Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 13:28   #31
BHPian

Re: 2010 Maruti Wagon R CNG- 20,000 Kms review

Quote:
Originally Posted by syravi View Post
Hi All,

My car is about to get its 4th service. The odometer reads 19650. So what is my experience so far? Well, nothing has changed. The car continues to give top notch performance and I have saved a lot of money by opting for CNG. I have driven this much in just 10 months!

Yesterday went to a MAS and took an estimate on the expense (this I find is a good idea than just taking your car and letting them decide the expenses). The guy tells me that for coolant, engine, airfilter, oil filter, wash, tuning etc. the cost will be about 3100. I will get wheel alignment, rotation and balancing done outside and this will not be more than 400-500 I guess.

So that's it.

By the way I hit the rear of my car on a gate while reversing. Back lights (left) cracked and got a decent dent. This despite my reverse sensor because the gate had a very thin projection which the sensor did not catch.

Moral of the story: Dont depend on the reverse sensor too much. I did look back but the gate was on the blind side so got let down on two counts.

Not doing anything for the time being. It did spoil my mood though. Have taped the light for now (it works perfectly). And the dent spoils my mood. If at all I'll get it repaiured, I will do post November (my insurance is due then) after taking a no claim bonus.

But less inclined to rectify the defect. I drive in Delhi and keeping a perfect car is a huge issue. So most probably will leave it at that.

Love my car!
It is an excellent car for sure. I got delivery of mine on 31st July and have done 1600 kms till date, best part is that I got petrol worth Rs 600/- filled on delivery day and it still seems to contain same amout of petrol in it .

One thing that I noticed in last couple of days is that amount of vibration is on higher side when car is standing idle with AC on. I checked by opening the bonnet and found that radiator fan seems to be getting on ever 30-40 sec with hardly 10-15 sec break in between. Can you please confirm if you also have same amount of vibration?

I got car's first service done at Maruti sales and Service Naraina and bill amount was Zero rupees.
Old 29th August 2011, 14:19   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sang View Post
It is an excellent car for sure. I got delivery of mine on 31st July and have done 1600 kms till date, best part is that I got petrol worth Rs 600/- filled on delivery day and it still seems to contain same amout of petrol in it .

One thing that I noticed in last couple of days is that amount of vibration is on higher side when car is standing idle with AC on. I checked by opening the bonnet and found that radiator fan seems to be getting on ever 30-40 sec with hardly 10-15 sec break in between. Can you please confirm if you also have same amount of vibration?

I got car's first service done at Maruti sales and Service Naraina and bill amount was Zero rupees.
The vibrations occur if you do not run the car for long enough after start. Once the car warms up and then you start A/c it wont give you vibrations. And yes, the radiator fan does start and stop in short intervals. So that should not be the concern. If you run the car long enough and even then there is vibration, then I suggest get your air filter cleaned. There might be dust in it.
Old 21st September 2011, 12:28   #33
BHPian

Hi all,

Just got my car serviced at 20,000 kms.

What Changed:
Oil filter
Air filter
Engine Oil (Maruti Servo)
Spark Plugs (Denso - Should have been NGK according to manual)
Coolant
Gear Oil
Washing
Injector cleaning
Drycleaning

Total cost: 3400 (10% discount at MAS)

Got alignment done: Rs 150
The guy at the shop said no need for tyre rotation and I was like amazed. Why are you not doing it, I insisted.
He said the condition is perfect no need.
That was it.

I had a serious issue with the spark plug gap they set. They had a filler gauge but my mechanic used his 'instincts' to set it. The result was I had to drive a dead brick for 70 kms.

Next day he increased the gap again using his instincts. The result was much better but my car was still worse in performance. Before service it was better!

I googled and found that spark pugs are set by filler gauges. I searched for one at hardware and automobile spare parts store but could not get it. Finally, I placed the order at one helpful shop.

In the meantime I get a follow up call from the garage. I tell them the problem and said I will visit only when I have a filler gauge. They say they have one!

"Why was it not used then?"
'Sorry. Come back we will set it right."

And so I went and got the gap set to 0.9mm. There was a lot of resistance I faced from the mechanic and his senior. They wanted the gap to be set to 0.8mm. I showed them the manual which said 0.9mm - 1.0mm.

They looked up at the sky as if I was crazy or about to damage my vehicle.

I got what I wanted. Now it is amazing, better than before! After driving 900 kms the problem got finally sorted.

Feel really sick that people ignore simple good practices even when they have all the tools.

I was informed, and so got the problem corrected. What of the layman?
He will balme his luck, his car, his decision, Maruti, India.

Just because a mechanic did not do what he was supposed to do.
Old 21st September 2011, 18:33   #34
BHPian

Re: 2010 Maruti Wagon R CNG- 7000 Kms review

Hi syravi,
I too own a Wagon-R, Lxi Petrol (2006 model).
Anyway, you mentioned that the turn indicators do not reset when you complete the turn and they continue to blink. Is it rectified or still same?
They are supposed to turn off automatically and if they do not, then they are definitely faulty and you should get them serviced.
Old 18th May 2012, 11:54   #35
BHPian

New Wagon R CNG 38,000 Kms ownership review

I completed my 35000 kms about a month ago. I love my car and it is fantastic. It hasnt given me any trouble whatsoever so far.

All I have gone in for so far is regular service. Even the brake pads that they nomally change at 30,000 were intact and I saved 2000 aprox because they did not need a replacement. The bill was about 3000. The MAS where I get my car serviced has a 3 +1 scheme. I have got two services done. One more and the third service will be free.

Earlier I was getting my car serviced by Competent but somehow found them expensive. I cannot say exactly why. But they did add an additive in petrol which was to clean the injectors and charged me 700 which I felt they should have asked before adding. I did not feel too happy about it. Also they misplaced many things. I did get them all but it was a stress and incompetence. I felt lost in so many cars being serviced. And they do not encourage you to see what they are doing.

At MAS the service is more personal. You can choose your own guy and I believe the same guy should service your car because he knows it thoroughly. Instead of always changing groups that run the top workshops associated with showrooms.

What they changed: 2 bulbs (my car had taken a hit from rear), Lube oil, Air filter, Oil filter, Coolant, Car washing etc

What they checked: Brake pads which were in good condition so no changes made. They merely scrapped the surface to get rid of the dust and dirt

I had changed the horn though because the original was very low for high way driving. I dont use too much of horn and replaced the standard one with Rooter. This horn conked out and I had to shell another 300 to replace it. The rooter replacement was for 650 and this time I went for Hella ordinary horn but one with dual sound. The guy who sold me the horn said that it had conked out because at the service station they probably sprayed water over it, which I really doubt.

So not basically a Maruti fault but a fault of non-standard equipment.

Another thing I would like to point is that the spark plug gap is of the most importance for CNG performance. Most mechanics just use approximation but please, stop them for ruining your car's performance. Scream at them if you must, but get them to use the filler gauge and set the spark plug gaps to either 0.9 mm or 1 mm. You can choose either of the two based on your own driving preferences. at 0.9mm you will save gas but have a slightly slugging engine. at 1.0 you will have a very responsive engine but at the cost of a little of fuel economy. At 0.8mm the car performance is pathetic and it will move like a heavy brick and you will start wondering why you bought the Wagon R CNG version at all. This is the gap most mechanics tend to keep because it works well with Maruti 800 or amybe Alto. But is certainly not the gap for Wagon R CNG. Please do not get your car serviced by workshops who do not have these filler gauges. They are completely unprofessional and you should not be dealing with them.

Some pointers on CNG:
I have been getting a lot of queries about CNG and felt I should clear them here, in this platform, rather than keep answering them privately.

CNG is a proven technology. It doesnt damage the engine. If id did, it wouldnt have been in use. Most people have this erroneous belief that CNG is a dry gas and therefore corrodes the engine. That petrol is wet so it lubricates. This is wrong. It is the lubricating oil that lubricates the engine not petrol. In modern cars, petrol is inleted as a spray or gas.

There is no need to run the CNG car for 3 months or X months before using CNG. The company experts say you can start from day one.

Please dont go by what people say. Most of these people who give free advice do not know anything about CNG, have never owned a CNG car and are propagating myths. Talk to people who own CNG car to complete your learning. It is obvious that a guy who speaks against CNG isnt a user and has found a justification for not buying the car which he will defend at all costs. Advice from such people can affect your decision badly and for no good reason. Have a scientific mind, research the net for information if you have doubts and don't trust people. But do not accept advice blindly.

I advice you to check out the NGV outlets in your city before you decide to buy. For Delhi you need not carry out this exercise. I can vouch that there are enough CNG stations with NGV not to be a cause of worry. I had someone from Mumbai complaining that the NGV outlets in Mumbai were limited. Let me explain you. The nozzle to fill at CNG station is of two types. One is the regular which has a small pipe protrution. The other is NGV which has a broad circular cone. Out of say 8filling sets that most CNG stations have only 3 or 4 have this NGV mode. And sometimes, as in Mumbai these stations do not have the NGV facility at all.

Also, just check the availability of CNG. If there are very long queues then think if time would be more important to you or savings. If you are short of time always but have surplus money due to a good income, it is pointless to stress yourself with waiting when time for you is a premium, rather than savings.

The benefits for car owners with drivers in CNG means these drivers cannot sell petrol and that leads to a lot of savings.

Another factor you must be sure of is that your driving should not be more than 85 kilometers per day. Beyond this, you will have to get a refill every day. I drive 70 kms every day so one refill lasts for 2 days. If I had to fill gas everyday then it would perhaps be a real pain. Normal time for refills is 15-20 minutes during lean hours (after 10 pm and before 7 am). During peak hours the wait is over 35 minutes. So watch out for how busy these stations are and how much time you have at your disposal. And the queues will only get longer with time. Touchwood so far I am managing fine and do not regret the decision to opt for CNG.

Also, if your drive is less than 30 kms per day, you will take a very long time to recover the costs and practically not in 5 years of time. I calculated the other day that only after driving 25000 kilometers could I recover the additional cost of 75000 rupees that I invested (assuming I saved 3 rs an average per kilometer). So dont go by absolute savings. Go by the time in which you are likely to achieve those savings...... Most people just think of I save 3 Rs per kilometer so I must get it. And some of the people I know are driving less than 50 kilometers a week. They will never recover their investment, it is a wrong belief of savings they are living.

For resale too, it will be assumed that you drove a car a lot before selling it. No amount of saying that the meter is not tampered will convince the future buyer that you dod not extract every ounce from the car. So the car will have a sharp drop in returns compared to say a Petrol version. This is what I feel and this is what I would think if I was the buyer. You can check or verify this with a seller of used cars.

From every point of view the Wagon R CNG is a great car: Technology, maintenance, responsiveness, road visibility etc. But please get the maths right before you decide......

And yes, I am not too happy about the build quality, right from the beginning. It's sheet metal is thin and sags the moment you lean against the side panels to the left or right of the engine. Same is with the doors.

You can ask me more if you wish..... at syravi at yahoo dot com
syravi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2012, 12:12   #36
BHPian

Re: New Wagon R CNG 38,000 Kms ownership review

The primer on CNG is very helpful, particularly as CNG is unfamiliar in our part of India. But is the cost of installation is Rs.75K for CNG? I guess LPG kit installation will cost only about Rs.25,000.
Old 18th May 2012, 18:09   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viggienomad View Post
The primer on CNG is very helpful, particularly as CNG is unfamiliar in our part of India. But is the cost of installation is Rs.75K for CNG? I guess LPG kit installation will cost only about Rs.25,000.
This is the difference between the CNG company fitted car (LXi model) and the regular petrol version. This is not the retrofitted CNG kit but a new, company fitted, computer driven Venturi kit used by Maruti which is way more superior than retrofitted CNG kits.
Old 26th May 2012, 21:36   #38
BHPian

I decided to buy a wagonr cng... booking it tomorrow or maybe monday...decided on the cng due to the recent hike. it seems its price will only go higher but i guess so will cng prices albeit a bit more subtly..

i was pretty confident on my decision till i saw the cost recovery duration portion of your review, i do drive 70 km a day as of now, but it is doubtful it will be so after 3 or 4 months.. in the price i could get the top model itself..

can you tell me what kind of average you get on petrol and cng?
thanks.
Old 27th May 2012, 19:49   #39
BHPian

Nice review. With the petrol prices skywards bound, and diesel de-regulation on the anvil, CNG seems to be sensible choice. Only issue is availability, and the long waiting queues as you mentioned.
How much is CNG tank capacity? How many KGs of CNG can you get in one refill? Also, is your engine k10/k12?

Mods, sorry for the back to back posts. But i forgot to ask an important question. How much is the petrol tank capacity of your car?

Note from Support - Please use the EDIT button to add more content to your post, instead of submitting another back to back post. Thanks!

Last edited by n_aditya : 10th May 2013 at 13:57. Reason: Posts merged
Old 30th June 2012, 17:25   #40
BHPian

The factory fitted WagonR CNG cylinder has a capacity of about 10 kgs. However, since the pressure at the filling stations isn't so high, only about 9 kg of CNG can be refilled at once.

My WagonR CNG runs about 230 kms on 9 kg of CNG, which isn't so bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvldvr View Post
Nice review. With the petrol prices skywards bound, and diesel de-regulation on the anvil, CNG seems to be sensible choice. Only issue is availability, and the long waiting queues as you mentioned.
How much is CNG tank capacity? How many KGs of CNG can you get in one refill? Also, is your engine k10/k12?
Old 1st July 2012, 12:15   #41
BHPian

My CNG wagon R just did 11000kms. There was a weird starting problem for the last few kms. The engine which normally started just fine on a half crank just wouldnt on a warm engine (on the first crank I mean). Stop and crank a second time after say 5 secs and it growls to life immediately. Service center changed all 3 spark plugs (Rs 100 each)/ Appears to be running fine now. Just returned a city average of 27.68/kg. Considering that a CNG engine runs hotter than a petrol one when should I get my coolant replaced??
Old 1st July 2012, 19:06   #42
BHPian

Got the 4th service done today for my WagonR CNG. The car has run a total of about 20,800 kms.

The service was carried out by a Maruti A.S.S. in Gurgaon. Below is a breakdown of the cost --
1) Parts
1.a. Element Air Cleaner Rs. 256
1.b. Filter Assy. Oil Rs. 78
1.c. Coolant Rs. 207
1.d. Break Fluid GC1500AA Rs. 265
1.e. MGO (5W30) - Castrol Rs. 808
1.f. MGGO (75W90) Rs. 672
2) Labor
2.a. Service labor Rs. 1110
2.b. Engine Decarbonization Rs. 1275
2.c. Caliper Pin Greasing Rs. 350
2.d. Carb. Spray Rs. 100
Less Discount Rs. 146

Taxes Rs. 290 + Rs. 15 + Rs. 330

Net Bill Amount Rs. 5635
The service labor charges at the service center are relatively high. The responsible technician said that there was no need for wheel alignment and balancing. He didn't change the spark plug either.

Thoughts?
dsunn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st July 2012, 19:53   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsunn View Post
Got the 4th service done today for my WagonR CNG. The car has run a total of about 20,800 kms.

The service was carried out by a Maruti A.S.S. in Gurgaon. Below is a breakdown of the cost --
1) Parts
1.c. Coolant Rs. 207
2) Labor
2.d. Carb. Spray Rs. 100
Less Discount Rs. 146

Net Bill Amount Rs. 5635
The service labor charges at the service center are relatively high. The responsible technician said that there was no need for wheel alignment and balancing. He didn't change the spark plug either.

Thoughts?
Recently got my WagonR serviced (4th service that is 1st paid).
It had run only 7000Kms as my running is very low.
The bill came up to around Rs.3000 (approx).
The service guy insisted on changing the AC air filter worth 1099/-. He even insisted on wheel balancing and alignment but I did not feel the need as the car was perfectly stable. Also planning a long trip in a month or so, thought of getting wheel alignment and balancing done at that time.
The charges for service were something around Rs.1200.
The service charges are a bit on the higher side I felt as Tata charges Rs650 for a nano's service. The double amount is not justified for a WagonR.

They also sprayed some anti rust coating on the bolts and cost me about Rs.100.
The others were regulars like washing liquid and other stuff.

The service guy also insisted me to go for brake cleaning which cost me Rs 850. I personally did not feel this necessary but went ahead as a precautionary measure for the monsoons.

Some how I felt the charges for labor are a bit on the higher side.
Service was carried out at SAI SERVICE, Borivali(E), Mumbai.
Do you think I have paid something extra what was not needed?
Old 1st July 2012, 20:34   #44
BHPian

Another query --

Is Engine decarbonization required for CNG fueled cars? My car runs on CNG most of the time -- out of 21,000 kms, the car has run on petrol for only about 1,500 kms.

Given the fact that CNG leaves lesser carbon emissions compared to petrol, I'm guessing that the carbon buildup in the engine should be lesser. And therefore, engine decarbonization can be carried out at a much later stage (maybe at 40k kms?).
Old 1st July 2012, 21:08   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsunn View Post

1) Parts
1.c. Coolant Rs. 207
2) Labor
2.d. Carb. Spray Rs. 100
Less Discount Rs. 146
Net Bill Amount Rs. 5635

Thoughts?
Firstly i must say you are getting excellent average. I normally get 190 km on tank full of CNG with pressure of 200 PSi. Mine is Santro 2008 model, fitted with CNG. The fittment was done from aftermarket. This is the average with 100% AC and B2B traffic.

When the car runs on CNG there is hardly any carbon in engine, and some amt of Carbon in also beneficial for the engine, hence Engine Decarbonization Rs. 1275 is a total waste of money and surely not required, if one is following regular intervals of oil change.

What's extremely important in CNG car is Throttle body cleaning, as the car runs on CNG, i could not see in that in the service break up. Perhaps for the gear oil change you could have waited till next service.

Last edited by amitpunjani : 1st July 2012 at 21:09.
amitpunjani is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed