Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd October 2011, 10:05   #181
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Look what I found.

I wasn't the only one at the receiving at end of the Gujarat Hyundai RO's "greatness" i.e refusal & inaction against erring Hyundai workshops. Another shocking example of the said RO siding with a erring dealership. The description of the video reads:

Quote:
Hyundai fitted Dulicate CNG Kit giving original hyundai bills and denies to say anything on this issue.
Punjab Cars and Hyundai company are on to this together.
people who played with my family's life : XXX, XXX, XXX, XXX
The car is a Gandhinagar registered Accent Executive. I know or have heard of atleast two of those Hyundai fellows mentioned in the youtube link( I have blanked out their names intentionally. See the youtube link to see who they are).

How does one expect justice when "responsible" people from the company start behaving like corrupt cops and start playing around with someone's life? No one wonder these fellows took my case of EPS malfunction so lightly!!!!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 23rd October 2011 at 10:20.
Old 1st January 2012, 09:48   #182
Senior - BHPian

re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Any one know where's the outside temperature sensor in the i20 located?

The outside temperature display is stuck at 13 degrees celsius in the MFD for the past two days. Even when the car was parked in bright sunshine where the temp must have been atleast 28-29 degrees.

I wonder if dust has accumulated over the sensor , thereby giving erroneous reading or is it on the verge of going kaput?
Old 1st January 2012, 13:44   #183
Senior - BHPian

Just went through your i20 thread today and am really shocked to say the least , a dealer could be bad or not worth taking your car to but why is Hyundai not attending to you, this kind of attitude is further encouraging the dealers to misbehave.

You, wildon and one more member whose fuel pump failed, all have such negative view towards Hyundai and its customers. They were so good in the beginning, around year 2000 or so when we had the old Santro, they used to call tons of times for even small complaints. I have in any case lost all faith in them, our Xing went for servicing to a nearby svc called S. Vidya and i found the car too rough once it was back, took it to my mechanic and he told me that engine oil is used and no way its 200-300 kms old oil - i complained to hyundai over mail but never got any appreciable response.

They were good but seems the long waiting on Verna and good sales in almost all segments have taken their attitude too high that they are not doing anything.

What advice can we give you - the dealer isnt helping, the company not helping and this is one thing which outside garages cant fix too as its a design fault. I would advice to sell the car if you can and move on, atleast you would have peace of mind and not just feel bad over your decision every time you hear that rattle.

We were looking for a hatchback and i20 was out even before a test drive - i can bear the rattle but not a company whose officials are thick headed and have no regard for customers. Even a pizza company like Dominos apologised to me 10 times for not delivering yesterday due to rush and offered a free 1000 coupon - a car company can definitely do better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95
The outside temperature display is stuck at 13 degrees celsius in the MFD for the past two days. Even when the car was parked in bright sunshine where the temp must have been atleast 28-29 degrees
Try resetting everything, remove the negative terminal of the battery for a few mins and then reconnect. See if it fixes it as it resets some of the electronics, if its again stuck at 13, then could be the sensor needs replacement.

Clean the ACC sensor on the dashboard and see if it helps but i doubt it would.

Last edited by coolboy007 : 1st January 2012 at 13:55.
Old 1st January 2012, 14:06   #184
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
You, wildon and one more member whose fuel pump failed, all have such negative view towards Hyundai and its customers.
It was my i20 which suffered the fuel pump failure, in 29000 kms and 27 months, and it was out of service for 25 days.

Hyundai's attitude/response in downright pathetic. They simple refuse to acknowledge that the customer exists. Once the car is made, everything seems to be the dealerships problem.

Hyundai regional office people simply avoid your calls, cut your calls, and dont ever call back. Almost make you feel you are begging for a free meal!

Fortunately for me, my service centre is great, and they were the only good thing about the whole ordeal.
AbhiJ is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2012, 17:21   #185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They were good but seems the long waiting on Verna and good sales in almost all segments have taken their attitude too high that they are not doing anything.
Exactly. The high sales has gone into their heads. They do not and will not take action against pathetic supposedly "authorised" workshops. A customer who repeatedly complains is called a "jhik jhik" waala!!!! The workshop in Junagadh fitted the rear glass so poorly that water still leaks into the cabin and on top of that they purposely ruined the dashboard and steering wheel in my i20 and inspite of having provided concrete proof of the same, the RO refuses to do anything about it. It was almost a crime to complain against their good for nothing workshop in Junagadh.

The RO senior manager was so arrogant that he foolishly said & I quote "next time steering rattle crops up, we'll drive to you home with all the tools". When the rattle did crop up again, and we informed him about the same, he chose to keep quiet. What can one expect from such arrogant people who seem to have forgotten their brain at home and do not even think before speaking?

Quote:
What advice can we give you - the dealer isnt helping, the company not helping and this is one thing which outside garages cant fix too as its a design fault. I would advice to sell the car if you can and move on, atleast you would have peace of mind and not just feel bad over your decision every time you hear that rattle.
Well, as you may be aware , we filed a case against them in January last year. Things have been going quite slow and the response that they have given to the court is well, disappointing, and typical of Hyundai WRT the steering issue. For the time being, I will not divulge the details.

Quote:
Try resetting everything, remove the negative terminal of the battery for a few mins and then reconnect. See if it fixes it as it resets some of the electronics, if its again stuck at 13, then could be the sensor needs replacement.
Tried that, it still stuck at 13. I will have it checked at the ASC in Rajkot, who BTW, are a million times better than that useless ASC in Junagadh. Speaking of which, I had once asked on of their SAs in the Junagadh workshop about where the outside temp sensor was located. He seemed to be avoiding answering it and said "Humarey pass us sensor ko check karney kay norms nahi hai". That itself should have have given me a hint as to how "good " these chaps in Junagadh really were!!!
Old 18th January 2012, 19:35   #186
BHPian

Your thread is quite a read man. I own an i20 1.2 petrol and its nearing 2 years, thankfully the only problem I have so far is the dreaded steering rattle.

I thought my service centre (Popular Trivandrum) was quite Pathetic but after going to through your thread I consider myself blessed.
Old 11th February 2012, 08:42   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadbike View Post
Your thread is quite a read man. I own an i20 1.2 petrol and its nearing 2 years, thankfully the only problem I have so far is the dreaded steering rattle.

I thought my service centre (Popular Trivandrum) was quite Pathetic but after going to through your thread I consider myself blessed.
Another example of Hyundai's lies - that they were able to solve the steering rattle issue in 2010 models!!! God help them if the steering rattle continues in the upcoming 2012 facelift model.

Well, in my case, the Regional Offices in Ahmedabad & Mumbai did not want to take any action against the useless workshop in Junagadh (atleast one of the fellows in the RO is a member of team-bhp). It seemed to me that they were hand in glove with the workshop. They seemed to be siding with them always and trying to cover up their wrong doings, sort of like corrupt cops siding with goons. They must be very proud of how the too played a part in ruining my car.

To me, this has been the biggest disappointment with Hyundai. Not only was their Junagadh workshop incompetent, even their great "supposedly qualified" managers sitting in the RO too turned out to be incompetent. None of them even bothered to respond when things in my car had reached a breaking point. Anyway, I haven't lost hope of seeing them in court, hoping that eventually truth and justice will prevail.
Old 11th February 2012, 09:36   #188
BHPian

The issue with Hyundai seems to be this - the company don't really care about the individual customer. Your experience with the Hyundai brand will ultimatley depend on your dealer/A.S.S.

In the case of Maruti I have had several instances where mailing to their customer support has helped, but in case of Hyundai knowing Service Advisors/Service Manager at the A.S.S personally helps you way more than complaining to Hyundai. A bit like the government offices !

I really can't say I have much to complain about my car at this point. The A.S.S experience started out not so good for me, but after giving them a couple of poor ratings I am now treated as a priority customer (so they say) and the steering gearbox has already been replaced twice under warranty.

After booking the 2012 Nano I backed out of it (as a friend of mine crashed his and his co-passenger didn't make it) and bought a second hand Swift VXi, and driving the swift after the i20 makes you appreciate the Hyundai a lot more !
Old 11th February 2012, 17:22   #189
Team-BHP Support

Hi. I'm reposting an older post from another thread since this issue is still unresolved. Please do give inputs if anyone has some idea on this.
------

Lost one key: replacement process

Background:
Our i20 came with 2 keys, both with electronic (button type) key fob together with a key that goes into the ignition.

A few months ago, the parking attendant at my wife's office lost one of the keys for our i20.

Replacement process as explained by Hyundai:

Went to Hyundai COCO service centre at Char Rasta Sewri (Mumbai) and here's the process to get a new key as explained by them.

1. They took my car's registration number to pull out the VIN number etc to understand what sort of key it comes with.

2. I need to pay Rs. 8400 (approx) to Hyundai for which they supply me the key fob with an embedded blank smooth key.

3. I need to go out into the market myself, and get some key maker to chisel it in shape using the spare key for reference, either manually or using some sort of machine - I'm not sure what the process is.
3(a). Hyundai will not do step 3 themselves.
3(b). Hyundai will not even provide me a reference as to who does this in the outside market. This is something I have to figure out by myself.

4. Once I have completed step 3., I come back to Hyundai and they complete some sort of coding on my key so that the buttons operate the car properly.

5. I'm now good to return home with 2 sets of keys.

My issues:

I find it inconceivable that Hyundai is making me do part of the work to complete this process - that too aftermarket. My expectation is I should go to Hyundai with my car and spare key, leave the car with them if so required, pay them the necessary charges and they will provide me the spare key officially from Hyundai.

Firstly, why do I have to do part of the running around in this process (that too where they provide no assistance in even pointing me in the right direction - see 3(b) above).

Secondly, while they are programming the button keys, I'm effectively forced to getting the actual key made from a roadside ventor - this is the part of the key that goes into the ignition - I find this proposition very disconcerting.

Queries:

i. Can anyone tell me if they've had a similar experience (with Hyundai or anyone else) and if this is indeed the process or am I being misguided.

ii. Assuming this is the only way I can get a spare key, can anyone guide me to a reliable source in Mumbai (preferably not in the far suburbs) where I can do the work set out in point 3 above.

Any other thoughts or comments on this welcome. Overall I'm very disappointed at the way they are handling this entire process. Just out of curiosity, I'm going to check with Honda what they would have done had this happened with my City / Civic.

Thanks in advance!
Old 11th February 2012, 18:51   #190
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
Hi. I'm reposting an older post from another thread since this issue is still unresolved. Please do give inputs if anyone has some idea on this.
------

Hi Axe77,
My dad displaced/lost my Ford fiesta's key (with built-in central locking).
I had to give them a letter saying I had lost my keys. They charged me 7K, if I remember right, and gave me a new set of keys. They took about 2 days, but never asked me to get anything done outside.
I have seen an ad in autocar magazine which says they will provide you with key fobs. Why don't you try with them? I dont know how credible they are, but you might want to check that out first.
Old 11th February 2012, 23:46   #191
Team-BHP Support

Thanks shivasuma. I will try and locate the ad. It still bums me out that I can't simply have this sorted at Hyundai's own service centre. I've escalated this to hyundai but there's no solution despite the escalation.
Old 13th February 2012, 20:45   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The issue with Hyundai seems to be this - the company don't really care about the individual customer. Your experience with the Hyundai brand will ultimatley depend on your dealer/A.S.S.
Agreed, as with other car brand. But Hyundai's complete lack of action against erring workshops is disgusting & disappointing, not to mention their treatment of customers who come in with repeated complaints( for e.g steering rattle).

Quote:
I really can't say I have much to complain about my car at this point. The A.S.S experience started out not so good for me, but after giving them a couple of poor ratings I am now treated as a priority customer (so they say) and the steering gearbox has already been replaced twice under warranty.
What if I tell you after giving them poor ratings, they damaged my car on purpose as a revenge for it? What was more disgusting was how the RO( and Hyundai too) completely sided with those vandals at that good for nothing workshop in Junagadh. In one of the threads, I mentioned how during a JD Power survey phone call, we gave that workshop in Junagadh poor ratings in every aspect. This workshop some how came to know of this and the end result was the wrecking job they carried out on the car!!!

Inspite of having replaced the steering rack twice & steering column once and the countless number of steering rattle fix experiments done on my car, the problem still continues in the car.

Quote:
bought a second hand Swift VXi, and driving the swift after the i20 makes you appreciate the Hyundai a lot more !
My experience with the Swift & the i20 has been completely opposite. In the hindsight, I was more happy with my old Swift ZXi. Not only was it miles ahead in terms of sheer driving pleasure, it had a more powerful A/c and it did not have a steering that was prone to rattles & malfunctions. The Achilles heel of the Swift was the rattle from from the plastics, which atleast was easier and faster to fix, than the long process of trying to fix the unfixable steering rattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
------

One of the things the sales executive told us on the delivery day was to be careful about our Asta's keys. If it gets lost or gets damaged, replacement would be a costly and lengthy process. He had said at that time that it may cost around Rs 15,000 for a new key.
Old 13th February 2012, 21:37   #193
BHPian

Quote:
Agreed, as with other car brand. But Hyundai's complete lack of action against erring workshops is disgusting & disappointing, not to mention their treatment of customers who come in with repeated complaints( for e.g steering rattle).
I have had bad experiences with Maruti as well. When my old Wagon R was under warranty they refused to replace the Front LHS wheel axle saying it was covered in a rubber part and there fore don't come under warranty. Writing to Maruti several times did help, with them changing the part free of cost. I switched my service centre to another authorised one and was happy with their service.

[quote]What if I tell you after giving them poor ratings, they damaged my car on purpose as a revenge for it? What was more disgusting was how the RO( and Hyundai too) completely sided with those vandals at that good for nothing workshop in Junagadh. In one of the threads, I mentioned how during a JD Power survey phone call, we gave that workshop in Junagadh poor ratings in every aspect. This workshop some how came to know of this and the end result was the wrecking job they carried out on the car!!!

Inspite of having replaced the steering rack twice & steering column once and the countless number of steering rattle fix experiments done on my car, the problem still continues in the car.

You seem to have a really bad A.S.S aren't there other options. If I were you I would rather service my car at some place like Bosch service centres if my A.S.S is terrible. That is what my uncle did when Tata guys in Trivandrum started screwing him over, switched to Bosch and he has been happy ever since.

As for the steering issue, the Service Manager at Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum confirmed to me that they cannot fix the issue, and all they can do is change the parts as long as the Vehicle is under warranty.

Quote:
My experience with the Swift & the i20 has been completely opposite. In the hindsight, I was more happy with my old Swift ZXi. Not only was it miles ahead in terms of sheer driving pleasure, it had a more powerful A/c and it did not have a steering that was prone to rattles & malfunctions. The Achilles heel of the Swift was the rattle from from the plastics, which atleast was easier and faster to fix, than the long process of trying to fix the unfixable steering rattle.
Swift, I agree is much more fun to drive than the i20, but in my case (may be I am not a puritan) it gives me more pleasure taking the boat i.e the i20 around corners etc. its more of a challenge. The A.C is poor, but the trick is to keep it in recirculation mode with your windows rolled down for 10 minutes or so, installing film on front windshield helps as well but not much.

But going from the i20s cabin to the Swifts (old one) it feels like a big downgrade in space,quality and features, the ride is poorer as well.

But for your horrible A.S.S experiencese you happy with your i20 ?

Last edited by GTO : 22nd February 2012 at 13:41. Reason: Fixing naked quote tag
Old 13th February 2012, 22:06   #194
Senior - BHPian

Its really sad that i10 and i20 end up as nothing short of crappy products with so many design flaws...most importantly the steering and suspension, both dreadful. Sell off the car and get a jazz. It will be available off the shelf from may onwards.
Old 14th February 2012, 09:19   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You seem to have a really bad A.S.S aren't there other options. If I were you I would rather service my car at some place like Bosch service centres if my A.S.S is terrible. That is what my uncle did when Tata guys in Trivandrum started screwing him over, switched to Bosch and he has been happy ever since.
After the wrecking job carried out by those fools in the Junagadh workshop, I never went to that workshop again, what did go to them from our side was a legal notice, for which they took an eternity to respond.

I switched to a Hyundai workshop which was a further 90 kms north of Junagadh (Shreenath Hyundai, Rajkot), which meant I had to drive 180+ kms one way just to get to the workshop in Rajkot(from Veraval). Those guys in Rajkot are atleast better in terms of listening and addressing an issue. They were certainly trying to help and were sympathetic to my car's plight.

Quote:
As for the steering issue, the Service Manager at Popular Hyundai, Trivandrum confirmed to me that they cannot fix the issue, and all they can do is change the parts as long as the Vehicle is under warranty.
Yeah, the guys in Rajkot have confirmed the same too and I have an e-mail confirming the same.

Why should we, as customers, suffer because some fool in Hyundai goofed up while designing the steering system? Now after the warranty expires, only God knows how much they will charged for repairs/fixes to the steering, the car will be running on four wheels and a prayer!!!! In fact I had asked the same question to Hyundai RO & the customer care, none of them had an answer to it.

Quote:
But going from the i20s cabin to the Swifts (old one) it feels like a big downgrade in space,quality and features, the ride is poorer as well.
Agree on that point. But then, I would drive a car that has poor(comparatively) interiors and a far more stable steering than a car which has better interiors but has a steering that has serious design flaws. A car(i20) that suffered from steering malfunction certainly doesn't deserve a 5 star safety rating in my opinion.

Quote:
But for your horrible A.S.S experience you happy with your i20 ?
When one the car's critical systems has a serious defect and the fact that the steering malfunctioned in the middle of traffic, with me barely avoiding an accident(Link to post describing that incident & Hyundai's pathetic response here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2178493), I certainly am not happy and surely regret the decision to buy the i20. It is shameful that a supposedly "responsible" car company like Hyundai treated the incident and steering complaints in the i20 so lightly.

So, unless they completely redesign the steering system in the i20, I am afraid the same issue will continue in the new facelifted i20. I mean look at the number of failed experiments to fix the issue - steering rack change, magnetic transparent grease, yoke plug/spring, steering rack/column tightening at a particular torque setting and what not!!!!. Umesh Yadav will have better odds of scoring a test century than Hyundai ever finding a permanent solution to steering issues in the i20 !!!

Last edited by skanchan95 : 14th February 2012 at 09:23.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks