Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2010, 00:30   #46
HKP
BHPian

Amazing Pics

Very good quality pictures. May I ask what camera?

The way you have written the thread is superb. Congrats on owning one of the best looking SUV on Team-BHP...

When you get a chance, please click some more pics of the Inside view of the car too.

\\hkp
Old 20th October 2010, 09:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Thanks HKP. I used a Nikon D90.

I haven't taken inside pics of the vehicle yet, but will do so. Meanwhile, you can check out GTO's Fortuner review thread - it has quite a few interior photos.
Old 20th October 2010, 10:05   #48
Senior - BHPian

This is how she looks with the Team BHP sticker:
Attached Thumbnails
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3014a.jpg  

nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th October 2010, 10:45   #49
Senior - BHPian

Dear Nilanjan,

Let me congratulate you on your latest acquisition.

Your Fortuner looks stunning in Black.We do not get to see many blacks in Hyderabad as this city is obsessed with White Fortuners.

Betw-I really liked the way you started your thread.
Old 20th October 2010, 12:29   #50
Senior - BHPian

2000 km update

She is running fine, as expected. Only minor issue: minor rattles from front seats when going over bad roads - somewhat unexpected. Toyota called up and asked me to bring the vehicle for check-up - they have been proactively following up. Don't have time now, might go during the weekend. Sun film is also pending. This is a MUST, as I have realized when driving long hours during the day.

Still getting 11-11.5 kmpl. Top speed reached has been 150 kmph on NICE Road - vehicle was much steadier than my SX4 (which is still running on stock Vectras).
Old 20th October 2010, 15:38   #51
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
She is running fine, as expected. Only minor issue: minor rattles from front seats when going over bad roads - somewhat unexpected. Toyota called up and asked me to bring the vehicle for check-up - they have been proactively following up. Don't have time now, might go during the weekend. Sun film is also pending. This is a MUST, as I have realized when driving long hours during the day.

Still getting 11-11.5 kmpl. Top speed reached has been 150 kmph on NICE Road - vehicle was much steadier than my SX4 (which is still running on stock Vectras).

11.5 is really good for a SUV of this size. Don't worry, the figure will improve after the second service.

A friend of mine is getting 13 kpl on his highway runs.

Will you be adding any Toyota accessories?
Old 20th October 2010, 19:13   #52
Senior - BHPian

I believe I can get more than 11.5 kmpl if I try, but since the vehicle is still running in, I try to vary the RPMs, and also take her up once in a while. I know that steady cruising around 2000 RPM will give very good mileage.

I had thought about the bullbars, side claddings and originial mats. Discarded the idea of getting these after checking them out in person. Immediate plans: sun film + upgrade the ICE. The Innova rubber mats are great for me, since they get dirty on every outstation trip e.g. to the jungles or anywhere muddy.

Might add fog lights (Hella/Lightforce) later on - but will have to add a bullbar for that.
Old 20th October 2010, 20:38   #53
BHPian

Quote:
I had thought about the bullbars, side claddings and originial mats. Discarded the idea of getting these after checking them out in person.
Why is that so? I'm asking because I've also booked a black Fortuner and is planning on getting the side claddings and bullbar among others.

Did you decide against them because they were of poor quality?
And please keep us updated about your ICE upgrade, I'm looking for ideas
Old 21st October 2010, 13:23   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Why is that so? I'm asking because I've also booked a black Fortuner and is planning on getting the side claddings and bullbar among others.

Did you decide against them because they were of poor quality?
And please keep us updated about your ICE upgrade, I'm looking for ideas
Right now I am focusing on getting what is practical, rather than what is nice to have/will look good.

The Toyota showroom tried to convince me about some JVC model with navigation etc (forgot the model name) - costs 33K. Pioneer 4250 is also an option. I will first change the speakers, then the HU, and then decide whether to add a sub.

I would love to add front and side sonar-based sensors (like Prado's) - will check with Toyota about that.
Old 21st October 2010, 17:38   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Right now I am focusing on getting what is practical, rather than what is nice to have/will look good.

The Toyota showroom tried to convince me about some JVC model with navigation etc (forgot the model name) - costs 33K. Pioneer 4250 is also an option. I will first change the speakers, then the HU, and then decide whether to add a sub.

I would love to add front and side sonar-based sensors (like Prado's) - will check with Toyota about that.
Yeah even I was approached with this navigation system one, but they din't tell me the brand. Pioneer is the best, IMO, when it comes to headunits. And the 4250 is a good choice for the Fortuner. You can also install a reverse camera and have it display its images on the headunit screen. I dont think the JVC is worth spending 33k on.

Do keep us updated regarding the sonar based sensors.
And we need more pics sir! I Guess you are a very busy man!
Old 21st October 2010, 20:35   #56
Senior - BHPian

First trip to Bandipur…continued

The tiger/tigress (couldn’t make out) was in an ambush mode, crouching behind a bush and waiting for the gaurs – especially the small ones – to come towards it. It must have taken a detour behind the undergrowth, and again come near the path. The gaurs ran towards it, unaware of its presence as they ran blindly away from our vehicle. Then the tiger, jumping out, struck out with its paw as one small gaur came near it. The gaur somehow swerved, escaped (perhaps with some scratches, don’t know), and all of them came running back towards our vehicle. This happened in 2 seconds, so I had no chance of taking any picture – the vehicle was moving, and my camera was pointed elsewhere. We were thrilled, and waited for 20 min at that spot. But the tiger didn’t bless us with another darshan. So we eventually moved on.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-csc_2196.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2108.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-csc_2416.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2112.jpg

Rest of the safari was uneventful. After coming back, I checked out from Jungle Lodges because all rooms were booked for the weekend. I was wondering where to go, since I didn’t want to go Masinagudi this time. Checked with Tusker Trails ...they had a room, so there I went. The drive from the Bandipur Tourist Centre to Hangala (or Mangala – one is near Tusker Trails, the other a few kms before Bandipur gate – I keep on mixing up the names) village is nice – one has to take a left turn after the Tourist Centre. This was the first time I was travelling on this road, so I went further onwards, trying to figure out where the road went. Eventually I came to know that one branch of the road, after much meandering, hits the Chamrajnagar – Gundlepet road.

Tusker Trails was a bit disappointing. First, there was an issue with parking space. Then, I realized that the resort was not really my type. I like wide open spaces and a balcony/sit-out where I can just relax through the day and evening – and where I have a nice view of the surrounding jungle/mountains. At Tusker Trails, the rooms were luxurious, but there was no place with a view, and the campus was a bit claustrophobic. Anyway, I went for a drive in the afternoon to Mudumalai (didn’t see anything), came back, and then went for the evening safari. Saw many bisons, and a herd of elephants that we followed for some time.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2118.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2168.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2163.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2212.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2948.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2815.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2848.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2957.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2852.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2861.jpg
Old 21st October 2010, 20:38   #57
Senior - BHPian

That Saturday was supposed to be a dry day. I had decided that since I was not going out anywhere in the evening, and was staying in the room (the campfire looked artificial, was crowded with typical city folks), I needed a drink. So I drove almost halfway to Nanjangud in my search for an open wine shop. Unfortunately, didn’t see anything interesting, though I was hoping that I would see a big cat in the powerful beams (I could drive on high beams peacefully since there was very little traffic on the roads). Came back, lit a couple of candles, and spent a reflective evening in the room. Next day I left pretty early, since the house pump had conked off in the morning, and my wife was breathing fire over the phone.

The return drive was rather relaxing – the Fortuner just keeps on cruising, and I was maintaining a sedate pace since I was yet to go for the first servicing. I crossed 1000kms while coming back, so took the vehicle for its first servicing after a couple of days.
Old 22nd October 2010, 00:23   #58
BHPian

Nice snaps. Through your lens you have revealed the joy of travel and off roading (not the macho prepared stuff alone)...but the relaxed laid back off roading or should one call it 'off road wandering'. Your story clearly is of the Fortuner that was instrumental, yet not visible. It is almost like saying Veni, Vidi, Vici...but no footprints behind. Just nice memories. Guess I am connecting with you spirit. I am a travelling man.
keep on reflecting!
Old 22nd October 2010, 18:32   #59
Senior - BHPian

Thanks. I have little interest in going rock climbing or mud plugging for the sake of doing it, unless the destination or trail calls for it. But I do love nature, wildlife and mountains. I am now waiting to visit the central Indian jungles, where own vehicle/4X4 is allowed.
Old 22nd October 2010, 20:30   #60
Team-BHP Support

Though a bit late, but congrats on getting the Fortuner. The pics are very good. Wish you many miles of happiness with the beast.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks