Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th December 2011, 09:51   #391
Senior - BHPian

Re: The morning after

See my replies below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
How dd you manage to capture the fowl alone in color? That too it has multiple colors on it. I know how to capture just one color with rest in B&W.

Oh well I was feeling a bit bored so I just used Picasa to colour the centre and the make the rest of the picture B7W. This is more of an gimmick and not serious photography - but fun once in a while.

Good that you mentioned the drink; the mug would have misled the readers.

Yes that is why I did a preemptive strike

Regarding the wipers, it's nice to change those once in a year!
Good suggestion. While my 1yr+ wipers are working alright, I will get them changed before going on a long drive.
I am glad that the suspension seems to be all right (as per the A.S.S.). I have been through some terrible roads and potholes and bumps at speed (sometimes couldn't avoid them - saw them too late). Imagine going through roads like the one that lead to Tala in Bandhavgarh (for those who have experienced it) at good speeds many times. Also, almost every couple of days I go on a semi-offroading track near one of the Sarjapur Road villages because it goes through beautiful open country, full of birds. Since it is 10 minutes drive away, driving through it has become a habit.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 19th December 2011 at 10:08.
Old 19th December 2011, 15:12   #392
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post

@ HG: the tyre guys were pretty young. I am planning to get the tyre inflator you have got. Will get in touch with the office (will search in your thread). Would you know if they ship to Bangalore?
Hi Nils,
Yes - he'll ship it to Bangalore.
Here is the link:
Car Care Equipments - Digital Tyre Inflator, Auto Fans and Office Fans Manufacturer & Exporter

And you can contact him:

Mr. Sawkar ( CEO ) - 09823011739/+(91)-(20)-24495739/ 24455739.

Incidentally the hopefully the engine oil spare can - you may never use. But keep an eye on the coolant level - that could go down - but not in huge quantities but little bit now and then.

Last edited by Guderian : 19th December 2011 at 15:35.
Guderian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th December 2011, 19:47   #393
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nils,
Yes - he'll ship it to Bangalore.
Here is the link:
Car Care Equipments - Digital Tyre Inflator, Auto Fans and Office Fans Manufacturer & Exporter

And you can contact him:

Mr. Sawkar ( CEO ) - 09823011739/+(91)-(20)-24495739/ 24455739.
Thanks, this is very useful. Looked at the site and it does not have any payment mechanism, how do i pay him? Will most probably call him tomorrow to check.

Will order one for myself, by the end of this week once we are back for Chennai.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 09:10   #394
BHPian

The LIMI digital tyre inflator is made in Pune & exported by these guys all over the world (e.g Australia, South Africa, Middle East, etc.).
When I purchased mine, I spoke to them about the services & delivery.
They would also ship it to your city, just talk to them and they will sort the logistics out for you.

This one is a tad costlier than the Chinese counterpart, but you're assured that since its made here, one can get it serviced/ repaired.
Old 20th December 2011, 10:45   #395
Senior - BHPian

Getting the LIMI couriered to Bangalore. Hope it comes by Thurs EoD.

Am almost ready to embark on a drive to Kumaon next week. But getting second thoughts about the long drive all alone (family can't go). Friends seem to be busy.

Two route options:
1. Via Mumbai - Udaipur
2. Via Nagpur - Japalpur - Allahabad

Undecided on which route to take. End destination is Kaladunghi.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 20th December 2011 at 10:47.
Old 21st December 2011, 12:06   #396
Senior - BHPian

I have 8.25 days to do the trip. Increasingly getting disheartened due to the fog element - I won't be able to cover 1000-1200kms a day. No point in spending 3+3 days in reaching/returning from Kumaon and spending just 2 days there.

Where else? Am raring to do a long drive (hills or jungles).
Old 21st December 2011, 14:00   #397
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Where else? Am raring to do a long drive (hills or jungles).
Ummm...Come to Mumbai.
That'll take care of the jungle itch - concrete jungle at your service here. Plus the great run of the GQ for 2K Klicks - to n fro.

For the hills - plenty of trails for testing out the 4X4 system round these parts.

Now does that sound like an plan ?
Old 21st December 2011, 18:02   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ummm...Come to Mumbai.
That'll take care of the jungle itch - concrete jungle at your service here. Plus the great run of the GQ for 2K Klicks - to n fro.

For the hills - plenty of trails for testing out the 4X4 system round these parts.

Now does that sound like an plan ?
I was in that concrete jungle for 9+ years. Parel, Meera Road, Turner Road/Bandra (my favourite part of town), Colaba, Malad W(INS Hamla), Goregaon E.

A few of my closest friends are in that jungle, and my brother as well as my cousin stay there (my brother stays in Thane, could be pretty close to your place).

But a different kind of jungle beckons at the moment.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 21st December 2011 at 18:04.
Old 22nd December 2011, 04:17   #399
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
But a different kind of jungle beckons at the moment.
Ahhh well - the offer was made. A great drive really. And remember - Life is not meant to be a spectator sport. Now where have I heard that before ?

Incidentally - what finally happened to the post servicing issues/woes ? Like the matter of alignment ? Did you take Bison elsewhere and have the alignment checked out ? And with what results ?
Old 22nd December 2011, 09:24   #400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ahhh well - the offer was made. A great drive really. And remember - Life is not meant to be a spectator sport. Now where have I heard that before ?

Incidentally - what finally happened to the post servicing issues/woes ? Like the matter of alignment ? Did you take Bison elsewhere and have the alignment checked out ? And with what results ?
No post servicing woes as of now. I had gone the alignment checked for the second time at the A.S.S. once the rotation was done. Alignment seems fine when I drive it - I would have noticed if it were awry.

Bison is fit and ready again.

I should be getting the LIMI tyre inflator today by courier. Thanks for the contacts.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2011, 20:23   #401
Senior - BHPian

A few pictures of the Bison from a recent trip

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_0324.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20111225-17.11.06.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_0323.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_0404.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_0689.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20111225-18.32.11.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20111225-17.48.44.jpg

More pictures here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-nilgiris.html
nilanjanray is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st December 2011, 17:03   #402
Senior - BHPian

The suspension noise from the front wheels is back after the offroading. Minor, but irritating. Will get the ASC to open up and check (I doubt whether they really checked the suspension thoroughly last time).
Old 31st December 2011, 17:38   #403
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The suspension noise from the front wheels is back after the offroading. Minor, but irritating. Will get the ASC to open up and check (I doubt whether they really checked the suspension thoroughly last time).
Have them to have a look at the various bushes. It could be as simple as a change of one or couple of rubber bush/es in the suspension.
Old 3rd January 2012, 14:39   #404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Have them to have a look at the various bushes. It could be as simple as a change of one or couple of rubber bush/es in the suspension.
I have gone on quite rough roads sometimes at high speed so problems could have surfaced. But I personally think a few things need to be tightened...or maybe replaced, as you said. Taking the vehicle again to the service centre and spending the whole day there is a pain, but will have to do it sometime else they will not do a good job.

The sounds don't come when I am normal roads or going over normal bumps. Come to think of it, I had heard similar metallic sounds during my MP trip while driving fast through the lunar landscape near Tala. But then it went away.

I need to find suitable roads or obstacles when doing a test drive with the service folks else they will not be convinced that something needs to be done and requisite effort needs to be spent opening things up. My feeling is they try to get away with doing as little as possible and hope that a Toyota will run on its own without proper preventive maintenance.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 3rd January 2012 at 14:53.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 15:07   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have gone on quite rough roads sometimes at high speed so problems could have surfaced.
Another point is greasing in addition to 'replacement' (bushes) and/or 'tightening'. This Sunday, when under the Admiral, realised that the front suspension could have some points that could need/do with some greasing - especially at the wishbone joints/mounting points ? I guess you can get it done at the next servicing. Or just take it to a neighbouring car wash fellow - raise Bison and have the chap to use the grease gun and have grease liberally slathered at the suspected points.

Last edited by Guderian : 3rd January 2012 at 15:14.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed