Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2011, 12:58   #61
BHPian

Re: A new beginning - Tata Safari 2.2 VTT DICOR EX QUARTZ BLACK

The steering gave some squeaks and was noisy for last couple of days as if no power steering oil. Took her to KHT, and yes, power steering oil level was low. They jacked her up, and found power steering oil had leaked a lot and the engine guard plate was full black with oil.
Culprit was joint of a metal hose that carries power steering oil down below. They didn't have the part in stock and have ordered same, may take a week it seems. Meanwhile, they topped off the oil for now and squeak isn't there now.

Mr. Ramesh at KHT was very helpful.

Also the brakes were giving a little grinding noise when coming to stop at slow speed - they removed the front brake pads and rubbed with sandpaper to remove the dust and I think it is better now.

She is close to 12000 kms in odo now.
Old 5th April 2011, 13:12   #62
BHPian

Bulgy is going in for her 3rd service (15K service) sometime soon this week or next week.
She is at 14500 on ODO now.

Oil change will happen. What else I need to get done specifically? Couple of issues to look include
1. Brakes make a grinding noise/feel especially when coming to a halt or at slow speed.
KHT had cleaned the pads couple of weeks ago but the problem remains...
I saw someone in the technical issues thread talking about the hubs getting replaced for this problem...

2. The power steering fluid continues to leak, and the part has been ordered but not arrived yet (I'm sure they didn't order it first time when I visited, second time they took note, and topped up fluid once more.) It would be good if part arrives before I go for 3rd service..

Any other items to specifically take care of? Experts pls advise..

Did a Hosur - Mudumalai - Hosur trip over weekend; needless to say, every highway trip is a sheer pleasure on the Safari!

Suresh.
Old 5th April 2011, 14:19   #63
BHPian

^^ Congratulations on completing 15K so soon

The brakes making "grinding" should be due to the bad pads. It could be a metal to metal jamming noise. I dont think this should come so soon and you might have the pads replaced in warranty. I am not sure if this is covered though !

Good luck !
Prem.
Old 7th April 2011, 09:24   #64
BHPian

Thanks Prem. When I last visited KHT to check the power steering fluid leak, I also mentioned the brake grinding issue to Ramesh; He got the brake pads removed and checked, and they were looking good with enough thickness still left; they cleaned and scrubbed the pads a bit (only front, and I think noise is from front only) and fitted them back.
However this has not helped and the grind at slow speed is still there...
Old 13th April 2011, 12:26   #65
BHPian

The 3rd service was done at KHT Motors, Whitefield on Monday 11th Apr.

Oil changed, new Fuel Filter, and wheel alignment were done.
The service advisor listed Engine Decarbonising as one of the things to do and quoted Rs.700 for it, I declined it.
And regarding the fuel filter change, I realised only after service that the user manual states it should be changed only at 30K service.
The fuel filter was some 2000Rs so I am not sure if it is going to add any value, or just a waste.
What I hate is I dont know if they really changed it or just put it in the bill.

The power steering fluid pipe has not arrived yet, so they've just topped up the fluid, the leak is minor though, so I'm ok to wait till the part arrives, I'll probably pester them again on this.

The grinding noise in brake - he said both pads have been cleaned and fitted back, same as what they did a month ago, and it hasn't helped much. The grinding noise can be felt only when coming to a stop and if the brakes are hard pressed, with slight pressure the grind isn't there.

The wash has been good, though I dont like the sticky oily coat they seem to apply all over the car - I've to waterwash myself for my satisfaction.

My brother sent a Camel Trophy and 'One Live Live It' sticker from UK, looks good on the Safari. Will share pictures soon.

And a Kanyakumari round trip is coming up this weekend, wife & son wanting to spend a month of the school summer holidays at her parents' place. With the heat on, I think I'll start really early in the morning and try beat the noon heat of Tamilnadu.

She is at a little past 15000 kms now.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:08   #66
BHPian

@verditer, yes the fuel filter needs to be replaced in every 15K kms according to the owners manual.

Regarding the grinding noise, even I had this issue with mine and the cleaning did not help. I replaced the brake pads with the one I purchased from JC road (TVS make) and the noise gone now.

Don't get the pads from TASS, which will cost you more than double.
Old 13th April 2011, 13:34   #67
BHPian

The grinding noise maybe due ti the damaged discs as I have also experienced same problem in my Grande. Get them checked. I am experiencing them every 3-4 months.

Regards
Old 13th April 2011, 14:09   #68
Senior - BHPian

It is really quick! It means that you will do more than 30K per year in your Safari. Mine is 8700 KMs now in 6 months. Just came back from Bangalore - Munnar - Ooty - Mysore - Bangalore trip. Whole trip of 1400 KMs was full of enjoyment and comfort in Safari.

I did not go through 7.5K Oil change due to busy schedule and guests at home. Now, I decided to stick to user manual. No issue at all in my Safari.
Old 13th April 2011, 14:44   #69
BHPian

LionX: I did check the manual only yesterday and it says fuel filter to be changed ato 30K intervals,, let me double check. Or was there a recent change in this?
Regarding brake pads - the pads are having much life still left in them, but I'm willing to go your route with TVS pads but I'm worried if warranty will be affected?

Happy Roadie: I have looked at the discs and they do look good, but I may be wrong here.. KHT service advisor is claiming both pads & discs are in good condition... hmmm.

Anuj: Good to know you went to Munnar - anyday a beautiful place to go. Yes, I'm quick to 15K and my expected yearly mileage worries me - I may soon expire the warranty and extended warranty. But you never know in life what comes next, so I'm not bothered much right now but enjoying her fully. I'm going to be happy and very satisfied if she is with me for 5 years and 150-200K kilometers.. Lets see.
Old 13th April 2011, 19:37   #70
Senior - BHPian

The fuel filter is to be changed at every 30k kms. I believe that the initial set of owner manuals did come with a 15k kms replacement interval mentioned in it. It was revised later.
Old 18th April 2011, 11:59   #71
BHPian

Did a 1200km round trip from Saturday morning to Sunday morning.

Left Hosur at Saturday 8.15AM with family, reached Panagudi (~600kms) around 5PM.
Dropped off family, rested, left there at 2AM and reached Hosur at 10AM Sunday.

Round trip was ~1200kms, Bulgy consumed some 100 litres approximately. Fuel efficiency was roughly 12 KMPL with 95% A/C and a lot of revving and high speeds.

Love you, Baby.
Old 11th May 2011, 13:38   #72
BHPian

The power steering pressure pipe part arrived couple of weeks ago, and I went in today to get it replaced under warranty. Took an hour at KHT to get it done.
They topped up the fluid back, it was below MIN level this morning when I checked it.

I will know in few weeks if the new part is holding.

She is at 18500kms now and rapidly approaching 20,000 mark.
Last week fully I was at Bhadra Tiger Reserve for line transect surveys, the Safari spent 8 days parked at field station near Jagara village without any action while I was at anti poaching camps. Only Mahindra majors and Gypsies can traverse the forest roads inside Bhadra.

Back in Hosur now, and doing the regular Hosur-Whitefield-Hosur daily runs..
Old 23rd May 2011, 11:37   #73
BHPian

20,000 KMS Update

Did a round trip to Kanyakumari over weekend, and Bulgy crossed 20,000kms sometime yesterday on way back.

It has been exactly 6 months since I bought her, and she has been an absolute pleasure from day one. Nothing to report, she just continues to impress, and showed her class on the highway every kilometer.

I kept her constantly at 120-130, and she just purrs on gobbling the 4 lane highway under her, kilometer after kilometer. Needless to say, it is sheer pleasure driving a Safari on the open highway. You've to experience it to understand it.
verditer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2011, 19:12   #74
BHPian

Wow, you are eating up miles like one eats his meals, My busy schedule has allowed me to complete only about 9K till now,

Anyways, planning a 2K trip near soon, lets hope it materializes.

Keep Revving....
Old 28th May 2011, 17:19   #75
BHPian

He he.. Driving 100kms everyday is part of my busy schedule..... :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks