Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2011, 14:49   #451
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Be glad you do most of your running in Poona.. Think of us poor Bombayites, especially those doing cross town runs.
@Hayek - I have had the "luxury" of doing the rounds across the suburbs in bombay and bangalore - trust me, they don't hold a candle in comparison to the daily traffic jams at Hinjewadi.
I haven't received my car and yet I'm already sweating over it!

Quote:
Actually I am surprised why the diesel does not experience a similar drop in consumption at low speeds with the AC on. But given your high usage, a diesel may have made sense. Shocked that VW does not have a Vento diesel AT.
Someone mentioned earlier on the Vento thread that it was probably done not to cannibalize the sales of the Jetta. But still a stupid decision overall.

P.s. @Noopster, sorry for hijacking your thread

Last edited by ninjatalli : 18th September 2011 at 14:52.
Old 19th September 2011, 15:54   #452
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 15000 km & first service update

^^ Not at all, interesting sidebars always welcome!

@Hayek- I drive to Mumbai quite often and I can assure you that ninjatalli is talking through his hat He has obviosly not done In-Orbit mall to WE highway on a Friday evening! I once took 1h40min for that (<5 km) stretch and then another 20 minutes to do the reminaing 15-odd to Bandra! Thankfully it was in my Swift which does not taunt me by putting those abysmal figures on the MID.

And yup it's a petrol Swift and though it delivers around 13 kmpl consistently, running cost-wise it pales in comparison with a diesel car. The ownership thread is here. I love that car to death and hence my reluctance to part with it/ trade it in for a diesel option.

Another update: I hit a nasty pothole on the Mumbai bypass with my left front wheel and checked later to find the alloy had got scratched in several places . Hopefully not bent or damaged in any way- am not experiencing any pulling/misalignment at least. Am driving a whole lot slower these days by choice, since it's just not worth it.
Old 19th September 2011, 16:35   #453
Senior - BHPian

Noop, I'm trying to say - "Don't sweat", over the FE figures, but I cant. I can understand the situation. You are'nt the only one thats getting those FE figures. Just last night had a conversation with the owner of Farulein's sibling. He gets pretty much the same. His driving style (as you already know) is a lot different than your's.

In his own words - He has put his TSi ownership plans on a hold as of now. The Vento took Rs. 3500 for a tankfull, thanks to the current prices.
I aint even discussing the FE i get on the Superb! Now, you know why I stick to the Laura (though MT).

Dotty: Nice analysis there. Maybe, it is time to put the Scorpo and Fraulein to a test. Same driving conditions, same speed and probably, same kind of driving styles. Lets see the outcome. What say?

OT: Noop, did you by an chance opt for a special no. on the Vento? Reason being, the Swift ends with 5533 and the Fraulien with 5544. Just realized that!

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 19th September 2011 at 16:36.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 17:24   #454
Distinguished - BHPian

^^Yup- am saving 5555 for my 5-series

Got the Swift used so didn't choose that but I like patterns so went with this approach. I have never chosen numbers for any of my vehicles before this- am not superstitious that way. But the RTO just charged 5K for it so decided, what the hell?!!

Off-topic: Swanand, people may laugh at you for choosing the Laura MT with "only" 110 BHP on tap but the ghosts of mechatronics and the bogey of the diesel subsidy surely has YOU with the last laugh. Are you selling off your Laura by any chance?

Last edited by noopster : 19th September 2011 at 17:27.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 18:43   #455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Actually I am surprised why the diesel does not experience a similar drop in consumption at low speeds with the AC on.
Actually, diesels too drop in performance at low speeds, for that matter any car. With an average speed of 10kmph, I get mileages of around 9kmpl from my Vento TDI.
Old 19th September 2011, 20:08   #456
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Don't rub it in nilesh. I get around 5 kmpl in similar situations!
Old 19th September 2011, 22:01   #457
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post

Dotty: Nice analysis there. Maybe, it is time to put the Scorpo and Fraulein to a test. Same driving conditions, same speed and probably, same kind of driving styles. Lets see the outcome. What say?
Quite like the idea. We can do a fast run, a slow run, an overloaded run and see the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I get around 5 kmpl in similar situations!
It is time to get rid of the MID (instantaneous FE gauge) and concentrate on ICE.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 22:27   #458
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations noopster on a fabulous ride and on completing the 10K. Sorry for this late entry into your thread.

Sad to read about the low FE figures, but on bumper to bumper traffic and especially with an AT, that seems to be the expected figures. Though I have also heard my friend having a petrol Polo crib about its FE figures in city driving in Meerut. The diesel of the same is supposed to give outstanding mileage, which a cousin of mine has got recently (same colour as yours) and he is more than satisfied with its FE and performance.

BTW about the 5 series, I have booked that for my Falcon... lolz
dkaile is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th September 2011, 23:27   #459
BHPian

@noops I didn't mean to.

But you know what, I am practicing a few hypermiling tricks and it has become a sort of an obsession these days. My MID always shows the average mileage.

Like @dot says, I should get rid of this. I am ruining my own driving experience!
Old 20th September 2011, 10:59   #460
Distinguished - BHPian

Don't get me wrong guys. I absolutely love this car. For one, it appeals to the snob in me since most of it (the 1.6 L gasoline engine, the auto tranny etc.) is imported from Germany or South Africa. The fit and finish has no comparison and the comfort the slushbox offers has to be experienced first-hand. I have managed to convert a lot of the skeptical friends who laughed at me for going the AT route (mentioned very early on in this thread) into die-hard fans. My family loves it. My neighbours think I am earning more than I do for buying a German car (not realising I paid less than the Honda-Toyota walas ).

So no regrets at all. As long as one can afford life's litle luxuries, complaining about these minor irritants seems puerile.

There are a few pet peeves this car has that I am listing here and including possible solutions for other Vento owners to adopt:

Name:  Issues.png
Views: 1090
Size:  36.9 KB

In a shocking development, discovered this morning that my left front tyre
has a small nail embedded in it. The topic of much debate in the parking lot: one guy suggested I remove it immediately. My instinct was to desist from this: what if it deflates competely? On the other hand I surely can't drive around and risk it tearing even more. Will check status in the evening and then decide course of action.

Last edited by noopster : 20th September 2011 at 11:02.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 11:10   #461
Team-BHP Support

Take the tyre to a puncture wala and get it removed and the puncture fixed. If you remove it now the tyre will deflate much quicker.

Also if you are planning on upgrading to S-Drives and you hate tyre noise it is not the ideal upgrade. S-Drives are quick noisy, think about the Db series or C-Drives.
Akshay1234 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 11:22   #462
Senior - BHPian

Wow Noop, loved the pet peeves analysis.
"Assasinate the VW manager" . Thoroughly loved the idea. Lemme know if and when you plan to do so. Ill gladly be the partner in crime!

Also, the FE rant was mainly due to the increase in prices. I've always beleived- If you want the comfort of AT, then you would have to compromise a bit on the FE. Like I said on the monsoon madness thread - Its times like those, that I envy you for the AT.

If and when I sell the Laura, I shall let you all know. For now, that aint happening .
Old 20th September 2011, 23:38   #463
Senior - BHPian

Hi Noops,
Great 'peeve' analysis. Good learning for the other Vento owners.

Coming to the thorn in your flesh, read nail in your rubber - shucks, that didn't come out properly, read tyre - would suggest that you go to the tyre-wallah immediately, remove the nail and have the flat patched up.
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st September 2011, 00:18   #464
Senior - BHPian

Hi noopster,

My first post on your thread; belated wishes for your Vento.

Dropped in to have a word on low FE figures of your car. You should not be worried about the mileage as even the Honda City AT gives similar mileage.

Charthom owns a Honda City AT and reports similar mileage figures as in your case (you can refer to his thread).

Enjoy the luxury of an automatic.

Cheers!
Old 21st September 2011, 10:49   #465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Quite like the idea. We can do a fast run, a slow run, an overloaded run and see the difference.
It is time to get rid of the MID (instantaneous FE gauge) and concentrate on ICE.
Can I also join in to feel a little better about mileage (hopefully)? I promise I will not show you the MID on the MT.

Dotty, when do we get a demo of your ICE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
^^Yup- am saving 5555 for my 5-series
Off-topic: Swanand, people may laugh at you for choosing the Laura MT with "only" 110 BHP on tap but the ghosts of mechatronics and the bogey of the diesel subsidy surely has YOU with the last laugh. Are you selling off your Laura by any chance?
Excellent pet peeve list noop. I hope you dont add more to it, but get better solutions in the long run without a blot on your crime record, if there is one at all (not sure if you owned a Tata before!)

You know with two petrol mills you are actually delaying the arrival of the 5 series? On the other hand you can think of the money you save on ortho/ physiotherapy visits for your ankle thats gone sore from using a manual

Quote:
If and when I sell the Laura, I shall let you all know. For now, that aint happening.
Swanand, just for the record, do remember that I asked you first . I cannot even run the double petrol mill mileage excuse here as noop will beat me hollow.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks