Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2011, 15:48   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I was chatting with HV Kumar, and his recommendation is to keep the number of extra lights to two.
Hi Nils, I doubt that - as even two extra lights can get you into trouble. As per the MV Act any extra fittings have to be from the manufacturer who has to get the due clearance before commercial transactions etc etc.

So finally on all the aftermarket fittings and especially lights - whether you get hauled up or not depends on the cop who halts you !

I had a friend of mine who got slammed for two lights mounted on the roof of a Jeep.

If one were to strictly go by the MV Act even the bull bars and other appendages etc which we take for granted are not very legal on the roads - unless specifically approved !

All for good reasons - the spirit is actually safety of other road users and the driver as well.

But 'sab chalta hai ' !
Old 10th May 2011, 00:27   #227
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Yes, I know, but what to do? I have already been Blitzed. Will have to patao cops if I get pulled up during the upcoming Kanha/Bandhavgarh drive. However, I have never got stopped during my TN (Ooty etc.) visits - maybe because I always cover the lights unless I am driving in the night on an empty road.

It seems plenty of folks drive interstate with formidable auxiliary lights. Some tips would help...
Old 10th May 2011, 09:26   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It seems plenty of folks drive interstate with formidable auxiliary lights. Some tips would help...
Two lights over rooftop is always illegal. Rule says all auxiliary lights should be fitted below headlights level. Anything along the headlights or above it would be illegal. These floods and spots packing have specifically mentioned that these lights means for Offroad usage.

You can fit auxiliary lights but it should be placed below headlights level (They termed it as fog lamps). Police are not aware of spots, floods etc varieties. They feels all lights are fogs.

My suggestion whenever somebody catches you you tell them these are the fog lamps.
Old 10th May 2011, 09:47   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Two lights over rooftop is always illegal. Rule says all auxiliary lights should be fitted below headlights level. Anything along the headlights or above it would be illegal. These floods and spots packing have specifically mentioned that these lights means for Offroad usage.

You can fit auxiliary lights but it should be placed below headlights level (They termed it as fog lamps). Police are not aware of spots, floods etc varieties. They feels all lights are fogs.

My suggestion whenever somebody catches you you tell them these are the fog lamps.
My lights are almost at the same level as the headlights (maybe 1 inch lower), so I will have to play it by the ear :-)

Not planning to do night driving apart from Bangalore-Hyd, so don't think the spots will be uncovered during the trip. Mp forests don't allow driving after 6, so no solo night safaris (before curfew) like I do in the Nilgiri jungles.
Old 11th May 2011, 19:21   #230
Senior - BHPian

10000 km update

Crossed 10K after the recent BR Hills trip. No issues to report, everything fine as expected. By the way, Manuuj has done a fantastic comparison of Fortuner ownership with that of Range Rover and Pajero here after driving the Fortuner for 30000 km: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2347116

During the jungle safari at BR Hills in the Jungle Lodges jeep, I was checking out the trail to evaluate whether the Fortuner could go wherever the jeep went. YES! Last time I had gone to BR Hills, I was driving a SX4, so some rocky/muddy/steep stretches looked quite formidable from the SX4 perspective. But now after driving the Bison on similar trails on my own, almost all jungle/hill trails seem 'no problemo'.

Since I am not interested in extreme offroading e.g. rock crawling or mud-bashing or water fording for the sake of of doing them, and my interest in Fortuner was for :
1. Jungle and Hill trail driving
2. Offroading to reach a destination
3. Highway driving and exploring offbeat places (mountains/forests) in our country
, I am appreciating the Bison more than ever.
Old 12th May 2011, 12:35   #231
Senior - BHPian

Re: 10000 km update

Quote:
Since I am not interested in extreme offroading e.g. rock crawling or mud-bashing or water fording for the sake of of doing them, and my interest in Fortuner was for :
1. Jungle and Hill trail driving
2. Offroading to reach a destination
3. Highway driving and exploring offbeat places (mountains/forests) in our country I am appreciating the Bison more than ever.
Hi Nils, A very succinct view that ! You could say almost my view after experiencing the Admiral for about 2-1/2 months and 6K KMs !
Old 12th May 2011, 14:38   #232
BHPian

@ Nilanjan,
Incase you take it to trails with bushes and thorns, how do you protect it from scratches?

here is an excellent product that can prevent scratches

VPS Vehicle Protection Shield « 4xforum.com

challenge is, I am not sure if its available in India. I asked around. but no luck so far.
Old 12th May 2011, 16:27   #233
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the lead. A few scratches are already there, but nothing too serious yet.

Will probably use a scratch remover rubbing compound after sometime.

I purposely try not to lose my cool when a scratch happens. Pretend that I don't know the price, and tell myself that this vehicle is meant for roughing out :-)
Old 13th May 2011, 10:31   #234
Senior - BHPian

June trip to Kanha and Bandhavgarh

Acco booked at Kanha and Bandhavgarh. Itinerary almost finalized except for Pench acco and 11th plans.

4th early morn: Bangalore - Hyd - Nagpur - Pench
5th: Pench - Bandhavgarh
6th: Bandhavgarh
7th: Bandhavgarh
8th: Bandhavgarh - Kanha
9th: Kanha
10th: Kanha
11th: Kanha - Hyd (most likely)
12th: return to Bangalore

Will need to check with Pench MPTDC whether they will allow us to go past the checkpost in the evening after 6 pm.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:01   #235
Senior - BHPian

Re: June trip to Kanha and Bandhavgarh

Quote:
4th early morn: Bangalore - Hyd - Nagpur - Pench
Your first day itinerary is very ambitious. I feel it is more than 1300+ Kms drive in a day. You may have to take break on first day. I suggest Adilabad would be fine for first day break.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:04   #236
Senior - BHPian

Was browsing through some old albums...found an old picture of the Bison, before she attained enlightenment. In a three quarter view, I prefer her old look.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-csc_3020.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Your first day itinerary is very ambitious. I feel it is more than 1300+ Kms drive in a day. You may have to take break on first day. I suggest Adilabad would be fine for first day break.
I know. Purposely set that stretch target. Let's see how it goes...if I find myself getting tired, will stop at Nagpur.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 29th May 2015 at 12:13. Reason: Consecutive posts merged, thanks.
Old 13th May 2011, 11:52   #237
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for sharing your tales. I am a huge Toyota SUV fan and can relate to your enjoyment of the Fortuner. Some of your pictures are fab. That one sunset shot and the elephant behind the Indica ! Wow what a picture !

Wishing you loads more fun with your Bison !
Old 13th May 2011, 12:04   #238
Senior - BHPian

Thanks DKG! Btw, I never repaired that elephant dent on the Indica - it is like a battle scar :-)

Folks: Am thinking of going for an air pump that can use the 12V outlet, and has the option for setting target tyre pressure. Any suggestions on the brand/model and outlet in Bangalore? Has to be very reliable.
Old 13th May 2011, 13:51   #239
BHPian

Re: How she looked

Quote:
Was browsing through some old albums...found an old picture of the Bison, before she attained enlightenment. In a three quarter view, I prefer her old look.
Attachment 544055
Hmmm..i must say the pre enlightenment look is definitely more appealing to me also.

By the way thank you for posting a link to my "Review post" on your thread.. while i am no expert professional on the matter my views are purely from an owners point of view.

On the scratches some 3M / Formula1 Scratch Out and Formula1 Mettallic Liquid Polish will do a good job in removing minor surface scratches and restoring that glossy finish that is so evident in the picture in your post.
Old 13th May 2011, 16:33   #240
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the tip Manuuj. Will do that treatment once I come back after my trip.

How often do you polish your vehicles? Asking, since polish removes some paint surface coating every time.

Most Viewed