Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2011, 06:46   #46
Senior - BHPian

re: My Fräulein arrives: Vento AT *Updated* 9000 km update"

Thanks noopster for the advice which is not pushing the car that you have just bought. Yes, Altis is overpriced and even that would have done for me if only the requirements were different.

Honestly confused at the moment, but this thread is about the Vento, and I hope to get a TD soon. Will check on availability as I do not want to pay and wait.
Old 28th January 2011, 11:13   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post

DSGs are awesome...the Laura was such a temptation for me but somehow resisted! The kickdown is quite OK- in fact I felt the opposite, sometimes I see an open stretch and accelerate but the gearbox decides Iam vertaking someone and kicks down one or two gears! Annoying as heck.
The reason why it downshifts is because you push the throttle and it "thinks" that you need quick acceleration and it needs to be in a lower gear to be in the optimum power band. The secret to not get it to downshift is to be very gentle with the throttle. Mind you if you do this the acceleration won't be anywhere close to what it will be if it downshifts.
Old 28th January 2011, 14:28   #48
vcx
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Thanks noopster for the advice which is not pushing the car that you have just bought. Yes, Altis is overpriced and even that would have done for me if only the requirements were different.

Honestly confused at the moment, but this thread is about the Vento, and I hope to get a TD soon. Will check on availability as I do not want to pay and wait.

I was as well looking at Altis, but at the price point Vento is truly VFM, good fit and finish, great engine that will certainly last ages.

Only pinch is the waiting period and some niggling points like better HU with USB, streering controls, hump in the rear passenger section.
Old 28th January 2011, 14:30   #49
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on your new buy. I have always liked the mature looks of the vento. The interiors too are classy and definately have an upmarket look to them. Noticed a picture below the a.c.c. I remember when i first drove out our AT civic from the showroom, i had to remind myself that there is no clutch and bent my left leg so it would not jab the brakes. Infact have still got this habit, maybe cause i do drive a manual too. Pune traffic is getting more and more crowded by the day. Just look at your smile admist the hustle and bustle of pune traffic. I guess AT's are the way to go. Will be watching your thread closely. Looking forward to hearing about fuel economy and a.s.s experiences. Wishing you many miles of joyful motoring with your fraulein.

P.S not sure if i am correct, but i think to activate the fog lamps you pull back on the light control knob. Please confirm before trying though or dont pull to hard. Dont want anything coming off because of me. Hehe. Good luck with that.

Last edited by mdsaab : 28th January 2011 at 14:39.
Old 28th January 2011, 14:30   #50
vcx
BHPian

I suppose the dashboard/ windscreen visibility is the factor of getting used to...

This observation not many have not come up with though.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th January 2011 at 17:43. Reason: Please do not quote an entire large post when not required. Thanks
Old 28th January 2011, 14:46   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsaab View Post
Just look at your smile admist the hustle and bustle of pune traffic. I guess AT's are the way to go.
It's a matter of time before more people start thinking like us, mdsaab. The Vento AT is the same price as the TDi manual highline which is the most in-demand model, in fact a couple of grand cheaper OTR. Since I already drive a petrol vehicle my total fuel bill for the month goes up only marginally (Swift gives me 13 in the city, which I suppose Vento AT is hard-pressed to match! But even assuming 9, it is around 3K/month more in running costs assuming I replace COMPLETELY which I won't, since I still use the Swift for city runs, places where only valet parking is an option etc. I'm guessing around 2K a month savings which is what a family meal at a decent restaurant costs these days!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcx View Post
I suppose the dashboard/ windscreen visibility is the factor of getting used to...

This observation not many have not come up with though.
Yes I was aghast at how cramped the view felt. Is it because I have upgraded from a Swift, which has almost helicopter-like visibility up front? Though I must say, the lateral visibility (through side windows) is awesome- in my Swift, many times at junctions I can barely see who's coming from my left!
Old 28th January 2011, 18:30   #52
Senior - BHPian

@noopster i totally agree with you. I would definately pay a little more in fuel bills, for the added comfort and stress free drive. By the way one reason why my wife and i always wanted an automatic is so my left hand would be free. That way when traffic is light and we are cruising we can hold hands. So i guess now you know what to do with your left hand when its free

Disclaimer :- Please remember that when driving out on the road, our first priority is our own safety as well as the safety of other road users. So please keep your hands on the steering and only take them off when you are absolutely sure of it. Thanks. Drive safe
Old 28th January 2011, 20:21   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ Agree 100%. Safety is paramount. My driving style is typically right-handed, with the left hand resting on the gearstick. It's something I picked up froma close friend whose car I rode around a lot in early on. It's funny- even when I drive LHDs my right hand is the one that controls the wheel!

Planning to take her to somewhere nice maybe Lavasa over the weekend- hopefully will have more pics and reports next week!
Old 28th January 2011, 21:45   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Planning to take her to somewhere nice maybe Lavasa over the weekend- hopefully will have more pics and reports next week!

The way things are going you may not have Lavasa at all over the next week Anyway, enjoy the car!
Old 29th January 2011, 10:44   #55
Senior - BHPian

Ah. Lavasa. Fantastic roads. Great twisties. What more can one ask for. Just the perfect recipe to exploit that taut german handling. You know when you spent your hard earned money on a german sedan. You spent it for trips like this.
Old 29th January 2011, 16:32   #56
BHPian

Congrats on the new baby!!

Can you elaborate more on why the dealer objected an upgrade to the head unit (USB/AUX). I'm planning to get it installed on my Vento when it arrives this March...
Old 29th January 2011, 17:21   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow this is now a hot thread. That's a first for me. I would like to thank my parents, God, my dog Chi Chi...

Seriously though. Thanks all you wonderful people.

Am at 300 km on the odo. Beginning to notice the small yet important things. Like when I lock my car with the remote and the boot is open, it doesn't refuse to lock like you'd expect but waits till the boot is shut and then gives the horn sound indicating "locked". It's official- this car is smarter than its owner

And the niggles: have already whined about the IRVM blocking the view. Noticed last night that the right side ORVM reflects the LEDs for the mirror adjustment joystick. Obviously it can't be shut off and there is this pool of red and green lights almost bang in the centre of my rear view. Very annoying.
Also in bright sunshine the reflection on the front windshield from the dashboard is very prominent.
On the positive side, I have now found the perfect seating position and my knees no longer bang the central console housing.
I went to Carax and got some quotes for leather seats today and came back disappointed. Stanley Nappa is 54K plus installation, the cheapest Stanley (Touch Classic which is a hybrid of genuine and art leather) is 24K. Artform (art leather) is 17K. Steering wrapping is about 1K which I definitely will get but now am in two minds whether to go leather or not (wife is not a big fan, plus I think no leather is better than cheap/fake leather). Some advice needed from the veterans!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2011, 17:33   #58
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It's a matter of time before more people start thinking like us, mdsaab. The Vento AT is the same price as the TDi manual highline which is the most in-demand model, in fact a couple of grand cheaper OTR. Since I already drive a petrol vehicle my total fuel bill for the month goes up only marginally (Swift gives me 13 in the city, which I suppose Vento AT is hard-pressed to match! But even assuming 9, it is around 3K/month more in running costs assuming I replace COMPLETELY which I won't, since I still use the Swift for city runs, places where only valet parking is an option etc. I'm guessing around 2K a month savings which is what a family meal at a decent restaurant costs these days!)
Noopster, same thoughts here. In real world, the difference of fuel bill is not much after all for an AT. I did a similar calculation when I bought my Civic and found that cost would be about 1.5 to 2k per month more than the fuel cost of Ikon. One trip to Crossword or INOX or a nice restaurant and we end up spending that much. And why go so far, even a trip to supermarket gives a bill of over 1k these days. When compared to the ease of driving in a traffic, this extra cost is really nothing. Couple of hours back I was driving from Pune University to JM Road to MG Road and I was thanking every now so often for the decision to go for an AT.
Old 29th January 2011, 18:46   #59
Senior - BHPian

A follow up on my earlier post:
1. Did receive a call from VW and then from a Delhi dealer in that order. The promise changed to a TD to understanding my requirements. Suited me fine since I did not want to waste their time and mine on a TD without knowing when the car will be delivered.
2. AT without wait is for 2010 model but no discounts and only white colour (not my preference).
3. 2011 model AT is available after a wait of 3-4 months. Could be longer. Of course no discounts but the claimed features could put 20+ lakhs to shame.

So that is as far I am going for now. I really should be looking at the Honda City. My brother has a 2008 model and so far no unexpected costs.

Last edited by vasudeva : 29th January 2011 at 18:49.
Old 29th January 2011, 19:07   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

@vasudeva- mine is a 2010 model. Since I took delivery on Jan 22nd I didn't think it was a big deal. You should get the standard 16K corporate discount but little else (I think there are enough people waiting who will go for the 2010 models in whatever colour available!)
You really can't go wrong with ANHC AT. If you like the car, go for it.

Edit: That was an error. My Vento was actually manufactured on 5th January 2011.

Last edited by noopster : 13th April 2012 at 17:21. Reason: Much-overdue update! :)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks