Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2011, 09:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)

Quote:
Originally Posted by himavanth_m View Post
Could any send me any contact number for TATA motors customer care? Any help would be highly appreciated in this regard
Tata Motors Customer Care :: Reach Us

Tata Motors - Customer Support - 24 Hour Customer Assistance Centre

Tata Motors Customer Support :: Complaint
Old 8th February 2011, 22:39   #17
BHPian

@ajay0612: Thank you very much for the info.

Today things were much better as the customer relations manager himself handled my case. The service advisor that was there was useless.

Today I went to pick up the vehicle, after they called me. And even then to get my vehicle I had to wait 2 hours.

When I visited the center, they did not put the engine cover. More over they started washing the car after I visited the showroom. I was pleasantly surprised by this gesture, as I did not want the car to be washed, but they washed it anyways.
But the worst part was, after opening the engine, they did not fit back some of the parts properly which resulted in some irritating noise. I immediately noticed it and went back. The Customer relations manager promptly rectified the issue. This caused an additional 30 to 45 minutes delay.

Though there was a 2 hr delay overall, the experience was much better today. I think the service advisors at Tejaswi motors are not good. So my advise would be, in case a service advisor is causing delays, proceed to meet customer relations manager or general manager at Tejaswi motors. They are much more customer centric and they are personally making sure that everything happens on time.
Old 16th February 2011, 15:02   #18
BHPian

Service:
I have mixed feedback from good to worst regarding the TATA service centres. Since I do not stay in one city for a long time, it is not possible most of the times to get the service done at a particular service center all the time and build a rapport.

The first service that I had taken it to (at 30000 kms) was at OMR Chennai. The service people here were very good and very timely. I felt it was quite professional and the people were very nice to me. Although Toyota is leaps and bounds ahead in terms of professionalism. This is also the only service center which did not charge me for door pad adjustments.
Overall service bill was 900 Rs. General checkup – 500 Rs and washing about 350 Rs.

The second service – 35000 kms
The vehicle did not require a service at this point but my father insisted on a service due to the one month rest during my travel abroad. So it was taken to Concorde Hyderabad and overall bill came to 1960 Rs. This was the first time I realized that door pad adjustment costs 300 Rs and I was really mad for charging me. I did not directly deal with them but as per my father, the service was timely and very nice.
Break up –
General Service – Rs 300, Door Pad Adjustments – Rs 300, Replacing reverse light switch – Rs 300. Rear Break bulb– 21 Rs. Air Filter – 650 Rs, Reverse Light bulb – 200 Rs.

The third Service 40000 kms.
Since the turbo was faulty, I had to take it to service center. Frankly speaking, I should have taken it to Concorde and built a rapport with the service people there. But I made a mistake and took it to Tejaswi motors in Madhapur, since it is closer to the office. And I regret this decision. It is the worst possible experience I had with them and I do not have kind words for them.

Time: These guys here had no sense of time and were very unprofessional. I am sure government offices will respond in much better way. I gave the vehicle at 1 PM on Friday and was promised delivery at 3 PM Saturday. I even called up the service advisor at 2 PM on Saturday if I should come and pick up the vehicle and he informed me to come there. So I went at 3 PM and they made me wait till 7 PM for the final delivery. 4 hrs of valuable time lost for nothing. The service advisor is by far the worst I have dealt with. He gave stupid reasons like lunch time etc for the delay. And at 3 PM I was shocked to see the state my vehicle was in. None of my problems have been rectified apart from the ones that costed me money like door pad adjustments, part replacements and wheel alignment. The turbo issue was not resolved and he did not even take care of doing the necessary paperwork to obtain a new turbo from TATA motors. Finally I lost my temper and went straight to the GM. The GM of this service center called the service advisor and gave him a thrashing. Only then, things started moving swiftly. If not, I might have received the vehicle with a 2 day delay.

Vehicle care: These guys were least bit bothered about taking care of vehicle (Not just mine but even others vehicles). The entry to the service station is a mud road with horrible bumps and on such pathetic roads, they were running the vehicles at speeds of 40 - 60kmph or more. I mean we have put our hard earned money into these vehicles and all these guys do in the name of test driving the vehicle is abuse it. I am Ok with hard breaking the vehicle etc for testing, but manhandling the vehicle in bad roads is inexplicable. So all the people who want to leave their vehicle unattended here, well don’t.

I think these guys never heard of something like a service advisor calling and giving constant updates. Everytime, only I had to call back the service advisor for the status. It is the least that they could do. And they even change parts before informing the owners expecting them to pay the huge bills. I had changed airfilter at 35000 kms and these guys were about to change it without finding history when luckily I called them and asked about the changes. I just thought it was an innocent mistake, but then when I saw the bill, I almost had a heart attack looking at the many things that have been changed and I could not do a damn thing about it.

Pricing : Servicing a vehicle here costs a bomb. I was charged 19,000 Rs for nothing. I had to go and give a piece of my mind when they finally reduced the bill to 16000 odd rupees. These guys were billing me for tie-rod replacement when I had a fight with them and then they put it in warranty.
If I look at the break up, the first thing that came to my mind is the 1500 Rs service charge. I had only heard of such high costs in Skoda’s. My anger here is not just due to the bill amount. They might be correct in the bill amounts. But what I was mad about is that the bill came as a shock. They did not inform me before about the parts they were about to replace. Moreover, they did not attend to the main problem that I asked them address. The only changes that I asked them to do and they did promptly are Oil change to synthetic oil (Cost 9000 Rs inclusive of taxes), Diesel filter, Oil Filter, Wheel balancing and Wheel alignment, one wheel cap change. And the rest of changes came as a surprise.

Quality of work: The sweetest word that I can think of describing the quality of work here is pathetic and horrible.
Complaint 1: Car pulling to the right. Incorrect wheel alignment.
Rectified: During my TD it was good, but while going back, in 3 kms, it started pulling to the right. And whats more, this pull became much worse than before.
Complaint 2: Rattles
Rectified: Door pad adjustments. Cost me 300 Rs. Rattles surfaced after 10 kms.
Complaint 3: Front bull bar bar nuts have gone loose.
Rectified: They did not even care about that noise. I repeatedly mentioned about that irritating noise from the crash guard when I visited them. I again mentioned during a test drive before delivery. They acted as if they did not even hear me. I did not push for it at that time. But I will give a piece of my mind during the turbo replacement and get that fixed

The main thing that I wanted them to address was the Turbo replacement and placing an order to TATA motors, and though they confirmed the fault, they did not react to it until I talked to the GM the next day evening.

Once my turbo replacement is done, I am never going back to this service station again. Please let me know if this is a one of case with me at Tejaswi motors or does everyone face similar treatment here?

Also, which would be the best TATA service center in Hyderabad that is close to Ameerpet/Jubilee hills/Madhapur? Your suggestions will be of immense help to me for my next service. Also if anyone knows a good service advisor for TATA Motors in Hyderabad, please share the contact with me.

Given a chance as with most service centers, they will loot you unless you are extra careful with them. The day I went to Tejaswi motors is the day I felt extremely sorry for IT professionals with lack of knowledge about cars. The guys at the service center will definitely catch innocent IT professionals, tell them so and so parts need to be replaced otherwise the vehicle will not work. An uninformed person will be more concerned about safety and will get the parts replaced and pay the heavy bills without a second thought. I am not saying that I am extremely knowledgeable in cars, but I could make out that most of the changes were unnecessary. A little bit of knowledge about basic parts really helps and will save a lot of money while dealing with such service centers.

Current Status:
I have much worse words for Tejaswi motors coming up. I had give the vehicle for the 3rd time and still it is not yet rectified.
I will post more details about details about turbo replacement when I get my vehicle back
Old 16th February 2011, 16:59   #19
BHPian

Hi Himavanth,

In general I give my Indica (DLS) for servicing at Malik Cars, Towli chowki and they were good. The service advisor will inform you on phone, if any parts need replacement and only if we confirm, they will proceed. Vehicle delivery is at promised time,mostly.

I went to Tejaswini Motors for my left side rear door repair/replacement due to a small accident. Total cost was around 19000/- and it was a shock for me, their service charges were high. Didnt even bothered to wash my car properly after the door has been replaced and re-painted, had to talk to some higher-level person to get it washed properly. :(

Definitely would not recommend Tejaswini Motors for servicing.

Thanks,
Srinivas.R
Old 23rd January 2012, 13:00   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriswe View Post
Hi Himavanth,

In general I give my Indica (DLS) for servicing at Malik Cars, Towli chowki and they were good. The service advisor will inform you on phone, if any parts need replacement and only if we confirm, they will proceed. Vehicle delivery is at promised time,mostly.
Thanks a lot for this suggestion. I have now given my vehicle to Mallik Cars where the car was originally bought. The service seems to be more professional atleast for the time being. Let us just hope that even after the service, I will have the same words to say.

Sorry for the delayed updates.

Service at 43K kms. This was a service that I had no other choice. I attribute this to the incompetent work done by Tejaswi motors on my Safari. (This is just my thought as all evidences point out to that)

After the 40k Kms service, I was going to go for a trip to Munnar. Generally I do trips during night and on the way to Bangalore(Hyd - Bangalore - Munnar), near Pununkonda (In the middle of no where - 60kms from Anantapur), my Alternator belt snapped.
As per the service center in Bangalore, the engine shield (After turbo replacement) was incorrectly fitted. Due to this incorrect fitting, the Engine shield melted a bit and the bolt from engine shield got loose. The bolt directly fell on the alternator belt due to which the alternator belt snapped. Now alternator motor was running loosely without any belt. Excess load fell on the alternator pulley and there was a bend on the pulley.

Since alternator belt is also used to charge the battery while running, the battery got discharged. The starter motor also was damaged as I was tried to start a couple of times after this.

The immediate reaction after the belt broke was a loud sound from the engine following a loss of power in the power steering. The steering was absolutely unmanageable. it became rock solid and we could hardly maneuver the vehicle. We stopped the vehicle immediately in the middle of highway at 12 Midnight to check and immediately found that the belt was broken. We called up the TATA call center and they were very incompetent. They did not know where Penukonda or Anantapur is. So finally we thought bangalore was a famous place and would try to reach bangalore with the vehicle. Luckly still some battery charge was left and the vehicle started. We knew that the road has no sharp turns upto the toll gate Airport toll gate in Bangalore. So we drove at 30kmph staying at the extreme left. Finally at 4 AM we reached bangalore toll. We then called up the TATA call center and now they could understand where we were.

The TATA guys immediately sent a tow truck to tow the vehicle to the nearest service center which was Prerana Motors. We slept at the showroom and immediately at 9 AM got it checked. they gave us the above story and alternator pulley and starter motor needed replacement along with the belt.

The replacements were done and we got back the vehicle at 5 30 PM. A whole day of the trip got wasted and we were very very mad at Tejaswi motors.

The delay was because apparently, starter motors are sourced from TVS. The starter motor from the service center was taken to TVS service center where they said it needed replacement. And for the part to arrive it took so long.

After all these hassles I decided not to go to Tejaswi motors again. I wanted to lodge a formal complaint against them. But I did not have enough evidence apart from the story mentioned by Prerana Motors. Plus they can always say that while running the shield got dislodged. Hence left it as it is.

However I really felt that Prerana motors in Bangalore on the ORR (Hosur Road) I believe in front the Bellandur lake is really professional and I rate the service among the best. They understood that we had distance to cover and they pushed TVS to check the motor on a priority basis as TVS had some half day off that day. I think I would put 4.5 out of 5 for their serivce and facilities. During the night, the watchman opened a rest room for us to sleep in as well

Pic of car in servicing
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_0122.jpg

Another pic on the bay
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_0119.jpg

Pics of the Service center entry area. Very clean and Very neat
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_0129.jpg

The location of service center was quite good. So we could do some time pass by doing boating that is right across the road.
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_0107.jpg

Now the 60K service came up. I gave the vehicle to Mallik Cars in Hyderabad. I will update the thread as soon as I get the vehicle back.
Old 24th January 2012, 14:53   #21
BHPian

The Mallik Cars at Hyderabad seem to be much more professional. The 60k Kms service seems to put a big dent into my pocket as my finances are going haywire.

Extended warranty covers only Engine and Gear Box. Does timing assembly come under engine i.e the extended warranty? Mallik cars say that it is not part of extended warranty so he will not be able to replace it under warranty. I want to confirm this with other BHPians who own a safari about this.

Below is the list of issues that my car currently has and needs replacements.

1. Brake Pads - Completely worn off
2. Brake Liners - Still checking. May need replacement
3. Timing assembly in a bad shape. A very bad shape. The following needs replacement in the timing assembly:
a. Water Pump
b. Timing Chain/Belt
c. Idlers and Pulleys (Not sure what these are. Need to google)
The timing assembly replacement itself is estimated around 14k INR.

4. Tie Rod replacement. This was replaced under warranty at Tejaswi Motors. Not sure why this replacement has come about just within 1 year of the new part. Anyway i still have to go and check the part in my vehicle. I want to confirm if Tejaswi put in original parts or not. I am very sceptical now.

Edit: I have checked the tie rods. One is completely bent. I think this got bent in one of my adventures.

5. Front suspension bushes

In addition to this I have requested a change in the following oils:

1. Engine Oil (From Synthetic to Mineral Oil) . I felt that Mineral oil is much better for safari. I dont rev the engine hard. Plus I am more comfortable with an 7k Kms service interval rather than the 15k kms service interval.
2. Gear Oil
3. Differential Oil
4. Brake Oil
5. Power Steering Oil
6. Suspension Oil

In addition to all this, I have tyre replacement due. This is a must before my planned trip to Sikkim.

I will update as soon as I get back my car tomorrow with details of bill and workmanship and my rating of Mallik Cars service center.

I think mine is the only car which has gone to so many service centers.

1. Car bought at Mallik Cars Hyderabad.
2. Service 1, 2 - Concorde Motors.
3. Service 3, 18K Kms, 25K Kms service - Mallik cars
Till Here the first owner took care. My ownership started at 26k KMs
4. General Checkup at 26K Kms - Concorde
5. Service at 30 K kms - OMR checkpoint Chennai
6. 38K kms service at Tejaswi Motors Hyderabad (Moved to Synthetic Oil hence service interval was now 15k Kms)
7. Impromptu 43k kms service - Prerana Motors Bangalore
8. 58 K kms service - Mallik Cars Hyderabad.

Best so far are Mallik Cars Hyderabad and Prerana Motors Bangalore. Followed by OMR Checkpoint Chennai.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 24th January 2012 at 15:03.
Old 24th January 2012, 15:22   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Extended warranty covers only Engine and Gear Box. Does timing assembly come under engine i.e the extended warranty? Mallik cars say that it is not part of extended warranty so he will not be able to replace it under warranty. I want to confirm this with other BHPians who own a safari about this.
Check this link to find out list of parts covered under extended warranty: Tata Motors Customer Care :: Must Know See the "Parts coverage" section on this page.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 15:23   #23
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Pls note response in Bold inline
Quote:
The Mallik Cars at Hyderabad seem to be much more professional.
Extended warranty covers only Engine and Gear Box. Does timing assembly come under engine i.e the extended warranty? NO

Mallik cars say that it is not part of extended warranty so he will not be able to replace it under warranty. I want to confirm this with other BHPians who own a safari about this.

Below is the list of issues that my car currently has and needs replacements.

1. Brake Pads - Completely worn off
2. Brake Liners - Still checking. May need replacement
3. Timing assembly in a bad shape. A very bad shape. The following needs replacement in the timing assembly:
a. Water Pump
b. Timing Chain/Belt
c. Idlers and Pulleys (Not sure what these are. Need to google)
The timing assembly replacement itself is estimated around 14k INR.
Timing belt assembly should include timing belt, water pump, idlers and pulley. - Belt will definately not be in warranty, for the rest check the warranty manual they may or may not be in warranty, but typically may require a change around 60k kms.

4. Tie Rod replacement. This was replaced under warranty at Tejaswi Motors. Not sure why this replacement has come about just within 1 year of the new part. Edit: I have checked the tie rods. One is completely bent. I think this got bent in one of my adventures.
Yep tie rod ends can be easily damaged in rough driving that does happen a fair bit by default in any Safari.

5. Front suspension bushes
Yep should be due about now for you.

In addition to this I have requested a change in the following oils:

1. Engine Oil (From Synthetic to Mineral Oil) . I felt that Mineral oil is much better for safari. I dont rev the engine hard. Plus I am more comfortable with an 7k Kms service interval rather than the 15k kms service interval.
Yes 7=9K interval seems more practial for the Safari.
2. Gear Oil
3. Differential Oil
4. Brake Oil
5. Power Steering Oil
6. Suspension Oil

Best so far are Mallik Cars Hyderabad and Prerana Motors Bangalore. Followed by OMR Checkpoint Chennai.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th January 2012, 16:18   #24
BHPian

Thanks for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Check this link to find out list of parts covered under extended warranty: Tata Motors Customer Care :: Must Know See the "Parts coverage" section on this page.

Cheers,
Vikram
I have checked your link and the extended warranty does not cover any of the parts in the timing assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Pls note response in Bold inline
I was aware of most of the expenses. But I was not ready for the leakage in water pump as there was no water trickling down. I was also not ready for the tie rods issue.
Rest of changes were inline with my estimations.

I have came back from the service center and checked the Brake liners. They are completely worn out. So these needs replacement as well.
I will be getting back my vehicle tomorrow. As per the service engineer, everything was perfectly fine. According to him, the next Major replacements will be coming in the 90K Kms service. That would about a year or year and half according to me. So need to save up money for that time .
Old 24th January 2012, 16:52   #25
v&v
Senior - BHPian

Himavanth,

I recently had issue of coolant leakage from water-pump. The entire timing kit was replace under EW. Gasket and IDLER was paid for.

Here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2572338
Old 24th January 2012, 17:18   #26
Senior - BHPian

Why not take it out and get fixed? You will save a lot IMHO. Front brake pads replacement work gonna cost you 3.5k to 4k while if done from outside would cost only 1800Rs-ish.

And IIRC,timing belt etc wont cost more than 6k ( I read it somewhere here @ TBHP).

Front suspension 10k up I guess. I spend 17k.
Old 24th January 2012, 18:15   #27
v&v
Senior - BHPian

You are right JK. Mine was around 6.3 k.
Old 24th January 2012, 19:16   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v&v View Post
Himavanth,

I recently had issue of coolant leakage from water-pump. The entire timing kit was replace under EW. Gasket and IDLER was paid for.

Here is the link
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post2572338
I have asked for EW on the timing kit. But they said it was due at 60K Kms. I will press for EW on the timing kit again tomorrow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Why not take it out and get fixed? You will save a lot IMHO. Front brake pads replacement work gonna cost you 3.5k to 4k while if done from outside would cost only 1800Rs-ish.

And IIRC,timing belt etc wont cost more than 6k ( I read it somewhere here @ TBHP).

Front suspension 10k up I guess. I spend 17k.
Thanks for the inputs. I will get it done in the service center this time. From next time onwards, I will get it done outside.

I think did a mistake in my previous post. The front suspension bushes were due for replacement, but the condition is still good. As per the mechanic, he was expecting a life of another 15K kms atleast. So they will not be replaced. However, the rear suspension bushes and Kit had very less life left in it. I unfortunately did not get a chance to check the condition of worn out suspension but my father checked it and said they were in pretty bad shape.

Some of the pics from my servicing below:

Car at the Service bay
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1820.jpg

Worn out Tie rods
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1828.jpg
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1829.jpg

New tie rods on the Safari:
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1815.jpg

Worn out brake pads:
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1823.jpg

Look how thin the pad became
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1826.jpg

I could not get pic of new ones. But pic after installation of new pads
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1816.jpg

Rear suspension kit after installation: I dont know what these rods are called. Can anyone tell me?
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1818.jpg
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1830.jpg

Final pic after assembly
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1821.jpg

Trivia question: Can anyone guess what this is? It is right beside the fuel tank behind.
Tata Safari VX 4x4 - Ownership review (at 40,000 kms)-img_1819.jpg

I apologize for the bad quality phone pics. But this is all I could manage at the service center.

Also any Hyd BHPians can recommend a place for my next service for Safari? As others suggested, I think it makes sense to get the service done outside saving cash.
My next service would most probably require replacement of brake liners for rear brakes and front suspension bushes.

Last edited by himavanth_m : 24th January 2012 at 19:19.
Old 24th January 2012, 20:06   #29
v&v
Senior - BHPian

IMO timing belt change is done only at 90,000 kms or 105000 kms not at 60,000. Push for EW or write to TML.
Refer user user manual also.

The last pic is of Sedimenter.

Last edited by v&v : 24th January 2012 at 20:13.
Old 24th January 2012, 20:25   #30
BHPian

Quote:

I apologize for the bad quality phone pics. But this is all I could manage at the service center.

Also any Hyd BHPians can recommend a place for my next service for Safari? As others suggested, I think it makes sense to get the service done outside saving cash.
My next service would most probably require replacement of brake liners for rear brakes and front suspension bushes.
Looks like the second Safari in the 1st pic posted by you is my Safari

I gave my car for similar suspension and brakes work yesterday 23rd Jan. I remember seeing you and your safari with the TBHP sticker on the rear.

Nice Coincidence

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks