Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2011, 01:00   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Some miscellaneous details about my new car search:
  • I started out confused between a diesel and AT Vento. GTO had crowned the TDi the new torque king of the C segment and the savings potential could not be easily overlooked. But in the end I went with my heart: have been a die-hard fan of slushboxes since very young, all the cars I've driven extensively so far have been petrol (including my BIL's Innova!) and most people predicted that the cost of diesel would fast catch up with petrol anyway.
  • ANHC AT was also test driven and quickly dispensed with. I feel I have been unfair to that car, which has a superb engine (116 BHP) and a sales and service network miles ahead of VW. But I totally hated the interiors (thought they were garish) and the fact that in Pune every Tom Dick and Harry drives a Honda City. Plus it's overpriced. In the end, an easy choice for me.
  • When VW showed no signs of wanting to deliver my car, I toyed with my also-ran choices: Skoda Laura DSG, Chevy Cruze LTZ AT and Toyota Corolla Altis AT. I even went and met the folks at Europa Skoda and Pashankar Chevrolet, also spoke to DSK Toyota people but Altis was never a true contender (I find that car utterly boring). Was blown away by the Laura DSG, not so much the Cruze. But they didn't respond to my repeated requests for a TD, so in the end took that as a sign, figured that the extra 6 lac could fund a few family vacations, and stayed true! I am keeping my options open on the Superb DSG though, as my next car
Pricing Details
  • The VW Vento 1.6 AT Highline costs 9,22,690/- ex showroom Pune. RTO charges were 68K. I paid an extra 6K for "special number" selection (XXYY format which is what my Swift also has). This is the first time I've paid for a number- seemed worth it.
  • Insurance quote from dealer was a ridiculous 36K- read on the Vento review thread that someone had managed a 21K quote from outside so followed the same route and with the help of fellow BHPian mmxylorider, got one in the same ballpark.
  • Corporate discount was 16K. I had to pay the whole amount and they will give it back as a cheque. Some paperwork was required for that but nothing too offputting.
  • Vidyut Motors (VW Pune) were absolutely clean in their transactions- no shady "miscellaneous charges" that other dealers apparently have been demanding (Gurgaon, Hyderabad if I remember correctly). I even got a receipt from the RTO for the 6K for the special number!
  • Accessories were an additional 22K. I figured I had saved enough from the insurance and the corp discount to splurge on accessories.
Accessories:
  1. Read on the forums that Vento has a big greenhouse thanks to the generous quarterglass and film is a must. Opted for VW premium film at 6900/- I know that film is available much cheaper elsewhere but I have a good feeling about this. Even my Swift has some amazing film that has lasted 5 years without showing its age while so many guys I know have crinkly cracking stuff on their much newer cars!
  2. Beige rubber mats, Vento branded doorstep protectors, black side protectors (@naveenraju- no I will NOT paint 'em white, think the contrast of the black strips and B pillar on the white body looks awesome!) and mudflaps were also added. Cheapo VW doesn't give ANYthing free, not even mudflaps.
  3. Am gonna get some flak for this, but I got a Teflon coating done at 4800/- My Swift has one thanks to its previous owner and I must admit it looks gorgeous even now. The universal opinion on TBHP seems to be -NO! Don't do it, but I did anyway.
  4. Net damage was 22375/- They generously rounded it off to 22K. I paid cash for this but they gave me receipt for everything and warranties and all.
  5. I so wanted to upgrade to the USB/AUX system since the Vento OEM is MP3/CD only, even for Highline trim. For some strange reason they advised me not to do this. Since I have a feeling the wifey will use this car more than me, didn't protest much. She's more an FM person anyway!
Final Points:
  • The car does get its share of attention, notably the kids who thought it was a Merc and an auto guy who nodded admiringly and asked if it was a new model at the fuel station. Like so many of you commented, white looks gorgeous (so does black incidentally, if only VW produced more of 'em!).
  • Upgrading from a Maruti, I still have o get out of "kitnaa deti hai?" mode but from what I see so far (too soon to tell) it should stabilise at around 8-9 in city and 13-14 on highway. The display was 5.6 kmpl when I got the car, a bit of a shocker, but it has now gone up to 10.4. Tank to tank will be the best method and will update the actual mileage details once I run her dry.
  • Tyre pressure is something I could use some help on from the Vento veterans here. I filled it to 33 (F)/36(R) based on the chart printed on the inside of the fuel lid, but that's making the ride a tad bumpy. The showroom guys had filled it to 30X30 at time of delivery.
  • I seem to have called right on VW Pune (Vidyut Motors, formerly Jay Vijay of Fiat dealership fame). Once my allotment was confirmed, they processed everything like clockwork. All commitments were met including final delivery schedule. All paperwork was perfect. I have to thank Vrushali and Vinayak who are actually back-office people but helped me out much more than my inept sales rep (I pointed this out in their feedback form as well) who is, by latest reports, no longer in the organisation. However this does not let off the hook the senior staff and management of the dealership that did not handle the delivery commitments issue well at all- in fact their whole attitude at the time was as if they are doing a giant favour by booking your VW for you. Anyway, all's well that ends well and the buying experience never tipped over from "indifferent" to "bad" (in fact the last week has been extremely pleasant!) so overall no hard feelings.
  • I will continue to post pictures, anecdotes, service details, milestones, travelogues etc. in this thread so do watch this space!
Thanks much for your patience and patronage!
Noops

Edit: Adding replies to new posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Ignore the flak from your friends about moving over to the AT club. Considering todays worsening traffic situations, AT is the way to go. Everytime I'm stuck in a jam, I pity the other users who just have to play with first and second gears, not to mention the poor left leg being on the clutch while I just have to let go of the brake to let my car creep forward ( I drive an OHC AT)
You bet. I have driven it barely an hour in total and already wondering how I will readjust to the Swift!

Quote:
As for your kick down query just drive with a light foot. The tranny knows when it has to downshift so it will do so when needed and it would require a light pus of the pedal. No need of pushing the pedal hard unless you are at higher speeds and want to overtake. Driving with a light foot will also get you good FE from the AT box too
Will keep that in mind thanks. I usually am pretty lightfooted ("smooth" is how it's usually described) but it's a new car and will obviously take some getting used to. But Rehaan also mentioned the kickdown thingy in his AT review the Vento thread. If you have access to one, can you do a TD and let me know if it's something I should worry about?

Quote:
OT: The side profile picture you have taken, is it at Pashan? Looks familiar
Yup- do you come over here anytime? PM me- would love to catch up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
Congratulations noopster.. Vento is really a good car. I even saw one white color vento that had its seats covered with plastic on senapati bapat road at around 7 pm..
That would have to be me! We went to Chaturshrungi for the mandatory obeisance and all, and then drove back to University and home beyond. Was a really awesome looking chap driving it? LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psbali View Post
And btw.. You didnt try getting the car thru B U Bhandari.?? I guess it would have been quicker.. Anyway now that you have the car in your hand it is alright.. And do not worry about crossing 2500 at times.. You are not supposed to always drive it at a constant revv. The running in should be a mix of every level. But yeah revving it beyond 2500 shouldnt be too frequent or for long.. Atleast till 1500 kms or so..

Enjoy one of the best cars in India..
Thanks man! BU Bhandari only just opened and I was going to go in their cold and ask them how much time they would take ec. but in the end Vidyut delivered. I am aware of the running-in funda myself, so thanks for the reassurance.

Last edited by noopster : 23rd January 2011 at 01:18.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2011, 07:16   #17
BHPian

Congratulations on Vento,

Drive safe and have fun.

White looks elegant.

Cheers
Raghu
Old 23rd January 2011, 08:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey noops. Congrats. A very well written report I should say. The wait finally paid off. I'm not a great fan of black side protectors. Even my Swift got the same and I changed them to white.
No offense dude, but liked where it's placed. Right at the bottom.

So, how much did you manage to squeeze. (I know it's too early). Any other accessories planned?

Happy driving dude. (I can definitely see that on your face from the pic. LOL)
Old 23rd January 2011, 10:12   #19
BHPian

Congrats Noopster.

It was a nice and crisp report.

Any long trips planned with the new AT?
Old 23rd January 2011, 17:20   #20
dot
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Your white Vento looks fabulous. The Black also looks nice but makes the car look a little smaller than what it actually is. If I see XXYY numbered white Vento I will know it is you and may honk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
[*]I started out confused between a diesel and AT Vento.
[*]Am gonna get some flak for this, but I got a Teflon coating done at 4800/- My Swift has one thanks to its previous owner and I must admit it looks gorgeous even now. The universal opinion on TBHP seems to be -NO! Don't do it, but I did anyway.

I guess most new car owner nowadays goes through this feeling. But I have a feeling that the comfort of an AT will more than nullify the so called savings of a diesel.

I am of the opinoin that Teflon coating really helps. My Ikon used to shine even after three and half years. I think you did a good thing.
Have fun and drive safe.
Old 23rd January 2011, 17:37   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on your Vento AT noopster.One of the finest AT boxes on this side of 15 lakhs.Ihre Herrin sieht gorgeous in Weiß
Old 23rd January 2011, 19:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Good nice to see the interior pics. I love the knobs (rotary) ones on the Vento and Polo. I generally do not prefer the type, but love the way it is put together on these variants

Go ahead for the Team BHP stickers, but would sujjest you dont done the car with them. Instead place them on the rear and front windshield. A white car is beautiful, if left to its entire flawless self
Old 24th January 2011, 02:18   #23
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new Vento AT. You would be thanking yourself in traffic for the 'defection'.
Jesal got a nice HU with multiple fetures for his vento - you can check out his thread.
Old 24th January 2011, 09:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Noopster!

Was really waiting for this thread with anticipation.

The white beauty looks really cool and the white beauty with an auto box makes it even more desirable. Auto box is such a heavenly thing in Pune traffic. I have driven Laura AT for few days in Pune traffic and it was like driving a Pulsar. Nothing to worry.

Would love to meet you and your beauty in person someday.

Happy for you!

No need to say Enjoy! I could feel the excitement in every word you've written here.

Hope you have a very safe and long relationship with this White Beauty.
Old 24th January 2011, 09:44   #25
BHPian

Congrats on the Vento AT. White colour looks stunning. Enjoy.

OT: It is Fräulein and not Fraülein (a - umlaut)
A350XWB is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2011, 10:59   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the Vento AT. The white color makes the car look very elegant.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the AT.
Old 24th January 2011, 11:21   #27
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Noopster. The car looks stunning.

Would be following this thread for further updates and travelogues. Also would be on the lookout for a VENTO with a Team Bhp sticker in Pune.
Old 24th January 2011, 12:48   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
So, how much did you manage to squeeze. (I know it's too early). Any other accessories planned?

Happy driving dude. (I can definitely see that on your face from the pic. LOL)
Hehe, yeah. This morning I was grinning like an idiot navigating the Hinjewadi traffic with just my right foot. I am planning to put in black and beige Stanley leather (VW quoted 20.5K, will check outside) since the original beige fabric is just too delicate and will not last long with an active kid in the back seat! Also wanted to leather-wrap the steering wheel (VW said it would cost 4-5K and 4 days in the shop!)- my Swift has a leather-wrap and I love the grip and feel of it. From my highway run the other night, the headlamps are inadequate but I don't want to void the warranty, so will slot that in as part of the roadmap (along with upgrades to fat tyres, maybe in 2 years!).
About kitnaa detee hai, I am fortunate that my daily run has a mix of highway and city traffic. Today's trip showed 11.6 kmpl, which I think is just fantastic (I am expecting 9-10 at best overall).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ventoman View Post
Congrats Noopster.

It was a nice and crisp report.

Any long trips planned with the new AT?
Thanks. Yes- will drive up to Mumbai next weekend and show off to the guys I grew up around- always a great feeling eh? Have to take care not to let her rip too much on the e-way though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Congratulations. Your white Vento looks fabulous. The Black also looks nice but makes the car look a little smaller than what it actually is. If I see XXYY numbered white Vento I will know it is you and may honk!
I am of the opinoin that Teflon coating really helps. My Ikon used to shine even after three and half years. I think you did a good thing.
That feels good to know! I am smiling at everyone who flashes/honks at me these days, assuming it is a TBHPian or just a car-frek showing appreciation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
Congrats on your Vento AT noopster.One of the finest AT boxes on this side of 15 lakhs.Ihre Herrin sieht gorgeous in Weiß
Danke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by A350XWB View Post
Congrats on the Vento AT. White colour looks stunning. Enjoy.

OT: It is Fräulein and not Fraülein (a - umlaut)
Oh dear it is, isn't it? This is why one shouldn't muck around with foreign languages! Thanks for pointing it out and for the good wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
Good nice to see the interior pics. I love the knobs (rotary) ones on the Vento and Polo. I generally do not prefer the type, but love the way it is put together on these variants

Go ahead for the Team BHP stickers, but would sujjest you dont done the car with them. Instead place them on the rear and front windshield. A white car is beautiful, if left to its entire flawless self
Yeah I know what you mean- in fact it gets my craw that the plates have the dealer's name on them- they would look so clean otherwise (advantage of a white car). I was thinking of only one sticker strategically placed at the back anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Congrats on the new Vento AT. You would be thanking yourself in traffic for the 'defection'.
Jesal got a nice HU with multiple fetures for his vento - you can check out his thread.
Like dreamcatcher, I love the knobs and overall feel of the HU which is why I am not planning to change it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Would love to meet you and your beauty in person someday.
Happy for you!
No need to say Enjoy! I could feel the excitement in every word you've written here.
Hope you have a very safe and long relationship with this White Beauty.
Sure man- we should meet up. Will get her for the next tapri meet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Congrats on the Vento AT. The white color makes the car look very elegant.

Do enjoy many more happy miles with the AT.
Thanks nkrishnap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Congrats Noopster. The car looks stunning.
Would be following this thread for further updates and travelogues. Also would be on the lookout for a VENTO with a Team Bhp sticker in Pune.
I don't have those yet! But look for an XXYY registration for now ok?
Old 24th January 2011, 13:09   #29
Senior - BHPian

A very basic question
Is the rear bench legroom the same as the Polo or better? Can you please post a pic with the driver seat at your optimum position?
Old 24th January 2011, 13:16   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Rear legroom is better than the Swift which is the basis of my comparison- have not sat in a Polo. But I do hear that the wheelbase is 50mm longer so would assume the Vento is more comfy. I usually have no more than 2 adults in the back and they assure me it was wonderful.

Will take more pics after I get the plastic off (feels awkward, like posting pics of yourself in undies LOL), then you can check for yourself!

Most Viewed