Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2018, 20:22   #691
Senior - BHPian

KA to UK

I took up a job in Gurgaon, and so had to bring Bison along :-)

The Bangalore - NCR monsoon drive was interesting, done over 2.5 days. Day 1: Bangalore to Pench. Day 2: Pench to Agra Day 3: Gurgaon.

Note: planning matters a lot. Weather conditions (very important during monsoon), crossing a city bottleneck, road conditions, when one should cross the badlands (e.g. Chambal stretch; note: conditions are a lot 'tamer' now, compared to three years back when I did Jhansi - Agra in the night) etc. Especially when one has a deadline to go from A to B.

Had got rid of my Pirellis (Scorpion ATs) and shifted to the Yoko Geolanders (G015, A/T) after much research and deliberation. Till date (fingers crossed), the Yokos have performed rather well. I have driven through pouring rain, done fast highway cruises, and driven on rocky trails. Except road noise, these Yokos seem to be better than my old Pirelli Scorpion ATs in all aspects. Of course, need to see how damage/puncture resistant they are over at least 50K km :-) Anyway, happy with the tyres, till now.

I had to take Bison to the Himalayas the first chance I got. She has been enjoying. Will share a few photos.

130K service coming up. One advantage with a Toyota Fortuner - usual numbers cease to matter. One can do what one wants to do even after passing 100K km. Without much worry. :-)

MP forests, digital painting based on a photo. Yes, of course I did a detour at the cost of a few hours :-)
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5077_00001c2.jpg

7500 feet, Himalayas.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5620_00001c.jpg

A kaleidoscope of butterflies. Encountered while driving on a lonely forest road near Corbett.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_6157_00001cb.jpg

KA to UK
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5647_00001c.jpg

Just before it started pouring cats and dogs. Shot somewhere on the N-S corridor, near Sagar, MP.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_51121b.jpg

Exploring near Pangot, Nainital.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5310_00001cb.jpg

Bison time :-)
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5616_00001.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 31st July 2018 at 20:43.
nilanjanray is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2019, 15:45   #692
Senior - BHPian

140,000 km | Bison going to be nine years old | Spiti beckons

Updating this thread after a long time. Bison has been doing quite a few trips to the forests and mountains of North India. She keeps purring along, gonna be nine years old this month.

I have shifted to Yoko G015s (Geolander A/T). Only one puncture till now (fingers crossed), that was due to a nail. It performs pretty well in wet conditions. Let's see how it handles Spiti. I am driving there with a few friends later this week.

Bought a few things for the trip. These were long pending, used the Spiti trip as an excuse to finally buy them.
* Another Yoko G015 for the stepney. I had been using my old Pirelli Scorpion ATR till now.
* Vantro power inverter
* Lukzer anti-slip traction tread board. Would have preferred longer/larger ones, but could only find expensive imported options on Amazon. Yes, one can always use a simple wooden board, but that is a little unwieldy.
* Jumper cables, the Amazon-branded one.
* Haathi tow strap and D shackles
* Puncture repair kit

Will do the servicing after I come back.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 2nd September 2019 at 18:48. Reason: Removed IG links and restored post. Please post the snaps directly on the forum. Thanks.
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2019, 09:34   #693
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!

Considering you are in Gurgaon will the 10 year diesel ban affect your car?
Old 23rd November 2020, 15:18   #694
Senior - BHPian

6000+ km roadtrip | 157,000 km

Got back to Gurgaon after traveling cross-country and immersing myself in the midst of wildlife and nature. My company has a 'work from anywhere' option so as long one has good WiFi and a clean + sanitized room, one is good. Did the long drives over the weekends, and took leave when I didn't have a signal e.g. in Corbett forest rest houses.

Route: Gurgaon - Pench - Bangalore - Tadoba - Bandhavgarh - Panna NP (stayed at BHPian Trojan's camp, highly recommended!) - Pilibhit Tiger Reserve - Corbett - Gurgaon. With some offroading on forest trails and many random drives to explore the countryside.

Went through some bad roads, and often traveled in the evening/night. Bison did everything without a protest, not a single issue. She handled some horrendous roads with aplomb, and made Google Map reconsider - quite a few times - what is possible with a trusty 4WD when one is venturing onto unknown roads.

Sharing a couple of photos, yet to start curating the RAW files and process. Have plans to write a travelogue.

Young leopardess
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc3581_00001a.jpg

Oriental pied hornbill
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc5122_00001.jpg

Bull gaur in golden light
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc3030_00003.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 23rd November 2020 at 15:20.
nilanjanray is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 9th April 2021, 00:13   #695
Senior - BHPian

162K+ km: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner

162K++ km done. Been traveling a bit. Mainly RJ, UK, and UP. 160K servicing was expensive because I had to replace front brake discs (after 37K km) + coolant + some other stuff. But Bison is purring along pretty fine

I would recommend the Yoko A/T G015s. Allrounder for someone who cruises on highways and then offroads. They have handled all sorts of terrain - highways, rocky trails, snow, sand, wet roads, etc. pretty well.

Safari, Dudhwa National Park, UP, near the Nepal border. Beautiful sal forests.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc2687_00003b.jpg

Paradise flycatcher.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc5511_00001b.jpg

A less encountered tigress, Ranthambore.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc2436_00002b.jpg

Panchachuli peaks, somewhere near Munsiyari, around midnight.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc0061_00001c.jpg

Sunset, Desert National Park, near Jaisalmer.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc6562_00001.jpg

Demoiselle cranes near Jodhpur. They are one of the highest-flying birds, they cross the Himalayas when migrating from Central Asia/ Mongolia, sometimes flying at 26,000+ feet. They complete the journey in 5-6 days.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc9371_00001b.jpg

Just before sunrise, Eastern Uttarakhand.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc9486_00001b.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th April 2021 at 00:21.
nilanjanray is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 11th July 2021, 21:44   #696
BHPian

Re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!

Greetings Nilanjan - this should be the longest running Fortuner ownership thread, and what an epic thread !!! Remember reading this closely as I firmed up my mid 2012 acquisition of a 4x2 AT. While Guderian departed and many others sold etc., it's an enduring pleasure to read your thread still going strong

At 9yrs\90k my steed is still a pony and I intend to keep it forever. Rozinante had a close call in 2019 and survived unscathed by itself. That incident endeared it to us, and any thoughts of replacing evaporated. Invested in factory repainting to rejuvenate the lush black majesty. Hope diesel rules don't crop up in Bangalore shortening it's life

If you are visiting Bangalore, you should call for a Fortuner get together !
RoadFiend is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:43   #697
Senior - BHPian

Re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadFiend View Post
Greetings Nilanjan - this should be the longest running Fortuner ownership thread, and what an epic thread !!! Remember reading this closely as I firmed up my mid 2012 acquisition of a 4x2 AT. While Guderian departed and many others sold etc., it's an enduring pleasure to read your thread still going strong

At 9yrs\90k my steed is still a pony and I intend to keep it forever. Rozinante had a close call in 2019 and survived unscathed by itself. That incident endeared it to us, and any thoughts of replacing evaporated. Invested in factory repainting to rejuvenate the lush black majesty. Hope diesel rules don't crop up in Bangalore shortening it's life

If you are visiting Bangalore, you should call for a Fortuner get together !
Thanks. Bison is doing ok, though haven't driven much in the last few months. Had to replace the alternator pulley, otherwise things are fine with the vehicle. I was driving to the Himalayas and faced the issue near Moradabad. Other Fortuner owners - Team BHP contacts - helped me to get in touch with the right folks in the ASC and get things sorted the same afternoon.

Fingers crossed, but the Yokos have been pretty decent for my kind of usage - highway + offroading.

Himalayas, monsoon mist
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_5642_00001.jpg

Female khalij pheasant
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc5096_00001.jpg

Elephant near Corbett National Park
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc3128_00001.jpg

Lemon-rumped warbler having a bath in a Himalayan rivulet
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc6570_00001.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 19:12   #698
Senior - BHPian

When I talk about driving to some remote forest rest house, which requires a 4x4...well, an example :-)

Somewhere in Uttarakhand. No help around. So, you have to rely on your trusty Toyota. Anyway, if I hadn't found the way (another story, will write a travelogue), I would have been ready to park somewhere in the forest and light a fire and make maggi and then go to sleep. I saw many (fresh...trust me, I can make out) tiger spoors. But the elephants worried me. Anyway, got to the FRH around 7.30 pm (this was late Dec, Uttarakhand, so you can imagine the darkness).

Watch after 20s.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 13th September 2021 at 19:30.
nilanjanray is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 09:25   #699
BHPian

Lovely to see Bison still going strong. The sound of the engine in the video took me back to my time with Obelix. Really miss the ol chap.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-img_20180829_131333_249.jpg

How many kms has Bison covered? Do the NCR cops trouble you over the 10 year rule?

The video was lovely! Where was this beautiful road? Which FRH?
Manuuj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 19:15   #700
Senior - BHPian

It is such a pain not to drive the vehicle in Delhi - NCR! Bison mostly roams around in Uttarakhand and Rajasthan, chasing cats and Himalayan peaks in golden light and sunrises and sunsets and FRHs.

Close to 200K km now. AC conked off after a 10K service. It was working fine before that. I am not sure whether I need to replace the part (clutch assembly magnet, part no A-8410-0K200), or it was due to some error. Grrr. Outside NCR, jugaaaru guys usually don't have much clue. And I can't even get the vehicle inside NCR where there are so many experts!

There was an issue with the boot, it suddenly stopped opening when I was driving to Gangotri. Got it fixed at some ASC. Again the same problem happened. BUT. I was driving over rough roads, and crossed a bump at moderate speed. I heard a click. Voila. Boot door opened. And the issue seemed to have sorted itself out. Fingers crossed, all fine now.

#BisonTimes

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-2a.jpg
Trishul, monsoon

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_98382.jpg
Some stream outside Corbett. A tiger was seen here that morning, was waiting to have an encounter.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_98242.jpg
Kosi river bed, Kaas grass, near Corbett. Was waiting for a tiger to appear.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc5074.jpg
Gone bird. Green bee-eater, Mohan, outside Corbett National Park.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc6613.jpg
Bhagirathi, beyond Harsil

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc9844_00001copy.jpg
Panchachuli peaks, B&W

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-_dsc7157.jpg
Beside Bhagirathi, evening, Harsil

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_9634.jpg
Kaladhungi (Corbett's village), Boar river. Again, waiting for a tiger

Last edited by nilanjanray : 26th November 2023 at 19:16.
nilanjanray is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 26th November 2023, 21:16   #701
BHPian

One of the beautiful threads that never caught my attention until now.

Lovely pictures and man! Your bison going on and on and on is a testament to why Fortuner rules the space despite being less VFM these days!
Jagann13 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks