Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2010, 11:58   #91
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.

Since you guys are discussing tyres right now in this thread.

Have used Michelin MXV8 205/60 R16 - Good comfort, Life-43K and fuel economy - poor in terms of grip and fun to drive. - Expensive

Yokohama - S drive 205/55 R16 - Stock size - Life-32K, Poor fuel economy, super grip, fun to drive, best looking but lower life - Cheaper tyres. - Second Suggestion

Yokohama - ES501 225/55 R16 - Yes they fit and do not foul any parts - Life-unknown but expected to be good, best comfort, good grip due to wider profile, not much increase in steering effort though wider profile, most silent, good fuel economy, not cheap but not too expensive either, silent, fun to drive - Will suggest this one if possible - post warranty period as the tyre size may void the suspension and PS warranty, or else get the dealer to agree to give these as an upgrade officially.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:36   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Back in the fold has bought Ambiente trim which comes with 15" rims.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:20   #93
BHPian

^^I too got Ambiente trim (TSI comes only in that presently) but changed the rims to ones on Elegance immediately. Liked the rims on Elegance lot better than ones in L&K, was contemplating Superb ones but it was out of stock. Drove my car once with original wheels but took extensive test drives from dealership on 15 inch ones. Ride wise not much difference thanks to Michelin tyres and handling is definitely better on 16's.
Old 30th December 2010, 14:40   #94
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ I drove both Ambiente and Elegance back to back, the extra cushion effect of the 15" rims is clearly evident on bad roads. BTW for anyone upgrading to 16" rims i strongly recommend Yokohama db V550. I had these tires on my previous car, they offer a very good compromise between Comfort and Grip. I checked with Dealer here, they are not available for 65 profile in 15".
Old 30th December 2010, 22:24   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ I drove both Ambiente and Elegance back to back, the extra cushion effect of the 15" rims is clearly evident on bad roads. BTW for anyone upgrading to 16" rims i strongly recommend Yokohama db V550. I had these tires on my previous car, they offer a very good compromise between Comfort and Grip. I checked with Dealer here, they are not available for 65 profile in 15".
I'm with you on the practicality of the 15" - I don't plan to upsize wheels.

I don't want to hijack this thread into a tyres discussion I'll take your suggestions to check out the Yokohama options since the Primacy is repeatedly flagged for "soft" sidewalls.
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:17   #96
BHPian

congrats on the car anshuman,
very well compiled ownership experience, same goes for your punto

i really like the laura for its robust build quality and looks.
with your kind of running i feel this car suits you perfectly.

a full sized luxury barge giving better fuel economy than a family hatch that too with far superior performance is engineering at its best.

have driven the previous gen laura dsg, that car is loud on the inside when you floor it, how does this one compare to it on the NVH levels inside the cabin?

wish you a trouble free ownership
Old 2nd January 2011, 02:28   #97
BHPian

.anshuman
I have noticed that we have placed similar plastic mats over the default floor mats. How much did you get these for? I was in a bit of a hurry to procure these mats as I didn't want to soil the carpet floor mats. So i paid Rs900 for them(the asking price was Rs950).

Last edited by Amartya : 2nd January 2011 at 04:41. Reason: Minor formatting and removal of 'dots'
Old 2nd January 2011, 13:45   #98
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
congrats on the car anshuman,
very well compiled ownership experience, same goes for your punto

have driven the previous gen laura dsg, that car is loud on the inside when you floor it, how does this one compare to it on the NVH levels inside the cabin?
Thanks Superboy, I am glad you liked the thread.

The NVH characteristics of this car are entirely different than the previous PD version. It is as silent as a Common Rail Diesel car of this Segment should be. Hope you get what i mean to say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpcard View Post
.anshuman
I have noticed that we have placed similar plastic mats over the default floor mats. How much did you get these for? I was in a bit of a hurry to procure these mats as I didn't want to soil the carpet floor mats. So i paid Rs900 for them(the asking price was Rs950).
I got the mats for free, altered them using scissors for exact fit as they are universal size for all cars. They surely look bad in this car but i have kept them for time being until i find better mats which cover more carpet area and absorb all the dust without looking soiled.

The OE Skoda mats which below these plastic mats are not suited for our country. Firstly the are the same shade as the carpet(Ultra light beige), then they do not cover the entire carpet area. The OE Hyundai mats i had in my Elantra were much much better, i never had to use after-market mats with them.
Old 6th January 2011, 14:57   #99
Distinguished - BHPian

Laura gets Curtains.

I always liked the OE curtains some luxury cars like Mercs etc have on the rear doors, in fact the Skoda Superb comes with these curtains which can be lowered when required and otherwise they operate with the glass. I almost bought them for my Elantra last year but they were postponed forever due to non-availability. Now a similar desire to get similar curtains for the side glasses arose, i started the quest.

Skoda has listed these rear curtains for Laura in accessories list for Rs.8k- Not interested as front curtains not available.

The only decent quality curtains that can found easily here in NCR were P8 branded curtains for all 4 windows. The first price quote i got was 4500 bucks, i decided to try the price with some different shop. Later i got various quotes some said 5k, other offered the curtains for 3.9k, later a friend referred me to someone who got the curtains for me 3000 bucks including installation.

These curtains do have 2 options to install them, first is they come with 3M double sided tape that can be stuck to the door and curtain mechanism can be removed anytime when not required. Also if the tape does not stick properly screws are also provided in the package. Installation process is pretty simple takes 10-15 minutes for an experienced installer. For now i have stuck them using the tape, kept the screws to be fixed if the curtain come off some time later.

The Curtains do not obstruct the OVRM and have decent visiblity from inside. However i would not recommend anyone to drive with the curtains on for safety reasons. Here are some pictures for you.

The Curtains are attached to the glass so they come down whenever the glass is lowered.
Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02777.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02778.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02779.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02780.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02781.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02782.jpg

Skoda Laura DSG CR 140 - Ownership Experience.-dsc02783i.jpg

Ownership Update-
Now after living with the car after for a month i have fully got used to driving this car. Now i do not keep checking the Which gear? and What RPM? all the time like i initially did, my right foot flexes automatically whenever i need a drop in gear. The FE now for city usage with moderate traffic has now settled to 13-15kpl depending on how easy i am on the acc. pedal. The DSG continues to bring a smile to my face every KM.

Last edited by .anshuman : 6th January 2011 at 14:59.
Old 7th January 2011, 14:24   #100
BHPian

how come your DSG CR is 140??

mine is an elegance 2.0 CR MT and it's power output is 110 Bhp. (though feels more, but that's what the manual and the website says)
Old 7th January 2011, 14:47   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

^^

Laura CR MT = 110bhp, 250nm, SOHC
Laura CR DSG= 140bhp, 320nm, DOHC
Old 7th January 2011, 16:21   #102
BHPian

Sorry to say, but I didn't like the curtains Anshuman. From the pics, they don't look to be cut precisely at the edges and don't seem to fit like OEM's or Superb's. Also, if I were you I would never drill holes in the door pad to fit these curtains when they come off their 2 sided tapes. Any particular reason why you don't want to install sun films?

@samyakmodi, if you feel your car has more power than 110BHP that is stated, you could be true since VW is known for under-stating their engine powers globally. A discussion on the same was going on at briskoda forums where independently tested 1.8TSI were putting out 180 BHP as against 160 which is advertised without any engine modifications.

Now that we have dynos here, Skoda engine tests would be the most interesting figures to look forward to.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:07   #103
Senior - BHPian

Curtains are great for harsh summers. I need to get some too. Do they have one for the rear windscreen?
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.anand View Post
Sorry to say, but I didn't like the curtains Anshuman. From the pics, they don't look to be cut precisely at the edges and don't seem to fit like OEM's or Superb's. Also, if I were you I would never drill holes in the door pad to fit these curtains when they come off their 2 sided tapes. Any particular reason why you don't want to install sun films?
I think they are universal size for all cars and therefore it will not be flush fitting. Advantage of curtains over films is much better visibility in the night where you can lower them.
Old 7th January 2011, 19:10   #104
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ The car already has 35% tints. I have just used the tapes to stick the curtains, the fit is not that bad as it looks in the pics. Obviously not OE Skoda quality but since Skoda did not have curtains for front windows i had to buy these.
Old 8th January 2011, 08:44   #105
Distinguished - BHPian

I like sun-screen/curtain that you are using - very useful if you don't want to tint the heck out of the car. I bought the OE ones for the rear seats, useful and fit correctly but not easy to take them out (no sliding, only clip-on mechanism).

Fab looking car, btw!

Most Viewed