Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2011, 11:07   #76
BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
This is an interesting question. I have not yet noticed whether the spray nozzles are adjustable or not. I did not feel any issue with the spray yet, and hence did not look for any adjustment. However, I do feel that there is a problem with the windshield washer mechanism. The problem is that when you use the washer, the wiper actually starts a couple of seconds before the spray, and thus there is one dry wipe. This is really bad for the windshield. Did you notice this problem too?

I wish there was a way to switch off automatic wiper movement when the spray is used (i.e. I would like to spray as much water as I need and then manually start the wiper). But there is no way to either change the timing of the wiper movement or to disable this "feature". Due to this, I am very reluctant to use the windshield washer in my SX4. Bad design!
To me it looks like the water jet precedes the wiper movement by a few seconds. I am using the wiper with the water jet quite often and there are absolutely no scratches/sleeks on the wind shield.

However the 'independent' spray option will definitely give us more peace of mind.

Murthy
Old 3rd January 2011, 12:41   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AD View Post
...I wish there was a way to switch off automatic wiper movement when the spray is used (i.e. I would like to spray as much water as I need and then manually start the wiper). But there is no way to either change the timing of the wiper movement or to disable this "feature". Due to this, I am very reluctant to use the windshield washer in my SX4. Bad design!

+1 to this, my car gives the same behaviour of starting the wipe before any water reaches the windshield. I too wish the wipers started after a delay, but so far, no scratches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavinimurthy View Post
To me it looks like the water jet precedes the wiper movement by a few seconds. I am using the wiper with the water jet quite often and there are absolutely no scratches/sleeks on the wind shield.

However the 'independent' spray option will definitely give us more peace of mind...
You seem to be the only lucky one who's got it right in your SX4..
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
I do feel looking at your washer nozzles snap that they can be be adjusted and the three holes that we see must be inside a ball bearing of some kind that entirely adjusts. Authorized guys must be asked to adjust the water flow and if it cannot be adjusted they need to replace the part under warranty. ...
I hope that the nozzles are adjustable. Since the action of the wiper is fairly fast, the water does move 'up' due to the centrifugal force, so maybe it is supposed to work this way. Another benefit is that there is no last drop trickle after the wipers have stopped, something that the Lineans found delightfully solved by a delayed last wipe.

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 3rd January 2011 at 12:57.
Old 3rd January 2011, 18:04   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
I've used CNG for 5 years with regular Shell Mineral oil. No problems. CNG hardly oxidizes and/ or degrades oil, another benefit of the fuel.

Another bit of advice - CNG cars need better breathing, more so than conventional fuel vehicles. I'd recommend a K&N panel air filter after your free services expire. The reduced airflow restriction helps in a big way. Again, this is something I've tried and tested. The fact that you never have to buy another air filter is also an added bonus.

Just make sure you swap your original back when you take the car in for service. Service stations don't like K&Ns and threaten warranty lapse if they catch you using one.
Thanks for your heads up on the oil. I am thinking about the filter after the free services. Just wondering, don't the service guys know that you are bringing back an unused stock filter, when you do a swap with the K&N before taking the car to the service station?

I remember that I tried to throw about my 'expert', tbhp acquired, knowledge about the K&Ns at a nearby MS showroom. The guy simply answered, "...never heard of such a thing". When I told him that one needn't ever buy a new filter, he was dumbstruck! That was indeed amusing..
Old 3rd January 2011, 19:59   #79
BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying! (at least on Team BHP): SX4 Initial review

Quote:
Originally Posted by LithiumSunset View Post
  • ... Cold start on CNG is possible, but is it recommended? The manual is silent on it...
Found a note in the Supplementary Owner's Manual for Vehicles fitted with CNG Fuel System:

"Note: It is always recommended to start the vehicle in AUTO MODE or PETROL MODE to enhance engine life". The same page (6) tells about how one can use the forced CNG mode if you run out of petrol, (though it is always the other way round!).

On another page (13), it recommends to run the vehicle on petrol mode for 5-10km after every 300-500km run in CNG mode to keep the fuel system in good condition.

Have you been good to your SX4 green?
Old 9th January 2011, 12:37   #80
BHPian

Quote:
On another page (13), it recommends to run the vehicle on petrol mode for 5-10km after every 300-500km run in CNG mode to keep the fuel system in good condition.
Yep, that's a wise course of action. Petrol every now and then helps lubricate your fuel system and prevents the degradation of the petrol in your fuel tank (by using it up).

In non- factory fitted cars, it helps with the seals but in the SX4 Green, MUL has wisely hardened the seals so no issues there.

Quote:
Thanks for your heads up on the oil. I am thinking about the filter after the free services. Just wondering, don't the service guys know that you are bringing back an unused stock filter, when you do a swap with the K&N before taking the car to the service station?
Nah. Most MUL service guys wont think twice. I'd finish the free services first and then swap. K&N filters don't really add the power that most people think they do. They just let the engine breathe a tiny bit better. But in CNG cars, that tiny bit makes a huge difference!
Old 9th January 2011, 15:41   #81
BHPian

So do you end up replacing and therefore paying for a 'new' filter everytime?

I know what someone is going to say, "Nothing comes for free!".

Last edited by LithiumSunset : 9th January 2011 at 15:42.
Old 9th January 2011, 18:29   #82
BHPian

I dont believe Maruti replaces the filter each service, do they? Clean it maybe.

Either way, you can ask for them not to replace it and see how that goes down.
Old 12th January 2011, 19:37   #83
BHPian

Captured this magical no. recently and soon it was time head to the A** for the first service.
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-magic-no-888.8.jpg

The engine bay looked dirty
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-dirty-engine-bay.jpg

So they gave it a thorough hose down and a shampoo
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-shampoo-hose-down.jpg

Then came the tricky heart in you mouth moment, the behemoth had to be taken upstairs in a lift! A lift clearly too narrow for a car of this size.
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-tightfit.jpg

But they managed
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-tight-fit-phew.jpg

Phew!

The car was jacked up and generally inspected and a show made of checking a few nuts and bolts, what else is there in the first service, really?

I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-all-jacked-up.jpg

The Oil filter was changed
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-oil-filter.jpg

The car was brought back on its own feet and they poured oil using a 'jugaad' (improvised) funnel. All 4.3 litres of it. I insisted on regular mineral, though they did try to foist the synthetic on me but relented. Thanks to the million hours spent on TBHP, I saved money.
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-jugaad-funnel.jpg

But I could not argue myself out of this one
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-additive.jpg
I protested, "its not mentioned in the service manual". "You see Maruti hasn't printed one specific for the Green one! Its recommended now and one dose at 20000 km", was the reply. I may have been had...

Then they took the car down, this time I wasn't there to risk my heart, but it looked all shiny and clean
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-shining-engine-bay.jpg
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-shining-engine-bay-2.jpg

Since that expensive additive had been added, I let the car run on petrol for about 50-60km when I ran out of CNG, then I headed to the station, and the CNG gods were smiling that day
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-sometimes-you-lucky.jpg

The pressure was about 300psi and the car took almost 10kg of gas, I was happy to see four green lights on the CNG display! Yay!

So after the first service, what do I feel? Nothing new, the drive is just as great and I am now tending to revv up a little more than 2500 rpm. The wiper spray got rectified due to the concentrate that they poured.

Total damage was Rs.2289 (228 for the filter, 15 screen wash concentrate, 533 for 300ml aditive, 1514 for the oil).

But I noticed something peculiar when the car was jacked up
I bought a car that no one is buying! Maruti SX4 with factory-fit CNG!-paint-job.jpg

The paint was evenly uneven all around below the door line, as if the paint had been, on purpose, left 'unpolished'. Is it the case with some cars? And why? The Alto (or was it an 800?) on the neighbouring jack was not like this..
Old 12th January 2011, 20:38   #84
Senior - BHPian

This is there on my Swift Zxi too. I was advised that MUL does this as a sort of protection from the debris that flies from the tires to avoid chipping of paint etc. Guess they do it on their top of the line models.
Old 12th January 2011, 21:16   #85
Senior - BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying!(at least on Team BHP) SX4 Green Initial rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I said it before and I will say it again, Blue in any shade is a beautiful colour. Neat installation of the CNG kit by Maruti, shame about the gas filling though it should have been like the Wagon R. Another thing I would like to see is the auto air con atleast as an option on the CNG variant.
I kinda like this arrangement. Anyways its the pump guys that are inconvenienced.

The filler bolted to the body side (w/o fuel door) ruins the clean look. Filler in boot is inconvenient when trunk is full of luggage.
Old 13th January 2011, 10:06   #86
BHPian

Re: I bought a car that no one is buying!(at least on Team BHP) SX4 Green Initial rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
I kinda like this arrangement. Anyways its the pump guys that are inconvenienced.

The filler bolted to the body side (w/o fuel door) ruins the clean look. Filler in boot is inconvenient when trunk is full of luggage.
The CNG Wagon R has the filling nozzle next to the petrol inlet and is hidden by the lid/fuel door. I am more concerned about the inevitable scratches on the paint work. I am happy that the pump guys do it, day wouldn't be far when some will refuse!

@khoj: I too thought that it was good to have that extra thickness to the paint in that area.
Old 15th January 2011, 19:44   #87
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I enjoyed your account of buying the SX4 too and it helped me make up my mind.

I have a general question (to you and other SX4 users): What kind of Engine oil is used for this car? My first service is about to come up..

I tried asking the SX4 chatline, but those people are there only for answering general questions. They suggested asking the service center.. The manual gives only a preferred no. of 5W-30 for a temp. range of -30 degC to +30 degC and two options of 10W-30 (-20 to +30) and 10W-40 (-20 to +40). For people in north India (or for that matter, anywhere in India except maybe Ladakh!), why shouldn't the last alternative be the preferred one?

When I got my car serviced the lst time the MASS had used Idemitsu Semi Synthetic oil. Tat was some time back. I had heard some where that MSIl had shifted to Mobil 1 but I have my doubts on that as MSIL would not like to hike the cost of ownsership.

My 30 K service is due in a few days and will confirm at that time.
Old 15th January 2011, 23:07   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajneeesh View Post
When I got my car serviced the lst time the MASS had used Idemitsu Semi Synthetic oil. Tat was some time back. I had heard some where that MSIl had shifted to Mobil 1 but I have my doubts on that as MSIL would not like to hike the cost of ownsership.
I am not sure on this one, but Maruti seems to have shifted to synthetic oil, brand I am not aware of.

Our first oil change is at 10,000 kms. Then afterwards, every 15,000 kms. This is a bit odd IMO as even for synthetic oil I prefer 10-12 K kms. interval due to our operating conditions.

Not Mobil 1, but MSIL has most probably shifted to synthetic.

About CNG efficiency, I got 26.8 in Waggie CNG ( which is what Maruti claims for Waggie in CNG mode ). I drove a bit fast for a bit of a distance i.e. more than 100 kmph.
Old 16th January 2011, 11:38   #89
BHPian

try to stay away from the fuel additives, especially the one's that are lesser known. They are needlessly harsh on the rubber components in the fuel system.

Instead, try sourcing Chevron Techron or Redline SL1. These are the best additives money can buy in the States but hard to find in India.
Old 4th February 2011, 19:17   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwdriva View Post
try to stay away from the fuel additives, especially the one's that are lesser known. They are needlessly harsh on the rubber components in the fuel system.

Instead, try sourcing Chevron Techron or Redline SL1. These are the best additives money can buy in the States but hard to find in India.
I'll try to get these additives, but the service fellow said the next one is due only at 20000 km, so there is time for that.

There was a first hiccup for me today. The car had to be parked in the its-getting-warmer-by-the-day sun. Thought we'll vent the car a little bit and rolled the windows open. However the left window did not roll up... All thoughts got diverted to "ab kya karein!". I was in Gurgaon very far from my service centre and we still had a few more stops to make before we returned.... Anyway it finally did roll up after a little bit of cajoling and helping hands. Tried it again a little later, but everything was OK.

Couldn't quite explain it, other than the fact that earlier the engine was not running...

Any body else face this issue?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks