Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th November 2010, 22:18   #121
BHPian

Buffet fan, Thank you! I have been struggling with this equation of 3rd row and, personally, placed it on high priority...hence so much deliberation. I guess it is only on this forum that one can honestly discuss the nitty and gritty. Your perspective is more comprehensive since it addresses the dynamics of the ride besides the 'static' ergonomics of being merely seated...which is where I was arguing from.
Old 6th November 2010, 17:02   #122
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuli View Post
I recall the Aria 3rd row seat seemed fine, but the 3rd row floor seemed higher than the middle row. It seemed like I was stepping up into the 3rd row area, which I am assuming is the reason it was difficult to get in and out as well as while being seated.
I correct myself here. My earlier impression that Aria 3rd row floor is higher is wrong. I did a short TD today and nailed down the culprit as an uneven, generously curved step that makes one stumble when entering or exiting the 3rd row of Aria. Refer the pic in my post in this thread .
Old 6th November 2010, 21:44   #123
Senior - BHPian

Guys. This a Fortuner ownership experience thread. If you have queries regarding the Fortuner, I am happy to answer. But now that I have bought the vehicle, I am least interested in comparing the merits or demerits of other vehicles with the Fortuner’s - especially vehicles that I have not test driven, or shown any interest in. There are very good official Test Drive and Review threads running elsewhere. Please take your “but XYZ’s ride quality is better than the Fortuner’ or “ABC’s ____ is better or worse than the Fortuner’s” to those threads – where they will help others comparing an Innova with a Fortuner, an Aria with an Innova, or an Aria with a Fortuner. Thanks for understanding.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th November 2010, 00:30   #124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Guys. This a Fortuner ownership experience thread.
My sincere apologies. I will follow your suggestion in the spirit. Honestly, I am glad you mentioned it.

- Dhuli

Moderators, Apologies. Request you to delete my posts where I have compared vehicles in this thread. Thank you.

Last edited by dhuli : 7th November 2010 at 00:43. Reason: Note to Mods
Old 7th November 2010, 01:39   #125
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys. This a Fortuner ownership experience thread. If you have queries regarding the Fortuner, I am happy to answer. But now that I have bought the vehicle, I am least interested in comparing the merits or demerits of other vehicles with the Fortuner’s - especially vehicles that I have not test driven, or shown any interest in. There are very good official Test Drive and Review threads running elsewhere. Please take your “but XYZ’s ride quality is better than the Fortuner’ or “ABC’s ____ is better or worse than the Fortuner’s” to those threads – where they will help others comparing an Innova with a Fortuner, an Aria with an Innova, or an Aria with a Fortuner. Thanks for understanding.
Nilanjan,
I did test drive the Fortuner 5 times in a variety of situations and my comments were just to share my experience. My deepest apologies for any offense caused.

@ Mods - Apologies and kindly feel free to delete all of my posts from this thread / move them elsewhere as the scope of this thread is as outlined above.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 7th November 2010 at 01:45.
Old 21st November 2010, 15:28   #126
Senior - BHPian

4000 km update

Back from another trip. Crossed 4000 km. No issues to report.

Got a chance to test its off road capabilities in the default 4H mode.
  • Had to cross a stream to get into/get out of the resort. Easily did it, even while returning at 11 pm in the night. Didn’t need to use 4HL. Risked driving back late at night to the resort (after dinner/campfire at another place 10 km away) because I was confident that the Fortuner could handle whatever I would encounter (road/beast) at night.
  • Had to go over deep mud/slush on a narrow road – one stupid truck had come and was blocking the road, and he wasn’t comfortable backing his vehicle. So had to go over slush and mud to regain the road. Again, no issues at all in normal 4H mode.Spoiled the looks though - will have to clean up.
Had a brush with a couple of elephants who came to explore my acco/machaan and the vehicle early in the morning. Some clapping and shouting helped drive them away before they could start admiring their reflections on my Fortuner.

Will post a few pictures of the place I went to.
Old 21st November 2010, 16:39   #127
Senior - BHPian

Where I stayed. The top floor is like a machaan/watchtower. First floor is a small bedroom. Great place for viewing wildlife and for birding. This place is 200m from the main resort, so is quite secluded.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3318.jpg

Pretty rustic. You have to be prepared to rough out.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3333.jpg

Another view. I usually spend the evening on the top floor/machaan - from 5pm - 10 pm. Can get eerie in the night, all alone. Last time I saw 3 bears walking around below (it was a full moon night).

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3341.jpg

I like black

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3330.jpg

Was lucky to capture 3 different birds sitting close together.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3272.jpg

The Bison

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_3332.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st November 2010, 16:53   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Back from another trip. Crossed 4000 km. No issues to report.

Got a chance to test its off road capabilities in the default 4H mode.
  • Had to cross a stream to get into/get out of the resort. Easily did it, even while returning at 11 pm in the night. Didn’t need to use 4HL. Risked driving back late at night to the resort (after dinner/campfire at another place 10 km away) because I was confident that the Fortuner could handle whatever I would encounter (road/beast) at night.
  • Had to go over deep mud/slush on a narrow road – one stupid truck had come and was blocking the road, and he wasn’t comfortable backing his vehicle. So had to go over slush and mud to regain the road. Again, no issues at all in normal 4H mode.Spoiled the looks though - will have to clean up.
Had a brush with a couple of elephants who came to explore my acco/machaan and the vehicle early in the morning. Some clapping and shouting helped drive them away before they could start admiring their reflections on my Fortuner.

Will post a few pictures of the place I went to.
congrats on your black beauty and wonderful pics!
Which is this place where the pics are shot? The place of your stay looks to be damn adventurous and exciting.
Old 21st November 2010, 19:26   #129
Senior - BHPian

Thanks adimicra. This is near Bokkapuram. You can see the Nilgiris behind.

You need to spend a night all alone at the watchtower to understand what it is like.

Cheetal alarm calls. Night birds. Elephant trumpets. Strange sounds below the room. Crickets. Animals walking around below. You need to see, hear, smell and taste (beer and chicken always taste better in such a place - over a single candle) to get a proper feel of the atmosphere. This place is not meant for those who prefer a canned, packaged jungle/Nilgiris experience.
Old 21st November 2010, 21:13   #130
BHPian

Hello Nilanjan , its really a pleasure to read your experiences with the Fortuner and more a treat to see those nice pics you put up . I shall get in touch with you when iam back in Bangalore for good and decide to buy the Fortuner for myself , Congrats on the black beauty .. Enjoy the soldier of Fortune and awaiting more stories from your end .

Quote:
Where I stayed. The top floor is like a machaan/watchtower. First floor is a small bedroom. Great place for viewing wildlife and for birding. This place is 200m from the main resort, so is quite secluded.

Attachment 457162

Pretty rustic. You have to be prepared to rough out.

Attachment 457163

Another view. I usually spend the evening on the top floor/machaan - from 5pm - 10 pm. Can get eerie in the night, all alone. Last time I saw 3 bears walking around below (it was a full moon night).

Attachment 457164

I like black

Attachment 457165

Was lucky to capture 3 different birds sitting close together.

Attachment 457166

The Bison

Attachment 457167
Old 21st November 2010, 23:00   #131
BHPian

Beautiful pictures I have to say!
And glad to see that you are one of very few Fortuner owners who use their machines for what it has been made for! (read= off roading/adventure)
Old 22nd November 2010, 00:53   #132
BHPian

Stunning!

Man, that is so beautiful. Just imagining being in that place for one night!
Just for general knowledge, from where can you rent out such watchtowers? Does some resort own that place?
Old 22nd November 2010, 10:56   #133
Senior - BHPian

@ abhi.m: This place is part of a resort called Forest Hills - look it up on the net. The Machaan costs ~ 3K per night (without food).

@TheStig: Thanks. That is why I opted for the Fortuner :-)

I will drive down to MP in early/mid Dec if I can manage things at home and at work. Should be interesting in Kanha/Bandhavgarh/Pench.

Someday I also want to explore the North East jungles - haven't been to Assam and Arunachal. Will drive to Kolkata (my hometown), and then to the Seven Sisters.
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:26   #134
Senior - BHPian

'V-kool'ed

Put V-Kool on the vehicle yesterday. Front: VK 70, Sides - A 60 (entry level); back: Silver Blue (64% VLT). Haven't had a chance to test it under the hot sun yet, but driving back, the headlights seemed much weaker. Couldn't make out that the low beam was on (to be fair, street lights and oncoming traffic were making it difficult for the low beam). Even the high beam didn't have the usual brilliant throw, and seemed average at best. Anyone faced this after putting sunfilm on the windshield? After a few days, will need to decide whether the cooling during daytime is worth the reduced visibility at night. I do highway night driving, and need all the visibility I can get - especially when driving on highways when it is raining at night/
Old 2nd December 2010, 12:45   #135
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Put V-Kool on the vehicle yesterday. Front: VK 70, Sides - A 60 (entry level); back: Silver Blue (64% VLT). Haven't had a chance to test it under the hot sun yet, but driving back, the headlights seemed much weaker. Couldn't make out that the low beam was on (to be fair, street lights and oncoming traffic were making it difficult for the low beam). Even the high beam didn't have the usual brilliant throw, and seemed average at best. Anyone faced this after putting sunfilm on the windshield? After a few days, will need to decide whether the cooling during daytime is worth the reduced visibility at night. I do highway night driving, and need all the visibility I can get - especially when driving on highways when it is raining at night/
Probably the front windshield sunfilm has made the headlights seem weaker.

By the way, as far as I have observed, the fog lights seems to be brighter than the low beam. Probably plonking a HID kit for the low beam might solve this issue.

Will update as soon as I spot a Fortuner with HID for the low beam.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks