Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2011, 19:50   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!

She's here! This afternoon at around 4 pm, I finally took delivery of my Volkswagen Vento 1.6 AT Highline from VW Pune. First impressions:

Ja! Ja!
• Elegant, understated looks: German Fraülein through and through
• Refined but peppy 1.6L petrol engine pumping out 105 BHP & 153 Nm torque
• 6 speed automatic a joy to drive in the city
• Good interiors- premium feel and grey-beige colour combination works great
• Highline comes equipped with ABS, airbags, climate control, 15” alloys, rear AC, height adjustable driver's seat, tilt and telescopic steering adjust, rear AC vents- pretty much everything I need!

Nein Bitte!
• VW’s bad management of the supply process translating into indifferent dealer experience
• Colour choices limited and availability issues
• Tyres are awkward size and upsizing voids warranty
• The inner RVM is a disaster! It obstructs my view and doesn’t show me much of the rear view at all.
But I nitpick. Take a look at my beauty…
Attached Thumbnails
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-02-front-side-view.jpg  

noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2011, 19:51   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Congratulations, Punekar.

Enjoy the beauty.

Last edited by S_U_N : 22nd January 2011 at 19:53.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. Only one pic!!!

But anyway, considering you took her just about 4 hours ago, must say you still managed to take the time to get on and create a post

Congrats. Waiting to see the details
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Let's start at the very beginning:

A very good place, Julie Andrews assures us, to start. When I resettled in Pune in mid-2009 after a stint overseas, I realised quickly that I needed to buy a car since commuting by company bus or tum-tum (Puneri version of the 6-seater autorickshaw) wasn't exactly my cuppa! Since I had other priorities and didn't want to invest in a big car right away, decided to plonk some ready cash on a used Swift and get my dream car after I had settled down a bit. Fast forward a year or so and suddenly the news broke on TBHP about VW planning to launch its sedan based on the Polo platform. I followed the threads on TBHP religiously: from the initial leaked sketches to various spottings to the official launch announcement in August, GTO's awe-inspiring review and everything else ever since!

So it started raining Vento bookings on TBHP but I am a cautious blighter and decided to heed the pros' advice and only proceed once the all-important test drive was done. Started haunting the VW showrooms in Mumbai and Pune from August, was promised test drives starting September, finally got a TD in October and booked my Vento AT Highline on 10/10/10 (am not superstitious but that really was too good an opportunity to miss! Unfortunately, VW Pune's systems were down that day so my booking receipt is actually dated 11/10 )

My key consideration was that I badly wanted a German car. The first car I drove in the US 10 years ago was my friend's brand new VW Passat and that car made a big imression on me! My previous cars were Korean and Japanese and I walked into this well knowing that the German experience came with its pros and cons. The Skoda service threads on TBHP were enough of a reminder. But sometimes, the heart wants what it wants

I was pretty clear this is the car for me, and though the test drive was a disappointing half-km run round the block in downtown traffic, it was enough to put a tickmark against the TD column, and that was that.

Some more pics, lest I lose my audience!

First view of my beauty: at the showroom getting her accessories and plates fitted one day before the actual delivery.

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-00-first-view-rear.jpg

Home at Last! A couple of kids came over to admire the "Mercedes" a few minutes after I shot this, made me feel good!

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-01-home-last.jpg

Baby's got back: I think the boot integration job is just perfect on the Vento, and this may just be its best view.

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-03.-rear-view.jpg
noopster is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:30   #5
BHPian

Congratulations on the car. That's really a rapid post. TBHP-mania. IMO, Vento looks best in white. Looking forward to spot 'Frau Noops' sometime somewhere on pune streets.
Mach's gut!!!
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:47   #6
BHPian

Congrats noopster for the new aquisition. A German name for the German beauty. IMO White goes best on the Vento and I'd have named her 'Mein weiß Fräulein'.

Good decision to go for the Highline (the most sensible option on the Vento). Be careful with that VW badge. Most of the Ventos/Polos I've seen have had thier badges stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Ja! Ja!
"Ja! Ja!" has a different meaning in German slang. If you know what I mean!!

Last edited by benzinblut : 22nd January 2011 at 21:01.
Old 22nd January 2011, 20:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

The vento went through 3-4 iterations / scrapped designs, as they did not want the car to come out looking evident that it was a hatch with a boot strapped to it. Like what we see in the Dezire.

From side profile, it suddenly looks like a Laura. White looks stunning.

As for the kids, you can probably invert the VW logo, and tell them yes it is a new merc with a new M sign ;-)
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:16   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

You guys have no idea how long I've been composing the TBHP ownership review in my head! Now that I'm finally putting it down, am torn between completing the damn thing and hitting F5 and checking how many replies I've got . Anyway let me complete this, and then take questions, like so many of my bosses love to do!

The wait...and then the wait...
It became obvious pretty quickly that VW had severaly underestimated the demand its new breed of machines would generate. Attuned to the likes of the Jetta and Passat that at most sold a handful of units a month, their sleepy dealerships overnight became a beehive of activity and the results were immediate and not very pleasant.
People thronged the showrooms to see the Polo and the Vento and bookings started piling up. A strange phenomenon started showing up not just at one or two dealerships but across the country- dealers were not committing any delivery dates. My own booking receipt has a vague promise of "3-4 months" in the expected date of delivery column. Consumers were not amused.
In my case it was compounded by the fact that my assigned sales rep was possibly the worst salesperson ever in history. I have documented my SR experience in lighter vein elsewhere on the forum but am too lazy to search, so let me recap: she never called me, I called her; I had to explain who I was and what I booked every time I called; she would inevitably be on leave or out sick and "someone else" would call me; that person (different each time) would inevitably shrug his shoulders (in a metaphorical sense, since we were talking on the phone then) and say vague things like "3-4 months", "January-February" or, scarily once "5 months at least"!
So I did what I could to alleviate my misery- I stopped calling her!
Thankfully work was hectic (OK that' something I never thought I'd end up saying) and there was the annual vacation/roadtrip to Goa to look forward to, so by the time January came around I was fairly OK. Then the rumours started again. VW's production line has shut down. Terra Beige (my preferred shade) and Shadow Blue will only start production in February etc. etc. I got an insider tip via TBHP (you know who you are, thanks!) and I finally decided enough was enough. Called my SR whose phone was unreachable so called the showroom, insisted on speaking to someone who could actually help me rather than give me vague promises and through a massive stroke of good luck (or good sense on the part of ther operator) got connected to a dude in the back-office.
He seemed new and eager to please and quickly confirmed my worst fears- colour choices were far and few and if I was steadfast in my Terra Beige preference, chances are I would continue to hang in suspense till March at least. But if I were flexible...and SUDDENLY I started listening. To be honest I wasn't too hopeful but the guy said he had ATs in white and silver that had been allotted and if I confirmed to him right away, I would be driving my new baby within the week!
I called the wife and asked her: white or silver? Black, she answered, as women will. Another call- no sir, Black has even longer waiting, so I said dammit all I am coming down there RIGHT now, took off during lunchtime, picked up the wifey at her office and went down to see the two side by side and decide.
It was a no-contest. Germans look best in white.
After that, it was like a blur (this was just last Monday). Wednesday I finished the payment formalities, Thursday she was registered and Friday she arrived at the showroom from the stockyard! And like I said, this afternoon we picked her up.
So now we're going to take her out for a spin and some dinner, so enjoy the last of the pics (interiors this time) and will be back later!
Attached Thumbnails
My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc01200_resize.jpg  

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc01198_resize.jpg  

noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:23   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Congratulations, Punekar.

Enjoy the beauty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
...considering you took her just about 4 hours ago, must say you still managed to take the time to get on and create a post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritzy View Post
...Looking forward to spot 'Frau Noops' sometime somewhere on pune streets.
Mach's gut!!!
Thanks all! I will get my TBHP stickers soon and then hopefully be more recognisable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzinblut View Post
...I'd have named her 'Mein weiß Fräulein'.

..."Ja! Ja!" has a different meaning in German slang. If you know what I mean!!
Hey Danke Schon and all that benzinblut but I am not fluent, just picked up a few lines from Hollywood . Actually toyed with the idea of using "Meine Fraulein arrives.." or something but wasn't sure of the grammar! But I can guess what Ja Ja means hehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedreamcatcher View Post
From side profile, it suddenly looks like a Laura. White looks stunning.

As for the kids, you can probably invert the VW logo, and tell them yes it is a new merc with a new M sign ;-)
Tell me about it- I catch myself staring at her as she's parked. But truth be told I do that to my Swift as well! And- Yeah kids are stupid

Last edited by noopster : 22nd January 2011 at 21:24.
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:35   #10
BHPian

Congratulations Noopster on your beauty.

Wish you many many happy miles.
Finally the wait is over This car is a beauty, even though there is no way to differentiate from Polo, from Front view, but VENTO looks excellent up-close and yes you are correct, White looks gorgeous.

OT:Some advantages in VENTO - Rear boot logo is cut-paste job (not the boot opener as in Polo which costs 8K +), so for Punekars (which tops in logo theft) - even if its stolen replacement would be cheap, I guess! (today, I saw the VW Demo VENTO with rear logo missing , ) be careful while parking, friends

Last edited by AvonA7 : 22nd January 2011 at 21:39.
Old 22nd January 2011, 21:39   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations noopster! Finally the wait is over. It looks great in white and will remain timeless and fresh.
Please adopt some protective measures for your logo,if possible. Approximately 50% of the VW (Polos and Ventos) on Pune roads are sans a logo.
I am surprised there are no "A/T" badges at the rear.
Old 22nd January 2011, 22:09   #12
BHPian

that is one quick fresh from the oven review.
congrats on the vento,
looks pretty decent and elegant especially in white.
have said it before and will say it again those are one of the best looking OE alloys.
wish you a trouble free ownership.
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:04   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

The auto transmission takes getting used to . Check me out here not quite sure what to do with my left hand:

My Fräulein arrives - VW Vento AT. EDIT: 10 years and 135,000 km up!-dsc01187.jpg

Night traffic was lighter so was able to rip her a little on way back from dinner. Ran through all the gears and we cheered and clapped when it went into 6th (happened at 80 kmph). Was trying to keep it under 2500 rpm but am still not used to the kickdown and ended up revving her hard unintentionally a couple of times (sorry baby!) I guess this will improve with time but other AT users can comment how they handle the kickdown frustration.

Thanks so much to everyone who's commenting! Keep doing it please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
OT:Some advantages in VENTO - Rear boot logo is cut-paste job (not the boot opener as in Polo which costs 8K +), so for Punekars (which tops in logo theft) - even if its stolen replacement would be cheap, I guess! (today, I saw the VW Demo VENTO with rear logo missing , ) be careful while parking, friends
Tell me about it. About half the cars in for servicing/repairs at VW Pune had their logos missing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I am surprised there are no "A/T" badges at the rear.
Am glad there isn't! You can't believe how much flak I am getting from my enthusiast friends about "defecting" to the AT club. They treat is as some sort of inferior mechanism for the weak and worthless hehe. But my left knee thanks me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superboy44 View Post
that is one quick fresh from the oveppn review.
congrats on the vento,
looks pretty decent and elegant especially in white.
have said it before and will say it again those are one of the best looking OE alloys.
wish you a trouble free ownership.
Do you like the alloys? I think they're pretty plain Jane. Skoda Laura's are much better I think.
Trouble-free ownership, touch wood. Can't ask for much more.
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your Vento AT noopster. Very nice write up indeed. The AT must be a boon in Pune traffic for sure. Ignore the flak from your friends about moving over to the AT club. Considering todays worsening traffic situations, AT is the way to go. Everytime I'm stuck in a jam, I pity the other users who just have to play with first and second gears, not to mention the poor left leg being on the clutch while I just have to let go of the brake to let my car creep forward ( I drive an OHC AT)

As for your kick down query just drive with a light foot. The tranny knows when it has to downshift so it will do so when needed and it would require a light pus of the pedal. No need of pushing the pedal hard unless you are at higher speeds and want to overtake. Driving with a light foot will also get you good FE from the AT box too

Drive safe and do keep updating the thread regularly with your ownership experience.

OT: The side profile picture you have taken, is it at Pashan? Looks familiar
Dippy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2011, 00:47   #15
BHPian

Congratulations noopster.. Vento is really a good car. I even saw one white color vento that had its seats covered with plastic on senapati bapat road at around 7 pm..

And btw.. You didnt try getting the car thru B U Bhandari.?? I guess it would have been quicker.. Anyway now that you have the car in your hand it is alright.. And do not worry about crossing 2500 at times.. You are not supposed to always drive it at a constant revv. The running in should be a mix of every level. But yeah revving it beyond 2500 shouldnt be too frequent or for long.. Atleast till 1500 kms or so..

Enjoy one of the best cars in India..

Last edited by psbali : 23rd January 2011 at 00:49. Reason: General

Most Viewed