Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2014, 10:43   #286
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
This particular problem was an old one. In my car, the steering rack & steering column were opened countless number of times(to fix the infamous steering rattle issue). The Speedometer may have been damaged during one of these operations, as is obvious from the tape wrapped around the old speedometer assembly .

The Speedometer was opened to clean the dust atleast three times in Junagadh. So I knew it was only a temporary fix to open up and clean the speedometer. Eventhough you can't make out from the photos, on the insides of the speedometer "glass", there are swirls & scratches - Like the ones you have one the car's exterior if you keep in using a rough cloth to clean the car. One could clearly make out the swirls on the speedometer in the night. The speedometer replacement was there on my mind for quite some time. It was an irritant and probably the last reminder of the shoddy work done on the car by Om Hyundai, Junagadh. Whatever damage they had caused to the car either knowingly or unknowingly has now vanished, as I replaced all those damaged parts.
Pathetic service really and for absolutely no fault of yours you had to undergo this financial and more importantly mental trauma. The pricing of the console though it pretty VFM. I thought it to be more expensive.
extreme_torque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2014, 11:12   #287
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
The pricing of the console though it pretty VFM. I thought it to be more expensive.
About an year back, when I had casually ask the price of the speedometer console for an 2009 petrol i20, I was told it would be close to 9000.

Mine's a first gen 2009 i20 1.2 petrol with red lighting and relatively simple speedometer cluster (compared to the current i20). The 2011 facelifted i20 came with blue lighting and gear shift indicator on the speedometer. The current i20 model has a completely different speedometer and a more advanced console. So, I assume the prices for the first gen speedometer cluster would have dropped drastically because of this reason.
Old 28th March 2014, 13:27   #288
Senior - BHPian

Paid the Karnataka state lifetime road tax(LTT) for the car at RTO Mangalore yesterday. LTT Amount was Rs 67,446(this included the depreciation for a four and a half year old car - LTT if the car was new would have been around 86K odd).

Compared to Karnataka LTT, Gujarat LTT seems like peanuts(Rs 30K odd that we paid when we bought the car).

Documents by RTO Mangalore needed for inter-state registration transfer were:
1. Original RC book(with RTO NOC stamp)
2. Car Insurance Copy
3. PUC Certificate
4. New Address/Identity Proof
5. Form No. 28 (given by RTO Junagadh - to issue Form 28, RTO Junagadh needed a police certificate( from Veraval Police Station) stating that there was no criminal case against the car i.e involved in theft/ hit and run incidents)
6. There were two other Forms( to be filled by self) , i believe one of them was Form No. 33).

The car was inspected by RTO Inspector and he checked the VIN & Engine no.

The new KA-19 Registration number & RC book/smart card should come within a month's time after verification.
Old 30th March 2014, 10:35   #289
BHPian

How is the infamous steering rattle now? I think my Nov 2013 model i20 is another victim of this. Went through your youtube video of the rattle. My rattle is not so pronounced or loud but it still is there. And it happens when the air pressure is about 33 on the front wheels. If the pressure is maintained at 29-30 it does not rattle! Supposing they agree to the issue how long does it take to get the steering column replaced? I am moving to Bengaluru soon, so can anyone suggest the best Authorized SS there?
Old 31st March 2014, 16:55   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphahere View Post
How is the infamous steering rattle now? I think my Nov 2013 model i20 is another victim of this. Went through your Youtube video of the rattle. My rattle is not so pronounced or loud but it still is there. And it happens when the air pressure is about 33 on the front wheels. If the pressure is maintained at 29-30 it does not rattle! Supposing they agree to the issue how long does it take to get the steering column replaced? I am moving to Bengaluru soon, so can anyone suggest the best Authorized SS there?
In my car its not there any more. But, a loud rattle has now started coming possibly from the lower steering area whenever the car is driven on concrete roads. Will have it check in a couple of days. Tyre pressure that I maintain is 30 psi.

I don't think Hyundai ever nailed down what the exact problem was in the i20/i10 steering rattle saga. It was more of a trial and error method. For some changing the steering rack worked and for some changing the steering column worked. But in my case changing both the rack & column did not work for quite some time, it was only after new so called i-gen i20's steering rack & column were installed on the car, that the rattle finally did stop.

It normally taken 10-15 days for them to source a part like the steering column and/or steering rack. But if you get these things done at an competent Hyundai workshop, the after affects will hurt and haunt you even more. I had to recently change the speedometer console after dust creepage inside the speedometer became very severe. Poor refitment can possible damage the suspension, lead to early tyre wear, careless handing of other parts opened during the column replacement can damage it( like the speedometer)etc.
Old 2nd April 2014, 10:45   #291
Senior - BHPian

The car started making a rattling noise from (what felt like) the lower part of the steering column whenever it was driven on concrete roads. It was quite loud and could be heard over the car's A/C & music sounds.

Had it checked out at Advaith yesterday. The SA, Mr Ganesh took a test drive with me over a stretch of concrete road and immediately identified as caliper rattle noise. He said due to age and wear and tear, the calipers developed play and need to be greased. He however warned that this may just a temporary solution and final solution, in case the rattle crops up again, is to replace both caliper assemblies.

They took around 20 minutes to grease the calipers and on a TD on the same stretch of concrete road, no sound could be heard.

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-2.jpg
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2014, 14:12   #292
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
They took around 20 minutes to grease the calipers and on a TD on the same stretch of concrete road, no sound could be heard.
Is it not done in your regular services? I think its a scheduled maintenance work since in my case, they have done the caliper greasing during every service.
Old 2nd April 2014, 18:05   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyfrmblr View Post
Is it not done in your regular services? I think its a scheduled maintenance work since in my case, they have done the caliper greasing during every service.
Caliper Greasing was done during the car's last service(02 Nov 2013) and it is a part of regular service.

As told by the SA, due to age and wear and tear, the calipers had developed play. He said greasing should take care of it(and it did), but if it starts again in the near future, the caliper assemblies have to be replaced.
Old 26th April 2014, 12:19   #294
Senior - BHPian

Got the car back today from its regular service today.

Had given the car for its regular service & underbody anti-rust coating. Other issue was rattle from the front passenger seat( when it is unoccupied), which has become quite loud & irritating.

As told by SA, there is no fix for it and the whole seat assembly had to be changed, which is expensive and not worth it.

Total service bill was Rs 6580(including Rs 2200 for underbody coating).
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-2.jpg

Once again exceptional work by Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore, particularly the SA, Mr Praveen Kumar K.
Old 31st July 2014, 15:11   #295
Senior - BHPian

Finally RTO Mangalore issued Karnataka registration number for our car. Got the new RC card today. It took nearly four months to issue the new number from the date of payment of Karnataka Road Tax.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-scan-1.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-scan-11.jpg

Wasted no time in getting new number plates from Car Decor, Mangalore
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20140731_140806.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-20140731_140830.jpg

Have to now apply for road tax refund from Junagadh RTO.
Old 18th August 2014, 22:35   #296
BHPian

Hyundai i20 - Steering column issues

Mod Note: Post moved to an existing thread. Please SEARCH before starting threads on topics that have been extensively discussed on the forums.

I've been a member of Team-BHP for a few years now and am a huge fan of this forum revealing aspects of vehicle ownership that never makes it into the articles in magazines and paid-media in general.

I've been a car-nut ever since I can recall but somehow once I had a driving license, motorcycles ruled my heart and soul. Hence, when it came to buying a car, I ended up ruling out gems such as the Punto and the Swift for reasons of service backup and interior space respectively and plonked for a Petrol i20 (Sportz variant with steel wheels) in 2011.

I've not had any issues whatsoever with the car and it was a genuinely good experience right until this year when I decided to drop it off for the annual service at Trident Hyundai in Seshadripuram, Bangalore.

What follows is the mail that I sent to Hyundai customer care:

Dear Sirs,

I purchased a Hyundai i20 (Sportz-O variant) Car in January 2011 from your Dealers, M/s Trident Hyundai and have been keeping the Car duly serviced from time to time at your Authorized Service Centres though I have driven the Car very sparingly and it has so far covered only a distance of around 8000 (Eight Thousand) Kms.

During the last routine servicing at Trident Hyundai Service Centre, Sheshadripuram, Bangalore, I had pointed out that a squeaking noise was heard when the Steering Wheel was turned fully and after due check up I was informed that this was due to the defect in the Yoke which needed to be replaced. Accordingly, with my consent, they replaced the Yoke but while taking delivery of the Car, I found that the Steering Wheel was very tight and I was finding it difficult to turn the Car. When I pointed this out, I was informed by the Service Advisor Mr. Giridhar that this was to be expected and that things will become normal if I continue driving the Car for a few hundred Kilometres. Once again, when I pointed out this continuing difficulty on the next couple of occasions, I was assured that everything was okay and that if the Yoke was loosened, it may become even more of a handicap later.

After a couple of months, when I had driven the Car a little more than 100 (One Hundred) Kilometres, I found that the Steering Wheel was getting stuck frequently while trying to turn the Car while parking or while taking the Car out of the Basement, and the Steering Wheel gets released in starts and stops. When I took the Car once again to Trident Hyundai Service Centre and spoke to Mr. Giridhar, he assured me that everything will be okay once he is able to loosen the Yoke a little. However, the problem continued, as it is, though the Steering Wheel had become a little free and when I insisted that they attend to this problem, Mr. Giridhar informed me that the only way this problem could be rectified was by replacing the entire Steering Column which would cost me almost Rs.30000. I was not agreeable to this suggestion and insisted that the problem had arisen only because they had botched up the job when they replaced the Yoke. I was asked to bring the Car to the Service Centre a few more times and every time they came up with the same remedy.

I asked to speak to the Manager of the Service Centre and was informed that he is not available and will not be available for a couple of weeks and I was asked to speak to the person in charge, Mr. Venkatesh, who informed me that they would rectify the problem if I could leave the Car for a few more days. However, once again, when I went to take delivery of the Car, I was informed that the problem could be rectified only by replacing the entire Steering Column.

When I asked for information regarding the next higher person whom I could contact, I was given the Phone Number of Mr. Sandeep. When I contacted Mr. Sandeep, he said he will get back to me and when I contacted him once again, he assured me that the problem is being taken care of and that Mr. Venkatesh will be contacting me and fixing up an appointment immediately so that the problem is rectified. However, when nothing happened, I once again contacted Mr. Sandeep, who, once again, contacted his people and informed me that the delay was due to the Holidays in the last week of April and first week of May and that they will get back to me soon. Once again, after a long wait, when I contacted Mr. Sandeep on 10th May, I was able to get some response and Mr. Giridhar called me and fixed up an appointment saying they are getting a Technician to solve the problem. However, unfortunately, this time also, the result was the same and I was informed that the solution was in replacing the entire Steering Column.

Under the circumstances, I have no other alternative but to lodge a complaint with your Company that there has been clearly a case of Malpractice here and the personnel of M/s Trident Hyundai Service Centre, Sheshadripuram, Bangalore, are trying to penalise me, for their fault, after having botched up a simple repair work.

I request you to look into the matter immediately and instruct the concerned people to rectify the problem.

I am an active member of Team BHP and I chose your Car over several other Cars with the faith that I have in Hyundai as a Brand. I have been very happy with the car except for this unfortunate incident of a simple repair job being badly botched up by your Authorised Service Centre. As a matter of fact, I am a fan of the i20 to the extent that two of my colleagues have bought into the Hyundai family due to my feedback on the Car.

As on date, I have not shared this issue on the forum Team BHP and would prefer not to do so as I realise as this is a one-off incident and will be taken care of by Hyundai.

Please acknowledge receipt and inform me about the action being taken. I sincerely hope that immediate remedial action will be taken by you so that further steps will not be necessitated at my end. I anticipate your reply within the next week.

I reached out to skanchan95 to discuss if the well-publicized issues with the steering-rattle manifested in similar fashion to what I’m facing. He clarified that other than the noise, there was no other symptom.
That said, thanks for taking the time out to respond mate.

Which brings us neatly into the present..
As it stands, the steering assist kicks-in erratically and there is some noise accompanying it as well. And yes, I do understand that the vehicle was out of warranty; but does that mean an 8k run vehicle with absolutely no issues other than some noise whilst the steering was at full lock ends up with a steering column failure after the service?
I sincerely do not think that this was sheer coincidence, corroborated by the fact that Trident Hyundai called up and offered to bear 40% of the cost a month ago.

I’m hoping that this post is read by the good folks over at M/S Hyundai Motors India Pvt. Ltd and also you T-Bhpians, from whom I’m looking for advice on how I could go about getting my ’20 back to the way it was.

Cheers !

Sundar

Last edited by noopster : 19th August 2014 at 12:25. Reason: Thread merged. Refer mod note inline.
Old 22nd August 2014, 11:11   #297
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai i20 - Steering column issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
As it stands, the steering assist kicks-in erratically and there is some noise accompanying it as well.
Does it mean the steering becomes hard at times? If so, please be careful, I have had a bad experience with that issue : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2178493

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavericK46 View Post
And yes, I do understand that the vehicle was out of warranty; but does that mean an 8k run vehicle with absolutely no issues other than some noise whilst the steering was at full lock ends up with a steering column failure after the service?
I sincerely do not think that this was sheer coincidence, corroborated by the fact that Trident Hyundai called up and offered to bear 40% of the cost a month ago.
Suggest you speak to your lawyer about this. Bearing 40% of the cost? Isn't that itself an admission of guilt? The workshop cannot fool around with someone's car like this and this reminds me of the horrible service experiences I had with Hyundai's Junagadh workshop. I fully understand your pain and sympathize with you. Also send a letter(Registered AD)to Hyundai's South RO and their HQ in Chennai. Try speaking to the Area Service Manager as well. They have to respond, because if they don't and if you decide to go the legal way, they may have a tough time convincing the court why they did not respond.

Hope you've seen this i20 steering issues spreadsheet as well:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...en&output=html

Last edited by skanchan95 : 22nd August 2014 at 11:19. Reason: Correcting Spelling Mistake
Old 29th September 2014, 09:47   #298
Senior - BHPian

The car completed 5 years with us yesterday( had bought her home on 28/09/2009 - Dussehra).
Odometer reading stands at 52,041 kms (48,844 kms on the old speedometer & 3197 kms on the new speedometer). The dreaded Steering Rattle issue hasn't cropped back up again. All systems are working fine except for
1. Steering mounted controls refusing to work for the first one or two minutes after engine start
2. Left hand side RVM folding mirror motor jamming randomly while using the electric fold function, which leads it to getting stuck in semi-open position.

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn6722.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn6726.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn6744.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn6728.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn6737.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn6733.jpg
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dscn6731.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 29th September 2014 at 09:52.
Old 31st October 2014, 17:57   #299
Senior - BHPian

The car came back from its regular 6 months/10K Kms service today. Apart from regular servicing, other complaints were:
1. Brake noise while braking at or over 80 kmph - Rear brake liners changed
2. Front passenger side window inoperable from the driver's sdie window switch - The switch panel has to be replaced, which has to be ordered
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-win.jpg

Total service bill was Rs 5406. Got a discount of Rs 302 as part of Hyundai's Service Camp Campaign.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-bil.jpg

Service Experience, as always from Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore was superb. No complaints at all. The SA was the very knowledgeable and polite Mr Pradeep Kumar K - 10/10.
Old 5th November 2014, 12:12   #300
Senior - BHPian

Got the power window switch issue addressed today.
The entire power window switch assembly on the driver's side had to be changed. Individual switches in the assembly cannot be replaced.
The Part was ordered during the car's last service on 31st October and the part arrived yesterday.
Took ten minutes for the part replacement at Advaith Hyundai, Mangalore.
Checked power window illumination. It is red as in first gen i20s.

The Old Part:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-pwin.jpg

Bill:
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-bill.jpg

Last edited by skanchan95 : 5th November 2014 at 12:27.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks