Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2011, 10:19   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Tata Safari GX 4x2 : 65,000 kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
What panel was replaced? The entire instrument panel?
Yes, the one that houses the Eng Temp, ODO, Trip meter, Speed and Fuel guage. The replaced this entire panel.
Old 24th October 2011, 18:48   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's when i realise that i have had a skirmish with the truck ahead. Now, i feel that he had taken a slight reverse or since my concentration wasnt there, my car may have taken slight forwards. Net result - a big dent on the left fender and left side of bonnet and the front left head lamp assembly disappeared into the roads.
Quote:
Yes, the one that houses the Eng Temp, ODO, Trip meter, Speed and Fuel guage. The replaced this entire panel.
Did you lose your instrument cluster in this accident? Sorry if I have missed any earlier posts, but in the above mentioned collision, there is no mention of instrument cluster, was the instrument cluster too claimed under insurance?
Old 1st November 2011, 12:04   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I am shocked to hear this. I havent had any issue as serious like yours. So far, so good. I will perhaps give it one more shot with them and see how it goes. I did write a mail to Anup Pillai at the Mysore road works on why i am a bit unhappy with them. Havent heard from him as yet.
To add to my previous comments, Anup's explanation for the missing floor mats was that they were cleaning up the place for TM's audit and all my mats must've gone along with the scrap! If my floor mats look like scrap to them, I'm thankful that I do not bring our 10+ year old Indica for service to this place, for them not to mistake it for scrap and dump it away!!! Unfortunate indeed.
dkamath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2011, 08:22   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker View Post
Did you lose your instrument cluster in this accident? Sorry if I have missed any earlier posts, but in the above mentioned collision, there is no mention of instrument cluster, was the instrument cluster too claimed under insurance?
The collision damanged only the fender, bonnet and the lamp assembly. I have been having contunual issues with the "Service Light" / "Engine Oil Temp High" lamps ( especially, the Allaudin Lamp )glowing on and staying on for sometime during my several long drives. The final resolution on this from Concorde, after several trips them is that the instrument was faulty and hence, they replaced this free of cost.
Old 28th November 2011, 15:07   #80
Senior - BHPian

It was more than 2 months that i havent been on a long drive. We had a marriage to attend at Chennai on the 26th and 27th and i was so very looking forward to this.

The T-Saf was packed when we left from Bangalore. We were 5 adults and my son who is 8 years old. The boot was filled with luggage. We got the car rolling at 5.30 AM on the 26th from JP Nagar.

Rains, rains and more rains greeted us. We faced extremely wet roads all along. The sun that took to a hiding was still cuddled inside the cloud blankets. Such weather, especially on a drive to Chennai is always nice. This however ensured that we could never cross the 100 / 100 KM/Hour mark.

The fully loaded ( people ofcourse ) T-saf was cruising very comfortablyl. Never skipped a beat, never a harsh pothole, no jumping on speed breakers etc..We made good time and reached Poonamalle at 9.30 AM. No stops anywhere.

My parents, who were initially insisting on me to book the train were happy with the ride.

Chennai was painful when i had to cross Kathipara. Boy oh Boy - bumper to bumper for end less KM's. The metro construction ( i wasnt aware) has taken a tool on the mount road. It took us an hour and half to reach T-Nagar from P'Malee.

The return journey was on the 27th, 1 noon. We had a very sedate drive to Bangalore. Lovely weather, less traffic after SriPerumpudur. We touch home at 5.45 PM.

The T-Saf returned a good mileage. I got about 13.1 KM/Hour. This was really one nice trip after a long time.

I am now inching towards the 15K mark on the ODO.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2011, 21:17   #81
BHPian

^^ I love to drive Safari in rain. We can literally feel the traction & grip on the pedals. Of course, rain makes sure that we dont cross 100KMPH which is something my wife cant do, but the rain can
I too had a recent rainy trip to Chennai [on the Kolar - Chithoor route]. It was nice too since all the other smaller vehicles and sedans dont have that confidence to cruise.

Prem.
kaviprem is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2011, 09:52   #82
Senior - BHPian

Completely agree Prem. Its a bit of a paradox you know - the grip is good, the vehicle is planted and cuises, and yet, you dont feel like pushing the pedal any more than 100. The bigges issue that i encountered are the vehicles coming in the wrong side. It used to be autos/cycles/tractors a couple years back, but these days, you see Trucks, Trailers and even Govt Buses doing this. So terrible.

I also observed a very unusual pattern at the Hosur Toll - both ways. This was the only toll that a few people were tyring to cut across instead of following a line. I wonder why ? All other tolls were so smooth and disciplined, but for this one.
Old 25th December 2011, 12:47   #83
Senior - BHPian

Good Floor Mats for the Beast ?

Hi -Where can i buy new Floor Mats for the Safari ? The one at the driver side has given away and i desperately need to change this.

I am itching for my next looooong drive - starting this 27th morning. Off to the Beaches at Karnataka. Shall post more when i am back.
Old 25th December 2011, 12:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

Try Metro Cash and Carry, I have bought the mats from there and they have lasted me more than 2 yrs now.
Lukeskywalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th December 2011, 13:01   #85
Senior - BHPian

Thanks LSK. But, i dont have the Metro Card with me. They wont allow me in. :(.
I'll check with one of my fried who has the Metro card to come along with me. I'll go and check it out this evening. This place is very close to where i live as well.
Old 3rd February 2013, 11:09   #86
Senior - BHPian

Its been a year since i updated this thread. The following were experienced in the past year.

1. January - 2012 -A trip to Karwar with Family - brilliant and smooth drive, absolutely no problems what so ever
2. June - 2012 - Monsoon drives to Mangalore, Udipi, Mookambika, Subramanya, Augumbe etc..Unforgettable trip. The ride was at its best in some of those narrow and winding mountain roads
3. September 2012 - Trip to Karwar again, with friends this time.
4. Several trips to Coimbatore and back - atleast 6 of them in this period

All along, nothing that i had to worry about my car. Well behaved, brilliant and continues to swallow all the bad roads with ease.

Aah - the floor mats were replaced. There are some rattles from behind that i need to fix. The rubber on top of the brake pedal is wearing out and i can see the metal visible beneath it. Got to fix this as well.

The Reverse parking Sensor works, but the image that used to appear on the rear view mirror has disappeared. I get only the sounds and am managing with that. Got to fix that as well.

Yesterday, i was taking a left turn to enter the parking to the Gym that i frequent, and one Biker was trying to overtake me at full speed from the left with hardly any road space left - thankfully, i was dead slow with 30% of the turn done and suddenly heard some noise. The view from the left rear view mirror indicated the biker trying to understand the Safari rear bumper in close up. Stopped the car and made sure he and the car were alright. Let him go, despite me ending up with a loose bumper.

Otherwise, i continue to enjoy the ride. Will post a few latest pictures soon.

Oh, before i forget, the ODO is now > 30,000 KM.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2013, 11:25   #87
Senior - BHPian

Time for a quick update on the 4th service.

Gave the car to Concorde Motors - Mysore road yesterday. Quite some work pending on the beast. Besides the generic mandatory 4th service chekings, settings and service a few other things i wanted done are as follows.

1. Rear bumper ( left side ) that came out from its position and was hanging
Tata Safari GX 4x2 Update : Sold at 72,000 KMs-photo-1.jpg
2. Fix the Revere Horm image on the screen. Currently, i get only the sound alarm
3. Rubber beadings on the left passenger side peeling off. Asked them to fix new ones
Tata Safari GX 4x2 Update : Sold at 72,000 KMs-photo-2.jpg
4. Wheel caps - one broken and one missing.
Tata Safari GX 4x2 Update : Sold at 72,000 KMs-photo-3.jpg
5. Coin holder ( interior, the one adjacent to the 12 V cig lighter at the front ) - the spring gave way and this wont slot in proper
6. Fix some overall noises originating from different parts of the car on, when on rough roads. I guess i am so immune to all these noises these days
7. Wheel alignment and balancing - the vehicle was dragging to the left a bit

I also plan a quick visit to the 3M centre at JP nagar to get this some polish and interior cleaning. Its looking a bit dull these days and a visit to 3M will keep my car happy.

Will update more once i get delivery of the car later this evening.
jkrishnakj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 09:09   #88
Senior - BHPian

4th Service updates and costs :

I took my T-Saf after a very disappointing 4th service at Concorde, Mysore road. Amongst all that i was particular in they finishing, they still could not
1. Get the image back on the rear view for Reverse Assist Sensors.
2. They inform me after i go there for delivery that they dont have the part (not sure what its called, but a small "Bow" shaped part that fits, right above the Rear wheels. Its there in the picture above.

They kept my car for two full days, no updates what so ever and tell me such things after i show up to pick up delivery.

Besides that, the following were changed.

1. Outer Belt FR Mould LH
2. Mould LH RR Outer Belt
3. Rear Door Fixed glass LH mould
4. Wheel cover - 2 no's
5. 10 Gm wheel weight
6. Wind shield wash
7. Engine Oil
8. Assy Oil Filter
9. Air filter element
10. ATF gear box oil
11. Assy fuel filter Delphi
12. Front & Rear axle oil
13. Brake Oil
14. Bardahl - oil supplement
15. Bardahl Diesel combustion improver
16. Taper Roller bearing outer
17. Bearing taper roller LM 48548
18. Oil seal
19. Gasket FR Hub cover
20. Grease EP2
21. Kit pad assembly
22. Diesel decarbonising
23. Wheel balancing
24. Wheel alignment
25. Brake Pad R/P

A total of 21,500/.

Now, when i gave it for service, the SA told me that appropriate changes to oils will be done as reqd. I didnt bother to read the manual. On the noon of the second day, he calls and says that he is changing all oils and revised the estimate from 15 K to 21 K over phone. Since i was terribly tied up with client meetings, i just told him to go ahead but will talk to him in person.

When i met him for delivery and pointed out that the service manual doesn't talk of changing all the oils, he dismisses that as the old manual and was trying to talk a whole lot of stuff other than giving me a straight answer.

Talk of balancing work i had two calls that i had to take, and unfortunately, i didnt have the time. One of my office calls lasted an hour that i took from the service centre. The other call followed right after. So, no more conversations with the SA, but i paid my bills and was waiting for one of my calls to get over.

Now comes another shocker - they say that their systems are being upgraded and he cant give me a proper invoice . He gives me screen shots instead. Promised me that the invoice copy will be mailed to me the very next day. Its the third day today, and i think his e-mail is lost somewhere in the internet world.

Overall, a disappointing service experience.

Now, let me come to the T-Saf :

I filled fuel, and planned to go home thru the NICE road. Even when i was approaching the NICE road, i suddenly thought what had come to the car.

1. Absolutely ZERO noises from windows/glasses or any other places where some rickety noise used to come on and off
2. The engine seems super smooth - i switched off the music system just to listen to the engine, and i was terribly surprised
3. The pick up was terrific, not sure what changed
4. The gear shifts were even smoother

I hit the nice road, ran up to 100-110 KM/Hr and wow, the T-Saf clearly had a point of two for me, which is to keep him on the Highways more often. I then came back to my comfortable speeds of 90-100 and reached home at Kanakapura Road.

Performance of the Car : SUPER

So, a mixed reaction after the service, but when i think of how the car behaves, i tend to forgive Tata's service experience.
jkrishnakj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 10:25   #89
Senior - BHPian

Re: 4th Service updates and costs :

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
I took my T-Saf after a very disappointing 4th service at Concorde, Mysore road. Amongst all that i was particular in they finishing, they still could not
1. Get the image back on the rear view for Reverse Assist Sensors.
2. They inform me after i go there for delivery that they dont have the part (not sure what its called, but a small "Bow" shaped part that fits, right above the Rear wheels. Its there in the picture above.

They kept my car for two full days, no updates what so ever and tell me such things after i show up to pick up delivery.

Overall, a disappointing service experience.

Now, let me come to the T-Saf :

I filled fuel, and planned to go home thru the NICE road. Even when i was approaching the NICE road, i suddenly thought what had come to the car.

1. Absolutely ZERO noises from windows/glasses or any other places where some rickety noise used to come on and off
2. The engine seems super smooth - i switched off the music system just to listen to the engine, and i was terribly surprised
3. The pick up was terrific, not sure what changed
4. The gear shifts were even smoother

I hit the nice road, ran up to 100-110 KM/Hr and wow, the T-Saf clearly had a point of two for me, which is to keep him on the Highways more often. I then came back to my comfortable speeds of 90-100 and reached home at Kanakapura Road.

Performance of the Car : SUPER

So, a mixed reaction after the service, but when i think of how the car behaves, i tend to forgive Tata's service experience.

21k INR for a 40 k service? Can someone confirm that all these fluids had to be changed now?

Did you say you wanted # 14,#15 and #22 done?

Edit : why air filter now? Didnt they change it at 30k ?
jkdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th February 2013, 10:39   #90
Senior - BHPian

Looks like you had been given the 'special' treatment. Those pointed out by JK are just money spinners, at this point of time. And it should not have been done if you have not asked for it. Don't be surprised if the next time they fill in synthetic oil and charge you, I reckon, around 8k INR only for the oil.

21k is way to much.

Did they charge you for the wheel balancing and alignment?

And, whose was your SA?
HappyWheels is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks