Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th December 2010, 09:32   #16
BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying!(at least on Team BHP) SX4 Green Initial rev

What a story man!?! You're a writer or what? You made me sit for an full 40 minutes this morning!
Congrats on the *GREEN* car
20km/kg is an impressive figure considering the size of this car and I just love that colour you've chosen.
Pictures are must (including the boot with the cyl) and wish you many more happy kms with her. Keep us posted.

Drive safe.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:20   #17
BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying!(at least on Team BHP) SX4 Green Initial rev

Eat your hearts out you petrol people! Petrol is much dearer as of today, oh but must I rub it in?

Turns out out our minders in the corridors of power did not take the unbeaten path on the Diesel front. Man, this will make more people go for those oil burners...
Old 15th December 2010, 10:54   #18
BHPian

Great Story.

The way you have gone about your buying decision, listing essential things you need in your new car and total cost of ownership is an organized way to go about a new car purchase! Looking forward to read your detailed driving experiences.

Congrats on the new car. Drive safe.
Old 15th December 2010, 10:58   #19
BHPian

Perhaps SX4 lovers may like to have this information, though slightly OT.

SX4 .. Sporty, Relaxing, 4 season vehicle.

Congrats on your purchase.

Murthy
Old 15th December 2010, 11:07   #20
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on your purchase LithiumSunset. I am no fan of SX4 and the A pillar the tall stance is a big drawback when it comes to styling for me, but the CNG variant means you'll end up saving big bucks. Kudos to that (I am a Go Green monster myself). The ticking sound that you hear is from the injection rail - any sequential injection system will have that noise. It's not entirely disturbing once you'll get used to it, and with them music on chances are you won't hear it at all. On the flip side you get comparable power to petrol while running on CNG.

Lets get some pictures please.

Drive safe.
Old 15th December 2010, 13:23   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
PS1: My first and only ride (mentioned in the first paragraph of post 1) is an Atlas Cycle bought on 25th November 1980. Sometime in 1989 I modified its 'drive train' to a three gear setup! Its the only set of wheels I have personally owned. Exactly thirty years later to date I handed over the cheque for the second set of wheels. The upgrade from pedal power to petrol power is awesome, isn’t it?
LiSunset (nice nickname too, you a fan of Eagles?) - congratulations on owning your second set of wheels. Nice touching bit to the overall narration. May you enjoy the car perfectly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
- The Dzire offers a much better value proposition to most people. Never mind that it looks like a Swift with Kim Kardashian's rear end.
+10 to this, Noop. Couldn't help laughing uproariously in my office on reading this one.
Old 15th December 2010, 14:02   #22
s10
BHPian

Congrats man! you have quite beautifully described your entire buying process. I also migrated from Palio (S10) to SX4 CNG.
Compared to Palio I feel less power and even less with CNG. I had CNG kit fitted in Palio as well and ran it around 2.5 yrs with CNG and somehow I feel initial pickup is less than that in case of S10 with CNG. Anyways S10 was a gem of a machine in both power and handling so not comparing two.
But I absolutely like the automatic switching from petrol to CNG mode and vice versa. Also to add the amazing mileage, I get around 21-22/kg of CNG which initially was unbelievable to me and I rechecked it many times but Yes it is . May be because the Kit type is sequential which is better than what we get in after market fittings.

Eagerly waiting for ownership/ driving experience .
Old 15th December 2010, 15:26   #23
Senior - BHPian

@LithiumSunset,

Congratulations on your new wheels. How about some snaps especially showing the CNG setup in the boot and under the hood. Do you have to open the hood to fill CNG or is there a separate fill point along side the one for petrol. Cold starts with CNG are best avoided as it is a dry liquid. BTW Turanzas are good tires to have and Blue in any shade is a great colour.
Old 15th December 2010, 17:10   #24
Senior - BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying! (at least on Team BHP): SX4 Initial review

Well written - made for an engaging read.
I thought you meant 'Linea' when you said "car that no one is buying". Did not think it would turn out to be the SX4.

For me, the extra flab is what is unappealing about the SX4. I like my cars to be lean and mean and within 1 tonne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset
The family jokes about how we carry the burden of being green in our lives.
Can identify with you here, since am pretty involved about the whole 'avoid wastage' thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset
Kilolitres of drinking water runs off into the gutter everyday outside our home from a broken main but we go into depression if one measly litre goes waste in the house.
Funny coincidence your mentioning the broken main - couple days ago while washing the Swift, I hear 2 neighbours complain about the leaking public tap near our home. It felt good that someone was bothering about a public tap leaking water.

Since they are the only ones who use it (well, the temple elephant occassionally takes a swig from it), they decided to rectify it since complaining to the municipality did not work. One of them bought the tap and they decided to split the 100 bucks that the plumber would charge. I told them that I could fix it for them - some cotton-waste, shellac, a spanner and a few minutes of work and the tap was leaking water no more as seen below.
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-dsc00044.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil
Indeed even I was thinking why is no one buying SX4 on this forum. In fact Fiat sells this as a crossover in Europe it is called Edicia or something like that.
I think its the Sedici.
Old 15th December 2010, 18:39   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

LithiumSunset,you have got some amazing writing skills that made me glued to the posts.Keep it up!

Congrats on the SX4.Its definitely one of the underrated cars in the market.It deserves a lot more.Enjoy the ride.

And ya,ownership threads without pics is BIG NO NO in tbhp.So post some pics soon of your hari gadi!
Old 15th December 2010, 19:29   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Man you write stories or what? Your second post seemed to be a well thought out one (since we all asked for the part 2).

But this is really a GREAT story of your purchase! And a very detailed one too. Indeed even I was thinking why is no one buying SX4 on this forum. In fact Fiat sells this as a crossover in Europe it is called Edicia or something like that. Anyway, congrats for the SX4 and the men are back at your parking lot

Cheers!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbkr1212 View Post
Brilliant write up to the core. Pleasure to read.
Are you a poet or a journalist who (very) occasionally writes poems/stories too?

Welcome to the SX4 family, my friend.
Please post the pictures.
Thanks for the wishes, anilisanil and bkbkr1212. I don't write stories, nor am I a journalist and I stay away from poetry, can't understand it at all! But now that you mention, maybe I should give one of those a try?

Quote:
You are a fine writer,LiSunset! Though you tend to run on for longer tha I'd consider attention-worthy lol.
Need some pics, boss. I am interested in seeing what the boot size actually is. And some funny experiences at the CNG filling station (a swanky new SX4 in between the autos has all the makings of one!) would really round it off nicely.
I am embarrassed at the length of that essay, but I am happy if it kept you interested till the end. Come to think of it, the post should easily win 'longest newbie post on TBHP', but thanks for your wishes Noopster.

About the pictures, honestly the car looks no different from the thousands of SX4s out there, but I will certainly put pictures of whats under both the ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Finally..

Have been checking the forum regularly to check whether you have revealed the name of the car or not.. Awesome..
And 20km/kg on CNG ???
Man I hope that they launch this model in Pune soon... Though CNG fuel is yet to be made available at pumps..
I do hope CNG becomes available through out the country and soon. I have put a lot of money on that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMartin View Post
Lithiumsunset - Thats one mesmerising story. Couldnt stop till i had reached the end.
Congratulations ! The Green SX4 is a great choice and kudos to Maruti-Suzuki for providing this option when others are spewing diesels by the dozen.
I could not understand some of the variant considerations like the Green option not being available in Zxi or A lot many prospective buyers would have walked away because of the MID or Bluetooth features not being available in the Zxi version. I wonder what the MSIL product marketing guys are thinking.

I opted for a SX4-VVT Zxi in March 2010. Agree with a lot of points you have mentioned above and I am very happy with my decision. I too have a Waggie from 2005 and i am having a hard time finding a suitable replacement.
I am waiting for the Sx4 to reach the 10K mark after which i will post a detailed initial ownership report.

Enjoy miles of smiles in your new ride.

Cheers
Oh another Waggie to SX4 story. I am waiting for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
i am impressed with the writing skills on display here. Congrats on the latest purchase. Drive safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravikn View Post
Excellent writeup. Congratulations for buying the SX4 green. Pls do post some pics of the car. Wish you many more happy miles
Thanks for the wishes prince_pervez and ravikn, some pics will follow, soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravib View Post
Congrats LithumSunset.. Very good detailed write up. Please do post some pics.

BTW, where is your analysis sheet?

-Ravi
Ravi, I am still to put this file up. There is some cleaning up to do in that file before it can become public, and thanks for the wishes.
Old 16th December 2010, 15:11   #27
BHPian

Quote:
- SX4 is not a looker. The elevated rear is an eyesore. The A column is an aesthetic nightmare.
- While ground clearance is amazing, I can't imagine the ride will be smooth. People don't mind a stiff ride in say a Swift but a sedan needs to be a plush ride.
- Maruti doesn't quite seem to know what to do with the SX4. It's in the same boat as the Hyundai Verna in that respect: those who drive one like it but everyone else is indifferent.
- The Dzire offers a much better value proposition to most people. Never mind that it looks like a Swift with Kim Kardashian's rear end.
Since I am strong about looks, I did not find SX4 bad looking (which is why it passed the test, but just), you are right about the A pillar nightmare, there is something seriously amiss there.

Everybody touts the 'amazing' ground clearance of the SX4, but in reality Linea or the City (and many others) at 165 are only 5mm less. I think the slightly suppler suspensions of these cars makes them prone to the scrapes. Longer wheel base of the Linea is another factor. Otherwise, if you haven't taken a ride in SX4, I recommend you take one, it will not disappoint you.

How dare you compare the most admired rear end of KK with that of the D'zire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser@0523 View Post
I begged my dad hard to buy an SX4 instead of a NHC back in 08, but he wanted the "Honda" tag

Congrats, the car looks awesome in that color.
Honda knows this only too well, but you have a great car too..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
Congratulations on your SX4. I am sure you will enjoy this car. And great narration too! I really enjoyed reading your story.

Since I am driving SX4 for last few months, I could not resist the temptation of giving my comments on some of your observations

Anyway, enjoy your new car and looking forward to more driving experiences from you.
Thanks for your observations, Dr.AD. One of the things that swung my decision was your buying of the SX4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Well congrats, but there are quite a few who have and adore SX4s on TeamBHP

Anyway, one reason why it is not setting the charts on fire is because, people ultimately go in for a Honda, as it is just a bit more money, more refinement, more brand value, more status symbol and so on.

But the SX4 is a great car none the less, and has more features than the City, like ACC. You have a sedan that can also double as an SUV ;-)
There many stories by people like RKBharat, Fornax, Angusta etc. which told me that I was not going wrong with this one.

The Vxi does not have ACC, nor even a simple DTE reading. I thought all of the City variants were better equipped than the SX4 with ABS and Airbags being standard, but it better be if it sells for a cool 1.5 lakhs+ (or more).
Old 16th December 2010, 16:10   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
People are actually reading this, wow!
LithiumSunset, Take a bow! I enjoyed every bit of it.

Quote:
when you see the car side-on and follow the roof line towards the front, the bonnet seems to start with an inelegant 'bulge' near the windscreen
I know precisely what you are talking about here. I feel its more pronounced in the Punto than the Linea.

Quote:
You can't really go against the HM if you want live in the H, do you?
I know precisely, here too.

Quote:
You will cry blue murder if I told you that a friend picked up a used Teana for, hold your breath, 8 lakhs!
Wow! Now that's a steal.

Quote:
Sorted the list by fuel type and made my car win! I bought the SX4 Green.
Kudos! Enjoy the car.
Old 16th December 2010, 20:34   #29
BHPian

Congrats Lithium for the "Green" SX4. Yours is the first one I believe on the forum. Interesting read, I must say.
Some pics of the Green would be so welcome.
Happy mile crunching.
@gavinimurthy: I think SX4 means SeasonsX4.
Old 16th December 2010, 21:27   #30
BANNED

Congrats on your car. How about some pictures.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks