Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st March 2011, 11:53   #61

Re: Ownership report : Chevrolet Optra Magnum LT 2.0 TCDI

@drive_or_die (and @Torquedo) Thanks a million for all the data and information in this (and links to other) T-BHP threads !

I was in the market for a diesel sedan and it helped me zero in on the Chevy Optra. The other alternatives were Mitsubishi Cedia and VW Vento - The Optra won hands down across the areas that were critical to me - looks, interior space, build quality, power and maintenance cost (I'm upgrading from a Hyundai Accent Viva 1.6)

I booked mine on the 12th of March (LT, Linen Beige) with Kropex Chevrolet after checking out Sundaram Motors as well as Trident Chevy (all in Bangalore). It was supposed to arrive last week, but it hasn't - looks like escalating to GM is the only option since the dealer couldn't care less about requests to provide a (new) firm delivery date :-(

Could you share the email-id for GM that you used for escalation ? I couldn't find anything on their site specifically for complaints.
Old 31st March 2011, 12:44   #62
BANNED

Hey RAV1 -

First up thanks a ton! for the acknowledgment, thank you.

Next, Many a congratulations for booking the real BEAST (314 Nm of torque), no offenses here but there are talks doing rounds here calling the Vento the Torque King, but I dispute.

Optra is the Torque King.

I found the interiors and driving position of the Optra far better than the Vento.

Here is the e-mail that I used for my correspondence : gmi.cac@gm.com

Wishing you many a Happy Miles with Maggy.

Lastly, will be eagerly awaiting the Ownership Experience and Pics !!

Congratulations once again.

The delivery problem can be attributed to the strike going on at the HALOL plant for GM cars.

PS: Welcome to T-BHP.

Last edited by Torquedo : 31st March 2011 at 12:48. Reason: adding more data
Old 31st March 2011, 12:53   #63
BHPian

Congrats on your booking. This thread has really been helpful with contributions by @Drive and Die and @Torquedo.

Wish you happy driving.

Looking forward to initial experience and pics of the car.

Last edited by Highflyer : 31st March 2011 at 13:07. Reason: Didn't mention the name of member.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:16   #64
BHPian

@Dockap thanks for the pics. Sparkling Diamond looks very nice. Is it true that Chevrolet charges 10 grands extra for one extra coat that they do for this colour? Or is it something else?
Old 31st March 2011, 13:49   #65

Thanks for the e-mail ID Torquedo, Just sent them an email and got an immediate response which was a pleasant surprise ! Hope to start taming the beast soon :-)

Thanks for the wishes Highflyer ! Will be posting a write-up on the car soon (dealer and $diety permitting of course)

Vento has a higher torque number, but from the TD, it felt like that is "lost in trans [lation|mission]" ;-) - no offense meant to the Vento, but in my (personal) opinion, the Optra is a better drive. Also, the one of the main factors for me to choose the Optra over the Vento was the space & driving position.

I did consider the Cruze though (felt like a choice between gharwali baharwali in the showroom - looking at the Optra and trying really hard not to look at the luscious Cruze right next to it ;-) mind won over heart in this case - no regrets at all, the money saved will be put towards a 'good cause' (Thar !) after a 'reasonable' period of time has elapsed. More on that topic in a later post/thread.
Old 31st March 2011, 13:50   #66
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
@Dockap thanks for the pics. Sparkling Diamond looks very nice. Is it true that Chevrolet charges 10 grands extra for one extra coat that they do for this colour? Or is it something else?
@Dockap should be best person to answer this, but AFAIK -

They do charge some Rs 9xxx for this color and it is a 3 coat paint not 1 coat.

Happy Motoring !!
Old 31st March 2011, 14:06   #67
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAV1 View Post
Thanks for the e-mail ID Torquedo, Just sent them an email and got an immediate response which was a pleasant surprise ! Hope to start taming the beast soon :-)

Thanks for the wishes Highflyer ! Will be posting a write-up on the car soon (dealer and $diety permitting of course)

Vento has a higher torque number, but from the TD, it felt like that is "lost in trans [lation|mission]" ;-) - no offense meant to the Vento, but in my (personal) opinion, the Optra is a better drive. Also, the one of the main factors for me to choose the Optra over the Vento was the space & driving position.

I did consider the Cruze though (felt like a choice between gharwali baharwali in the showroom - looking at the Optra and trying really hard not to look at the luscious Cruze right next to it ;-) mind won over heart in this case - no regrets at all, the money saved will be put towards a 'good cause' (Thar !) after a 'reasonable' period of time has elapsed. More on that topic in a later post/thread.
@RAV1 -

Let me correct you there, Vento is nowhere close to torque figures of the Optra, the numbers:

Optra - 314 Nm @ 2125 RPM
Vento - 250 Nm @ 1500 RPM

No offenses here to the Vento owners but the only reason that the Vento might feel faster is, the turbo kicks in early @ 1500, while @ 1500 the Optra is slumber if not in hibernation and man when it wakes up, all HELL brakes (not breaks ) loose.

ACI documents the 40-100 4th Gear for Vento @ 10.5x and the Optra @ 14.9 Sec, this might be attributed to:

1) Weight - Optra @ 1370 and Vento @ 1190 (TL), mind you Optra build quality is Top - 2 notch.
2) Again the turbo kicking in early.

Those 65 Nm of extra torque takes the Optra in a different league. there are only a handful of cars in the Indian market with 300+ Nm of torque.

There are talks of the ANHV with 260 Nm or torque, but I can safely assume that Optra any given day and rip the ANHV apart.

To put it into perspective the Mercedes C Class has just 80 odd Nm of extra torque than the Optra.

For VFM Diesel if you love driving and not being driven Optra is the best bet.

Happy Motoring.
Old 31st March 2011, 15:40   #68

@Torquedo thanks for the correction, I had assumed Vento has higher Torque, by bad. makes me feel even better about my choice :-)

"if you love driving and not being driven Optra is the best bet."

well said !
Old 31st March 2011, 15:59   #69
BHPian

quick question here gents.. if u were to go for a second hand car. whats better the elantra or the magnum

thanks in advance
Old 31st March 2011, 16:23   #70
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
quick question here gents.. if u were to go for a second hand car. whats better the elantra or the magnum

thanks in advance
I would be skeptical about both, reasons:

Elantra - Has been shelfed for sometime now, spares and all an issue.

Optra - Don't know how the owner would have abused this BEAST. The maintenance cost might be on the higher side.

Better and safer option for a 2nd hand Diesel performance sedan - Verna CRDi.

Happy Motoring !!

Last edited by Torquedo : 31st March 2011 at 16:24. Reason: typo
Old 31st March 2011, 17:01   #71

@Snowman79 You may want to check out the Skoda Octavia too in terms of a second hand diesel sedan - there are many more of that model in the second hand market as compared to Optra and Elantra.
Old 31st March 2011, 19:17   #72
BHPian

The sparkling dimmond is a 3 coat colour and costs Rs 10,000/- more than the other colours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
Old 1st April 2011, 10:51   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
thanks in advance
Cheap to buy n maintain - Elantra, Magnum
Braking n Handling - Elantra, Magnum
Power - Magnum, Elantra
Interiors - Magnum, Elantra

In that order.
Old 3rd April 2011, 14:50   #74
BHPian

This thread has helped many to take a decision about Optra.

@Poitive also wants to buy a sedan has started a thread here
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...ntinued-2.html

Since thats may plan also,looking forward to some good discussion and advice on the new thread.
Old 4th April 2011, 00:00   #75
BHPian

@All- Sorry, I was away for sometime...so could not contribute much on this thread

@Ravi- Hope, the issue with Date of Delivery is resolved. I had similar issue & had taken up issue with GN India's VP Sales & Mktg. I can share contact details of high profile officials of GM India.

Also, pls check with Mr. Prasanna of Kropex Chevy. In fact , you can use my name (Sorabh Bajaj). Alternatively, pls PM your email id & I will write to Prasanna.

@Highflyer- Congrats & Welcome to the family.

It may be interesting to know that we have a group of 4 in Blr with Chevy Optra SD Grey LT and we meet up/call to discuss about Maggy(ies)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks