Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th December 2010, 19:35   #61
BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!

Found an issue with the windshield spray nozzles. Its been drizzling in Delhi today (and its getting cold!). Wanted to clean off the muck from the windshield only to find that the spray does not reach the top!

Thought it will be a small matter of adjusting those tiny nozzles, that even my 10 year old wagon R has, for the correct height, but what do I find? Whats the use of SIX sprays if they all fall on the same area of the glass?

I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-nozzle.jpg

There are no nozzles! The whole thing seems embedded with little scope of any adjustment, any views on this, SX4 users?

I still tried with a small thin wire, but it did not help much. One thing to raise in the impeding 1k first service.
Old 30th December 2010, 01:01   #62
BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying!(at least on Team BHP) SX4 Green Initial rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
Thanks Maglev, for your feedback on the Parking Sensors, but you did not elaborate on the problem. I was indeed thinking about installing one and was debating one with or without camera. Now with an actual owner suggesting otherwise, I need to know more.

The reason I was dissatisfied with my reverse sensors was that they never give you a very precise indication of what is or not behind the car.

eg: a dog sleeping on the road or parking spot.

The camera on the other hand give's you a clear view of what is behind. But please keep in mind that you pick a camera with night vision.
Old 30th December 2010, 10:42   #63
Senior - BHPian

The service center guys will help, I have seen them using needle to pierce holes and thus adjust water flow directions.

Also, can you please click a picture of the engine bay, which is not too close, rather covers the whole area ? The ones clicked till now are very specific to objects.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:14   #64
BHPian

Hi LithiumSunset , still wainting for your cost analysis to be uploaded, even though CNG is not available in Kolkata, but I still want to know the cost per Km benefits of the same.
Old 30th December 2010, 19:01   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
The reason I was dissatisfied with my reverse sensors was that they never give you a very precise indication of what is or not behind the car.

eg: a dog sleeping on the road or parking spot.

The camera on the other hand give's you a clear view of what is behind. But please keep in mind that you pick a camera with night vision.
Any recommendations on make/model? What about voiding the MS warranty?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
The service center guys will help, I have seen them using needle to pierce holes and thus adjust water flow directions.
I'm sure they can manage something..

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
Also, can you please click a picture of the engine bay, which is not too close, rather covers the whole area ? The ones clicked till now are very specific to objects.
Will do the needful. Its all overcast here in Delhi these days, but maybe for the engine bay the light will be good enough.

@musicmanaman: Hey, I need to dig that one out, there are some glitches and haven't had the time to iron them out. But I'll put it up anyway and I'll point the flaws in the post.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 30th December 2010 at 19:09.
Old 30th December 2010, 21:39   #66
BHPian

Have edited the file a little bit to reflect some current data.. (particularly on Fuel prices)...

LiSunset's - Sedans below 12lacs.xls

So, a little tweak here and a little tweak there and you can make any car win! Well, almost.

In this one, its the Green one that is shining...

Thanks to Smartcat, Dr.AD and Echo for their excellent inputs and the ready made data that I got to use...( http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-ranking.html ).

I wish I could find similar data for the VW Vento and the Etios. The list could be a little more complete.

The glitch is in the 'Faceoff' tab, can you spot it?

There are a lot of things I have missed, the TCO is not yet comprehensive, the data tab is not yet 'clean' etc. etc. But enough of 'spreadsheeting', its time to enjoy the car!

Mods, why don't you allow uploading of Open Office documents?
Old 31st December 2010, 00:23   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Any recommendations on make/model? What about voiding the MS warranty?

Sir as long as you don't cut any of the original wiring of your car your warranty is intact completely. I got this confirmed by my dealer. In fact he went on to the extent that any modification done to the interior will not void warranty. Which includes ICE, seat covers, lighting etc.
Old 31st December 2010, 01:11   #68
dot
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant write-up. Congratulations. Some more thoughts below, inside the quote box.

Quote:
but the ugly duckling has turned even uglier in the new transform(ation). Sometimes I feel that the Koreans just simply cannot put the outside and inside together.

Ha ha ha. How true. I have spotted more Porches on the road than the new Verna transform. Feel sorry for the poor salesmen who have to deal with such a lousy looking car.

“Why are these guys selling their new Lineas? Something must be wrong with them.”

Agree with you, the 1.3L (or is it 1.4L) petrol engine is too underpowered to drive the Linea.

(Honestly, is there anyone who changes gears looking at the tacho?)

Well, honestly, I do!
Drove a relative's all-petrol SX4 on Cochin roads today. Can relate with your observations. Specially the tall stance of the driver's seat which helps in bumper to bumper traffic. Also the engine growl around 2k rpm is very nice to hear. Do you get that in the CNG version also?

Last edited by dot : 31st December 2010 at 01:13.
Old 31st December 2010, 13:05   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maglev View Post
Sir as long as you don't cut any of the original wiring of your car your warranty is intact completely. I got this confirmed by my dealer. In fact he went on to the extent that any modification done to the interior will not void warranty. Which includes ICE, seat covers, lighting etc.
I share with you a Live chat I had at SX4 Helpline, just now. This one isn't as hilarious as the one I had last time, but all the same:

Welcome to Maruti Suzuki Online Customer Service.
The session has been accepted.
{SX4 Online Support} Thank you for contacting Maruti Suzuki India Limited Interactive Chat Service. How may I assist you?

{LithiumSunset} Hello

{LithiumSunset} I bought an SX4 this month

{SX4 Online Support} Greeting Sir!

{LithiumSunset} I wanted to install a reversing sensor in the car

{SX4 Online Support} Thank you for showing your interest in MSIL products.

{LithiumSunset} but the models available at the dealership are very limited

{SX4 Online Support} We will surely provide you the information, kindly confirm us your mobile number is 98******* and city Delhi?

{LithiumSunset} yes

{SX4 Online Support} Thank you for confirming your details.

{LithiumSunset} I therefore wanted to install a reversing sensor from elsewhere, one that has a built in gps device, touchscreen etc.

{SX4 Online Support} Sir, Kindly let us know which variant of SX4 you have bought?

{LithiumSunset} SX4 Green (how does it matter!)

{SX4 Online Support} Kindly be online for 30 seconds while I just check out the information for you.

{LithiumSunset} So my specific question was: IF no wires are cut, will Maruti Waranty be valid?

{SX4 Online Support} Thank you for your patience.

{SX4 Online Support} We wish to inform you that if you install the Accessories from non Maruti Network, your Warranty will laps. Further, we request you to kindly contact the nearest Maruti authorized dealer workshop as they well be able to help you regarding the same.

{LithiumSunset} Can you please tell me where on the service manual this is stated?

{SX4 Online Support} Sir, this is a company policy and in service manual you can get the details.

{LithiumSunset} Actually you did not answer my question: "If NO WIRES ARE CUT and proper sockets are used, will the warranty still lapse?"

{LithiumSunset} The reason I ask this is because the models available at the dealerships do not have the features that I am looking for.

{SX4 Online Support} Sir, the information you are looking for can be best provided by Maruti Suzuki shwroom workshop.

{LithiumSunset} What if I procure the sensor from outside and it is installed by Maruti dealership, will that prevent the lapse of the Warranty?

{SX4 Online Support} Sir, that will not be accepted at Maruti Suzuki workshop, for more details regarding same you can contact the Maruti Suzuki workshop.

{LithiumSunset} ok, I have one more question (I had to do this) What type of engine oil is recommended during the replacement at First service for SX4 Green, Mineral, semi synthetic or synthetic?

{SX4 Online Support} Sir, we request you either get details from manual or contact any Maruti Suzuki workshops as the information you are looking for can be best provided by Maruti Suzuki workshops.

{LithiumSunset} Ok, Thank you

{SX4 Online Support} Would like to have any other information regarding Maruti Suzuki product and services. For any further assistance in regards to Maruti Suzuki, you may also get in touch with us on our 24X7 Customer Care help line numbers: 18001800180 (Toll Free) or +91 9910202020 or E-mail us at contact@maruti.co.in.

{LithiumSunset} NO, it seems you are not capable of providing technical information on this live chat. Happy new year

{SX4 Online Support} Sir, regarding technical information, I will request to contact nearest Maruti Suzuki Dealer Showroom, Maruti Authorized workshop, where Maruti Suzuki Engineers are available so that they will provide you more information in this regard.

{LithiumSunset} Sure, got that..

{SX4 Online Support} Happy new year

{SX4 Online Support} We hope we have addressed your query. Please feel free to revert to us, if you require any further assistance. Thank you for using MSIL Interactive Chat Services.

The last line is particularly interesting! So how do we bell the cat? For me a verbal promise by the dealer rep. is no promise at all..

(PS: The above conversation has been edited to preserve continuity and reduce length of the post).

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 31st December 2010 at 13:17.
Old 31st December 2010, 14:31   #70
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice chat post.

Most online chats in the automobile industry do not solve the technical issues and even when we contact telephonically the front line guys are normally not prepared to give any definate info. They at the most will direct to the nearest ASC.

I do feel looking at your washer nozzles snap that they can be be adjusted and the three holes that we see must be inside a ball bearing of some kind that entirely adjusts. Authorized guys must be asked to adjust the water flow and if it cannot be adjusted they need to replace the part under warranty.

For all electronic components that we installed from outside even if it is because the part is not available with the authorized guys maruti can always take a stand that this voids the electronics warranty even if not wires are cut as even then the voltage and current ratings may vary from the original design, and cause a ECU failure. This rarely happens and yet this is the safe stand that they take.

So sadly unless our relations with the dealer / service centre is great and he says go ahead, addtional components can't be added without an impact on the warranty.
Old 1st January 2011, 21:42   #71
BHPian

Congratulations on your SX4, LithiumSunset.
Thanks for a good read.
Drive safe.
Old 2nd January 2011, 18:57   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangusta View Post
Congratulations on your SX4, LithiumSunset.
Thanks for a good read.
Drive safe.
I enjoyed your account of buying the SX4 too and it helped me make up my mind.

I have a general question (to you and other SX4 users): What kind of Engine oil is used for this car? My first service is about to come up..

I tried asking the SX4 chatline, but those people are there only for answering general questions. They suggested asking the service center.. The manual gives only a preferred no. of 5W-30 for a temp. range of -30 degC to +30 degC and two options of 10W-30 (-20 to +30) and 10W-40 (-20 to +40). For people in north India (or for that matter, anywhere in India except maybe Ladakh!), why shouldn't the last alternative be the preferred one?
Old 2nd January 2011, 19:27   #73
BHPian

Quote:
.. What kind of Engine oil is used for this car? My first service is about to come up..
I forgot to add: Mineral, synthetic or semi-synthetic, though I know that mineral is recommended for the first service replacement..
Old 2nd January 2011, 21:51   #74
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There are no nozzles! The whole thing seems embedded with little scope of any adjustment, any views on this, SX4 users?
This is an interesting question. I have not yet noticed whether the spray nozzles are adjustable or not. I did not feel any issue with the spray yet, and hence did not look for any adjustment. However, I do feel that there is a problem with the windshield washer mechanism. The problem is that when you use the washer, the wiper actually starts a couple of seconds before the spray, and thus there is one dry wipe. This is really bad for the windshield. Did you notice this problem too?

I wish there was a way to switch off automatic wiper movement when the spray is used (i.e. I would like to spray as much water as I need and then manually start the wiper). But there is no way to either change the timing of the wiper movement or to disable this "feature". Due to this, I am very reluctant to use the windshield washer in my SX4. Bad design!
Old 3rd January 2011, 00:38   #75
BHPian

I've used CNG for 5 years with regular Shell Mineral oil. No problems. CNG hardly oxidizes and/ or degrades oil, another benefit of the fuel.

Another bit of advice - CNG cars need better breathing, more so than conventional fuel vehicles. I'd recommend a K&N panel air filter after your free services expire. The reduced airflow restriction helps in a big way. Again, this is something I've tried and tested. The fact that you never have to buy another air filter is also an added bonus.

Just make sure you swap your original back when you take the car in for service. Service stations don't like K&Ns and threaten warranty lapse if they catch you using one.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks