Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2015, 13:17   #661
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!

After the 100k servicing, a few issues had cropped up:
1. Kaat noise from the brakes when braking
2. Some metallic sound from the underbody or brakes when going over rough roads - as if something was loose
3. Noise from dashboard

Took the vehicle to the ASC. They said the brake and metallic noise were coming from the brake callipers. They greased it properly. They also opened and refined the dashboard panels.

Vehicle was there for 1.5 days. No charge. They seemed to have done a good job, I can't hear the noises anymore. Will see if they recurr after driving for a while.

Vehicle has done 102.5K km, purring along.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 9th August 2015 at 13:18.
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th August 2015, 20:54   #662
Senior - BHPian

re: Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!

Generally the noise comes from the brake caliper pins. This is what I have been told by the service advisers of Suzuki, honda etc. Keep a check and ask the advisers if you need to change the pins.
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2015, 12:38   #663
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Generally the noise comes from the brake caliper pins. This is what I have been told by the service advisers of Suzuki, honda etc. Keep a check and ask the advisers if you need to change the pins.
Yes, that is what they said. They did proper greasing this time, the sound is no longer there. If it comes back. I will take a call whether to love with it or get things replaced.

Overall, I was impressed with the effort the ASC took. Learning: makes sense to give the ASC time to diagnose and fix stuff, once in a while.
Old 10th August 2015, 12:59   #664
Senior - BHPian

Definitely! If once it is gauged that the ASC is reputed and trustable, it's not wrong to give them time.
On the caliper pin part. If the noise comes again you should get them replaced. Should cost about 500 to 1000 per caliper.
Old 20th August 2015, 11:46   #665
Senior - BHPian

Toyota and Dakar

Many people parrot "Mitsubishi wins Dakars, so the vehicle must be better tackling the rough stuff", in this forum.

Not many know that in the production category (where extensive modifications are not allowed), Toyota vehicles rule. This year, 2 LCs came first and second (like last year). A Fortuner came 3rd.
http://toyota.com.jo/toyota-victory-...-rally-winner/ Toyotas have high percentage of completions in T2 (production) category. Might as well go buy a Mini, if one talks about winning Dakars with extensive mods.

Good to know that the stock Fortuner is so capable. Cousin Hilux has gone to both the poles (with appropriate mods for tackling cold weather - e.g. tyres, filtration, antifreeze etc). See http://www.arctictrucks.com/Pages/4699
Old 24th August 2015, 13:55   #666
BHPian

Hi Nilanjan,

I just observed yesterday night that when I switch on the key (engine is not turned on), I hear some kind of grinding noise from engine bay.
So wanted to know if this is happening on yours as well. I will show it to ASC but just wanted to know if it's normal.
Old 27th September 2015, 19:12   #667
Senior - BHPian

5 yrs completed. 104,000 km.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaith.turbo View Post
Hi Nilanjan,

I just observed yesterday night that when I switch on the key (engine is not turned on), I hear some kind of grinding noise from engine bay.
So wanted to know if this is happening on yours as well. I will show it to ASC but just wanted to know if it's normal.
Sorry, visiting this thread after a while. That noise is normal, as long as it is faint. I think it was discussed in Guderian's Fortuner thread. But check with the ASC.

Haven't had a chance to drive the vehicle too much. Bison completed 5 years a couple of days back, purring along.

Expectations met from this 4WD Toyota. I have rough used this vehicle a lot, it hasn't let me down. And it feels like that it hasn't aged at all (unless one considers the numerous minor scratches).

Fingers crossed for the next few years. Many roadtrips planned :-)

Arunachal and the Assam National Parks. Corbett and Dudhwa. Ranthambore. Ladakh, Lahaul and Spiti. n trips to Central India.

Last edited by nilanjanray : 27th September 2015 at 19:20.
nilanjanray is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th October 2015, 11:32   #668
Senior - BHPian

104.5K: WIP service update. Caster/ Camber bolt?

I had taken it for servicing yesterday, the ASC threw a bouncer at me. They were doing alignment of the tyres, and suddenly the service adviser came up to me and said that the camber/caster bolt kit has become loose, can't be fixed. And that they don't have it in stock, they have to order it. So the vehicle will be in the workshop for one more day.

Apparently there it is a 3-piece part. Will cost `2K in total.

Now< I have no clue whether this happened due to an oversight of theirs e.g. someone was trying to tighten it too much, or did something wrong, or whether the problem happened on its own.

The SA promised that the vehicle will be ready by 5 pm. Let's see. Am worried about this because I will be leaving on a long trip soon. Don't want any wobbling or something coming lose or acting funny, when I am cruising at triple digit speeds over a thousand km.
Old 16th October 2015, 18:46   #669
Senior - BHPian

Typing from the ASC. Got back the alignment report. Right caster is over the specified range - at 3.11 degrees (instead of specified 2.50 plus or minus 0.30 degrees range). So the highest specified value is 2.80 degrees. Will this be an issue? All other values are within specifications.
Old 19th October 2015, 05:50   #670
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Typing from the ASC. Got back the alignment report. Right caster is over the specified range - at 3.11 degrees (instead of specified 2.50 plus or minus 0.30 degrees range). So the highest specified value is 2.80 degrees. Will this be an issue? All other values are within specifications.
I did read up a bit, while the nos are away from the specified tolerance level in your Fortuner's case, there are not many negative aspects of it from what I managed to read or results threw up.

Has the bolt kit arrived? Would be good idea to fit in new & then depart for your drive.

Was there any tire wear? And please, share a travelogue this time around
Old 19th October 2015, 10:16   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
I did read up a bit, while the nos are away from the specified tolerance level in your Fortuner's case, there are not many negative aspects of it from what I managed to read or results threw up.

Has the bolt kit arrived? Would be good idea to fit in new & then depart for your drive.

Was there any tire wear? And please, share a travelogue this time around
Got the car back the next day. Steering feels a little tighter, and there is a hint of understeer.

Tyres have done 36 K km, the inner side is a little more worn.

My trip is postponed to early Nov now.
Old 20th October 2015, 11:20   #672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilanjanray View Post
Got the car back the next day. Steering feels a little tighter, and there is a hint of understeer.
Is the camber/caster bolt-kit changed? Any particular reason for it to wear out or the shelf life is 1L kms?

How have the tires held up? The same tire is available in the size 235/65 R17, so am pretty tempted.
Old 11th November 2015, 14:36   #673
Senior - BHPian

109000 km update

I am back in Bangalore after a Bangalore - Tadoba - Kuno Palapur - Ranthambore - Pench - Bangalore trip. No issues, except that a couple of tyres needed some air (PSI had gone down by a couple of points).

I took the vehicle inside Kuno - Palapur Sanctuary in MP, the sanctuary where lions and cheetahs might be introduced. Did some trail driving. Went through thick grass. The high ground clearance and underbody protection helped.

I was on a tight schedule (e.g. I had to to reach Tadoba or Ranthabore in time for the afternoon safari), so had to drive fast over rough roads. The Bison just snorted and took everything in its stride

Got 11 kmpl for the 4122 km trip. This included cruising at 2500 RPM for hours.

The 'stiff steering' feel is no longer there.

Front tyre inner sides have got worn more than the outer sides. Need to get that sorted out. The tyres have done ~41000 km.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_7175.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_2089.jpg

Last edited by nilanjanray : 11th November 2015 at 14:51.
nilanjanray is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th February 2016, 20:56   #674
Senior - BHPian

111,000 km update

Got the vehicle serviced recently, 110K service. Standard work done, nothing extra, cost me ~ Rs. 5100 (including engine oil/oil filter change) and I got the vehicle back before lunch. Nothing to report. Which is good I suppose.

The service adviser said that the new 4WD Fortuner should be out sometime in 2H this year. And could cost ~ 40L on road.

A few old photos from 2012, taken in Uttarakhand. Bison looks and performs the same.

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8600.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8670.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_9151.jpg

Soldier of Fortune: Wanderings with a Trusty Toyota Fortuner - 150,000 kms up!-dsc_8649.jpg
nilanjanray is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th February 2016, 06:57   #675
Team-BHP Support

Nilanjan, would you go for Pirelli again when the time comes to change the footwear of Bison?

Most Viewed