Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th March 2014, 17:16   #586
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh@rpshooter View Post
Nilanjanray, where can you buy this in Bangalore ?
Thanks for the pointer. the product looks pretty robust
There is a seperate thread for this. Please go through the related post reproduced here for your ready reference, it provides all the required information. You can order directly from Bangalore and it'll be sent to you through courier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Here is something that I recommended a friend who's Punto was getting Leh'd this season.

I was earlier recommended about this product by a friend of mine in Pune.

Attachment 1156220

This is compact, Handy and comes with a neat bag that makes it a completely rattle free.

Attachment 1156221

It also comes with a spiral hose pipe with a threaded end that fits directly onto the inlet valve of the Tire.

As soon as it was delivered home, I tested the same by completely releasing air from my spare wheel and with the car (WagonR) in Idle, It took ~2.5 minutes to fill the required PSI of 32 which was quite close to their claims in the specification sheet.

Attachment 1156222

How to Buy:
I got in touch with them via email and the response was almost instant. We deposited 1500 INR into their Bank account and I received an acknowledgement of the receipt as well as the Airway bill number of the shipment and the product was delivered within the next 24 hours.

Here is more information on the product itself:
http://emporis.co.in/html/products_c...compressor.htm

They seem to sell various other products which generated a lot of interest in me, specially the Emergency kit with a Motorized Jack and Motorized Wrench that can be very helpful for women drivers who face flat tires.

http://emporis.co.in/html/products_emergency_kit.htm
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th March 2014, 18:25   #587
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 80000 km update

Quote:
Nilanjanray, where can you buy this in Bangalore ?
Thanks for the pointer. the product looks pretty robust
I called up the number on their website and transferred cash. Awaiting delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
There is a seperate thread for this. Please go through the related post reproduced here for your ready reference, it provides all the required information. You can order directly from Bangalore and it'll be sent to you through courier.
I did look at that thread before ordering. But I am more concerned about how reliable and robust it is over the years. The LIMI worked fine for 1.5 yrs, before going kaput.
Old 13th March 2014, 09:58   #588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
I did look at that thread before ordering. But I am more concerned about how reliable and robust it is over the years. The LIMI worked fine for 1.5 yrs, before going kaput.
The thread reference was not meant for you Nilanjan, it was for Sh@rpshooter.

I can't comment on the reliability factor because I'm using it only for a couple of months or so but it looks sturdy. However contrary to what is written in the brochure the pump took almost 6/7 minutes to fill up from 0 to 36PSI in a 205/55/R16 tyre and the brochure says you should not use it continuously for more than 10 minutes. I would be keen to know the time taken to fill up even bigger tyres of the Fortuner.
Old 13th March 2014, 12:20   #589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The thread reference was not meant for you Nilanjan, it was for Sh@rpshooter.

I can't comment on the reliability factor because I'm using it only for a couple of months or so but it looks sturdy. However contrary to what is written in the brochure the pump took almost 6/7 minutes to fill up from 0 to 36PSI in a 205/55/R16 tyre and the brochure says you should not use it continuously for more than 10 minutes. I would be keen to know the time taken to fill up even bigger tyres of the Fortuner.
Sommos thanks for the thread reference. the emergency kit looks like a good product.

Regarding this timing, is the timing guidance given for a tyre bearing load or one without load/removed ?

Nilanjan, looking forward to hear about your experience

Last edited by sh@rpshooter : 13th March 2014 at 12:26.
Old 13th March 2014, 14:56   #590
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Regarding this timing, is the timing guidance given for a tyre bearing load or one without load/removed ?
The single page literature only specifies 1.5 to 2.5 minutes for filling a tyre, it does not mention anything about loaded or unloaded. Parag says he filled his WagonR tyre in 2.5 minutes from 0-32PSI. I tried filling up the stepney of my car and it took around 6+ minutes in a stopwatch.
Old 7th April 2014, 13:54   #591
BHPian

almost all the air compressors available in the market that are connected to cig lighter socket, are not heavy duty, and not suitable for SUV tire sizes.

These will over heat quickly while filling up large tires, and needs extensive cool down time. because of this, it cannot be used for air down/up situations like sand driving. (4 tires x 10 mins + cool down time after every tire)
at max, its only good for emergency puncture repair. thats it. with the risk of reliability factors.

For the kind of places Nilanjan travels, a more robust air compressor is recomended (something in the league of ARB).

the ideal air set up would be http://www.endlessair.com.au/

Thats the best I have used, even better than ARB.
With some DIY & creativity, its very much possible to make it with an AC compressor like sanden. and would be cheaper than buying the kit from Oz land.
Old 23rd April 2014, 12:04   #592
Senior - BHPian

68K+ kms update

The beast has been going through a rough patch.

1. The windscreen is cracked. Will cost ~ 40K to replace ( I will have to pay 7-8K, rest insurance will cover). A heavy branch fell on the windscreen and cracked it while the vehicle was parked for the night.

2. Have to top up air on 3 of the tyres every 2-3 days. Slow leakage, can't be fixed. Finalized (well, almost) on the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. I prefer a slightly road-biased A/T tyre for the long, fast drives.

3. The music system has been acting funny once in a while. The black alphanumeric display (e.g. a FM channel name - on the green screen) has been dimming. And then the volume control/power on+off knob, as well as channel buttons refused to work. Though I could change the channels and play around with the volume using the steering buttons. I had to switch off the vehicle and restart - then everything started working fine. Should be some loose connection behind the head unit. Can't be a battery issue since everything else was working fine. In any case, a battery change is due - it has been 3.5 years.

3. The rear/boot door squeaks a bit when opening or closing- the shocks need to be lubricated

4. The 'kaat' noise when reversing+braking has come back.

5. That piece of rubber - where the steering column enters the engine bay - needs to be replaced.

6. The clips holding the mud flaps etc need to be tightened or replaced.

7. A few scratches here and there. Idiotic auto drivers and buses who brushed past me.

8. I have stopped using the Lightforce spotlights since water entered the housing (during heavy rain). The reflectors have become partially black. Waste of money - disappointed. These were supposed to be totally waterproof.

Have been driving around carefully, till I get time to take the vehicle to ASC. Windscreen change takes a couple of days at least, and lately I have been keeping busy.

A few photos to lighten up the mood. The mountains are calling, as are the big cats. Recently changed my role, so taking leave is difficult. Still, once I get the windscreen and tyres sorted out, might just take off on another canonball run.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_9734.jpeg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2907.jpeg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_7744.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_0421.jpeg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 23rd April 2014 at 12:10.
nilanjanray is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2014, 20:50   #593
Senior - BHPian

sorry for hijacking your thread

Ive got my 240 Blitz fixed recently.

I sourced the locking nuts for the base and have fixed it. But the mounting brackets are exposed and can be removed.

I believe that lightforce supplies locking hinges for the same.

Could you let me know on the "theft insurance" that you rely on.

I'm also going to source Rexene covers for the lamps as the filters scratch easily.

P.S

You can look at this with respect to your water leak issue.

http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/s...htforce-Lights
Attached Thumbnails
Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-img_20140421_212623.jpg  

Last edited by vinaydas : 23rd April 2014 at 20:59.
vinaydas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 09:49   #594
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ive got my 240 Blitz fixed recently.
Hi Vinaydas,

Wow! those are some big lights for scaring the hell out of the night drivers! The height at which these are mounted would keep the entire coast clear for you

Can you post pictures(on a different thread?) of the light beam reach and focus please?

Quote:
These were supposed to be totally waterproof.
Hi Nilanjan,

Sorry to see the big list on the ride.

The LF's are waterproof and should carry warranty on the same. For the money spent, they better provide quality.

Last edited by getsurya : 24th April 2014 at 09:52.
getsurya is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 11:25   #595
Senior - BHPian

The fortuner always had weak head lamps, Hence the need for the auxiliary lamps .
I have tried my absolute best to direct the lights away from oncoming traffic.

Need to find a dark isolated spot to check the throw of the lamps so that I could post a review
vinaydas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th April 2014, 12:11   #596
BHPian

Re: 68K+ kms update

Quote:
The beast has been going through a rough patch.

1. The windscreen is cracked. Will cost ~ 40K to replace ( I will have to pay 7-8K, rest insurance will cover). A heavy branch fell on the windscreen and cracked it while the vehicle was parked for the night.

2. Have to top up air on 3 of the tyres every 2-3 days. Slow leakage, can't be fixed. Finalized (well, almost) on the Pirelli Scorpion ATRs. I prefer a slightly road-biased A/T tyre for the long, fast drives.

3. The music system has been acting funny once in a while.

3. The rear/boot door squeaks a bit when opening or closing- the shocks need to be lubricated

4. The 'kaat' noise when reversing+braking has come back.

5. That piece of rubber - where the steering column enters the engine bay - needs to be replaced.

6. The clips holding the mud flaps etc need to be tightened or replaced.

A few photos to lighten up the mood.

Sheeh 40K for the windsheild. Thats expensive. Did you check aftermarket vendors ?

What is the price of pirellis. My tyre upgrade is also due.

I have faced similar problem with music system since last 2 years. The problem comes and goes on its own. Waiting for it to go completely dead so that i get reason for change .

I got my rear boot lid telescopes replaced under warranty. I doubt the problem will go with lubrication.

The khat noise is there in my vehicle also.

Can you shed more light on that rubber component.

As usual brilliant photographs.
columbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 17:34   #597
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
Sheeh 40K for the windsheild. Thats expensive. Did you check aftermarket vendors ?

What is the price of pirellis. My tyre upgrade is also due.

I have faced similar problem with music system since last 2 years. The problem comes and goes on its own. Waiting for it to go completely dead so that i get reason for change .

I got my rear boot lid telescopes replaced under warranty. I doubt the problem will go with lubrication.

The khat noise is there in my vehicle also.

Can you shed more light on that rubber component.

As usual brilliant photographs.
~ 14.5-15K per tyre it seems. Surprisingly very little online feedback on the Scorpion ATR in India. What I have gather is that they are great for highways (for an AT tyre), and decent-to-good off the road. Was wondering about sidewall strength compared to the Geolanders'.

Khat noise, head unit, boot telescopes: if these are not isolated issues, then Toyota should do something about them for free . Will take it up with ASC and see their response.

Rubber component: the steering column passes through it when enteringthe engine bay. Prevents noise and dust from entering the interiors.
Old 29th April 2014, 20:21   #598
BHPian

Quote:
Rubber component: the steering column passes through it when enteringthe engine bay. Prevents noise and dust from entering the interiors.
I recently changed this unit in my Innova costed me 1800 bucks if I remember. NVH has been reduced significantly. Especially the harshness.

Do take up the matter first with the ASC and then with TKM.
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 00:08   #599
Senior - BHPian

Have been feeling really restless lately. Need to head out for the annual tiger fix.

Thinking of doing a 1 week trip in Central India - end of May or 1st week of June. Other option is Corbett June 1-4.

Need to get the vehicle in shape before that. Major expenses will be:
1. Windscreen repair
2. Tyre change
3. 70K servicing

I have held off on the brake booster upgrades. Fortuner owners who have been living with the upgraded brakes for a while now - is it worth it, in your opinion?
Old 8th May 2014, 10:45   #600
BHPian

Go for the brake upgrade. havent heard anyone who upgraded complaining abt it.

As for your lightforce, you do know that you can buy bits of the lights seperately, right ?
You can just get the reflector assembly alone.
Have couple of options as the base is same. so you can get the smaller size 17 if you dont want to go for the big one.

or just junk the whole thing and get a low profile LED bar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks