Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 14:45   #631
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT- Update: 30,000 km/2nd service & new shoes!

I like, I like! Fabulous setup and its almost like giving candy to the kids for those prices. Very sweet deal I must say

I absolutely adore that weird angled shot; reminds me of the scene from Terminator where the eye can be seen/ is replaced? When do we non HJWians get a demo?

Edit: Glue? really? what kind, it is a very neat job then!

Last edited by selfdrive : 2nd February 2012 at 14:48.
Old 2nd February 2012, 21:32   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ummm...it's a little more than that. Basically the projector and bulbs need to be physically transplanted into the headlight assembly, which requires it to be opened, the projector and bulbs inserted and the whole thing glued back together again. Takes a whole day (plus another to dry off!)

If I am not mistaken, HIDs *without projectors* have this way of diffusing, especially in rainy conditions, and blinding oncoming traffic. So far no motorist has complained about glare (normal headlamps on high beam are much worse!) and I have never felt the need to engage high-beam except on the highway with nobody in front of me.
Indeed. Didn't know that, went googling. And learnt quite a bit about HIDs & Projector kits.

And I'm completely sold. Now just to find time to get it done.

@Noop, I am assuming the high beam is still the halogen bulb output.
Old 7th February 2012, 22:46   #633
dot
Senior - BHPian

Intercepted a familiar shadow-hawk also called Fraulein. This occurred today evening at Hinjewadi junction on the way back from Bombay. The new headlights are awesome. Here are some pics from mobile cam.

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-07022012507.jpg

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-07022012509.jpg
dot is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 10:48   #634
Senior - BHPian

Oh wow! Those Corona rings look oh-so-sexy!
A la BMW .

Noop, you really need a better camera to catch the essence of those lights. Lets get together one weekend and get these snaps clicked. What say?
Old 8th February 2012, 12:27   #635
BHPian

^^
so true..
The pictures do no justice to the real mod job.

noops, now you have a great looker of a ride!
I love those rings!
Old 8th February 2012, 16:30   #636
BHPian

lets get your car engaged to my car. In that way your car will have to give the "rings" to my car

I need to get these fitted on my car. Any errors displayed after the installation was done on the MID?
subodh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 18:25   #637
BHPian

Hey noopster, those angel eyes look great. And congratulations to Fräulein for completing one year of faithful service!

Please get some good photos of the headlamps! Like so many here, that might just tempt me too in getting these installed!
Old 8th February 2012, 22:44   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks people. Yeah I love 'em Bimmer-rings too

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
lets get your car engaged to my car. In that way your car will have to give the "rings" to my car
Yeah cute. Nice try though!

Quote:
I need to get these fitted on my car. Any errors displayed after the installation was done on the MID?
Eh? No man! It seems fine- no cutting or rewiring or mismatched impedances or anything (i hope) of that sort. Admit I am a bit worried after the Vento burning up incident so close to home but people I spoke to have assured me there is nothing to unduly worry about.

Another long drive coming up this weekend: a village near Belgaum where a relative is getting hitched. may get the opportunity to drive a Bolero as well!
Old 8th February 2012, 23:58   #639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster
Thanks people. Yeah I love 'em Bimmer-rings too

Yeah cute. Nice try though!

Eh? No man! It seems fine- no cutting or rewiring or mismatched impedances or anything (i hope) of that sort. Admit I am a bit worried after the Vento burning up incident so close to home but people I spoke to have assured me there is nothing to unduly worry about.

Another long drive coming up this weekend: a village near Belgaum where a relative is getting hitched. may get the opportunity to drive a Bolero as well!
Was just curious as the wattage of bulbs has been changed and whether that creates any problem. Plus more wires are added? (the angel eyes) although this little alteration would not give any error. Have seen an error come up on Laura when one of the bulbs in the headlight was not working and so the query.

About bolero, take dot along with you. He has anyways been looking for an opportunity to drive bolero!!!
Old 9th February 2012, 11:26   #640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subodh View Post
Have seen an error come up on Laura when one of the bulbs in the headlight was not working and so the query.
Subodh, I got the same "Error" on my Laura too, when one headlamp conked off. Its more of an "indicator" that the lights arent working, the way they are supposed to, and not an error per se.

In this case, I doubt any cutting was required. Addition of wires; Im not too sure, but since there was no fidgiting with the assembly, I presume, its safe. Plus, noop here has actually downgraded in terms of wattage. The current lights are 35 watts or so, as compared to OEM 55 Watts.

Enjoy your longish drive noop. Leave early from Pune. That, will enable you to enjoy the roads, without cursing the traffic at the tolls .
Old 9th February 2012, 16:38   #641
BHPian

Swanand, it was "your" car where I saw the error message. Apart from that, thats true that he has gone for lower wattage than original and that might not create problem. In terms of Wires, it is quite possible that wires are added as number of bulbs are more. The wire housing would be changed.
Old 9th February 2012, 16:53   #642
BHPian

^^
Now the only problems that (may) generally arise, in an after-market job, are due to poor quality of electrical wiring - may it be labour (electrical joints, earthing, etc.) or the quality of material (wires & sockets)

If one is sure of the above, then issues like electrical faults are minimal
(e.g. like recent one of the blue Vento).

edit: this is irrespective of the wattage - downgrades or upgrades..

Last edited by Monaro CV8 : 9th February 2012 at 16:54.
Old 22nd February 2012, 02:02   #643
Team-BHP Support

It's a good thing that you've gone in for projectors, instead of directly installing the HID bulbs. These bulbs, if fitted in regular reflectors, do more harm than good. they scatter the light instead of focusing it and even blind on-coming traffic. Projectors help focus the beam.

Now I wouldn't be too worried that they're Chinese. From what I've heard, even branded and original projectors use components that are either made or assembled in China/Taiwan.

While it's always good to go in for reputed brands with warranty, there are brands that simply overcharge (even though the quality is nothing great so to speak), just because they're 'big' brands. Case in point: Bose.

It's like the Samsung - Apple discussion all over again.
Quote:
may get the opportunity to drive a Bolero as well!
You are not going to enjoy that. Sorry Bolero purists. It's just my opinion.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 22nd February 2012 at 02:06.
Old 22nd February 2012, 10:46   #644
BHPian

Quote:
Got the headlamps smoked as well. The "eye shadow" visible in this pic (the real-life effect is more powerful)

The corona ring effect is not visible in photographs:
Hi Noops, The headlamps look awesome. Could you post some pics taken in the daylight - not able to clearly see the "eye-shadow", smoked portions etc. Thnx
Old 28th February 2012, 08:14   #645
Senior - BHPian

Phew! Finally made it thru this encyclopedia on the Vento AT. Amazing thread Noops. This really is the place to be, for any research on the vento.

Absolutely love your Angel eyes setup! There was a time I used to drool at the modded Swifts with Angel eyes, that being one of the most prominent and happening thread on this forum. That made me actually dream of owning a Swift and go for that setup myself. Sadly it never happend :-( My wife doesnt like the Swift and it remained a dream.

I'm really inspired to go for a similar setup on my next car. Lets see how it pans out. Keep up the good work on this thread and drive safe.

Last edited by joslicx : 28th February 2012 at 08:15.
joslicx is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed