Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2011, 16:09   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Back after a weekend trip to the Nilgiris. Took the Kanapkpura - Kollegal - Chamrajnagar route, and was able to reach Masinagudi in 4 hrs 30 mins - impressive, given that I drove in the afternoon.

Was impressed with the Fortuner's handling and performance on twisty roads. I was alone, so could push the vehicle. She delivered. Body roll seems to have gone down (i.e. my driving style has changed), and I am not facing any issues with braking. Overtaking is a breeze. And I can drive fast without worrying about unseen potholes, bumps etc.

Feel that I am more in tune with the vehicle now, so can push it more effectively knowing its strengths and weaknesses.

Mileage has gone down :-( - getting 10.5-11. Maybe I am revving more than before. Same thing happened with my SX4 once the break-in period was over.

I can vouch for Nh 209 (Kanapkpura Road) when traveling to Bandipur/Ooty - though it is a 2 laner, I find it less stressful to drive on this road than on Mysore Expressway. More picturesque too - the greenery and village scenery soothes the mind.
Hi Nilanjan, Nice ! No snaps ? I wait for those !
And what kind of speeds were you doing ? Just wanted to compare the speeds and the mileage.
And...uh oh ! Bison is a female ?!!
Wont be able to go around and freely feel & examine her carefully either now, as and when we meet . Shucks !

Last edited by Guderian : 29th March 2011 at 16:21.
Old 29th March 2011, 17:56   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
I can vouch for Nh 209 (Kanapkpura Road) when traveling to Bandipur/Ooty - though it is a 2 laner, I find it less stressful to drive on this road than on Mysore Expressway. More picturesque too - the greenery and village scenery soothes the mind.
Thanks for the feedback on this route. Any bottlenecks, other than the drive through Kanakapura town? Also, how is the non-NH section (Chamrajnagar - Gundlupet)?
Old 5th April 2011, 16:02   #183
BHPian

Re: Soldier of Fortune

Hi Nilanjan,

Wanted to share with you a few of my posts:-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post2252603

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2269312

Have booked the T-fort, expecting delivery by end April.

Will look up to you for advice for both the cars .
Old 18th April 2011, 19:27   #184
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for the absence, was out of country for sometime.

@ cool dube: the towns can be a bit of a bottleneck, especially near the bus stands (buses blocking the road). Depends on your luck, and when you travel. I have done Bangalore - Masinagudi stretch in 4:30 hrs traveling in the afternoon (and not speeding). I was lucky not to face any jams. There are a couple of stretches where roadlaying was being done, but they should be complete by now.

I really like the Chamrajanagar - Gundlepet stretch. Pretty good (but narrow) road, and great scenery. It takes ~ 30 min to cover this stretch. Have often come across interesting birds beside the road. There is also an offshoot road that leads directly to Bandipur through a different route. Plan to try that sometime.

@ Monaro CV8; Congratulations! Anytime...

Btw, I have signed up for Sunday's Fortuner 4WD bootcamp organized by Auto Car and Toyota. Should be fun. Will try to take a few pictures.
Old 20th April 2011, 12:10   #185
Senior - BHPian

So is anyone else coming for the weekend Fortuner 4WD bootcamp? I will be there for the Sunday morning session.
Old 25th April 2011, 13:39   #186
Senior - BHPian

Fortuner 4WD Bootcamp @ Bangalore

Went for it yesterday. Was good fun using the vehicle on LL, sliding around in slush. The course was sort of easy, given that Toyota was trying to attract folks who have never ventured off the tarmac. There was less slush compared to what was there at the Mumbai/Lonavla event, but this course was more varied e.g. inclines, axle twisters, side inclines, S-shaped slushy ruts, mild rock climbing, getting (jumping) down into a water filled shallow pond and powering through it etc.

The event was well organized, and Toyota/Auto Car folks were present, interacting with customers. Will post a report and pictures later. Unfortunately, I went there alone, so don't have any exciting pictures e.g. powering through water/slush, climbing steep inclines or going through axle twisters. Was too busy driving to take pictures :-)

Have strongly recommended that Toyota organizes a 3-4 day roadtrip/safari/overlanding tour for Fortuner owners. While chatting with Hormuz Sorabjee, I told him that I am even willing pay for some expenses e.g. hotel/food if they organize an exciting event. Told Toyota's SUV agency - Percept - that they can easily do a reality show with Fortuners traveling to some beautiful location e.g. Leh or Rajasthan.

Manuuj, Guderian, Rajan: would be great to do such a trip together.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 25th April 2011 at 13:45.
Old 26th April 2011, 15:57   #187
Senior - BHPian

Kanha & Bandhavgarh

Trip finalized. Itinerary for those who might be interested in joining/be there that time:

21st May (Sat): start early morn from Bangalore. Night stay at Pench.
22nd: Bandhavgarh, Treehouse
23rd: DO
24th: DO
25th (Wed): Kanha, Baghira
26th: DO
27th: DO
28th (Sat): night stay at Hyd
29th, Sun: return to Bnglr
Old 26th April 2011, 19:20   #188
BHPian

Quote:
Have strongly recommended that Toyota organizes a 3-4 day roadtrip/safari/overlanding tour for Fortuner owners. While chatting with Hormuz Sorabjee, I told him that I am even willing pay for some expenses e.g. hotel/food if they organize an exciting event. Told Toyota's SUV agency - Percept - that they can easily do a reality show with Fortuners traveling to some beautiful location e.g. Leh or Rajasthan.

Manuuj, Guderian, Rajan: would be great to do such a trip together.
Quote:
Trip finalized. Itinerary for those who might be interested in joining/be there that time:

21st May (Sat): start early morn from Bangalore. Night stay at Pench.
22nd: Bandhavgarh, Treehouse
23rd: DO
24th: DO
25th (Wed): Kanha, Baghira
26th: DO
27th: DO
28th (Sat): night stay at Hyd
29th, Sun: return to Bnglr
Hi Nilanjan, thanks for the invite buddy! Sadly work compunctions will not allow another few days off for at least 6 more months as i just got back from the Simla Manali run. (Pics are up in my Thread "White Toyota Fortuner Trd..")

Your trip seems really exciting and i look forward to some fantastic pics come June!
Old 27th April 2011, 14:53   #189
Senior - BHPian

Starting issue???

After the bootcamp, I had parked the car for 30 min in the hot sun, waiting for my turn to get the car washed.

When I tried to start the engine to move the vehicle, the engine refused to crank. This happened a few times. I called the onsite Ravindu Toyota technician, and he started fiddling around with gear, switches etc randomly. And then suddenly the engine started. The problem was one-off, and hasn't appeared since.

Was it a key issue e.g. multiple buttons getting pressed while in my pocket? Was it due to something going inside somewhere e.g. water or mud? Was it due to perhaps a slotting mistake for the HL/LL lever? I don't know. Have given it for servicing, and maybe the adviser can advise. But the onsite Ravindu guy had no clue - he said 'Saar no problem anymore'. He didn't have much of a clue. After the engine started (and never appeared again), he switched it on and off repeatedly till I angrily told him to stop ruining the engine.

Was surprising and somewhat worrying, since Toyota engines are supposed to be bullet proof.

I have faced similar issue in my SX4 and Indica due to the lock button getting pressed by mistake when in the car. If I unlock, I can start the engine. But that didn't work with the Fortuner.

Also, the typical 'pnee' sound that comes as one turns the key before cranking the engine, wasn't appearing during this time. Is the sound related to initial oil flow when key is turned - perhaps the oil got too heated while in the sun?

Any inputs, guys?

Last edited by nilanjanray : 27th April 2011 at 14:55.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:15   #190
Senior - BHPian

Some remote locking mechanisms have a auto lock cutoff feature that prevents you using the ignition if the car is unlocked and no key inserted into the ignition within a few minutes..

All tata safari OEM remote locking work this way.. you may want to check if this was the case. All you need to do is to lock and unlock again to be able to start the car..

You may want to check this out.. easy to replicate.

Edit: Sorry, saw that you are aware of this in your Indica/SX4 after posting.. try lock and then unlock instead of only unlock.

Last edited by smsrini : 27th April 2011 at 15:17.
Old 27th April 2011, 15:28   #191
Senior - BHPian

Thanks - I suspect (and hope!) that this is what happened. Will try to replicate and see. Don't remember if I had kep the vehicle unlocked (I was standing closeby, so might not have locked it)
Old 27th April 2011, 16:03   #192
Senior - BHPian

An unexpected gift

I was cribbing to my wife that I don't have any photos taken while I was going through the 4WD course (she was supposed to come, but couldn't make it at the last moment). Guess what? Rudrada was there, and clicked this photo of the Bison as it was wallowing in (actually, charging through) the slush.

Thanks a ton, Rudrada!!!

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-copy-img_2064.jpg

The front number plate broke during Round 1 of the course. Getting it fixed today.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:39   #193
BHPian

Nilanjan, i enjoyed every bit of your thread. Also the pics looks excellent.Even i'm planning to have a trip soon in my Jeep after reading through your thread..

How do you manage your time in the office and during the trips ?Or you work on the move..In that case excellent work profile too..
Old 27th April 2011, 17:51   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks - I suspect (and hope!) that this is what happened. Will try to replicate and see. Don't remember if I had kep the vehicle unlocked (I was standing closeby, so might not have locked it)
Hi Nilanjan, As I see it this indeed was the cause and not to worry at all. The engine was immobilised.
One issue I see with the remote key is that the buttons are a little too sensitive to touch or pressure. Times that it has been in my pocket - if I try to bend or turn etc I see/hear the locks getting activated or disarmed and the lights flashing. Quite disconcerting !

Last edited by Guderian : 27th April 2011 at 17:53.
Old 27th April 2011, 17:57   #195
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Philip! Where are you planning to go? Btw, I used to frequently come down to Cochin when my wife was posted there in the Navy.

I do my trips during the weekend. The longer trips are with planned leave. Lucky to work in a company that has a good leave policy :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks