon trip to a lake in the middle of the jungle, passing through Bannerghata National park (pics here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ml#post2790106).

Close to 32000km now, she is running smoothly apart from the issues that I have mentioned.

A few recent pictures of the Bison.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120520-16.45.29.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120526-14.23.03.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120520-16.46.10.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 28th May 2012 at 22:10.
Old 29th May 2012, 05:02   #477
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Fortuner performed well last Sunday while going over some rough terrain with loose soil. Had done an afternoon trip to a lake in the middle of the jungle, passing through Bannerghata National park
I spotted your Fortuner on Saturday while we were on a Saturday evening drive. I'm not sure if you noticed but i flashed the headlights of my Scorpio while we passed each other on the road linking Sarjapur road to Hosur road - not sure what that road is called. This road has some mangroves along the stretch.
Old 29th May 2012, 09:07   #478
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I spotted your Fortuner on Saturday while we were on a Saturday evening drive. I'm not sure if you noticed but i flashed the headlights of my Scorpio while we passed each other on the road linking Sarjapur road to Hosur road - not sure what that road is called. This road has some mangroves along the stretch.
Sorry, don't think I noticed - too many people flash lights . Now if you had overtaken me then I might have see the sticker.

Actually my drive was on Saturday (not Sunday - as I mistakenly said above), so must have been coming back after the afternoon trip. I assume you are talking about Chandrapura Road - sometime between 6.30 and 7 pm?
Old 29th May 2012, 09:20   #479
Senior - BHPian

Hi Nilanjan,

Your bumper is hardly damaged considering the city. I'd suggest you to leave it for a while and let it become even more damaged, before considering a repair. It just requires some heating and pressing. I'd suggest you to get a bumper nudge guard which'd cost around INR 2500/- to protect your bumper.

In Bangalore, either Thouqeer or Ahmedjan would fix them. PM me for their contacts.

regards,

Nitin
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2012, 09:52   #480
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Sorry, don't think I noticed - too many people flash lights . Now if you had overtaken me then I might have see the sticker.

Actually my drive was on Saturday (not Sunday - as I mistakenly said above), so must have been coming back after the afternoon trip. I assume you are talking about Chandrapura Road - sometime between 6.30 and 7 pm?
The time was about 5:30 PM on Saturday evening. I was also on a leisurely evening drive which we regularly go for, when i spotted you in the opposite direction. Actually, we live kinda close by, and i regularly spot both your Fortuner as well as SX4 on Sarjapur road.

Most Viewed