Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2011, 09:27   #31
BHPian

re: Maruti A- star Zxi - 2 Years ownership Report - Now Sold

Nice review. I have driven this car for about 2 yrs / 55000 kms now and it feels as if I had just purchased it. To be honest it is truly a drivers car, which should be strictly city driven.

You are absolutely right that the Boot, headroom and rear leg room is abysmal. However I would have a different opinion about FE. My A-Star easily gives 15-16 kmpl in city and 18-19 on highways.
Old 20th September 2011, 00:38   #32

FE in city happens to vary between 12 to 14.5 kmpl due to varying driving and road conditions, it is quite possible that ours is giving lower as I dont soft pedal. Being a 3 pot engine, you need to work on gear/acceleration slightly more to give you the much desired pep in the driving. And keeping the car standing with AC on takes a toll on mileage as AC tends to sap a lot of energy. But on high ways, this fellow returns an average of 18-19 kmpl with driving speeds at 80-100 kmph.

A* feels new and light even clocking kms / yrs, ours is 26k done but feels revving happy as ever.. must thank the MS guys to put the k10 motor on this... engine revving is smooth and pleasing to ears when driven between 50-70 kmph.

Recently test drove A* Auto Vxi, driving manners felt quite composed unlike my ever jumping A*, not sure whether it has to do with the higher weight due to gearbox and abs, or MS has worked on the suspensions... worth considering for an alternative from i10 with a sticker price of 1L less...
Old 19th February 2012, 12:12   #33
Senior - BHPian

Re: Maruti A- star Zxi - 2 Years ownership Report - Now Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozeninTime View Post
There is a strange humming noise coming from my Maruti A- star since yesterday.The noise increases with speed of the car and does not increase with increase in engine RPM.The noise is still present even if air conditioner is not working.The car has covered just 7500 odd kilometers in 21 months(approximately) driven in mostly good roads.
Could this be a wheel bearing or engine timing belt problem?Any idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Check the wheel bearing, had a similar issue in an old car i owned. Can you sense from which end of the car the sound is coming from?
7500Kms is not the time for the wheel bearning to go bad, but if the bearing seal failed it could.
Now its my turn

There is this humming noise in my AStar since a while and the noise increases on sweeping left handers. I had a doubt it was the wheel bearing and today i went to the MASS for diagnosis (love Sunday MASS its very uncrowded) and they confirmed the same - front left wheel's bearing is on its way out. They've placed the order for wheel bearings. The car has done only 12xxx kilometres till now.
Old 8th April 2012, 01:24   #34
BHPian

[quote=FrozeninTime;2386826]The sound is coming front end of the car.In January the left front axle of the car was replaced.

Also a thud sound comes when whenever first gear and second gear is engaged and accelerator pedal has to be pressed quite so that car gets going.[/QUOT

I also experience this jerky thud noise but while changing from first to second gear in my A- Star that has clocked 25,000 kms. Also minor rattling vibrations from the right hand side front wheel. But its minor, and the mech simply adjusted some pin within ten mins. The dangling bell noise has reduced considerably. Also I was foolish enough to drive with a punctured wheel wondering why it felt like floating and made crashing noises sometimes.

The problem I face is most of the time even when I engage the clutch completely it still makes a 'krr' noise in the reverse gear. Only if I do it very very slowly does it make the normal 'click' sound. And it just never slots into place or remains halfway. The third gear sometimes just gets stuck and is not smooth like the others and behaves weirdly unlike the smooth shifts of the remaining gears thus. Though this has been rare Does anyone face the same?
Thanks
Old 8th April 2012, 08:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciddharth View Post
The problem I face is most of the time even when I engage the clutch completely it still makes a 'krr' noise in the reverse gear. Only if I do it very very slowly does it make the normal 'click' sound. And it just never slots into place or remains halfway. The third gear sometimes just gets stuck and is not smooth like the others and behaves weirdly unlike the smooth shifts of the remaining gears thus. Though this has been rare Does anyone face the same?
Thanks
Yes this happens in my car too once in a while i am greeted by this Krr sound while engaging reverse. My cousin tells me that it happens with his Swift 1.2 too.
Old 8th April 2012, 14:37   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) I have noticed a few A-star in my city with driveshaft issue cropping up. The lack of greasing or proper lubrication will give out noise like an old door opening ( faintly near to this ) when the steering wheel turned sort of metal pieces moving and brushing but not kat kat ( I hope I am making myself clear on what type of sound I am referring to in case of metal brushing ).

Best way to check is that make half steering wheel turn or full turn, keep the steering wheel constant and then accelearate. If kat kat sound is still coming, then its drive shafts or something else, but I doubt if there are other mechanicals that take higher stress.

If the noise is coming from lack of grease, then the noise will come even when the car is stationary and steering is moved. And if the steering wheel is turned when car is stationary and then accelerated if still the sound comes its driveshaft.

However, this could also be mixed with suspension problem of bushes, lower arm and greasing if the above two are eliminated.
Got this sound after 80K service. Got it checked by the service center guys, they said the sound is coming from the ball joints on top of the front shock absorbers. The water wash could have send some dirt up there. The SA said not to worry. Anyways the sound has reduced in a couple of days, now its faintly audible.

Should i be worried?
Old 13th May 2012, 14:51   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Yes this happens in my car too once in a while i am greeted by this Krr sound while engaging reverse.
Am in the same league.

Sometimes the gear fails to engage in 1st and reverse gear.The solution being engage 2nd or 3rd gear and go back to 1st or reverse gear.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks