Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2012, 12:00   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Summary of trip:
* 2200 kms round trip, Bangalore - Tadoba - Bangalore
* Out of Bangalore for action packed 98 hours
* FE of 10.7kmpl (with fast driving)
* 14 unique tigers
* No sweat for the Bison - whether cruising in the night, or going over horrendous potholes.
* LF spotlights + highbeams allow near-daytime cruising speeds on empty, 4/6 lane divided highways such as NH7 between Hyderabad and Bangalore

Trip worth it for photo opps such as this:
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-tadoba-june-2012-566.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 11th June 2012 at 12:06.
nilanjanray is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 11th June 2012, 12:14   #497
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Boy, Oh boy, what a click !!

So the trip was worth it.

Glad to know that bison showed its colors, in hindi (apna hunar dikhaya ) when it mattered the most.

It is journeys like these that a build a relationship and emotional touch with your car.

Could you post a pic of your car with the headlights (ALL) turned on ?

IIRC you had auxiliary lights installed on the bumper ?
Old 11th June 2012, 12:58   #498
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
* FE of 10.7kmpl (with fast driving)
10.7kmpl, not bad, at what speeds approximately Nilanjan?

The snap posted by you itself makes the trip worth it, let alone the other unique tigers.
Old 11th June 2012, 17:13   #499
BANNED

Quote:
* No sweat for the Bison - whether cruising in the night, or going over horrendous potholes.
* LF spotlights + highbeams allow near-daytime cruising speeds on empty, 4/6 lane divided highways such as NH7 between Hyderabad and Bangalore
Nilanjan, I m just back after a 2 hr TD of the new Fortuner and have found a few points that I have mentioned here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Manuuj,
I m back after a 2 hr TD of the new Fortuner and noticed a few things and wanted your opinion on them:
Can you ink your thoughts on them as well pl?
Old 12th June 2012, 13:41   #500
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Boy, Oh boy, what a click !!

So the trip was worth it.

Glad to know that bison showed its colors, in hindi (apna hunar dikhaya ) when it mattered the most.

Could you post a pic of your car with the headlights (ALL) turned on ?

IIRC you had auxiliary lights installed on the bumper ?
Yes, trip was definitely worth it. I didn't have such quality sightings in my MP visits last year.

The Fortuner is serving me well, given my type of use. I have the Lightforce Blitz spots mounted in the front - turn them on once in a while when I am on the right road and can use them safely. I believed, and believe more strongly now, that on unknown roads and for night driving a SUV is the best fit for our country. One can't always go on good roads. I have often gone through villages and gone cross country over fields to reach some dirt track that leads to some state highway.

Quote:
10.7kmpl, not bad, at what speeds approximately Nilanjan?

The snap posted by you itself makes the trip worth it, let alone the other unique tigers.
Mainly cruising between 120-140kmph when I was not feeling sleepy. Went below and over that range for some stretches.

Yes, that was about being at the right place at the right time - and being an opportunistic and 'quick to anticipate and shoot' photographer. If we had been 1 minute late, would have missed the shots. We had the tiger crossing views twice - both times were lucky w.r.t. the timing. Sharing another photo...lot's more to come in the new travelogue I will start.

Quote:
Can you ink your thoughts on them as well pl?
Replied on Manuuj's thread. Though I am surprised that a test drive Toyota will be maintained that badly.

In any case, you will not be fully satisfied by the Fortuner. Go for it only if you can live with its shortcomings.

A photo of cubs peeping out from behind a tree.
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-tadoba-june-2012-241.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th June 2012 at 13:56.
nilanjanray is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 17:11   #501
Senior - BHPian

Spectacular pics, thanks for sharing!
Good to see the Bison eating up the miles effortlessly. Pity it's priced so high... would love owning one myself
Old 12th June 2012, 17:44   #502
BHPian

WOW what sightings. Good to know that the Fort proved as reliable as ever.
Next time you plan a trip to MP forests do let me know a bit in advance. Would love to join you if possible.
Whats the status on "khat" sound while reversing ?
Old 12th June 2012, 18:28   #503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A photo of cubs peeping out from behind a tree.
Attachment 939780
Hi Nils,
Just two snaps...both fabulous. Great shots and a great journey. Wonderful to learn that Bison was solid as ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Hi Columbus,
That was retained to scare tigers away, who may lurk behind the Bison, a great add on for reversing in lonely areas ! May be it's a special feature from Toyota.
Old 14th June 2012, 12:12   #504
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
WOW what sightings. Good to know that the Fort proved as reliable as ever.
Next time you plan a trip to MP forests do let me know a bit in advance. Would love to join you if possible.
Thanks - will do. The khat sound is till there, but has gone down a bit. Will get it checked when I go for 35K service. Maybe I will try out a different ASC this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Hi Nils,
Just two snaps...both fabulous. Great shots and a great journey. Wonderful to learn that Bison was solid as ever.
Yes, she is one steady and reliable vehicle that one can use for high speed cruising and then offroading in the same trip. Very rough use friendly - not a prima donna that can't stay without special care.

Unfortunately didn't get the chance to scare away tigers using Bison's skunk attack tactics. Was tempted to go for evening drives through the buffer area, but chances of sightings were very less, and was too tired with 8 hours of safaris per day.

By the way, most tiger attacks in Tadoba happen in the buffer zones.

Have taken quite a few photos of Tigers. Not getting the time to start a new thread. Will do in the next few days.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 14th June 2012 at 12:13.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2012, 03:08   #505
BHPian

What a spectacular thread? A great read. Please keep it going. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Thanks
Old 16th June 2012, 18:56   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLOCT View Post
What a spectacular thread? A great read. Please keep it going. I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

Thanks
Thanks VCOLT.

Have crossed 34K kms now, things are fine. Apart from the slight shocker noise and the reversing sound. Tyres and brakes are fine, probably good for 5-10K kms more.

Btw folks, my Tadoba travelogue is up here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ers-bison.html

Last edited by nilanjanray : 16th June 2012 at 19:03.
Old 5th July 2012, 20:16   #507
Senior - BHPian

Had gone for a quick overnight trip to Masinagudi. Went over some bad potholes that have come up on NH209. No alignment issues that I can feel. Vehicle will be going for 35K servicing in the next few days.

Brakes still holding up. Might change pads at 40000kms unless the ASC tells me to change earlier. Seems some folks change them as early as 20000kms. Too throttle happy (followed by braking) perhaps...

Edit: A wild tusker came to hang around the resort fence around 9pm. Also saw a herd of 20 Gaurs in the night (it was a late afternoon/evening drive) while going to the resort. Was tempted to stop and socialize (bright moon, narrow road between Thappakadu and Masinagudi, ideal for some soul searching conversation), but the horns would have been bad for the paintjob.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 5th July 2012 at 20:21.
Old 7th July 2012, 23:46   #508
Senior - BHPian

Went for a night drive after dinner. Had rained a bit, and the the moon and the smell of freshly wet soil was tempting. Drove on the village roads around Sarjapur Road. Was refreshed by some peppy music - Bollywood night on 104 FM.

Folks who haven't driven on country roads after fresh rain (especially rainfall after ages on parched soil), I suggest you do so. The smell is lovely. And the breeze is soothing.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 7th July 2012 at 23:55.
Old 12th July 2012, 09:32   #509
Senior - BHPian

Ridiculous!!

Two body scars in two days!

Yesterday, when I was waiting at a signal, a cyclist decided to squeeze by from the front. Resulted in a gash near the right fog light. He paddled away fast as I shouted at him.

Today morning I had to drop my daughter to her school. An auto braked suddenly in front, and I braked too. After 2 seconds an auto bumps into me from the rear side. Either he want paying attention or the guy's brakes don't work, since there was delay between me braking and him scraping my vehicle. Bad scrape marks on the rear right near the lights. Let him go - what's the use of arguing with or taking money from an auto driver.

If it had been me bumping into a cyclist or an auto, however gently, the situation would have been very different!
Old 12th July 2012, 14:09   #510
BHPian

I agree Nilanjan. Car owners usually are at the wrong end of the stick. I had some chap bump into me a few days ago and the rear bumper came out of its sockets. I made him drive to the Toyota ASC with me where they took of the rear bumper aligned the sockets and put back the bumper.

It wasnt like i could not have paid the 500/- but i wanted that person to feel the agony of wasted time.

In any case, in our country we have to live with the fact that most road users do not have any proper training.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks