Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2005, 16:41   #16
Team-BHP Support

the 1.6 gtx is one car that i havent driven yet but want to get a drive in, congrats for the car.

manson.
Old 20th December 2005, 18:14   #17
Senior - BHPian

Hey Solly congrats man...
What surprises me the most is irrespective of the companys condition, irrespective of the mileage, irrespective of the after sales and service availability etc a good car always has customers...and most of these customers are enthusiasts than mere commuters...

GTX is an excellent car, I love the looks, the built, the power, the sound and handling.
I dont like the seating position(bad visibility) and mileage.

All in all, a great purchase Solly...keep the Italian flag flying high
Old 20th December 2005, 22:09   #18

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

hey congrats man..welcome to the fiat group.when u think of buying this car every other aspect feels unimportant like ass,f.e.in terms of add ons get broader tyres,and fit a k&n.and ul be a happy man.i own a siena 1.6 too and trust me nothing comes close to it.so enjoy the car while the petrol prices r not increased again.hehee.
@palio 1.6 owners:wanted to know is there much of a difference in acceleration btween the palio 1.6 and siena/petra 1.6 considering there is only a difference of 40kgs in kerb weight.want to know so that incase i get to drag against a palio 1.6,do i have any chances.
and off the record raced my siena 1.6(my gf was driving it) against my ikon 1.6(i was driving it) and the siena just whooped the ikons ass.

Last edited by hellspawn : 20th December 2005 at 22:12.
Old 20th December 2005, 22:39   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
mine gives arnd 5-6!
Hey buzzin thats really odd. I think you better get your car checked out. There is no way that the GTX will give that kind of average. The worst I got from my S10 was when the car was brand new. On it's first tank full the car gave me about 7.50kmpl. Ever since that the fuel efficiency was on the up. The overall fuel efficiency I got was around 10.60-11.25kmpl which I think is damn good.

Solly, congrats on your new buy. But beware! The Palio GTX is a very addictive car. It will have you hooked in a few days!
Old 20th December 2005, 23:03   #20
BHPian

Guys wow thanks for the wonderfull replies, let me try to answer all your questions..

BHP - Will take some pics as soon as i get the tyres changed. Yes this is one of the fastest cars this side of 10l!!

Revtec - Well you got me wrong the rear are actually dominating. Yes the fader was set more biased towards the rear speakers corrected that and now its ok. So no spending on the Audio for now except to sort out a loose connection with the volume controll. Yes I'm planning to go for 100/90 with relay.

Harrie - I'm having a second thought about the decal, I'll take my time before deciding.

Buzzing Hornet you must be really buzzing your car to get that average!! I do that on my Karizma, have to really get to know the GTX before I start doing that.

Floyd - I was looking for an S10 but no one is selling it. 15kmpl in highway, I'm looking forward to it as most of my in city travel will be on my Kari. 190/60 will increase the G.C. where as 185/60 will reduce it. The headlamps havent faded its touch wood. Its a drivers car and am going to take care of her. I got it from Hyderabad.

VtecDeGr8 - Advice taken! No.. no free flows I'm environmental concious (a bit!!). I'm a mechanical engineer and believe the manufacturer has far more research capability to design an air filter which will have optimum performance over diffrent parameters.

Airfoil - You have a GTX and you stay in Hyd.. Cool I should talk to you, can you PM your cell no? Well the Potenzas are costing me 3500 and NCT5 2700. The price takes care of the faster wear. Also my dad's Mondeo has NCT's and we're quiet satisfied. Which of the two ride better, any one with experience on both?

Prkothan.. I hope I get similar mileage.. but I'm sure I wont!!

Khaadu I believe you, I'm sure my GTX will return similar figures. Its got a great combination of ride, handling, steering feel, performance and looks!!

Rapideffect - Yup planning to keep her for 4 years, them may be still keep her as my second car!!

5u3zEr0!!! Well I'm looking for more grip especially under hard braking and of course looks, hence the choice.

Nitrous yes I follow my hear.. otherwise I would have bought a Maruti!!

Lamborghini I want to deck up the car and post a before and after pics. Art leather seems to be a good option, what are the disadvantages compared to leather? Yes messing around the deck setting did work. I'm getting used to the suspension. I feel the ipod is convenient so no MP3 for now. The Music which comes out of the exhaust is one of the key factors for buying this car.

Satish - Lets meet up some time, I'll show you my

Manson, I'm sure you'll fall in love with it once you drive it. For the prices used GTX are going, you'll start hunting for one!!

Wolf we listen to our Hear dude. I second your thought on GTX, visibility is bad. The seating position is good but the seats themselves are not very comfy.

Hellspawn Palio is faster than siena till 140 after which the siena takeover due to taller gearing. Yup Siena is faster than the Ikon.

Amit after hearing the FE figures from owners, I feel reassured.

Just one question guys, how's the breaking in GTX? Especially breaking suddenly from high speeds (100+), also breaking from 150+ speed, does the car track straight and does it stop within a reasonable distance? Also any comparison of the above scenario with stock vs. wider tires?

Chao
Solly
Old 21st December 2005, 12:17   #21
BHPian

solly, congrats ..its a great car for what its purpose is.
I was just behind a S10 today, and I did wish I was inside it ;-)
Well can do w/o the signatures though!
Old 21st December 2005, 12:26   #22
Senior - BHPian

Solly, congrats on your ride. I drive your cousin, the 1.2. I wish I had that much of money at the time of buying my car. I would have closed my eyes and gone for GTX. I test-drove it and it was really wonderful!!
Old 21st December 2005, 12:42   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by solly

Airfoil - You have a GTX and you stay in Hyd.. Cool I should talk to you, can you PM your cell no? Well the Potenzas are costing me 3500 and NCT5 2700. The price takes care of the faster wear. Also my dad's Mondeo has NCT's and we're quiet satisfied. Which of the two ride better, any one with experience on both?

Just one question guys, how's the breaking in GTX? Especially breaking suddenly from high speeds (100+), also breaking from 150+ speed, does the car track straight and does it stop within a reasonable distance? Also any comparison of the above scenario with stock vs. wider tires?

Chao
Solly
I didn't realize there was a 800 rupee price difference between the NCT5 & Potenza GIIIs. That is a considerable difference - however, if the need to buy tyres arises again, I wouldn't hesitate to buy Potenzas. Not to say the NCT5 is a bad bargain though.

While the GTX is pretty stable when braking hard when at high speeds, what the brakes lack is progressive feel. It is easier to lock up the tyres on a GTX when braking hard, but its something you'll surely develop a feel for.

With the wider 195/60 as opposed to the stock 175/65, the braking feel improves considerably. I must say that the car doesn't feel as composed on wet, muddy roads though - it seems to have this 'nervous' tendency to step out of line. FE has gone down by a km or so but its well worth it IMO. There's also a higher tendency to tramline, i.e. to follow contours on the road.

All things said and done, the stock tyres are adequate if you are not the sort to push the car to its limits and drive at the edge.

Coming to ride quality, there is a marked improvement with the marginal gain in sidewall height a 195/60 offers over the 175/65. Between Potenza & NCT5, the latter may have a slight edge due to a softer compound.

A word of caution - I have heard of the tyre scraping the body with 185/65 tyres, especially when the car is loaded. This size is OK as a far as a Petra is concerned is what I understand.
Old 21st December 2005, 12:47   #24
BHPian

As far as I know Palio GTX breaking is much better than Accent and Ikon. (Accent and Ikon ownners please don't bump on me, I just conveyed what I heard. If I am wrong please correct me). But I can say Palio 1.2 breaking is much better than Santro, because I own both.
Old 21st December 2005, 12:58   #25
BHPian

ahhh....the palio...my first indian love! driven but neva owned 1...thirsty for more. love the way the turbo kicks in after a few secs...the closest you get to g-forces hitting you on hyd's traffic and pot-holed laden roads!
cheers mate!
Old 21st December 2005, 13:44   #26
Senior - BHPian

@ghostrider, Ummm..Turbo on GTX? Never heard of any.
Old 21st December 2005, 19:07   #27
BHPian

Quote:
5u3zEr0!!! Well I'm looking for more grip especially under hard braking and of course looks, hence the choice.
For the looks, yes you could get the 195's but for braking 185's are more than adequate. Still would recommend 185's for your mostly city driving as you mentioned.

When you brake at high speeds it just stops straight, no twitching at all. Like airfoil mentioned you just have to get used to the feel of the pedals.
Old 21st December 2005, 22:46   #28
BHPian

Abhay - S even I'm sure it will look better without the signature!! Though I like the GTX alloys better.

Deepakhon - Even now it's not too late, If you locate a good used GTX you can sell your 1.2 and buy it for almost same money.

Airfoil - It was nice talking to you, let's meet up and talk in detail.

prkothan - that takes the load off my head, but one gripe is I feel the accelerator and break pedals are placed too close together. I some time end up pressing both together.

ghostrider - the 1.6 is very fast, no wonder you felt its Turbocharger.. It's actually a normally aspirated 16v DOHC engine.

5u3zEr0 - Well I'm almost decided on 195, I'll use the car mainly in highway for city I have my Karizma!!

Chao
Solly
Old 22nd December 2005, 08:40   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
@ghostrider, Ummm..Turbo on GTX? Never heard of any.
Its a great car.

Heard of JBL's demo car? almost 2000cc or so. Kills vtecs and balenos )
Old 22nd December 2005, 13:35   #30
BHPian

Quote:
5u3zEr0 - Well I'm almost decided on 195, I'll use the car mainly in highway for city I have my Karizma!!
Oops I read wrong about your usage. Have fun with the car and post some pics when you can.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks