Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd May 2011, 22:31   #76
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: My new preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok - 6 months up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace F355 View Post

Guess you didn't see the quote I wrote to you about 'Silver alloys + Yellow calipers' in my thread! Never the less, red looks pretty nice. The price you paid seems quite reasonable too!
Of course I remember. I initially had thought of yellow, but on deeper thought felt red is better as it matches with red afterburner tail lamps. Yellow would have been a loner. Your logic behind color schemes helped me a lot.

Quote:
One question - After coming off, isn't the extra paint from the disks going to stuck inside the brake pads?
The paints would scrape off, I dont think they will remain stuck. Anyways, after 100 Kms of driving, I dont see any difference in stopping action.
Old 4th May 2011, 02:12   #77
Senior - BHPian

and so today was my lucky day.
Got to see Scorponok in the flesh no wait metal, and boy does she look gorgeous. The paint match is also spot on.
Now coming to the red paint. Normally we just get the calipers done, but here the whole disc was done. now after @dot drove for a while the paint was scraped off by the brake pad. leaving an awesome highlight of red around the disc. one ring on the outer side of the disc and one on the inside. Now these two Corona rings along with the red calipers have given a stunning effect. Would request @dot to post another closeup pic highlighting the same.
OK ~ Stepping inside.
The door panels that house the power window switches were painted too. though @dot found them coarse, they are not too bad. and i feel if left as is it will be alright.
To sum it up the results are STUNNING!
I got to drive Scorponok today too, i guess it's my lucky day. and just wanted to give all a heads up that a surprise is on it's way.
Stay tuned.
Old 4th May 2011, 11:53   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Your car was in my mind all the time. Maybe due the same color!.
Great... thank you very much ;-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
Coming to Dakshin Honda's paint job; the shade difference between the bumber and trunk lid/rear fender is perceptable from the picture. It is not a surprise that they were expensive, but one would have expected professional execution.
Absolute morons they are. what a pathetic colour matching... it was so evident only after 10 days or so.

So frustrated with Dakshin... I just don't want to be even associated with them... Heck even removed the sticker they had put on my car (Notice the 3rd pic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
@dot, those red calipers look great ! Gives me ideas !
Please get it done. On a White Civic those German red brake calipers would look awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
At a local car detailing shop here I was told that bumpers are a tricky job because they're not metal.
Nopes it's not that of difficult.. It's more easy on the bumpers than the metal finishes. Only thing to remember is not to give too much of pressure while sanding with grit/sanding papers.

Even my front bumper had too much of dog bite marks.

Quote:
@ sushrutha: your Civic looks superb!
Thanks ACE.... By the way your Civic looks too hot to handle ...

Not to Hijack dots ownership thread.
Friends I need suggestion/opinion on CFL/Neon lights being used as Angel eyes on my Civic.
How does the below modification look on my Bluish Silver car ?
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-civic.jpg
Name:  CCFLcivic2006b.gif
Views: 11784
Size:  204.8 KB
I'm planning to get the same work done .. Or if budget permits I'll think of Projectors with Angel eyes.

Has anyone got their Civic modified with these lights ?

Last edited by sushrutha : 4th May 2011 at 11:54.
Old 4th May 2011, 12:12   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushrutha View Post
Thanks ACE.... By the way your Civic looks too hot to handle ...
Thank you! At times, she has the same effect on me too! haha.

Quote:
I have seen these lights on a few cars in Delhi. Some of them looked nice and rightly bright, while others looked not that nice, being overly bright and with some weirdo colors! Guess it depends on the quality of CCFL rings you are gonna use! They are cost effective, good VFM and add a little oomph to the car!

How much are you getting them for?
Old 4th May 2011, 12:22   #80
Senior - BHPian

@ACE
Thanks for the honest opinion.
Do you have any pics of the same ?

The price roughly quoted is around 3K- 4K Rs including the installation.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:03   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Of course I remember. I initially had thought of yellow, but on deeper thought felt red is better as it matches with red afterburner tail lamps. Yellow would have been a loner. Your logic behind color schemes helped me a lot.
Good to hear that!

Quote:
The paints would scrape off, I dont think they will remain stuck. Anyways, after 100 Kms of driving, I dont see any difference in stopping action.
Nice.

Quote:
@ACE
Thanks for the honest opinion.
Do you have any pics of the same ?

Sorry sushrutha, no pics of the same! Price seems okay, given the rings are of good quality! Ever thought of any other color than white? BMW styled cool yellow halogen corona rings, perhaps! (pic attached) Will look good on stock yellow parking lights of your Civic!
Attached Thumbnails
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-daylight.jpg  

Old 4th May 2011, 13:14   #82
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
How does the below modification look on my Bluish Silver car ?
Quote:
Oh man, do they look hot or what. Havent seen one on road, but too good. Angel eyes cost about 15-16k, for 3-4K these are a steal. I wonder where in Pune these would be available.

Quote:
BMW styled cool yellow halogen corona rings, perhaps! (pic attached) Will look good on stock yellow parking lights of your Civic!
Agreed, light yellow will look good on Bluish Silver.

Somehow I like this headlight enhancement better than angel eyes. Aftermarket angel eyes have black plastic casing, which spoils the show up in front, IMHO. The only way to make angel eyes look good is to smoke the headlamp assembly.
Old 4th May 2011, 13:17   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ever thought of any other color than white? BMW styled cool yellow halogen corona rings, perhaps! (pic attached) Will look good on stock yellow parking lights of your Civic!
Absolutely. I was thinking of the same (above mentioned) colour. If not then it will be the same colour(white) which I have mentioned (pics) in my posts.
I think the quality is good.(Saw the pics) But I'm yet to check it out personally.

Quote:
Oh man, do they look hot or what. Havent seen one on road, but too good. Angel eyes cost about 15-16k, for 3-4K these are a steal.
Thanks.
I agree on the Angel eyes with projectors pricing, it's around 15K for a pair of Morimoto Projectors (with High n low) & around 20K for the FX Projectors.

Quote:
Agreed, light yellow will look good on Bluish Silver.

Somehow I like this headlight enhancement better than angel eyes. Aftermarket angel eyes have black plastic casing, which spoils the show up in front, IMHO. The only way to make angel eyes look good is to smoke the headlamp assembly.
Frankly speaking I'm not a fan of smoked headlights. It will definetely not look good on a bluish silver car. It looks good on a Black coloured car.
Heck I'm neither a fan of Dark sunfilms. Except the Black Santro.. None of our family cars have Dark tints.

Last edited by sushrutha : 4th May 2011 at 13:28. Reason: Added @dots quote
Old 4th May 2011, 13:58   #84
Senior - BHPian

Those headlight enhancements look rad.
@dot we must scout around Pune for a pair.
and at 3-4K it is an absolute steal.
Let's plan, do you think Poona motors might have some?
Old 4th May 2011, 14:06   #85
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Angel eyes cost about 15-16k, for 3-4K these are a steal.
dot, actually these CFL rings are angel eyes! And they always cost pretty much in the same price bracket, 3-4K! The 15-16K setup includes projectors and HIDs etc in addition to angel eyes.

As a fact of the matter, red angel/devil eyes in my headlamps were bought for 4K!

Quote:
Somehow I like this headlight enhancement better than angel eyes. Aftermarket angel eyes have black plastic casing, which spoils the show up in front, IMHO.
The black plastic casing can be replaced by a good looking shroud! e.g. I have used the Gatling Gun shroud in my headlamps.
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-gatlinggunshroud1s.jpg

Here is how Gatling gun shroud with white angel eyes look.
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-shroud1.jpg
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-ccfl4y.jpg

Now compare that to my red angel eyes in the same shroud!
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-111.jpg
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-222.jpg

There are other options such as Apollo, E46-R or many many more! Now a days, even Gatling Gun V 2.0 is available too!
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-gattlinggunv205s.jpg

Quote:
Absolutely. I was thinking of the same (above mentioned) colour. If not then it will be the same colour(white) which I have mentioned (pics) in my posts.
I think the quality is good.(Saw the pics) But I'm yet to check it out personally.
Good to hear that you are considering this color option too!

Quote:
I agree on the Angel eyes with projectors pricing, it's around 15K for a pair of Morimoto Projectors (with High n low) & around 20K for the FX Projectors.
Correct!

Quote:
The only way to make angel eyes look good is to smoke the headlamp assembly.
Quote:
Frankly speaking I'm not a fan of smoked headlights. It will definetely not look good on a bluish silver car. It looks good on a Black coloured car.
Projectors look equally good on chrome headlights too! Check these out, projector headlamps with Gatling Gun shroud with plenty of chrome!

My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-img_6575.jpg
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-img_6579.jpg

Last edited by Ace F355 : 4th May 2011 at 14:12.
Ace F355 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th May 2011, 14:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

Abhijeet, awesome name for the car. Yes my body was creaking for all the right reasons and now I back in the rat race.

@ Sushratha: You car is stunning, very clean and the painter has done a fab job.
I am also looking at getting my rear bumper painted as there is a 6" long scratch on it.
Can you post your car's profile images? Want to see the yellow calipers...

Regards
Old 4th May 2011, 16:18   #87
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
I have already check this with R1!! They have no idea :(
Planning to take a print out of the pics that @sushrutha has posted and give them to scout around.
@sushrutha, hope it is ok with you.

Quote:
dot, actually these CFL rings are angel eyes!

The black plastic casing can be replaced by a good looking shroud! e.g. I have used the Gatling Gun shroud in my headlamps.
Thanks, had no idea of the shroud and origin of angel eyes. You have done lots of research on this. However if you check the last two photos, the base of the head lamp unit is a dark plastic. Can that be changed to a reflecing type? That black piece is another personal gripe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
Abhijeet, awesome name for the car. Yes my body was creaking for all the right reasons and now I back in the rat race.
Thanks. Will send a sms to you soon.

Last edited by dot : 4th May 2011 at 16:21.
Old 4th May 2011, 16:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks, had no idea of the shroud and origin of angel eyes. You have done lots of research on this.
I wanted to understand the fundamentals before shelling out a significant chunk of my money on headlights; just to ensure I get the quality in the end result!

The throw of the headlamps speak of itself! Many BHPians have appreciated the light throw and the sheer quality of the headlamps! Those regular 15-20K projector lights don't seem to really work during dark hours and thats the main grouse of getting them!

Quote:
the base of the head lamp unit is a dark plastic. Can that be changed to a reflecting type? That black piece is another personal gripe.
That headlamp assembly is completely stock except for the projectors and the car in question is a Honda Odyssey!
Old 5th May 2011, 11:11   #89
dot
Senior - BHPian

It finally happened today. Scorponok bottomed out for the first time after 6 months and 4k kms of ownership. It was my fault really. There was a "big dig" right on Golf Course circle towards IBM building. The earthen mound was over a feet and half in height and two feet in length. As the front wheel went over the mound, we heard a "thud". Wifey asked "whats wrong". I just smiled.

Later checked the bottom with a flash light (parking lot is dark). No visible signs of any kind of damage.

Maybe other Civic owners are laughing after reading this post. Well, me too.

Quote:
Now these two Corona rings along with the red calipers have given a stunning effect. Would request @dot to post another closeup pic highlighting the same.
Thanks. Will post soon.

Quote:
Quote:
I have seen these lights on a few cars in Delhi. ! They are cost effective, good VFM and add a little oomph to the car!
Do you guys know if the headlamp assembly has to be opened to fix these CFLs?
Old 5th May 2011, 11:48   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Those headlight enhancements look rad.
and at 3-4K it is an absolute steal.
Let's plan, do you think Poona motors might have some?
Yep they do look amazing.
Quote:
I have already check this with R1!! They have no idea :(
Planning to take a print out of the pics that @sushrutha has posted and give them to scout around.
@sushrutha, hope it is ok with you.
Sure you can use them.
Please check the below link from where I got the 2nd pic .
CCFL OR NEON LIGHT -
They are quoting 1450 THB, so that's roughly 2150 INR.
They are just the CFL rings actually speaking they would hardly cost 400-500Rs to manufacture, lets forget this manufacturing cost thing as of now

Yesterday evening I tried in 3 shops @ Bangalore for the same, but no luck.
Seems like I have to get them from the above mentioned website itself.
I have never brought anything from abroad through courier, so no idea of the process n courier cost either.

An here is the ice breaker and word of caution who are planning to get this installed.
When installing these CFL rings one has to open the headlight assembly, then install the CFL rings(hardly 2 mins task) and put back those headlight casing back. But the real problem would be if the casing is not glued proper. If there is a minute gap while refixing or gluing , after sometime moisture & dust would get trapped in the headlight assembly creating the head lamp look ugly and reduce the effectivenss of headlights.
So one has to be very very careful while gluing back the head light casing.

My OHC headlamp assembly used to have moisture accumulated whenever I used to wash my car or whenever there was rain.
I took the HL assembly to Shivajinagar Gujri, the guy over there opened the assembly by heating the HL casing through heating gun, removed the moisture trapped inside , cleaned, polished the reflectors and he put the HL casing back by applying the industrial gum and held the HL assmbly by applying pressure(kept the HL between 2 heavy objects side by side) for around 30 mins so that the gum held properly.
It's been almost 3.5yrs since I got this work done, till date not even once moisture/dust entered the HL assembly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot
Thanks, had no idea of the shroud and origin of angel eyes. You have done lots of research on this. .
Some of the Projectors and shrouds
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-shrouds.jpg
My preworshipped Honda Civic - Scorponok. Now with Vtec indicator-fxr-bi-xenons.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiren.mistry View Post
@ Sushratha: You car is stunning, very clean and the painter has done a fab job.
Can you post your car's profile images? Want to see the yellow calipers...
Thanks Hiren.
I shall upload them in sometime.
sushrutha is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks