Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2011, 00:27   #106
BHPian

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

Misquitas,

This is one of the best ownership threads I have come across in this forum. You have brought out some wonderful insights and comparisons through your thread which is really useful for first-time buyers like me. Congratulations on a great buy and may you continue to have a worry-free ownership experience.
e-katz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2011, 00:38   #107
BHPian

re: Snow I-te(n) and the five 'dwarfs' : 2010 Hyundai i10 1.2 EDIT: 1.47 lakh km completed!

Quote:
Originally Posted by e-katz View Post
Misquitas,

This is one of the best ownership threads I have come across in this forum. You have brought out some wonderful insights and comparisons through your thread which is really useful for first-time buyers like me. Congratulations on a great buy and may you continue to have a worry-free ownership experience.
I've thanked you in the icon format, so no point duplicating it in the written format. But I'm glad that this thread has been of interest to you. However, I'm sorry I'm not into the technical aspects of the I10 and you may have to look elsewhere in this forum (there was a recent I10 test drive by Stratos). You'll get some great expert opinion there.

I have logged nearly 4500 kms on the i10 and I can't really fault the car -- except though that it is running on petrol and petrol prices were hiked yesterday. When I bought the car in December 2010, petrol was about Rs 56; now it is almost Rs 65. Clearly, I'll now think twice before going on those relaxing drives on a Sunday evening.

The I10 is one heck of a car. For those who cannot afford a sedan and who want a premium feel in a hatch within a budget about Rs 4.5-Rs 4.7 lakh, the I10 1.2 Magna is perhaps the best all round car at this moment. It may not excel in any one feature, yet it has so many nice little things in its favour. If only a diesel engine had been available in the I10...
Old 16th June 2011, 16:58   #108
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
I have logged nearly 4500 kms on the i10 and I can't really fault the car -- except though that it is running on petrol and petrol prices were hiked yesterday. When I bought the car in December 2010, petrol was about Rs 56; now it is almost Rs 65. Clearly, I'll now think twice before going on those relaxing drives on a Sunday evening
Could you please update us on the mileage you are getting? This will definitely help the potential buyers in decision-making, especially since the petrol prices are hiked extensively.
Old 21st July 2011, 02:39   #109
BHPian

I10: Goa-Thane-Mumbai-Thane-Goa trip and FE

We recently undertook a Goa-Thane-Mumbai-Thane-Goa in our I10 between July 10 and July 17. The route we took to Mumbai was as follows: Porvorim-Ponda-Anmod-Belgaum-Pune-Mumbai and the same route was used to return to Goa.

The Pune-Bangalore NH4 expressway was really nice and the Mumbai-Pune expressway was even more spectacular. Our 3-yr-old daughter loved the tunnels along the way. I was not interested to beat any land speed record and was more than content to drive at 90-100 kmph along the expressway. We made three stops during both journeys along the NH4 and we took approximately 14 hours to cover the Goa-Thane and Thane-Goa route. Our return journey was, however marred by heavy rainfall between Thane and Lonavla as well as heavy rain along with heavy fog along the Anmod Ghat.

For a person used to driving conditions (less traffic, open roads) in Goa, traffic in Mumbai and Thane during peak traffic was a nightmare. Thankfully, I was not beating any deadline and hence, I could bear up with the bumper-bumper traffic. The I10 performed really well and the smooth gear shift, light steering and good pickup were a real blessing for us in busy traffic, in comparison to our similar Goa-Mumbai-Goa drive in our Alto LXI 800 in October 2010.

Poor visibility due to heavy rains led us to accidentally go over 2-3 pretty nasty potholes along the way. During the entire trip the I10 did not give us any problem whatsoever. My wife did, however, observe that the ride was a bit bumpy at the rear along certain parts of the route.

I was keen to do a fuel economy test on the I10 and this trip provided a perfect mix of various driving conditions. The 1600-odd km drive in the I10 had the following factors...

* 3 adults and a child
* Boot space packed with various kinds of luggage
* 900 kms of good-to-very good driving conditions (NH4)
* 700 kms of poor-to-average driving conditions (heavy traffic in Mumbai and Thane, average road conditions in and around Belgaum, ghat area at Anmod, potholes between Londa and Collem, heavy rains during some parts of the journey, etc)
* 95% use of AC during the entire route

Given the various abovementioned factors, I wanted to calculate the FE of the I10. I topped up fuel (auto-cut off) at Porvorim before and at the end of our journey, with smaller refills at various places along out route.

The FE on our I10 was as follows:

Total distance covered: 1633 kms
Total petrol consumed: 104.08 litres
Fuel economy: 15.69 kmpl

Given the above driving conditions, I was quite satisfied with the FE, especially considering the bumper-bumper traffic in Mumbai and Thane.

Readers of this thread may be aware that the previous FE readings on my I10 have been 18.74kmpl, 17.47 kmpl and 17.59 kmpl. These three FE readings were obtained under better driving conditions.
Old 31st August 2011, 00:34   #110
BHPian

I have recently completed 8000 kms on my I10 and the car is performing as good as before.

By the way, I have been getting phenomenal fuel economy during my last two FE readings here in Goa:

1. 268 kms / 12.7 ltrs = 21.1 kmpl
2. 448 kms / 23.57 ltrs = 19.01 kmpl

Both these last two readings were obtained in mixed driving conditions, ranging from heavy city traffic to light inter-city traffic. AC was minimally used during this period. In both cases, I used the auto cut-off system at the same dispenser of the same petrol pump. The 21.1 kmpl reading is the best that I have obtained so far. I had initially thought that I had made some mistake in the calculations, but the second FE reading of 19.01 kmpl reinforced my FE test calculations.

We encountered heavy rains during an inter-city drive on Sunday and while were were moving at about 40 kmph, a small branch fell on our car's bonnet and nearly damaged our windscreen. Luckily, the branch missed the windscreen, but it caused a small dent on the bonnet. Will see if I can get that dent removed in the near future.

Last edited by misquitas : 31st August 2011 at 00:36.
Old 31st August 2011, 02:04   #111
BHPian

Those FE figures are too good to believe man.I m very surprised by your economy. I had almost rejected i10 because of poor efficiency reported by some members. But looks like it is indeed a very good car if driven properly.I did drive my friend's i10 and I did not like steering and low end response from engine. My Santro has better steering and response at lower gears.

Thanks for sharing your views about your lovely Car.
acroback is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2011, 18:53   #112
BHPian

I've said it before and I'll say it again -- the I10 CAN deliver an impressive fuel economy, dependent on the conditions. My previous posts on this thread will indicate that I have constantly achieved pleasant FE figures, with the exception of my Mumbai-Thane trip, where it dipped to about 15.7 kmpl, understandably because of the bumper-bumper traffic in these two cities. Incidentally, this 15.7 kmpl figure is the worst that I have got on the I10 so far.

Having said that, most roads here in Goa are better than in some parts of India and it is easier to attain better FE figures. Besides, I'm a sedate driver and try to change gears at about 2K RPM, while also shifting to the 5th gear whenever I reach 60-70 kmph.

By the way, my friend was travelling to Mangalore this afternoon, when he was unfortunately involved in a mishap somewhere at Udipi. A Kerala-registered I10 apparently struck one side of his Wagon-R, damaging both doors (which apparently need to be replaced).

Fortunately, there were no injuries to either occupants in the two cars. He was in constant touch with me regarding the mishap-related modalities. He did admit, however, that the I10 appeared to be a "solid" car, in comparison to the Wagon-R, since the I10 sustained minimal damage in the collision.
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:55   #113
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by misquitas View Post
By the way, my friend was travelling to Mangalore this afternoon, when he was unfortunately involved in a mishap somewhere at Udipi. A Kerala-registered I10 apparently struck one side of his Wagon-R, damaging both doors (which apparently need to be replaced).

Fortunately, there were no injuries to either occupants in the two cars. He was in constant touch with me regarding the mishap-related modalities. He did admit, however, that the I10 appeared to be a "solid" car, in comparison to the Wagon-R, since the I10 sustained minimal damage in the collision.
Thats some great FE you are regularly reporting for the i10 VTVT !

Regarding the build quality, it should not be concluded that one car is better built than the other simply based on the damage that happened to the cars in one particular accident. A lot depends on which particular area of the car got hit by the other car.

For example, my friend's i10 was T-boned by a Swift. Obviously in such a case the car that got T-boned suffered a lot of damage, whereas the other car had only minor damage on the front bumper. This accident cannot be used as an example to conclude that Swift is better built than i10.

Rohan
Old 2nd September 2011, 18:05   #114
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Regarding the build quality, it should not be concluded that one car is better built than the other simply based on the damage that happened to the cars in one particular accident. A lot depends on which particular area of the car got hit by the other car.

For example, my friend's i10 was T-boned by a Swift. Obviously in such a case the car that got T-boned suffered a lot of damage, whereas the other car had only minor damage on the front bumper. This accident cannot be used as an example to conclude that Swift is better built than i10.
Rohan
Quite true and that is exactly what I told my friend. He was, however, inclined to believe that the I10 had a more robust shell, as compared to the Wagon-R. Since I was not a witness to the accident and the angle/nature of impact, I did not comment further. I was, nevertheless, relieved that all occupants in both cars escaped unhurt.
Old 21st November 2011, 11:53   #115
BHPian

One problem i have heard from I10 owners is that it has no metal front cross member, everything is plastic upfront and in case of accident, though safe for driver, it is costly to repair. The salesperson however claims that he will offer complete bumper to bumper insurance coverage at a little extra cost.

Is it true? Does hyundai offers a bumper to bumper insurance coverage at additional cost? This factor is most important for us to decide whether to go for I10 or not.

Any i10 IRDE2 owners out there who could tell me about expected mileage.
Old 21st November 2011, 14:02   #116
hvs
BHPian

Some Insurance companies like TATA-AIG etc do offer Zero-Depreciation Insurance fro vehicles less than 3 years old for a slightly higher premium ( about 15 - 20%) , wherein one has to pay only a minimal amount like Rs.500/- and the rest is borne by the Insurance co. itself.
Old 22nd November 2011, 00:43   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rock75 View Post
One problem i have heard from I10 owners is that it has no metal front cross member, everything is plastic upfront and in case of accident, though safe for driver, it is costly to repair. The salesperson however claims that he will offer complete bumper to bumper insurance coverage at a little extra cost.

Is it true? Does hyundai offers a bumper to bumper insurance coverage at additional cost? This factor is most important for us to decide whether to go for I10 or not.

Any i10 IRDE2 owners out there who could tell me about expected mileage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hvs View Post
Some Insurance companies like TATA-AIG etc do offer Zero-Depreciation Insurance fro vehicles less than 3 years old for a slightly higher premium ( about 15 - 20%) , wherein one has to pay only a minimal amount like Rs.500/- and the rest is borne by the Insurance co. itself.
Not sure about the physical makeup of the bumper, but I too opted for the Tata-AIG 'Nil-depreciation' plan when I bought the i10 1.2 kappa2 in December 2010. I had to pay about Rs 2000 over and above the Rs 9000 insurance for the car. Not sure, though, if Hyundai offers a bumper-to-bumper insurance policy.

By the way, I'm glad that this thread is still being revived. We recently undertook a Mysore/Coorg trip in our i10 and I recorded the car's fuel economy which was inclusive of 100% AC across various types of routes.

The details of our travelogue are here:

CLICK HERE:

For those who do not have the time or inclination to go through a lengthy travelogue (some 9,000 words and 30 photos), the FE part of the section is quoted here:

"As mentioned earlier, we used the AC throughout our journey and given the fact that AC usage generally reduces the fuel economy by 1-2 kmpl, I estimated that our I10 would deliver around 15-16 kmpl (I normally get around 17-18 kmpl without AC use under mixed inter/intra city conditions). When I finally got down to the calculations, I was within the range of my estimates.

* Total distance covered: 1,744 kms
* Total petrol used: 104.76 litres
* Total cost of fuel: Rs 7,563
* Fuel economy: 16.65 kmpl

Our I10 had given us a comfortable ride and a satisfying fuel economy."

Apart from our Mysore/Coorg tour, our i10 fuel economy over here in Goa has been as follows: 19.01, 17.07, 18.22, 17.92, 17.26 and 17.10 kmpl. As always, these FE readings have been obtained through the top-up method of filling petrol from the same dispenser of the same pump.

Having said that, I realize that there is very little info on the IRDE2 variant of the i10 and not many members have sent in their FE data of the IRDE2. I would be interested in noting these figures, as we were very close to buying an i10 IRDE2 Era instead of the Kappa2 (Magna).

Last edited by misquitas : 22nd November 2011 at 00:45.
Old 13th December 2011, 15:52   #118
BHPian

A mileage update. Why i am updating in this thread is because the FE that misquitas gets has become my goal I am hell bent upon achieving it.

My November 2008 i10 Sportz which has run around 28000 kms returned its best ever 14.74 kmpl in Bangalore city conditions with about 80% AC(Shell fuel of course). I consider this very good!! Will continue using a lighter foot and check whether i can better it.

Note: I observe some lag in the reaction after i change a gear and press the accelerator pedal. For a few seconds it goes down but nothing happens. After a time lag, i can feel the pulling. So i thought i will not unnecessarily push it! so i now drive with a lighter foot and do not simply push it hard.
iPai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 19:20   #119
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPai View Post
A mileage update. Why i am updating in this thread is because the FE that misquitas gets has become my goal I am hell bent upon achieving it.

My November 2008 i10 Sportz which has run around 28000 kms returned its best ever 14.74 kmpl in Bangalore city conditions with about 80% AC(Shell fuel of course). I consider this very good!! Will continue using a lighter foot and check whether i can better it.

Note: I observe some lag in the reaction after i change a gear and press the accelerator pedal. For a few seconds it goes down but nothing happens. After a time lag, i can feel the pulling. So i thought i will not unnecessarily push it! so i now drive with a lighter foot and do not simply push it hard.
You may be surprised to learn that some i10-ians on this forum are getting even better FE on their i10 that my FE readings. Point is, the i10 CAN give decent-to-good FE provided the conditions are favourable.

Given the challenging road conditions in Bangalore, your FE reading is indeed good. But more important, even with the same road conditions, you can get a better FE on your i10 if you...

1. Drive sedately and with a light foot.
2. Change gears at about 2000 rpm.
3. Use minimal AC when possible.

I have noticed that I consistently get about 2 kmpl extra when I don't use the AC. to my luck, I work in the evenings and return home a little before midnight. Hence, my usage of the AC is at its bare minimum. But it all depends on one's AC preference and practical conditions.

Roads over here in Goa are less hectic as compared to those in Bangalore. Second, there is comparatively less smoke pollution over here and I prefer driving with my windows down and with natural breeze entering the cabin. This also minimizes the need for the AC. Conditions may not be the same in Bangalore and one may be forced to use the AC to avoid the exhaust fumes and dust during peak traffic.

An update on my i10. I serviced my car (3rd free service, 13,734km ODO) with Goa Hyundai at its Panjim workshop on December 12, a day before its first birthday. Told the service advisor that I did not need any injection cleaning and for a change, he admitted that if the car is running smoothly and without any problem, injection cleaning was not needed.

Since I needed the car by afternoon, I told him that a car wash as well as tyre rotation/balancing/alignment were not needed as I would do it elsewhere in the near future.

Bill came up to Rs 1070, which included an oil change and some consumables.

I washed the car at home this morning and it was looking as impressive as it did on December 13, 2010, when it arrived into our garage for the first time.

Our i10 has performed flawlessly all through this one year, with no hiccup, rattle/squeak/vibration and breakdown whatsoever. The quality fit and finish as well as interior refinement continues to amaze us.

It has taken us through three inter-state trips (Goa-Kolhapur-Belgaum-Goa, Goa-Mumbai-Thane-Goa and Goa-Mysore-Coorg-Goa), besides various parts of Goa, to our complete satisfaction.

I do agree that the rear seat ride quality could, and should, have been better, but that is something that I will have to live with it, while the i10 is with us. On the positive side, my wife and I are front seaters almost every time and hence, we do not suffer from the back-seat woes. Besides, roads along most of our routes here in Goa are good and the rear-seat blues are minimal.

Last edited by misquitas : 13th December 2011 at 19:42.
Old 14th May 2012, 12:19   #120
gpa
Senior - BHPian

Melvyn,

A great, honest write-up and I read through all eight pages of it. Thank you for your detailed review of your i10.

Your thread helped me and my folks a lot when finalizing between the Brio and i10. I must say, that it was a very tough decision to choose between the two cars, but in the end, I chose the Brio for the sheer refinement and driveability the iVTEC engine offers.

Will start a detailed ownership review thread of the car once she's in the garage.

Cheers,
gpa

Last edited by gpa : 14th May 2012 at 12:44. Reason: typo

Most Viewed