Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th November 2010, 22:17   #31
Team-BHP Support

From one Lancer to another, eh?
Interesting. Waiting for the rest of the writeup.
Old 14th November 2010, 14:17   #32
BHPian

The hunt begins, Again!

I was back is square one, in a worse situation than my previous crash. A quick calculation revealed that the I will lose heavily when I close the loan with the insurance settlement. Now the hunt starts again. I immediately contacted a sales guy at the dealership to check the availability of a Black GT. Met him at the office and he told me that waiting period is almost 3 months as the car is is high demand and they are not getting enough. The car price was increased from 64k to 72k. They had only one color, aqua metallic and I hated that color. I believed aqua metallic and golden beige to be the worst color to have on GT.

I also checked with him regarding the Outlander as I thought of upgrading. UAE market was not receiving enough Outlander as there was a huge demand in US for the same. There was not even one on display in the showroom. The 3.0l with the six speed was my choice and the cost was almost 100K with insurance. My friend suggested me Pajero instead saying that you will get a bigger 4x4 for the money.

In my mind, I still wanted the GT. My dad & mom did not know about the accident and I wanted them not to know it. The best solution was another black GT which was not available for next 3 months!

During those days I saw an ad from one of the biggest second hand car dealers. They had 0km 2007 model Toyota Aurion for sale with tag price of AED 72,000.
Name:  Aurion.bmp
Views: 8069
Size:  182.6 KB
Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT - The Tale of Two Lancers - Now at 222,555 kms-2007_toyota_aurion.jpg

The same evening we went to their showroom and saw a light blue metallic Aurion. The car was better equipped than the advt one and was well equipped, selling for AED 84,000. It had 6CD MP3 Changer with Six speakers, Cruise Control, HID headlamps with washers, fog lamps, parking sensors, key-less entry and push button start. It had a 3.5l engine coupled with a 6 speed auto and was one of most fuel efficient car for it's size. The interior was roomy and my wife was shocked to see the rear leg room. I started the car using the push button and I was in love. The whole family liked the car, so I paid advance immediately. I was all set to complete the procedures next day with the bank loan papers at their showroom itself.

Again, god had other plans!
Old 14th November 2010, 17:08   #33
BHPian

The Second Lancer

The next morning (the day after I booked the Aurion) I got a call from the Mitsubishi sales guy who happily says "Rethish! Get ready for your black GT". He had confirmed the black GT for me by twisting another sales guys arm who had reserved one for a potential customer. I was in a dilemma, GT or the bigger Aurion? As I was going for 100% loan, Aurion will hit me deeper in the pocket and GT budget was looking fine in the financial aspect. I checked about the Aurion with my contact within the industry and the feedback was not that great. I also considered the fact that someone had gone a great extend to make sure that I get a GT, so financial and emotional aspect made me conclude my decison.

So GT it is, Again!

Things went pretty fast from then, bank loan was applied and approved in a week. LPO was sent to the showroom and insurance was hand delivered to sales guy from RSA (thanks to their quick service). In between I saw another GT being transported on a recovery vehicle to the showrrom for delivery. It had the US Ralliart front bumper and tail lamps! It looked mean and more agressive!

I got a call next day afternoon that the car is ready and I can have it in the evening itself. Went home picked up some stuff and dropped the rental car. Took a bus to the showroom and the car was registered right in front of me at the showroom. Reached home late at night, did not tell my wife or daughter that I had the car with me. Next day was my weekly off and I told my wife that we will go to the temple in the morning. She was introduced to the car in a dramatic way. She noticed the car in the parking lot only when I unlocked it with remote key. She was shocked but later told me that she knew in her mind from yesterday night that I had the car already as she could feel that from my happy face. We had the customary pooja at the temple and returned home after that. I was a happy man again! I completed my 1000 kms in one week with the daily 200 kms run and took the car for service by the weekend.

We had a overnight company team building the same weekend and I drove to Fujairah, the first long trip unleashing the beast on Emirates Road and the winding roads to Khorfakkan.

@ JAL Fujeirah Resort - GT with the proud driver!
Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT - The Tale of Two Lancers - Now at 222,555 kms-when-new.jpg

The week after I got V-kool installed on the windows next weekend, the only accessory required on the GT.

2 years & one month later, with 92,000+ kms already clocked in the ODO of the second GT, the car still haven't lost it's charm. I still love to drive it everyday and have a drag at times on the U.A.E roads when bullied by unsuspecting wannabe racers driving corollas, civics and Tiidas (only within the speed limits). Some of them still thinks that Lancer comes with 1.3l and 1.6l engines. They don't know that they are messing with a car which is powered by 155 bhp 2.0l engine coupled with a paddle shift enabled CVT.

Regularly serviced at the dealer without any additional expenses incurred other than for the brake pads + brake disc polishing @ 65,000 kms and an A/C filter at 70,000 kms. Still gives me 500+ kms on a full tank of 98 octane fuel with my spirited style of driving. I am happy with the car and intend to keep it for a long time , even if I upgrade to a better car after some time. I will then upgrade GT with some nice performance mods making it my weekend car.

The aggressive face of GT at night - @ Jebel Hafeet mountain
Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT - The Tale of Two Lancers - Now at 222,555 kms-night.jpg

Thank you all for following the thread. I know this is not the end. I will update more whenever possible.

I really wish that this model gets launched in India soon with all the equipment they provide in the GCC region.
Old 19th November 2010, 17:50   #34
Senior - BHPian

Good post, Rethish!

Looks like right things happened at the right time for you for the second GT.
Old 21st November 2010, 18:53   #35
BHPian

Thanks HappyWheels!

By god's grace everything went smooth with the delivery of the 2nd GT. With in one month from the accident I had the new car with me. The waiting period was minimum 3 months at that time.
Old 21st November 2010, 22:17   #36
Senior - BHPian

Rethish,

We need to catch up once you are back in town.

Couldn't call you over the weekend - was totally drained! :(

Give me a call once you are back.
Old 16th December 2010, 12:20   #37
Senior - BHPian

re: Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT - The Tale of Two Lancers - Now at 222,555 kms

wicked - 2 accidents in a relatively short duration and still going strong! Thats the spirit.
The GT(s) look(s) mean!
And with gas cheaper than water - you can never go wrong, only blazing fast on arabian highways!
Drive safe.
Old 16th December 2010, 14:08   #38
BHPian

Thanks Sid!

I am seriously trying to control my urge to drive fast, especially with the GT. Have to practice slow driving now. :P
Old 4th January 2011, 17:30   #39
BHPian

Towards 100K

Quick Update - GT is already 978K, soon will touch the 100K figure.

Slight vibration while braking rectified by facing the front disks, pads good for another 40K. Need to book the 100K service for end of JAN 2011.
Old 23rd January 2011, 14:02   #40
BHPian

The GT touched the 100K mark today and is scheduled for the service tomorrow.

Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT - The Tale of Two Lancers - Now at 222,555 kms-100k.jpg

2 Years and 4 months and to reach 100K.

Practicing 100-120 kmph driving these days, dropped the 140 kmph fast lane routine on Emirates road. Now I have a relaxed drive all the way to office and back home. Fuel consumption drastically reduced due to that. Earlier used to fill-up after two days of office run and after the change of driving style, the last visit to the gas station was after 5 days!

No tailgating, no road rage and better fuel economy. I am now experimenting on better average. Could manage 7.7l/100km average (not instant) on the MID few days back.

@Mods: Please update the title with "Now 100K+".
Old 23rd January 2011, 15:24   #41
Senior - BHPian

Good change, Jag!

Tried dropping down to the second lane today morning, but it got to be too much of a challenge!

The best I am getting, after 1st service, is 16l/100kms! Was sitting at 11.8l/100kms before the service.
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:59   #42
Senior - BHPian

Wow. GodSpeed and Drive Safe

When i read the first post i thought u crashed the Lancer. Then when i went to the second page, for a moment i thought i was reading a wrong post or something

What are you on, a frequent crasher program or something???

Please drive safe and enjoy your new ride, for what it is. It has been crash tested enough, before they have produced the car. So dont worry ;-) And enjoy driving it.

One more crash, and you will be nominated for the maximum number of infractions on teambhp
Old 26th January 2011, 13:49   #43
BHPian

@Happywheels: Second lane is the worst place to be. Try the third or fourth lane. Most of the morons think that second lane is the slowest lane in the available 6 track on Emirates road or Sheikh Zayed road. It is very dangerous to drive slow on the second lane as huge line of vehicles accumulate behind the slow car and most of the people start overtaking from the wrong side. I wonder when Dubai Police will realize that these things are important and take some initiative to create awareness in the drivers.

Regarding your fuel consumption, you should be around 11/12 by now as the average might have settled. You should not be complaining regarding the fuel consumption with all those desert drives planned in the 3.8l beast.
Post some pics soon.

@thedreamcatcher: I was on a frequent crash program with two total loss with in one year. I was on the UAE Insurance company's watch-list for some time.

Jokes apart, all my friends + relatives had the same thing to say and I am truly enjoying the drive in a better and safer way now. Touch wood, no major incidents in the last 2 years of ownership.

As I mentioned earlier, I am now on a quest for maximum fuel efficiency for my GT. I am driving at an optimum speed (100 - 110 kmph on highways) to extract the best out of the fuel I am burning.

100K service update
: The final bill was heavier on my pocket as crankshaft seal, idler pulleys and belt were changed as per service schedule. Escaped a major expense (close to 1.5k AED) as my friend could push the dampener pulley cost to warranty. The rubber portion of the dampener pulley had developed a crack and they could find it during the routine inspection. It seems they had similar cases reported from few vehicles from my GT's batch. Car is feeling extra smooth after the service and was asking to pushed. I controlled the urge and kept the revs below 2.5k to be on track with the FC experiment.

Total hit to the wallet was 1757 AED. Not bad considering the fact that it was a 100k service and so many parts were changed. Planning for an injector cleaning session in the coming week to get rid of any "Dubai fuel residues".
Old 26th January 2011, 14:05   #44
Senior - BHPian

^^ True; second lane has people who are 20-30kmph below the limit. One reason I end up going back to the fast lane and onto the upper speed limit.

The mileage is now sitting at 6.8 - 7.3 kmpl (changed the units on the MID) as of now. Happy as hell. And yeah, should not be complaining having a 3.8l beast.
Old 4th April 2011, 16:14   #45
BHPian

New DRLs Installed

Thought of upgrading the looks of my GT, especially the night look as I am having night runs on Emirates road. Don't get me wrong, I have a late timing so returns only by 7 from office . To increase the aggressive looks of GT, I added a pair of Philips DRLs. Here is a pic from my phone cam.
Mitsubishi Lancer EX GT - The Tale of Two Lancers - Now at 222,555 kms-imag0027.jpg

The DRLs are connected to the park lights and will switch of when the fog lamps are switched on.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks