Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2010, 08:59   #16
Senior - BHPian

Breakdowns are one thing, but this is a safety issue. If this was America, BMW would be getting sued for one large sum. You're absolutely right to call it unpardonable.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:17   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
I still did a few turns to check if all was well and then proceeded about 500 meters where I had to take a right turn into a lane, the steering almost jammed, with a car heading towards me !! Fortunately I was able to put some additional force and managed to park it at the side of the lane. There was smoke coming out of the engine bay with a peculiar smell.
Sahil, sorry to hear about this, though I'm glad it happened just after starting off, and not on the expressway (which your cars frequent so often)!

My experience with a German really hasn't been satisfactory in terms of reliability, and I don't find your situation acceptable either. Sure, full credit to BMW for the 5 year packages, but what about the inconvenience caused by the frequent workshop visits? Not to mention, two breakdowns in 50K. Thankfully, my 220 hasn't broken down on the road, though the times have been no less frustrating. It's because of this, and my experience with other cars, that I'm becoming a die-hard fan of Japanese machines. Simply put, they just don't let you down.

Only on tuesday night, I clicked a picture of a BMW 7 (previous gen) on a flatbed truck at Peddar road. I'm going to upload it to a new thread, highlighting how flat beds would go out of business if it weren't for the German car marques. Think of it, have you seen any non-German car on a flatbed? The last 6 cars I've seen have been either a Mercedes or a BMW (including one MH registered car in Goa!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by n.devdath View Post
Reading all this makes me think; When such are the wear and tear issues with vehicles costing INR 50.00 lacs, we shouldn't even smirk at our desi Safaris and Scorpios for their tantrums.
Compared to my Merc, the Safari & Scorpio are *saints*. Irrespective, failure shouldn't be accepted in today's cars...whether they cost 10 lakhs or 50.
Old 7th October 2010, 12:32   #18
BHPian

The German retreat?

>>>

Disturbing.
A major failure in three years. More importantly this could have become very nasty from a safety perspective had the car been at speed on the road.

Paying a premium for a car implies peace of mind on :

i. mechanical reliability
ii. safety (within reasonable limits)
iii. VIP treatment in the event of breakdowns/accidents ( a replacement car for the duration of repair)
iv. outstanding driving dynamics and comfort

It seems the Germans are falling way behind on the first two attributes.

Is there any difference in the first two attributes across the three - Audi, BMW & Mercedes? Any observations?

Regards

Last edited by issigonis : 7th October 2010 at 12:33. Reason: Corrected grammatical errors
Old 7th October 2010, 12:36   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

The car came back last evening, kudos to Maverick and Navnit team to get the job done so quickly.

It still drives and feels the same as before the breakdown, the new belts haven't improved or worsened any engine characteristics.
I was hoping the steering would get smoother and engine vibration at idle would further reduce but none of that has happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

Only on tuesday night, I clicked a picture of a BMW 7 (previous gen) on a flatbed truck at Peddar road. I'm going to upload it to a new thread, highlighting how flat beds would go out of business if it weren't for the German car marques. Think of it, have you seen any non-German car on a flatbed? The last 6 cars I've seen have been either a Mercedes or a BMW (including one MH registered car in Goa!)
I saw a new-gen 7er broken down bang in the middle of marine drive 2 Saturday nights ago. Trust me, there is no worse publicity than this. I even saw the car stuck at the same spot on my way back 4 hours later, I'm glad it got stuck at such a prime location that too on a Saturday night, there probably was at-least one potential buyer who'd have passed by and perhaps had second thoughts. I would like to consider myself a potential 7er buyer sometime down the line and defiantly had second thoughts when I saw it, and now with my own breakdown I am very skeptical.
I didn't click a picture but I think German Breakdowns would be a nice thread to start. And yes flatbed trucks thrive on these car's breaking down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post

Paying a premium for a car implies peace of mind on :

i. mechanical reliability
ii. safety (within reasonable limits)
iii. VIP treatment in the event of breakdowns/accidents ( a replacement car for the duration of repair)
iv. outstanding driving dynamics and comfort

It seems the Germans are falling way behind on the first two attributes.

Is there any difference in the first two attributes across the three - Audi, BMW & Mercedes? Any observations?
The first two attributes are highly questionable. The last two I must say are top notch, the flatbed towing charges of 3500 was footed by the dealership and the car was towed within 2 hours even though it was night time. And if the driving dynamics ever changed, I'd never put up with this car.

IMO, with respect to the first two attributes, Mercedes steals the show by far.

Last edited by Sahil : 7th October 2010 at 12:55.
Old 7th October 2010, 15:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
I'm going to upload it to a new thread, highlighting how flat beds would go out of business if it weren't for the German car marques. Think of it, have you seen any non-German car on a flatbed? The last 6 cars I've seen have been either a Mercedes or a BMW (including one MH registered car in Goa!).
Quote:
I didn't click a picture but I think German Breakdowns would be a nice thread to start. And yes flatbed trucks thrive on these car's breaking down.
The "German Breakdowns" thread is a great idea! And it's not just the BMWs and Mercs... just yesterday I saw an Audi A6 on a flatbed near Belundur. It had been raining heavily a few hours before and there was a big traffic snarl near the Belundur signal at about 11-11.30p.m. where I spotted the flatbed with it's precious cargo (hoping some of the B'lore guys spotted this one). Come to think of it, till date I've never seen an A6 moving on it's own power!!
Old 7th October 2010, 15:59   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Think of it, have you seen any non-German car on a flatbed? The last 6 cars I've seen have been either a Mercedes or a BMW (including one MH registered car in Goa!)
my verna was on flat bed when power stearing oil was leaked ....
Old 7th October 2010, 16:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

I was in the process of finalising on the new 525d! Should I shift from Mercs to Bmws?
My Dear Technician Ajay Parikh always prefers a Merc.
Friends Im confused! What should I do?
Old 7th October 2010, 16:44   #23
Senior - BHPian

After reading this, I am wondering whether I made a mistake by recommending a Bimmer to friend
Old 7th October 2010, 16:56   #24
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
I was in the process of finalising on the new 525d! Should I shift from Mercs to Bmws?
Classic case of ending up between a "rock" and a "hard place" .

Between the E & the 5 though, I'd pick the 5 any which day. Especially since your usage consists of self-drive + being chauffeur-driven. As things stand today, BMW offers 5 - 6 year complete maintenance packages and Merc doesn't. However, Mercedes may soon roll out competitive packages as they're in the process of setting up their own finance arm in India.

Last edited by GTO : 7th October 2010 at 16:59.
Old 7th October 2010, 17:17   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
don't you wish to wait for the Jag XF diesel?
Old 7th October 2010, 17:25   #26
Senior - BHPian

Reliability rules the head while rest rules the heart.

Sadly your's is just another case of a premium car breaking down without any reason, a car that was serviced at right time.

I recently read about a brand new 7 series (unregistered) which has to be towed back to workshop at Cochin. Imagine a Nano passing by and you waiting for tow truck in your premium car .
Old 7th October 2010, 17:40   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sachinj12 View Post
After reading this, I am wondering whether I made a mistake by recommending a Bimmer to friend
You're telling me ! Not only have I recommended BMWs to several friends and Bhpians but also gone ahead and bought 2 myself !

If all land up with breakdowns like this, I will have my foot in my mouth

Quote:
After all said and done, I still feel the BMW is a better 'gamble'.
Old 7th October 2010, 18:13   #28
BHPian

BMW has head office in Munich, Germany and I am staying in this city. They are having class showroom in Munich, centrally located, where anyone can walk-in, sit in any car or bike, and they are displaying lot of BMW technology using dummies, like how their 6 cylinder engine works, what is the setup of twin turbo in BMW, hydrogen fuel engine and how the hydrogen gas is being stored inside gas chamber and many other thing.

But I did not see anywhere mentioning about quality, at least the class showroom which I frequently visit. But definitely seems like they spend lot in R&D in developing new tech for machine.
Old 7th October 2010, 19:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

After all said and done, I still feel the BMW is a better 'gamble'.
You mean to say like "best of the worst ".Sorry to see it breakdown. Any petrol head would go mad and filled with anger to see it their bike or car breakdown.

And the thing mentioning that breakdowns acceptable for 10L car and not for 50 L car is totally BS . It should not happen ,irrespective of the price tag .

Its time ,manufactures fear of customers .

Sahil ,update when BMW reverts back . Ask for an additional year BSI ?

I wonder how many ppl (BMW owners ) who are not as knowledgeable are you/we , would just accept as their fault and just pay up .Bcos they don't know what a timing belt or what a RFT is ? and how many dealers would just pass blame to customers and fork out from them

Last edited by black12rr : 7th October 2010 at 19:24.
Old 7th October 2010, 23:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

@Sahil
Got the goosebumps going through your experience
Now all i am doing is hoping my baby dosnt suffocate out of the blue !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks