Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2012, 15:44   #511
BANNED

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Today morning I had to drop my daughter to her school. An auto braked suddenly in front, and I braked too. After 2 seconds an auto bumps into me from the rear side. Either he want paying attention or the guy's brakes don't work, since there was delay between me braking and him scraping my vehicle. Bad scrape marks on the rear right near the lights. Let him go - what's the use of arguing with or taking money from an auto driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuuj View Post
I agree Nilanjan. Car owners usually are at the wrong end of the stick. I had some chap bump into me a few days ago and the rear bumper came out of its sockets.
Which is why I sometimes feel that aluminium bull bars, at least at the rear, like those designed for the Innova, are not a bad idea. Most cars I ve seen have more scratches in the rear than the front.
Old 12th July 2012, 15:44   #512
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Manuuj - agree with you. I would have done something similar if my daughter and wife were not there in the vehicle and if we were not in a hurry.

@ devnath: don't like the looks, though they are practical for these small bumps. In fact for 100% city driving they might make sense because one will always be at crawling speed.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 12th July 2012 at 15:47.
Old 15th July 2012, 01:20   #513
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Just finished reading your thread! Its one of the best ownership reports i've read on tbhp. Its more of a travelogue+report on your bison, that's what makes it stand out from the other reports here and a lot more enjoyable.

Your fortuner has gone places where i'm sure not many fortuner's would ever go. Good to see you've used a 4x4 the way it is to be used

PS: Superb photography too! I have a D90+70-300mm non VR lens, but i've a long way to go in the learning curve. You mentioned about learning photography yourself, any good books you recommend ?

Last edited by shashank.nk : 15th July 2012 at 01:26. Reason: Added last line
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd July 2012, 19:34   #514
Senior - BHPian

36K km and some recent photos

Been a while since I posted some photos of the Bison. This is how she looked recently when set free. Note: most of the photos were taken with the mobile under overcast conditions.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120701-16.52.28.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120720-15.21.27.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120720-16.55.03.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_6387.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120709-12.15.00.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120720-18.18.39.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120721-12.44.15.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_6391.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-20120721-12.48.23.jpg

Crossed 36K kms, will be taking it for 35K servicing.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 23rd July 2012 at 19:38.
nilanjanray is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 15:51   #515
BHPian

The Bison sure looks in good nick Nilanjan! How is the planning for the trip to the Great North progressing. You said Mid-September right? That is less than 2 months away now..

The 35k service is just a minor check up us u know. Should not cost more than Rs 700/- i guess. Hope you are getting the tyres rotated on a regular basis.
Old 24th July 2012, 17:10   #516
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Bison sure looks in good nick Nilanjan! How is the planning for the trip to the Great North progressing. You said Mid-September right? That is less than 2 months away now..

The 35k service is just a minor check up us u know. Should not cost more than Rs 700/- i guess. Hope you are getting the tyres rotated on a regular basis.
Mid September? My mistake if I said that...I was thinking of late Oct or sometime in Nov - after the Monsoons when the park is also open, there is bite in the wind and the weather is clear for for enjoying the lovely peaks.

I usually get the engine oil/oil filter changed every 5000km. Do the tyre rotations every 10000km (due again at 40K kms).

Have you changed your brake pads? if so, when?
Old 24th July 2012, 17:36   #517
BHPian

Quote:
Mid September? My mistake if I said that...I was thinking of late Oct or sometime in Nov - after the Monsoons when the park is also open, there is bite in the wind and the weather is clear for for enjoying the lovely peaks.

I usually get the engine oil/oil filter changed every 5000km. Do the tyre rotations every 10000km (due again at 40K kms).

Have you changed your brake pads? if so, when?
Ahh yes late October is ideal!

The Oil and Oil filter are changed in all Toyota diesel models usually at 10K kms. Changing them at every 5000 kms pushes up maintainence costs.

Though if you feel there is some benefit in terms of Engine Life you are welcome to go ahead with the practice. My Qualis which has done about 2,00,000 Kms has usually had the Oil changed every 10,000 kms only and the engine is in very good nick still. (That too regular Engine Oil not the fancy synthetic stuff)

Why don't you speak to the Service Head at the Bangalore ASC which you use. I'm confident he will be recommend that you change the Oil and Filter every 10K kms also.

Having it changed at the first 1000 kms checkup to get rid of any engine shavings (now uncommon due to CNC machining) was enough i feel.

I'm just saying this with the motive of saving you some money.

Last edited by Technocrat : 24th July 2012 at 23:30. Reason: Corrected SMS language u=you
Old 24th July 2012, 18:59   #518
BHPian

I missed your Q on the brake pads replacement. The Car has done 60K kms and the brake pads are good till the next service atleast. Please do check pics on the brake pads and disc checkup done in my ownership review of the Fortuner.
Manuuj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2012, 21:53   #519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I have a D90+70-300mm non VR lens, but i've a long way to go in the learning curve. You mentioned about learning photography yourself, any good books you recommend ?
I read Scott Kelby's The Digital Photography Book, The Nikon D90 Manual by David Busch, and online stuff. Experimented a lot. I am not too much into technicalities, just use what works for me given the various constraints. There are tons to learn e.g. the technicalities, composing, using flash/lighting, post processing etc. I haven't focused on them too much at present since I shoot outdoors most of the time where the conditions can't be controlled. I have a steady hand and anticipation w.r.t. wildlife which helps a bit I guess. Do note that low light shots would be more difficult with the non-VR lens.

Nowadays majority of landscape shots are taken with my Galaxy S2 camera since I don't like changing lenses. For example, all but two of the shots you see immediately above were taken with the phone camera.

Quote:
Ahh yes late October is ideal!

The Oil and Oil filter are changed in all Toyota diesel models usually at 10K kms. Changing them at every 5000 kms pushes up maintainence costs.
Late Autumn! The breath of the pines, a cool breeze, crackling camp fire, alarm or mating calls of the deers (do they go hand in hand for deers like they sometimes do for humans?), the smell of the Himalayas!

Coming back to more mundane stuff - engine oil. the Toyota folks keep telling me that I need not change every 5K. But, every Innova cab driver I ask tells me that they change every 5K. And those vehicles are running like new after 1 lakh++ kms. So the dilemma. But if your Qualis was fine with oil change every 10K kms, then I guess I will go by what Toyota recommends.

Quote:
I missed your Q on the brake pads replacement. The Car has done 60K kms and the brake pads are good till the next service atleast. Please do check pics on the brake pads and disc checkup done in my ownership review of the Fortuner.
That's great to know. I have some mm left, but I have been hearing that some folks change after 20K or 30K kms., Depends on the driving style I guess.

I need to get the reversing khat sound and the shocker noise fixed. Minor irritants assuming nothing serious is happening.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 24th July 2012 at 21:58.
nilanjanray is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th July 2012, 08:33   #520
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Coming back to more mundane stuff - engine oil. the Toyota folks keep telling me that I need not change every 5K. But, every Innova cab driver I ask tells me that they change every 5K. And those vehicles are running like new after 1 lakh++ kms. So the dilemma. But if your Qualis was fine with oil change every 10K kms, then I guess I will go by what Toyota recommends.
The Taxis involve much more abuse than our normal driving styles. After the initial run-in period, 10k mark for the oil change should be pretty safe. On my recent 10K service, I found that the Toyota OE 5W40 oil is of a superior quality than many normal brands, hence I am sticking to the 10K oil change period.

Last edited by dkaile : 25th July 2012 at 08:35.
Old 25th July 2012, 09:06   #521
Senior - BHPian

nilanjan and dkaile,
If were to change oil at every 5k kms,and a routine check, how much would TASS charge me?
Assuming that the regular stuff has been taken care of in the 10k kms periodic service.
Old 25th July 2012, 10:28   #522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
nilanjan and dkaile,
If were to change oil at every 5k kms,and a routine check, how much would TASS charge me?
Assuming that the regular stuff has been taken care of in the 10k kms periodic service.
Oil, Oil Filter and Oil seal nut gasket cost 2400/- at TASS (approx 2K for 6.9L of 5W40 oil, 350 for filter, 50 for gasket + taxes)
Old 25th July 2012, 16:40   #523
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile
Oil, Oil Filter and Oil seal nut gasket cost 2400/- at TASS (approx 2K for 6.9L of 5W40 oil, 350 for filter, 50 for gasket + taxes)
No Labour charges for oil change or the routine check up ?
Old 25th July 2012, 17:10   #524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
No Labour charges for oil change or the routine check up ?
I just quoted consumable charges as all my services were free up till now. I presume normal service charge (including washing) would be around 2K at TASS.
Old 25th July 2012, 18:55   #525
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I just quoted consumable charges as all my services were free up till now. I presume normal service charge (including washing) would be around 2K at TASS.
That would be servicing charges of Rs. 850 plus service tax.

In my case they (TASS) also charged me separately (Rs.350) for 5 Tyres rotation.
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed