Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th April 2011, 14:46   #196
BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Sorry to hear that sir.
I pray those marks will go away with the amway cleaner. Fingers crossed.

I had a similar incident, A bike just rammed my left ORVM of the vento and went off as if nothing happened. Luckily nothing happend. And this was just 2 hours after I got the car from the showroom
Old 12th April 2011, 15:01   #197
Senior - BHPian

Re: First Accident Report

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Questions:
  • I don't suppose a mild bump like that caused any damage but do you think I should get it checked anyway?
  • Should I take it into VW or friendly neighbourhood body shop?
  • When I restarted driving, noticed some groans and moans from Fraulein that didn't seem to be there before. Am I imagining things?
Hi Anoop, Terribly sorry to read this. Oh the pain of it all !
If there indeed was groaning and moaning, other than from your brain, please check whether the bumper is bent and is touching the tyre.
Other than that may not be anything really at that slow speed impact.
Since the Frau, sorry, Fraulein is white just go to a FNG and have him to touch up. If you had a touch up pen (white) you could have done it yourself !
Or come to Mumbai - I have one !

Good luck - now you are a scrape veteran !
Old 12th April 2011, 15:50   #198
Senior - BHPian

Hey

Sorry to hear this. But, I dont think its a serious damage. You ARE imagining those groans and moans.

And those blue marks will surely go away with good wax polish or "Formula1 Scratch Remover" kinds.

On the lighter side, "Ab kisiki nazar nahi lagegi. Tika lag gaya. Problem ye hey ki Neela tika lag gaya, kala nahi."
Old 12th April 2011, 16:05   #199
Senior - BHPian

Noop, I so curse myself on missing out an opportunity of this nature.
You, Dot and Remigton Steele have done a fantastic job in compiling the visit report. I am sure you guys had a great time!

With regards to your car, Man, i do feel sorry. Luckily it does not look too serious. However, to be on the safer side, do get the car hoisted and have a look beneath. Fingers crossed, all should be well.

EDIT: On the other hand, look at the brighter side - Your car has had its first scrape! And it is not that serious a damage either!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 12th April 2011 at 16:06.
Old 12th April 2011, 16:28   #200
BHPian

Quote:
My Fräulein completes 4000 km sometime this week. Yay!
Congratulations!

Quote:
Got a chance to visit the VW Factory at Chakan recently, thanks to a kind fellow BHPian. Bunch of us went and visited and had a whale of a time.
Hey, that was a nice report! Feels great to know that my car's engine is going to come directly from Germany.

Now the wait period definitely looks much more bearable! Looking at some of the incredible things VW is doing (as compared to other manufacturers in India), having a Teutonic bias is not such a bad thing at all!
Old 12th April 2011, 17:05   #201
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks all for the kind words. I wasn't injured at all but somehow feel tired and bruised inside. Not difficult to guess the reason: the realisation that your life and safety depend on other people is quite sobering. The "what if"s echoing through my brain all day long are probably making me feel like this: took half the day off and switched off my blackberry as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
What do you mean by groans and moans?
Quite possibly just the torque groans that happen everytime the brake is released. I switched the radio off after the bump so every noise got amplified.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilshantanu View Post
Dont worry, similar happened with my Vento in the car park, and the paint from the black car went after a little rubbing polish

I dont think you need to get it checked....
Thanks shantanu. I don't think I will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikon View Post
Sorry to hear that sir.
I pray those marks will go away with the amway cleaner. Fingers crossed.

I had a similar incident, A bike just rammed my left ORVM of the vento and went off as if nothing happened. Luckily nothing happend. And this was just 2 hours after I got the car from the showroom
That sucks. In fact the guy's immediate and unqualified apology was what made me shrug off the incident and move on. A guy had scraped my Swift similarly in Mumbai and instead of apologising had the nerve to tell me I wasn't parallel to the curb and that's why he scraped me. I gave him hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
If you had a touch up pen (white) you could have done it yourself !
Or come to Mumbai - I have one !
I am in Mumbai this weekend. Would like to take you up on your offer if it's not too much trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
On the lighter side, "Ab kisiki nazar nahi lagegi. Tika lag gaya. Problem ye hey ki Neela tika lag gaya, kala nahi."
Thanks for trying to making me feel better. It helps, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Noop, I so curse myself on missing out an opportunity of this nature.
You, Dot and Remigton Steele have done a fantastic job in compiling the visit report. I am sure you guys had a great time!
We did have a wonderful time and you can't even say I didn't invite you! Well, maybe next time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Now the wait period definitely looks much more bearable! Looking at some of the incredible things VW is doing (as compared to other manufacturers in India), having a Teutonic bias is not such a bad thing at all!
You know what- I was very sore at VW because of the way they ruined my waiting experience but now that I've seen what care and attention goes into creating the car, I am in much more forgiving a mood . VW will do its PR no harm by inviting people who're waiting for their Ventos for a factory visit.
Old 12th April 2011, 17:41   #202
dot
Senior - BHPian

Too late to express my condolences. Nevertheless, as folks have said, the first scratch is always the hardest. I remember a sage in our office who had once wisely said that life is full of scratches. This was when I was rueing the first scratch on the Ikon. I have a scratch removing polish at home. In case you are visiting this side of the town, do drop by, we can have a go at it.
Old 12th April 2011, 17:47   #203
BHPian

Quote:
You know what- I was very sore at VW because of the way they ruined my waiting experience but now that I've seen what care and attention goes into creating the car, I am in much more forgiving a mood . VW will do its PR no harm by inviting people who're waiting for their Ventos for a factory visit.
Ah, would be great to do a factory visit! A few years back, I was on an official assignment at Daimler Chrysler and got an opportunity to peep into the assembly line at the Mercedes-Benz plant at Pimpri. And boy, was I floored by the perfectionist attitude of everyone there! It's from then that I nursed the dream of owning a German car.
Old 12th April 2011, 18:11   #204
BHPian

Anup,
Those black marks on your Vent-OH's bumper look ghastly but they are a by-product of driving in Pune. Trust me it will go away or your eyes will get used to the miniscule ones left behind.
It is very unfortunate but like me you live in Pune where people don't like to see good new shiny cars. They want to leave some mark or the other by scratching , rubbing themselves or their vehicles against the new car. Well I hope you don't live in the city by any chance. That is a nightmarish place to drive a brand new set of wheels which I will be doing in the not to near future . Anyway beyond a point don't push it too much , its a plastic bumper. Better still put a T-BHP sticker on the damaged portion. Anyway I know one place near my house which does an amazing body work job as well as bumpers and makes them shiny new. Let me know if you need his details and I will PM those.
Old 12th April 2011, 21:15   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am in Mumbai this weekend. Would like to take you up on your offer if it's not too much trouble.
No issues at all my friend.Shall drop you a PM with my contact number and we can link up on Sunday.
(Damn ! Where the hell did that white touch up pen vanish ?!!)

See you then !
Old 12th April 2011, 21:54   #206
Senior - BHPian

Hey Anoop,
the first scratch always rips the heart. And one can feel the pain for days. As someone posted earlier this should come off with some rubbing polish. Or if you come over to this side of town as @dot mentioned i too have something to get rid of these scratches. But still nothing beats the good ol rubbing polish.
Drive safe!
Old 12th April 2011, 22:31   #207
BHPian

Noop, I completely agree with mdsaab.
The first scratch takes a lot of time to get the pain out of the spine, its heart breaking. Anyway, the good part is its a very very minor damage, a mild cutting compound or commonly known as scratch remover will get it away. Technically its called transfer of colour i.e. blue tranferred to your white. This can go away easily with minimal damage left behind, good part is it didn't expose the underlying black below the white paint; that would have a permenant mark/damage left behind.

Now don't start imagining that your car is behaving different. It was just a peck from other car which the crazy traffic imposes on us.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 12th April 2011 at 22:38.
Old 16th April 2011, 16:56   #208
Distinguished - BHPian

Afternoons and Coffeespoons

Don't you just love lazy Saturdays? My Facebook status today reads: "When you have spent a day doing nothing, you have learned to live"- old Japanese saying. At Mom & Dad's, am getting there!

Fraulein is quietly parked in an unfamiliar spot in the open for the past couple of days. She doesn't like being out in the open and is sulking a bit. So finally took her out for a quick spin with my nephew who is developing into quite the petrolhead.

Me: Where can you rev this baby up a bit in this bleeping city?
Him: Behind InOrbit?
Me: Let's go!

The stretch of road parallel to the Malad Link Road between Hypercity and InOrbit malls is quite lovely. Saturday afternoon it was quite deserted as well. Slotted the VW into S and redlined her in first, second and third gears. Since I was with a child and didn't want to break any speed limits it had to stop there.

But Fraulein was happy. She gulped a fair bit of fuel in her endeavours, though.

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0257.jpg
4.3 kmpl . Well at least it's a change from the hypermiling zealot that I seemed to have turned into. Ran a few errands for the ladies as well: while waiting took some random snaps.
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0256.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0253.jpg

It was nice to visit the tree-lined suburban streets where I grew up.
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0261.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0250.jpg

My baby is now 4000 km old. Growing up!
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-photo0246.jpg
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th April 2011, 19:57   #209
dot
Senior - BHPian

Re: Afternoons and Coffeespoons

Quote:

4.3 kmpl. Well at least it's a change from the hypermiling zealot that I seemed to have turned into.
Well now you know the range. Worst and Best. Useful find. Can help a Vento-rider decide what he wants; the cost of being a good boy or a bad boy!

BTW, your nephew must be a very happy boy today.
Old 16th April 2011, 21:06   #210
Senior - BHPian

@noopster cant believe you did that. But gonna have to believe you as you always have pictures to prove it. So now one knows if you rip the fuel efficiency is gonna dip and that too into the low fours or five tops. Well since she is run in why not have a few goes at it eh? I remember that once the civic was run it. I hit the highway one afternoon on a weekday. All alone. No music. Just the shifter in S. And the paddles in my hand revving the i-vtec almost till the limit. Aaah the sweet i-vtec almost on the edge was music to my ears. Till date though havent encountered the redline. And this post of yours inspires me to do just that.
Drive safe!

Last edited by mdsaab : 16th April 2011 at 21:09.

Most Viewed