Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2010, 11:36   #46
PSA

My I20 Started pulling to left side after wheel alignment done during second service. There was no issue before I gave it to servicing I don't know why they have done this alignment. If I take hands off the steering it changes lanes
Old 13th October 2010, 19:31   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSA View Post
My I20 Started pulling to left side after wheel alignment done during second service. There was no issue before I gave it to servicing I don't know why they have done this alignment. If I take hands off the steering it changes lanes
Suggest to take your car to a proper tyre shop and realign. Service center alignment is a joke. I have even seen guys using threads to align the wheels.
Old 13th October 2010, 22:52   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSA View Post
that can be due to tyre rotation. a simple right and left swap sorts it out most of the time.

my car is back from service, i sent the driver to pick up the car as i didnt wanna hear the lame stories of the service advisor. As usual the bill was 4K, i think they have lubricated or packed some grease to arrest the noice they have also changed the caliper pins and caliper noice is arrested as of now, the car feels close to silent, i can still hear the steering rattle but it is very very low, and i have a feeling it will be back soon, until then will enjoy a rattle free car. if there is anyone good at this then might give a try.

Last edited by fuhrer : 13th October 2010 at 22:54. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 15th October 2010, 18:15   #49
Senior - BHPian

The Nightmare continues, I write this with great anger and frustration.

Yesterday(October 14), we took the car to the dealership- Om Hyundai, Junagadh to get the rear glass replaced and get the supposed "dashboard"(steering) rattle fixed. In the 2nd service we had also pointed out a irritating rattle(buzzing sound) that seemed to be coming from the centrally mounted display(which at that time, one of the SA said he could not hear). This time they were supposed to "fix it".

I reached the dealership at 9 AM with my brother. Told that SA about the concerns in the car

1. Rear glass replacement
2. Dashboard rattle(steering)
3. Dashboard noise(buzzing sound from the central part of the dashboard)
4. Rear door panel rattle
5. Tail gate opener handle felt "hard" to open
6. Screeching noise from the brakes

We went to the waiting room and waited. By 12:00 PM, the glass was replaced and the car was for TD to fix the rattles(something which I was surprised). Took a TD with a technician, made sure that he heard the dashboard buzzing sound and the dashboard rattle(steering).In the front passenger seat, I felt as if the buzzing sound was coming straight in front of me. near the area where the A-pillar meets the body. The same noise, when hear from the driver's seat felt as it was coming from the area near the central display. He also said on his own that he could hear the brake screeching sound.

Came back again and sat in the waiting room. Then began a series of TDs by the SA & technician. They took the car in and out of the workshop several times to check and fix the rattle . At around 2 PM, he came back again and we took a TD, the dashboard rattle(steering) seemed to have gone but the buzzing sound from the dashboard was still there. I got the feeling that they had no clue where this buzzing sound was coming from.
At around 4 PM, the SA came in and said the buzzing sound has been fixed. Took a TD, the sound was not there. I asked what the problem was , he looked clueless when he said "it was from the glovebox" , it could also be from the CD player, that the lense was loose in the CD and it a common noise in one year old cars. I knew it was pathetic excuse but I let it go, as by that time I had decided not to ever come back to that god forsaken workshop again.

At that time, I was happy that all issues had been sorted out, but wasn’t sure. For the screeching noise from brakes, they replaced both the front brake pads( third time in the past one year). They had no answer as to why the pads are wearing out so quickly. The tailgate opener problem and rear door panel rattle was fixed. Then got into a little argument with SA . He said the roads in your town are bad, that’s why the steering rattle is there. Narrated him the Mahabharat of the problem being only on i10s and i20s, and the story of a gentleman from Vapi who recently video taped the SA admitting that the steering rattle is there in his i20( I have that video). He did this because all these SAs and WMs have a horrible habit of telling you something and then shamelessly denying it. The SA in Junagadh stood there speechless hearing this .Signed in the satisfaction note and left at around 6 PM.
Bought a couple of bottles of car freshener at a local car accessories shop and left Junagadh at around 6:30 PM. Barely 25 kms into the drive back home on the highway, the dashboard buzzing sound started again. I simply shook my head and said to hell with it, those jokers can never fix it. Steering rattle seemed to have gone but again, only time will tell.

This afternoon when I was cleaning up the interiors, to my horror, I found this. My heart just sank.
Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dsc06003.jpg

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dsc06004.jpg

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dsc06005.jpg

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dsc06006.jpg

Hyundai i20 1.2 Asta - A rattled up year of ownership- UPDATE: rack replaced-dsc06008.jpg

I swear if the works manager or any of the SAs were around, I would have punched them. The jokers in their bid to fix the buzzing sound from the dashboard, ended up waxing some adhesive all over the black central console. Believe me, it looks much more horrible if you actually see it. They even managed to damage the central passenger seat belt display. It looks as if there are cracks all over( but it actually is dried adhesive).Shot off an e-mail to the Works Manager, Area manager, the Regional Manager. The Works Manager calls up and asks “problem kya hai?”. The other two jokers in the RO did not have any answer. That useless Works Manager can’t make out from the pictures what is wrong. You have Class Xth fail fellow as the Works Manager, none of the technicians are fit enough to troubleshoot the problem competently. When they can’t fix an issue, they give you silly excuses!!!!! The Area Manager inspite of so many issues with the workshop still defends the workshop by saying that they are “competent “ enough.
I am yet to check whether there are any leakages in the rear glass which was fixed yesterday.

I have become sick of Hyundai, particularly the dealership. I have asked them who is going to pay to fix this messed up central console. No replies from any one yet about the latest goof up .

My advice to anyone who thinks of buying a Hyundai in a small town - Be careful. All these small town Hyundai workshops are useless. This experience has been nothing short of a nightmare.

I ask all of you, what if your car was damaged at the supposedly "competent" "authorised" workshop like this. Won’t you just lose it and start abusing the jokers at the workshop? Even road side garage mechanics would take more care while working on someone's car.

Whether those asses at the A.S.S did this on purpose to my car in an act of revenge, I would never know.

Below is a copy of the e-mail which I shot off to those jokers at Hyundai.

Quote:

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 3:05 PM
Subject: Re: Reg your i20 GJ11S8113/Sub Code S027565
To: John J Godwin , Autocar India
Cc: Nagesh GK, Swapna Chavan , Om Hyundai JND

You first have a look at the work that was done by your no good workshop!!! Look at what they have done to the central dashboard console. Even a trained monkey could better than them. There are adhesive marks all over the black plastic. It almost looks as if the plastic has melted off.

Have a look at the central passenger seat belt display. The jokers at the workshop ended up damaging the display also. I am not going to touch it. Those Class tenth failed jokers from the workshop, can they fix it?

You call this competent work???? Who the hell is going to pay for the damage???? The complaint for which they opened up the dashboard still remains. The mechanic was busy giving them all sorts of explanation for the rattle...from the CD player being loose to the glove box lock not locking properly.

You can easily wash your hands off by saying.. oh you should have checked at the workshop...all these things crop up only after you start cleaning the car and looking at things minutely.

What would you do if that "competent" workshop spoils your car like this???? Had this been you Elantra, wouldn't your blood boil?????? You know what? to hell with that pathetic little workshop at Junagadh. I want an answer from you. You think a competent workshop does work like this?

Yes, what does come under your ”preview” is to harass the customer to no ends and then finally call their problem a mental block. (John, the word is purview not preview). How many more mental blockages are you going to report? You call our problem one, then of one gentleman in Vapi, then in Pune....going by your standards, all customers who report problems with the vehicle have a mental block.

Why not go ahead and issue a letter stating that all customers who will report problems to the dealers, Area Managers and Regional Managers, will be labelled mental patients.

And because Mr Nagesh has turned his back on us completely, I request you John to co-ordinate with him and provide me his boss’s contact details. A man in his capacity should be capable of handling customers not and incapacitated by just one phone call.

YOU GUYS AT AUTOCAR, HAVE A LOOK AT THE "COMPETENT" WORK BEING DONE BY THESE AUTHORISED WORKSHOPS AND THEN THEIR AUDACITY TO SAY THE WORKSHOP HAS DONE THE RIGHT JOB

Last edited by skanchan95 : 15th October 2010 at 18:32. Reason: spelling mistake
skanchan95 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th October 2010, 19:18   #50
BHPian

oh god i really feel sorry for you. this is one reason i dont force the service advisor more than twice to fix any issue cause from my previous experiences they make it even more worse than what it was before. after reading your thread i dont think i'll dare to buy another hyundai ever in my life, infact i was almost convinced to sell mine, but somehow consoled myself and living with it.

P.S. when i inquired about fixing the dashboard rattling in my car the service advisor said it will cost me 3K and they will remove the entire dashboard and fix it up again, i felt 3K is a little expensive to fix this issue more than than i had no confidence in them that they will fix the issue, if not they might make it worse. so avoided it.

Last edited by fuhrer : 15th October 2010 at 19:24.
Old 15th October 2010, 19:32   #51
BHPian

^ Looking at this madness, its high time you approach consumer court and please escalate it to whichever highest position as possible in Hyundai India ASAP!

Did a small search on linkedin and this is what i could get:

Pratap Singh R - GM @ Hyundai Motor India Ltd (Gurgaon)
Naina W - Brand Manager @ Hyundai Motor India Ltd (Gurgaon)
Shakeel A - Senior Manager, Marketing Strategy at Hyundai Motor India Ltd
Virag V - Asst. General Manager at Hyundai Motor India Ltd
Old 16th October 2010, 09:17   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_asif View Post
^ Looking at this madness, its high time you approach consumer court and please escalate it to whichever highest position as possible in Hyundai India ASAP!
I already have. In fact, those people who came from Delhi said that they had copies of all the e-mails I sent to Hyundai. So it is not as if the top echelon of Hyundai are not aware of what is going on. They just don't have the drive to solve the issues because at the end of the day all that matters to Hyundai is the number of cars their dealerships sold all over the country. Once they get the money from a new customer, they are least bothered. The money they earn from servicing is probably peanuts when compared to the money they earn from servicing a car. Hence they are reluctant to take action against a 3rd grade dealership like Om Hyundai. They are selling cars, yes, only because they have a monopoly in this district. What about service standards?

The Area manager still calls Om Hyundai workshop "competent" as per Hyundai's standards!!!! The people in the RO already know that the Works Manager in Junagadh does not have the qualifications to hold that post, and yet they are not doing anything about it. Why? its a small town. Half the town is not educated enough about cars and believe blindly what the workshop says.

In fact I was talking to a guy who bought a new i10 couple of months back in Veraval. He said he had complained about poor fuel average in his i10. You know what answer those jokers at Om Hyundai gave him? Let be as it is. If we mess with the company settings, your car can get spoilt. What for is the service centre "Hyundai Authorised" then? Those jokers can't fix minor issues in the car. Servicing as per them is just oil & other fluids change. checking the engine and other systems is probably nuclear physics to them!!!!!

This morning while washing the car, I noticed three scratches on the tail gate and bumper. Two parallel ones either side of the tail gate opener and one deep scratch in the upper part of the bumper, again parallel to the scratches on the tail gate/ These scratches were probably made when they were changing the rear glass. Again. no proof of it. But I am sure it would have happened at the A.S.S, as these scratches were not there 4 days ago when i had washed the car.

I am yet to get a reply from the Area Manager & Regional Manager RO about what their "competent" dealership did to the dashboard of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuhrer View Post
P.S. when i inquired about fixing the dashboard rattling in my car the service advisor said it will cost me 3K and they will remove the entire dashboard and fix it up again, i felt 3K is a little expensive to fix this issue more than than i had no confidence in them that they will fix the issue, if not they might make it worse. so avoided it.
In my earlier Swift, the Maruti A.S.S were able to easily fix any rattle from anywhere. They never gave any excuses. These bloody Hyundai wallahs will give you silly excuses and scare you away when they are not able to locate and fix the rattle.

Last edited by skanchan95 : 16th October 2010 at 09:21. Reason: spelling mistake
Old 16th October 2010, 09:36   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, this just sucks. Take my advice- go to another dealer and get the issues fixed once and for all. Then clean the car up and sell it off. Never buy another Hyundai again. And make sure you follow up on the consumer court action and updates on TBHP.

I had a very pleasant experience with Hyundai when I was an Accent owner, both in Mumbai and Bangalore. Never once had a reason to complain. But it seems clear that they are not able to solve your problem. Which is OK- it happens sometimes. But the way you have been treated is unacceptable! Why waste more of your time and money on these jokers then?
Old 17th October 2010, 08:28   #54
Senior - BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Abusive language – whether used directly or indirectly - is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. A decent communication protocol must be adhered to. Foul language and use of abusive words/photographs in posts/avatars/signatures/topics is STRICTLY prohibited.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2010 at 10:43.
skanchan95 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 17th October 2010, 09:50   #55
BANNED

Terrible workmanship . escalate this matter to Hyundai H.O. I think they have used fevi-quick or something to fix the problem.

I recommend to file a complaint with the consumer court as Hyundai workshop is unable to solve the main problem. We have enough members here to support you.
Old 17th October 2010, 12:26   #56
BHPian

Dear skanchan95,

I came across this thread today.Sad to know about the troubles you face.I faced big problems with one of my previous cars.It was 10 times of what you have faced till now.The major problem I had was to convince the managers and service advisers that a particular problem existed during warranty period.Unless the sound or problem is too big they will not acknowledge it!To my surprise many times the various problems and rattles used to disappear when I reach the service centre.

Our Medicine professor used to say "Your eyes will not see what your mind dosen't know".This may be the case with service advisers,but I think the senior people like managers always try to ignore things.But tell them these problems after warranty they will be happy to repair or replace any part at your expense.

I think the main problem about Hyundai,TATA and FIAT is about the poor quality parts (?made at low cost) provided by the vendors.The lack of proper testing of these parts add to the problem.

When I bought ANHC in March,2009 it was out of my budjet.But still went for it since I couldn't afford to take any risk at that point of time.This was based on our good experience with a 6 year old NHC.

Please don't consider your car as a lemon.I think you cannot confront the dealer and get anything done.I think the dealer and the manufacturer will always work together in neglecting manufacturing defects.Nice time to sell your car and to buy a car from Maruthi (?new Swift),Honda (exchange I20 for Jazz +discounts or wait for the new Toyotas.In my place Honda Service has improved a lot,?Vento effect.

Nothing will last for ever,not even your bad times.

Last edited by Mevtec : 17th October 2010 at 12:29.
Old 17th October 2010, 19:29   #57
BHPian

@skanchan: When you mentioned that the steering rattle can be felt through the steering while, my mind went back to a very similar problem in my Palio when it was about 5 years old (now 8 years old). I could feel a rattle/looseness through the steering wheel and could hear a rattle as the car went through undulations at low speeds.

One of the service centers said that the rack has 'worn down' and needs to be replaced. However, another (competent, as later experience showed) service center manager asked the mechanics to lubricate the joint where the steering tie rod meets the steering rack (this is covered by a rubber gaiter in the Palio). The mechanic filled the joint with copious amounts of grease, and the problem has not appeared in the past three years.

While I am not suggesting that the problem in your car is the same as the one I faced, you may want to try this if the problem appears again.
Old 18th October 2010, 23:34   #58
BANNED

Dear skanchan95

Its a common problem with many service centers of hyundai.
I had a santro in which i faced the same problem of steering rattling
and the same explanation which was given to you that its coming from dashboard , was given to me (seems to me that HYUNDAI is training these workers for same lame excuses all across the country and not for servicing).
As i have received the exact same reply from 3 - 4 different hyundai service people in delhi and ghaziabad.So its not at all a problem of Hyundai dealership at your place i think its same every where.
Finally after few years of pain i decided to sell off my car and just bought a maruti .
Old 25th October 2010, 21:35   #59
BHPian

There are so many i20 threads I am not sure where to post my query. I will be grateful if anybody can chip in. Yesterday I took a test drive of i20 1.2l Asta. The engine sounded like a sports car, not muted as I had expected but a bit throaty. Is this normal? Maybe the test car was put on steroids ?
Old 26th October 2010, 08:25   #60
@ri
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
There are so many i20 threads I am not sure where to post my query. I will be grateful if anybody can chip in. Yesterday I took a test drive of i20 1.2l Asta. The engine sounded like a sports car, not muted as I had expected but a bit throaty. Is this normal? Maybe the test car was put on steroids ?
Huh! Now that's a surprise, as I can hardly hear the engine except maybe when I'm revving upwards of 3500 RPM !

Most Viewed