Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:52   #136
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by overboost! View Post
Oh man ! This is worrying. I was about to buy my first car next month and had decided on i20 Asta CRDi (6 speed). Now i'm not so sure anymore
overboost, there are many more cars in the market that offer much better value for money. Swift is a good one, Punto also promises of trouble free ownership. My advice is to steer clear from Hyundai, knowing mighty well that they do not work in the interest of the customer. Morever the Hyundai A.S.S across the nation are not competent enough to handle issues that are reported to them about the car
Old 23rd March 2011, 15:56   #137
MCR
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Saurabh, extremely sorry to know about the issues you are facing with your i20. One of my friend has a 2010 Petrol Asta model. The maximum mileage his car gives in Bangalore is 8 to 9 kpl. Can you recommend anything to improve the fuel efficiency. His driving habits are normal, he does not rev hard. Also his car is in stock condition.

Last edited by MCR : 23rd March 2011 at 16:04.
Old 23rd March 2011, 16:02   #138
BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by saurabhkanchan View Post
overboost, there are many more cars in the market that offer much better value for money. Swift is a good one, Punto also promises of trouble free ownership. My advice is to steer clear from Hyundai, knowing mighty well that they do not work in the interest of the customer. Morever the Hyundai A.S.S across the nation are not competent enough to handle issues that are reported to them about the car
I salute your patience, i too have striked out the i20 from my list of cars to buy.

That said, i am spreading the word and i am trying to divert all of my relatives and friends bookings towards other brands.

Hyundai ought to be taught a lesson for treating owners badly!
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:07   #139
Senior - BHPian

Well, the problems keep on getting compounded.

1. Speedometer- As reported earlier, dust was found creeping into the speedometer. Couple of days back , I noticed erratic behaviour of the speedometer. Eventhough the car was accelerating(tachometer needle was going up), the speedometer needle got stuck at 30 kmph for around 10 seconds before shooting up. Same thing was noticed when the car was decelerating. This was happening randomly and not everytime. Probably the speedometer is on the verge of giving up!!!!

2. Rust formation - Rust is getting formed at the spot where water was leaking in to the cabin from the rear glass , indicating water accumulated there everytime the car was washed. Inspite of having given the company & RO all the proofs, they refused to believe that there was water leaking into the cabin from the rear glass. Now, at the same spot, there is rust formation.

All these issues prove beyond doubt how the earlier goof ups by the "great" workshop in Junagadh are slowly destroying the car. I have written to Hyundai again, but will they ever listen?
Old 23rd March 2011, 17:21   #140
BHPian

I even mentioned the AC issue and Steering rattle issue to the people at the showroom, prompt reply was 'yes yes, these were issues when the car was launched, now its been sorted in the BS 4 version'.

Such a nice car with awesome features. What a waste.

But, there are people on the forum that are quite happy with the car too right ? Can owners of i20 CRDi Asta (6 speed) also confirm if same issues exist ?

Last edited by overboost! : 23rd March 2011 at 17:26.
Old 23rd March 2011, 19:37   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCR View Post
Saurabh, extremely sorry to know about the issues you are facing with your i20. One of my friend has a 2010 Petrol Asta model. The maximum mileage his car gives in Bangalore is 8 to 9 kpl. Can you recommend anything to improve the fuel efficiency. His driving habits are normal, he does not rev hard. Also his car is in stock condition.
I presume the car is still under warranty, so my advice to you is to take the car to the dealer, give the problem in writing and get an acknowledgement for the same. The reason being, tomorrow they shouldnt point out that the problem was never reported. Hyundai A.S.S and the R.O are dubiously famous for asking "proof" for each and every problem reported. See if the visit to the A.S.S solves the problem, if it doesnt, I say dont bother wasting your time, take it to a decent, experienced, reliable mechanic outside. Other members on the forum can guide you to one in Bangalore.

And yes, please update on the dealer response fro the problem reported.
Old 24th March 2011, 00:14   #142
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Well, the problems keep on getting compounded.

1. Speedometer- As reported earlier, dust was found creeping into the speedometer. Couple of days back , I noticed erratic behaviour of the speedometer. Eventhough the car was accelerating(tachometer needle was going up), the speedometer needle got stuck at 30 kmph for around 10 seconds before shooting up. Same thing was noticed when the car was decelerating. This was happening randomly and not everytime. Probably the speedometer is on the verge of giving up!!!!
as far as I know,cars with digital odos have the speedo running on some electrical feedback from the gear box - the old time speedo cables don't exist.

I remember that in a brand new 2002 Wagon-R,the speedo was not working and all the time the engine check light was on.A wire was plugged into a socket somewhere near the gear box and all was well.

In your case,could it be just a loose connection causing the speedometer to jerk?
Old 24th March 2011, 09:29   #143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post

In your case,could it be just a loose connection causing the speedometer to jerk?
It is no co-incidence that the speedometer started behaving erratically after dust was noticed inside the speedometer console.

God knows how many times those highly qualified "M.Techs & M.E.s" at Om Hyundai, Junagadh opened up the steering column, steering rack and what not to fix the steering rattle issue in my car. They goofed up while fitting things back resulting in dust getting inside the speedometer and probably the dust has damaged speedometer as well. This erratic behavior , as stated earlier, started only three days back. It was running fine before and this erratic behaviour of the speedometer does not happen everytime. I don't know what other things in the car are close to malfunction/failure because of the goof ups by the great Junagadh dealership.

Rust formation in the hatch door at the point of water leakage from the rear glass just proves my point that water was leaking in, something that the Junagadh dealership, the RO and the company refused to acknowledge.

Here's a "authorized" workshop which can't even fix a glass properly on a car without goofing it up and yet these people are being allowed to work on the car's sophisticated systems. Fixing a glass on a car should be child's play for experienced and qualified workshop personnel, but these people in Om Hyundai, Junagadh struggle to do even that. The RO and the company is fully aware of this and yet is not doing anything about it.

No reply yet from Hyundai customer care/RO yet to my e-mail pointing the above issues.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 24th March 2011 at 09:33.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:17   #144
BHPian

Hey Skanchan sad to hear about your journey with your ride till date.
A simple question: Y don't you sell the car? You might say- now that people know about your car it might not fetch you enough value. But I would any day go for peace of mind rather than these daily niggles. Buy yourself a new ride & enjoy your life. Life has much better in store than running behind these guys.
Old 24th March 2011, 21:17   #145
BHPian

Disturbing to read these tales of woes. There's another thread by rbp "My Korean beauty, Hyundai i20 CRDi Asta with sunroof" - with the owner again getting increasingly disenchanted and then frustrated. Its quite apparent that QA is on a steep decline in Hyundai. My colleagues, who have the older Verna & Getz, have only cribbed about expensive spares & Hyundai's habit of replacing entire part assemblies, instead of component level replacements. They never had failures of these types. This is indeed a new and disturbing development on Hyundai's newer models and this is bound to catch up with the company, no matter how the media is manipulated or who endorses their products.
I wonder how much this sort of QA will be carried over to their new RB8? At one point I was actively contemplating the RB8 for the next purchase. Now, I am not so sure !!
Old 25th March 2011, 15:55   #146
BHPian

I, as almost all of the TBHPians who've read this account of Mr Kanchan's experience with his i20, get stirred and shaken. Me more so, as I myself went ahead and bought the same car, inspite of being aware of such negative feedback on TBHP and amongst friends. My decision was 'cause it suited my budget, fitted my requirement to the tee, and offered great features - convenient and with that good big car feel. Barring the suspension, and the slight unsettling feeling at speeds in excess of 110-120kmph, I strongly believe i20 is a very very good product by Hyundai for the Indian market.

This said, every product has niggling issues, and so has i20. Hyundai must have definitely worked hard enough to get such issues resolved, but within the limitations cost, technology that can be offered at this level etc etc.

In your case Mr Kanchan, half of the problems have risen 'cause of the extensive repair the car has gone thru. Number of mechanic opening and reopening a complex machine like a modern day car, is bound to have an impact. Thats the reason you have controlled environments at automobile assembly lines. And also maybe why we prefer going to Authorized Service Centers and not to the local mechanic shop. Due to this I think this account of yours has gotten a little skewed as it has proceeded. No offense whatsoever intended.

Had I been in your place, as @Me-hul mentioned, I would have sold this car way earlier instead of persevering to get the problems fixed, especially after realizing quite early the incompetence of OM Hyundai mechanics.

Wish you best for the future. And yeah I'm glued to what happens next!!
Cheers
Old 25th March 2011, 20:57   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me-hul View Post
A simple question: Y don't you sell the car? You might say- now that people know about your car it might not fetch you enough value. But I would any day go for peace of mind rather than these daily niggles.
Well, looking a the present state of the car and looking at how things have been consistently failing/malfunctioning in the car, a sale at this point would be
1. At a huge loss
2. Will have to re-pay the outstanding loan amount at one go, which again will be a huge loss and will hurt even more financially and mentally
3. Even if we sell it, the new owner will certainly feel cheated( warranty void and hence expensive repairs/replacements), which we do not want.
4. The case in the consumer court now

Besides, I have grown to love the car and am deeply attached to it. I am the one who takes every care and precaution one can possible think of while washing, parking or driving. I used to drive 90 kms to the workshop to get the steering rattle fixed so many time and to this date the issue remains unsolved. Inspite of having co-operated with them ,all I got in the end was being labelled a jhik jhik wala and a paagal and being completely ignored by the company. I want to stick with the car, fight for it and to see that the people who were responsible for ruining it get punished. At some point of time, I also will have to get the repairs done, the most damaging is probably the rust formation in the hatch door.

All these recurrence of problems, damage and malfunctions in the car just prove that the great Junagadh workshop in Junagadh in fully responsible for the car's present state. I am seriously worried and get troubled by thinking what all other things are going to fail in the car.

All that I wanted from the beginning was to get the steering issue fixed in the car. Slowly, things got out of hand and the car is in a horrible state now. The company has, in all its arrogance, completely washed its hands off and the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CareFreeKid View Post
This said, every product has niggling issues, and so has i20. Hyundai must have definitely worked hard enough to get such issues resolved, but within the limitations cost, technology that can be offered at this level etc etc.
Well, Hyundai was from the beginning denying that the steering rattle issue existed in the i10/i20. In some cases, like mine, the owners were being told "ONLY your car is having such issues." , Now as per this post, http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...se-issues.html it is clear that Hyundai has secretly acknowledged the issue. There is a design fault in their steering systems that resulted in the rattle.

Quote:
In your case Mr Kanchan, half of the problems have risen 'cause of the extensive repair the car has gone thru. Number of mechanic opening and reopening a complex machine like a modern day car, is bound to have an impact. Thats the reason you have controlled environments at automobile assembly lines. And also maybe why we prefer going to Authorized Service Centers and not to the local mechanic shop. Due to this I think this account of yours has gotten a little skewed as it has proceeded.
When the EPS malfunctioned in the car, the car lay stranded for nearly a month. There was no help from Hyundai, instead I was being asked the drive the car with a rock hard steering more than 100 kms away to the nearest Hyundai workshop!!!! It was only after help from a fellow bhpian that I was able to get the car moving again.

It is quite evident with the issues that keep cropping up that those people in the supposedly "elite" and "authorized" Om Hyundai, Junagadh workshop are directly responsible. But then, is the company listening?

Remember how a certain telecom minister was being shielded by the government recently? This is exactly what Hyundai is doing with Om Hyundai, Junagadh. When even the top brass is not interested in monitoring how their dealerships are doing, where else do I go?

Quote:
No offense whatsoever intended.

Had I been in your place, as @Me-hul mentioned, I would have sold this car way earlier instead of persevering to get the problems fixed, especially after realizing quite early the incompetence of OM Hyundai mechanics.

Wish you best for the future. And yeah I'm glued to what happens next!!
Cheers
No offence taken and thanks. After the "engineers" at Om Hyundai ruined the car,( details in this post: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2107001 ) , the next service I got done from Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot. They were able to solve one of the long standing issues in the car (brake noise), something which Om Hyundai wallahs struggled to do.

As for the consumer court case, its close to three months now since the case was filed in the court, there has been no reply filed by the respondents. They were not properly responding to my e-mails and report, but this is ridiculous!!!!! I know its going to drag on and on and on.
Old 26th March 2011, 11:00   #148
BHPian

Quote:
This said, every product has niggling issues, and so has i20. Hyundai must have definitely worked hard enough to get such issues resolved
I do not agree Hyundai has worked hard enough to solve the problem in hand. I am a Marine Engineer, we have to strictly adhere to the arrival time at the next port. Any problem we encounter mid-sea has to be solved ASAP, we do not sit back and wait for some divine intervention to magically solve the problem. During a voyage, we have a main engine running for propulsion, a generator, its associated fuel, lube, cooling system, water,steam generation system, in all, the number of running parts are much more than those in the car. Should we decide to act like Hyundai, i guess the cargo movement across the world would come to a halt.
Hyundai, since the launch of the i-20 has just sat on the steering rattle problem. It is only now that secret TSBs are being circulated across the nation acknowledging the problem. But with the level of incompetence of the A.S.S, there is definitely no resolution in sight.

Quote:
but within the limitations cost, technology that can be offered at this level etc etc.
Here's a car that Hyundai has gone on record to state is 5 star rated car in terms of safety, I do not understand what level are you referring to here. A car that's worth more than 6 lakh Indian rupees and in return what do you get? A rattling haven? A car whose steering system fails in the middle of heavy traffic? And to top it all a company that just does not listen. Any problem reported to the company goes un-noticed, the customer labelled a mad-man and in the end -vandalism.

Hyundai had gone ahead and recalled 139500 Sonatas in the U.S in October 2010, and here they simply refuse to acknowledge the problem. The reason is simple, Hyundai very well understands in India they can get away with absolutely anything. Because after a while, Indians learn to adjust with the problems. As far as selling the car goes, its our hard money invested in the car, selling it for a decent loss is not something i fancy. HMIL has messed up the car very badly and they need to acknowledge the incompetence that runs in their system. I believe Hyundai i-20 is the best car in its segment on the Indian roads today, Hyundai needs to find solution to the problems reported to them and not leave customers high and dry.

Please understand this is a vicious circle that will never come to an end. Global giants will continue to take the Indian market and customers for granted, offering sub-standard products and below standard after sales service. Selling off the defective product is not the solution to the problem. We very well understand that this case will drag on for a long time, just like harishv's Skoda issue, but unless we make an attempt, nothing will change in the Indian car scenario. Companies will blatantly exploit the loopholes in the judicial system and continue taking customers for a ride. Today its with Hyundai, tomorrow it may be VW, Maruti, Chevrolet, Ford...the list will be endless, unless we try. I do not say all customers are facing problems, there are customers who are very happy with the Hyundais sold to them, we too were one of them with the Hyundai Accent, but in those 3 years of selling it off, things have changed for the worse with Hyundai.

Only a handful of A.S.S qualify the tag of being authorised, the rest are just a bunch of thugs wanting to dent a hole in the pockets of customers. This is applicable to all companies and not localised only to Hyundai.

Last edited by saurabhkanchan : 26th March 2011 at 11:14.
Old 26th March 2011, 14:25   #149
BHPian

Whenever we encounter any problem, our immediate reaction is to get rid of the culprit, on the pretext of having a peace of mind(no offence intended to anyone). But we need to ask ourself, is that really a solution to the problem?

We encounter problems in every walk of life, job, family, friends but do we abandon them? Everybdy has faced a Hari Sadu at work sometime in his career but have we abandoned our job because of it? Difference in opinion with spouse, mother father, do we abandon them? Why then talk of abandoning the car if a problem arises?

I do not understand the words "Indian standards" "cost and quality restriction". If somebody does, please explain to me how standards of safety differ from country to country, people to people. After home, the biggest investment for anyone in India would be a car. After paying the hefty amount to the company, do we deserve anything less than what the car is worth? If that is true, maybe all car manuacturers shou state in writing that every car less than rs. X wuld rattle, Y wud suffer air conditioning defect, Z would be the best only it would suffer electrical failure once in a while.

IMHO, the cars that we spend on are from our hard earned money; somebody puts in those extra hours at work, at the cost of spending time with his new born, somebody stays away from home for months, somebody has saved for years to get his dream machine. Does anybody think that the money we spend on these cars can be taken for ganted?

Cars are machines but when we buy, they become a part of the family. Noboy gets rid of a family member just because he/she starts giving trouble. Peace of mind is important but isnt it equally important to get to the oot of the problem than cutting the stem.

People working with these car manufacturers have turned a deaf ear to all the problems being reported to them, labelling customers mental patients. Well, these people dont really need to worry, because whether they work or not, they get their shre from the company at the end of the month.

Last edited by saurabhkanchan : 26th March 2011 at 14:48.
Old 27th March 2011, 21:26   #150
BHPian

Hey Skanchan. Have you tried changing the position of steering wheel? Just try & check if the rattle still exists. Might sound silly, but just give it a shot. Nothing wrong in trying I feel.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks