Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:23   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by verditer View Post
1. When accelerating, sometimes the vehicle jerks slightly in blips as though its losing power momentarily (like a motorbike with choked carburettor will), but these are in fraction of second duration and immediately the car regains its momentum and moves ahead.. This continues to happen intermittently, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear and especially so when I'm very light footed on the pedal.
Checked with the dealer's helpline and they told me to push the pedal to max once or twice to clean up the exhaust system. I tried that and the rpm went up to 3K and I didn't want to push it further. And it hasn't helped...
My guess is it would go away after first service, but wanted to know if there is anything I can do to help it.
I filled regular Bharat petroleum diesel after taking delivery.
Hi verditer, even I have this problem in my Safari. I think few more would be observing the same. I also tried to clean to exhaust by revving 4K RPM but it is of little help. May be we can pressurize the dealer and get the car checked with Tata Motors Engineer for this problem. I have already reported this problem in my thread and technical problem thread.

I think lets write to Tata Motors directly to their customer care email id.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Sent an email to Tata Motors Customer care for examining our car by competent Tata Motors Engineer. I requested them to send engineer to KHT Motors. If finalize please bring your car also to KHT Motors service station for examination along with my car. I think few more will join. If they will not respond properly, I will use my Tata Motors contact to get it done.
Old 22nd November 2010, 11:49   #18
BHPian

Some pictures from delivery day. I'm the fellow in blue jeans.
Attached Thumbnails
A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-s1.jpg  

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-s2.jpg  

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-s3.jpg  

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-s4.jpg  

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-s5.jpg  

verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 12:01   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Sent an email to Tata Motors Customer care for examining our car by competent Tata Motors Engineer. I requested them to send engineer to KHT Motors. If finalize please bring your car also to KHT Motors service station for examination along with my car. I think few more will join. If they will not respond properly, I will use my Tata Motors contact to get it done.
Yes Anuj, do remember reading about this issue in your thread also, but I was thinking it happens occasionally for you and I thought it is happening all too frequently for me; I haven't given it much thought, but yes we do need a fix for this. The acceleration has to be smooth always.

Good that you're taking it up with TATA, please keep me posted. Good you have someone in Tata to escalate also.
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:16   #20
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, that's a luscious black on that brute of a beauty!

Whatever people may say about its maintenance, black really is the best on these big vehicles!

Why don't you drive her down to 'kumari and get your new child home in its mechanical sibling?

Regards,
spadix
Old 22nd November 2010, 13:49   #21
BANNED

Quote:
Couple of questions to Safari owners now:

3. Bangaloreans - anyone can please suggest a good place to go order for good number plates in the whitefield/marthahalli area? I'm not keen on the high security number plates from Utsav online and would prefer a local buy. And would like to avoid a trip to JC road if I could.
To begin with, congrats. Secondly, I m not a Safari owner but can give you a few inputs. I would strongly recommend you go to JC Road for the number plates because you will have multiple options and choices in terms of price, quality and the counter. I know a person since long at JC Road who makes numberplates. PM me if you need his details.
I charge 2% commission for any deal that goes through me.
Quote:
4. The seats and interiors are light cream colored, and can get dirty easily if not careful - how you guys deal with that? I'm not keen on seat covers since the factory seats look so good and blend with interior colors, but if I can find a similar good looking seat cover I will go for it.
Use medium quality fabric seats of a shade of your choice. You could take a tip from HappyWheels Safari whose seat covers I ve been seeing from day 1 and they are still going strong and pretty clean. They should cost you around INR 3500.00 for the complete set at JC Road. Though your dealer will give them to you for free as well. Again, if you want custom fabric seat covers stitched, send me a PM.
Quote:
5. Should I do teflon coating? Will it help in long term paint protection? I want to make sure I dont inflict tiny scratches etc while cleaning, especially will show up in black. You would have seen some black cars that are not cleaned properly will show round tiny marks in an angle meaning when the car was washed and wiped these scratches were instilled by the dust and dirt particles... advise?
Teflon coating is of NO use. There are a lot of threads on TBHP which clearly explain its uselessness.
Old 22nd November 2010, 14:12   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Oh man, that's a luscious black on that brute of a beauty!

Whatever people may say about its maintenance, black really is the best on these big vehicles!

Why don't you drive her down to 'kumari and get your new child home in its mechanical sibling?

Regards,
spadix
That is very much what I will be doing in December.. Wont even think of any other option.
Similarly I brought my first child(a boy) in the Zen 5 years ago from there to Bangalore, and now its going to be the Safari for the next baby. Safari itself is a baby for me now, anyway!
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
5. Should I do teflon coating? Will it help in long term paint protection? I want to make sure I dont inflict tiny scratches etc while cleaning, especially will show up in black. You would have seen some black cars that are not cleaned properly will show round tiny marks in an angle meaning when the car was washed and wiped these scratches were instilled by the dust and dirt particles... advise?
Having a black car myself all I can say is that the so-called teflon coating you get done by these dealers is of no use. Instead, take the new car as is, and visit a good shop (TBHP Bengaluru should be able to help you out here) and get some good quality car wax on.

Next, for regular maintenance, follow the processes outlined in the threads on car maintenance and aesthetics we have in the TBHP Advice section.

A couple of things to keep in mind even before your first wash job -
  1. Do not use bore water
  2. Use a pipe to wash down the dirt as much as possible first
  3. Use a good soft microfiber cloth/towel and apply *extremely* light pressure (almost no pressure) while wiping off the water to dry the car
  4. Do not wash and dry in the sun or when the body is warm/hot to the touch - wait for things to cool down

There's a bunch of other stuff you need to take care of to ensure there are no swirl marks but there's no magic bullet in our conditions. I feel a certain amount of swirl is inevitable and a polish-and-wax job every 6 months to one year is the only way out.

I've got a bunch of swirl marks on my Civic's shiny black coat and it pains me no end. Most of it is due to incorrect technique (too much pressure while cleaning, for example), and some of it is due to not having access to proper washing/cleaning material. I've slowly started to do things the right way not, but the proof of that will be visible only after I get some anti-swirl treatment done and then wash the car a couple of times.

Regards,
spadix
spadix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2010, 15:59   #24
BHPian

Looks like these issues are a born trait for Safari, even I faced these issues in my 1400 Km driving the Safari, Here's my update,

Quote:
Couple of questions to Safari owners now:
1. When accelerating, sometimes the vehicle jerks slightly in blips as though its losing power momentarily (like a motorbike with choked carburettor will), but these are in fraction of second duration and immediately the car regains its momentum and moves ahead.. This continues to happen intermittently, mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear and especially so when I'm very light footed on the pedal.
Checked with the dealer's helpline and they told me to push the pedal to max once or twice to clean up the exhaust system. I tried that and the rpm went up to 3K and I didn't want to push it further. And it hasn't helped...
My guess is it would go away after first service, but wanted to know if there is anything I can do to help it.
I filled regular Bharat petroleum diesel after taking delivery.
I also faced this massive missing (felt like Engine dying at 1600-1800 rpm) issue, got the ECU remapped in the first service and the problem has vanished upto 90%, It still misses but its not alarming and is also not very often rather I would say now comes only 3/10 times. Waiting for some more KMs pileup before going again for a remap.

Also, after this ECU remapping, driveability has tremendously improved and the sluggishness in first and second gear has drastically reduced.

Quote:

2. There is a krrkitchkrrr noise on the front right side of bonnet when driving, that comes up occasionally when upshifting - the moment when you press clutch to upshift. Whats that? I think I read in other Safari threads about this krr noise and wondering if this is same.
I also got similar sound coming, my observation, normally comes while driving in the 4th and the 5th gear when your speeds are relatively lesser than 80 kmph. Not sure why, the problem did not surface at the time of first service and is difficult to reproduce.

Quote:

4. The seats and interiors are light cream colored, and can get dirty easily if not careful - how you guys deal with that? I'm not keen on seat covers since the factory seats look so good and blend with interior colors, but if I can find a similar good looking seat cover I will go for it.
I am also facing the same problem, and the Safari's AC seems to be playing some tricks with me, The outside air still comes in even when all the vents are closed, Trying to find a solution for this.

I have got the below art leather seat covers installed, couldn't figure out a better color combination.

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-img_1987.jpg

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-img_1988.jpg

Last edited by shantanumishra : 22nd November 2010 at 16:01.
shantanumishra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2010, 13:10   #25
BHPian

Anuj called me this morning that he is going to KHT for checking this 'jerk' and 'engine blip' issue in his Safari and asked if I can bring in mine too since I'm experiencing it more.
I also joined him there.

The service advisor first checked the vacuum hoses under bonnet, tightened them, then removed the water from sedimenter; then we went out for a drive to see if problem shows up again, but the problem seemed to have disappeared; Even today morning when I drove to office the problem was there, but after this visit to KHT the problem seems to have disappeared, atleast for now;
Will have to wait and see for a couple of days if issue resurfaces.

The SA also fixed my turning radius, I think he said it was more on one side.

Good experience at KHT, happy with their helpfulness; I think I'll take my Safari there for first service next week.
Old 25th November 2010, 13:46   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will have to wait and see for a couple of days if issue resurfaces.
Hope we both should not get this annoying problem of jerk. Lets see how it behaves in next 2 - 3 days.
Old 4th December 2010, 20:01   #27
BHPian

Here is Bulgy, somewhere near Nagercoil, Tamilnadu. It is 600kms from Hosur; drove out to here a week back, and returning tomorrow to Hosur. And got delayed for first service. Now she is at around 2100kms, would be around 2700 by the time I take her to KHT for first service on Monday.

No issues at all, just having tough time trying to keep her clean in these stormy days.

Some pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-03.jpg  

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-04.jpg  

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-02.jpg  

A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK-01.jpg  

Old 4th December 2010, 20:12   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Here is Bulgy, somewhere near Nagercoil, Tamilnadu. It is 600kms from Hosur; drove out to here a week back, and returning tomorrow to Hosur. And got delayed for first service. Now she is at around 2100kms, would be around 2700 by the time I take her to KHT for first service on Monday.

No issues at all, just having tough time trying to keep her clean in these stormy days.

Some pictures:
Unless your office is in whitefield, Concorde, hosur road is much closer to you. If the missing problem for both of you persists, ask them to change the Fuel filter from a newer batch, Oct 2010 onwards.
dadu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2010, 21:39   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
Unless your office is in whitefield, Concorde, hosur road is much closer to you. If the missing problem for both of you persists, ask them to change the Fuel filter from a newer batch, Oct 2010 onwards.
Dadu, you are right. Concorde Motors in Chikka Begur road is the nearest and I would say, its better option to get Safari serviced than KHT [my personal choice].

Btw, when you say "If the missing problem for both of you persists", are you referring the "momentary loss of power/heart beat" while trying to accelerate in 3rd gear ?
I do have the same problem and its kind of now with increased frequency.

Prem.
Old 5th December 2010, 10:38   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaviprem View Post
Btw, when you say "If the missing problem for both of you persists", are you referring the "momentary loss of power/heart beat" while trying to accelerate in 3rd gear ?
I do have the same problem and its kind of now with increased frequency.

Prem.
Yes, I meant the same, heart beat miss. Since your vehicles are new its unlikely because of any carbon buildup, otherwise I would have suggested Systsm D.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks