Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2011, 22:08   #121
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Thats funny. Does the manual shed any light on this aspect. Maybe the load on the car was forcing the tranny to kickdown, rather remain in lower gear. It happens in Civic also, specially while climbing ghats, the tranny refuses to go to M5 even at scheduled speeds when using S mode. But why would the D mode then make it go back to 6th gear. Maybe some experts can shed a light here.
In sports mode, the gears hold longer without up-shifting. In ANHC, when you use S mode, only 4 gears are used and the car never shifts to 5th gear. This must be the case with Vento too (which goes till 5th but never 6th).
ANHC also has a 'S' with paddle-shift mode where you can manually engage to even 5th gear.
Old 15th February 2011, 10:59   #122
Senior - BHPian

Yep thats right sports mode usually disables the top gear. This must also be the case in the vento.

In honda's the car analyses the gradient and the gearbox shifts accordingly. So even if in manual mode the car senses an uphill climb you might not be able to shift into fifth. I think this feature is called gradelogic.
[/b]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
In sports mode, the gears hold longer without up-shifting. In ANHC, when you use S mode, only 4 gears are used and the car never shifts to 5th gear. This must be the case with Vento too (which goes till 5th but never 6th).
ANHC also has a 'S' with paddle-shift mode where you can manually engage to even 5th gear.
Old 15th February 2011, 12:40   #123
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh wow is that a feature? My completion conplex refuses to accept S5 as top gear, LOL. Anyway my way is good- when I wish to cruise, just engage D, it moves smoothly to D6 and the rpm reduces as well.

I have a feeling S6 may engage at crazy high speeds which wil alas remain untested! Thanks for the inputs, people.
Old 15th February 2011, 16:13   #124
dot
Senior - BHPian

Guna, mdsaab, Thanks. Good to know these interesting bits.
Old 15th February 2011, 16:15   #125
Distinguished - BHPian

On a related note, .anshuman mentions in his Laura DSG ownership review that engaging S mode takes it only to 5th as well. I guess that's that then!
Old 15th February 2011, 18:50   #126
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
On a related note, .anshuman mentions in his Laura DSG ownership review that engaging S mode takes it only to 5th as well. I guess that's that then!
Thats because S mode is never meant for cruising.
Old 15th February 2011, 22:25   #127
Distinguished - BHPian

Some pics:

1000 km milestone

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-1000km.jpg

The magic run: 18kmpl on a 70km stretch of expressway

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-18kmpl.jpg
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2011, 08:32   #128
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey congrats. 18kmpl is great. So what's next? any updates on the car?
Old 16th February 2011, 12:18   #129
Senior - BHPian

@noopster and fraulein congatulations on the big 1000. So can we safely say that she is run in now? 18kmpl is simply fantastic! I like the fact that the germans come with a .5 adjustment on the ACC. The civic does not have it and only adjusts 1 degree at a time.
Old 18th February 2011, 21:57   #130
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks mdsaab. Yup, I should say the running-in is complete! I stayed faithful, running it at different RPMs and not exceeding 120 (well...ok maybe a couple o'times on the e-way!)

Today someone stole my front VW logo as well. I can't describe the feeling: it's like someone slapping your loved one in the dark and you have not idea who did it or why. My wife is livid but I am just resigned. The security guys suspect the guy who washes my car. I suspect them. My reasoning is why would the guy who earns his livelihood washing cars in my neighbourhood jeopardise it by stealing logos for which he would barely get 100-200 bucks each?

Everyone has a theory. Nobody has a solution.

My sweet Fraulein is now shorn of both her ornaments. My daughter asks in concern, "Papa what if he comes and steals the mirrors now?" A 4 year old has more sense and sensitivity than these idiots.
Old 19th February 2011, 00:29   #131
Senior - BHPian

no way not again. Its only been a few days since the back was stolen. Definately an inside job. It cant be the guy who cleans your car, you have employed him i doubt he would bite the hand that feeds him. It looks more like the security guys. Maybe next time when you chit chat with them, just let them know that you have installed a hidden cctv camera somewhere in your garage, and if anyone fools around with the car you would have proof of who did it and even catch them red handed. This should ensure no future incidents. What did you say to your daughter after she asked you that? Its tough to answer a question like that from your little one.
Old 22nd February 2011, 23:29   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks mdsaab. Over the weekend I made a big tamasha about the missing logo in full view of the drivers and my wash guy. Observed their reactions for anything suspicious but didn't notice anything out of the ordinary so decided to give them the benefit of the doubt. But did tell the security guy to keep an eye on them especially in the early morning when the washing happens (perfect oppty to steal a logo or two).

Anyway enough of that. My leathers should here sometime this week- can't wait to see and feel them! I tore the plastic off my driver's seat (can't stand that itchy plasticky feeling) but the rest of the seats are still sheet-wrapped till I get the skins on. Will do the front windscreen film job at the same time: 3500/- seems a good bet and hopefully it will reduce the glare of the moronic high-beamers on the Mumbai bypass.

There may be a weekend trip to Solapur for a wedding. 500km of highway driving yeah baby! Looking forward to that.
Old 23rd February 2011, 11:21   #133
Senior - BHPian

With two logos gone missing it was definately time for some tamasha. Glad you gave it to them.

Awaiting your review on the leather seats, fit, finish et all.

500kms you are making me Jealous with a capital J. Have not even driven a few inches in 5 months. Its really killing me.

Keep us updated.
Drive safe!
Old 23rd February 2011, 13:29   #134
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
My leathers should here sometime this week- can't wait to see and feel them!
Where are you getting it done, if it is ok. We changed the seat covers to art leather recently and I am not very happy about it. I am fishing for a good leather option in Pune.

Sorry to hear about the front logo. What a sorry state of affairs.
Nowadays, after locking my car for the night, I give a last look at my car's front logo, as if, it is in a terminal state of cancer.

Last edited by dot : 23rd February 2011 at 13:31.
Old 23rd February 2011, 14:30   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
@noopster and fraulein congatulations on the big 1000. So can we safely say that she is run in now? 18kmpl is simply fantastic! I like the fact that the germans come with a .5 adjustment on the ACC. The civic does not have it and only adjusts 1 degree at a time.

Not just the Germans, even the Americans (read GM / Chevy) have come up with this. The Beat features temperature adjustment in the 0.5 range for the ACC

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks