Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2011, 17:26   #286
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Got a question on the Vento. How useful is the lever behind the front passenger seat (to liberate space for the left rear passenger)?
When I saw it in the reviews, it looked pretty cool, and thought why other manufacturers are not getting this on. But just want to know if it’s easy to work in real-time. Thank you.
Easy as pie . But it's just s stupid selling gimmick if you ask me. I rarely have someone sitting behind and nobody in passenger seat so even trying it out is not an option. It would be rude to do it with someone sitting in the passenger seat, right?!!

Quote:
And just noticed that we joined the family around same time!
...and lived in Singapore at some point. We should meet!
Old 17th June 2011, 17:33   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Oops.... As you know I am a complete noob with engines, gasoline OR diesel. Guess it can wait. Will get the scratch removal and polishing done maybe with Dot's DIY kit this weekend if he'll have me!
Sir Noops d'Senior BHPian,
Don't wait for the air filter cleaning. Get it done ASAP.
Old 17th June 2011, 17:36   #288
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Easy as pie . But it's just s stupid selling gimmick if you ask me. I rarely have someone sitting behind and nobody in passenger seat so even trying it out is not an option. It would be rude to do it with someone sitting in the passenger seat, right?!!

...and lived in Singapore at some point. We should meet!
Thanks for the quick response. I always think about this particular feature whenever I get into the backseat of a taxi (even if the taxis here are the big Sonatas and Toyota Crowns). And if I remember right, this was an India specific feature from VW.

And yes, would definitely love to meet up. Let me know when you plan to visit Singapore next. I am kind of a local here
Old 17th June 2011, 23:52   #289
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Will get the scratch removal and polishing done maybe with Dot's DIY kit this weekend if he'll have me!
Come over man. I need to tend to some scratches myself, thanks to some pesky two-wheelers. We could do some polishing together.

I am seriously thinking of purchasing some needle shaped door guards and stick them around the bumper ends.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:33   #290
Senior - BHPian

Senior Saab ~ Yes i have congratulated you many times already, but hey here we go once again. Congratulations!
Yes the detailing one Fraulein's headlamps is awesome. I had admired them when we met up last at the wingmen meet. Especially while i was editing the pics before posting them. No i ain't Japanese, but it's true i enjoy my holidays etc sitting at home when i upload the photos to my laptop. LOL!
about the winking, i guess she only winks at you. and i think that's the way it should be, you sure wouldn't want her to be winking at me right.
i think it is fair to let all know on the home thread that our senior buddy @noopster is contemplating throwing a party to celebrate this milestone. @others please support and encourage senior saab in planning this wonderful event.

BTW i got a little demo of the caska at Honda which was installed in a Civic.
No i was not too impressed with it. So i guess you are better off holding on for a while. Also please make sure you get a proper demo of the unit you zero in on. everything looks fantastic on paper. but real world experience can be a totally different story.

Drive Safe!
any difference in your license renewal now that you are a senior citizen?
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 09:48   #291
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Come over man. I need to tend to some scratches myself, thanks to some pesky two-wheelers. We could do some "polishing together".

I am seriously thinking of purchasing some needle shaped door guards and stick them around the bumper ends.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
i think it is fair to let all know on the home thread that our senior buddy @noopster is contemplating throwing a party to celebrate this milestone. @others please support and encourage senior saab in planning this wonderful event.
Hi Noops saar d'Sr. BHPian,
Careful here...dot is just angling for some free labour. He'll give you the material and you do the polishing on both cars.

Or does that phrase have some deeper/hidden intent ?
Doing some 'polishing together' eh ? "Tend to some scratches ?"

mdsaab - Party ? I am getting a little queasy here. What kind of party is the Q now after the statements from dot above. Romans have domain experience in that kind of a thing you know.

Gangway...I am outta here !

Last edited by Guderian : 18th June 2011 at 09:58.
Old 18th June 2011, 09:57   #292
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post

Or does that phrase have some deeper/hidden intent ?
Doing some 'polishing together' eh ?
You know, in my previous job, they (pesky HR fellows) used to talk about a New York Times test. Imagine your email is on the front page of NYT, would it be embarrassing for the company amounting to MM$ of law suits?

Nowadays I do the HGT (Herr Guderian Test). Last night when I posted the above mentioned post, I thought it passed the test. Ha.

Anyways we are planning to restore the beauty of the cars, nothing else. BTW, anything else is OT.
Old 18th June 2011, 10:31   #293
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
BTW, anything else is OT.
Love this chap called dot.
Now he's gone and given the term OT a set of whole new meanings ! Mostly very exciting.
Carry on my friend I am all ears !
Old 18th June 2011, 19:29   #294
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow, talk about an afternoon well spent!

The scratches on the rear bumper were annoying me no end, so finally took some decisive action today. What's a T-BHP network if not to use so I shamelessly asked dot if I could come over and use some of his solvent collection to get the Fraulein into better shape than she was. Note that this was what she was looking like this morning:
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03382.jpg

The good man was glad to oblige, even volunteering to take care of the buk of the labour himself while I documented the historic event
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03384.jpg

A closer look at dot's labours:
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03385.jpg

We tried a generic cleaning solvent which took some of the top coat off (whitening pen stuff that had gone yellowish-brown). But it wasn't enough. That's when dot produced his trump card: acetone! Or rather, Mrs dot's nailpolish remover which he promised to replace but, at the time of going to print, hasn't.

He lives dangerously, our dot.

Voila! The effects were instant and miraculous.
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03386.jpg

We rubbed it down with Scracth Out and even the blue stain more or less vanished!
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03388.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03389.jpg
End-product looked so good (touch wood!) couldn't help clicking more snaps of the Fraulein in her new surroundings.
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03391.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03392.jpg
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03393.jpg

Hat tip to the man and his mean machine, observing the proceedings coyly as Farulein took centrestage:
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc03395.jpg

Restored to at least 90% of her pristine glory. Nothing left behind that a strategically-placed LTD sticker won't conceal!

Last edited by noopster : 18th June 2011 at 19:35.
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 19:41   #295
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

The good man was glad to oblige, even volunteering to take care of the buk of the labour himself.
Ahhh...so that ploy of riling up dot with that comment earlier worked and he did it all himself. Nothing like good old negative methodology of motivation.

Looks good now !
Guderian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 22:31   #296
BHPian

Quote:

We tried a generic cleaning solvent which took some of the top coat off (whitening pen stuff that had gone yellowish-brown). But it wasn't enough. That's when dot produced his trump card: acetone! Or rather, Mrs dot's nailpolish remover which he promised to replace but, at the time of going to print, hasn't.
If the polymer-Guru himself applied acetone, then the results ought to be good.
Some days back, we tried to study the effects of Colin on car paint (yeah that household cleaner). The result was clean, as no major alkali present in it as per material data sheet.

BTW, I guess, its time to put on the rear Logo of Fraülein. The theft cases have reduced to larger extent here. ( I mean, I am seeing lot many Polos and Ventos 'with logos' these days in our city).

Und ja, Herzlichen Glückwunsch Senior BHPer.

Last edited by ritzy : 18th June 2011 at 22:38. Reason: repetition in writing.
ritzy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2011, 23:31   #297
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
He lives dangerously, our dot.
Well it was all Felix Felicis or liquid luck. We were wondering if we would witness a Mr.Bean like situation where the bumper starts developing alarming boils.

BTW, If I knew I would be on National TV, I would have at least shaved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guderian View Post
Ahhh...so that ploy of riling up dot with that comment earlier worked and he did it all himself.
Well, never to pass a situation where you get a chance to lay your hands on the lovely Fraulein

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
Some days back, we tried to study the effects of Colin on car paint (yeah that household cleaner). The result was clean, as no major alkali present in it as per material data sheet.
Thats what I would have thought. Good to know. Thanks.

Last edited by dot : 18th June 2011 at 23:36.
Old 19th June 2011, 07:46   #298
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
BTW, I guess, its time to put on the rear Logo of Fraülein. The theft cases have reduced to larger extent here. ( I mean, I am seeing lot many Polos and Ventos 'with logos' these days in our city).
Actually I haven't even put the front one back on- that was just for the camera's benefit!

Every day I see Skodas and VWs, even the occasional Bimmer with ornaments missing. So will wait till the crime wave passes completely beefore risking it
Old 19th June 2011, 08:57   #299
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,
Sorry i missed this golden opportunity.
would have loved to have been there and ofcourse got @dot to remove some of Chicca's scratches too.
@dot you have done a fantastic job ~ are we planning to open up a car detailing station soon?

Till we meet next,

Drive Safe!
mdsaab is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2011, 00:18   #300
BHPian

Quote:
I use this feature often as i tend to have driver driving my car on and off. I like to sit in different seats depending on my mood so if i skip in to back seat from front, this features comes very handy to clear maximum space. Too bad that this feature does not allow movement of the back of seat.

Most Viewed