Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 13th November 2016, 14:27   #1141
Senior - BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak View Post
Hi bluevolt.

Happy 6th Birthday to Venus . I own a September 2010 V-MT in Bold Beige Metallic, and my baby celebrated her 6th this September as well . I can't believe my car turned six. It still drives as nicely as it did the day I got it!
Thanks FordFreak.

Quote:

The only major issue I have faced is rust. I had rust on 3 of my doors (driver door was intact), and body shop also found very minor rust on my one of my fenders as well as the rocker panels.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3815245

I too have faced a bit of rusting issue with my Car as well. Refer to the above post for details and pictures. I am trying to control it as much as I can and as of now the original rust has not expanded much.

Quote:

Whenever I do sell, I am sure to feel miserable as this generation of the City was by far the best City to drive, IMHO.

Wish you many more happy miles!
Indeed the 3rd Gen City is the best City if we consider all 4 generations till date. That's the reason I want to keep my City as long as possible. 5th Gen City in 2019 will be worth waiting for. I hope Honda will make corrections to solve the problems that are affecting the reliability of the current gen City.

Quote:

(Let's not hijack bluevolt's thread by going )
Not at all an issue mate. It is good to discuss issues related to our City doesn't matter whosoever the thread started be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aghate View Post
Congratulations on funtastic 6 years!
Thanks Aghate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats Bluevolt! Your car has turned 6 in style . This thread is the 6th most read active ownership report on Team-BHP.

Talk about celebrating a birthday in style .
Thanks GTO for letting us know about this interesting fact about this thread. Indeed a special birthday it was for Venus.

I try to update the thread with relevant details whenever I can and I hope I will continue to do so as well. I hope the thread is helpful for 3rd Gen City Owners.

Thanks a lot everyone.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 19:39   #1142
BHPian

Hi bluevolt,

Have you experienced any issues with the Clutch of Venus, say the Service Center requesting to replace the assembly? When I got mine a year ago the SA said that the clutch may need replacement as the car has lost a bit of acceleration power. The cost is immense at 27k. I told him that I am happy with it as of now. Not that I could make out a lot of difference in power as I was new to driving.

What I have experienced is the clutch sometimes seems to act weird. I mean, when I lift off the first the car may jerk a bit and stall(like ON & OFF). Very rare thing to happen but it does, I have to be very precise with the biting point unlike new cars that I have driven.

Current ODO: 48k+ kms.

Thanks,
aghate
Old 13th November 2016, 21:16   #1143
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi bluevolt,

Have you experienced any issues with the Clutch of Venus, say the Service Center requesting to replace the assembly? When I got mine a year ago the SA said that the clutch may need replacement as the car has lost a bit of acceleration power. The cost is immense at 27k. I told him that I am happy with it as of now. Not that I could make out a lot of difference in power as I was new to driving.

What I have experienced is the clutch sometimes seems to act weird. I mean, when I lift off the first the car may jerk a bit and stall(like ON & OFF). Very rare thing to happen but it does, I have to be very precise with the biting point unlike new cars that I have driven.

Thanks,
aghate
Hi Aghate,

You should simply not fall in the trap of what the service center people say.

If you have any doubt about the clutch, get it checked from 2-3 different mechanics and take quotes from good workshops. I would not mind to suggest to get this job done from non-Honda garage if your car is out of warranty and the amount difference is substantial.

My Venus is at 43500 KMs mark and I have no complaint regarding the clutch and its performance till date. Though my WagonR's clutch burnt out and replaced with a new one at 45K Kms back. But then it may not be a good idea to compare Maruti with Honda maybe!

Clutch life is mostly dependant on usage pattern, number of different people driving your car(each has different style of driving, some are new who cause maximum damage to the clutch), quality of the part itself.

So all in all, it is a consumable item, but make sure it actually require a replacement and don't believe simply what the SVC personnel has to say.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th November 2016, 22:09   #1144
BHPian

Quote:
Hi bluevolt,

Thanks,
aghate
What you are facing is probably because the 3rd gen city has a very short clutch travel. You are correct about having to be being precise about the biting point, it is much easier to stall than other cars, but nothing you can't get used to. My car has run 45k kms and the stock clutch feels absolutely perfect. I would say it is lighter than my 18k kms run grandi10's clutch also.
rayjaycleoful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2016, 13:18   #1145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayjaycleoful View Post
What you are facing is probably because the 3rd gen city has a very short clutch travel. You are correct about having to be being precise about the biting point, it is much easier to stall than other cars, but nothing you can't get used to. My car has run 45k kms and the stock clutch feels absolutely perfect. I would say it is lighter than my 18k kms run grandi10's clutch also.

That is exactly what happens. Thanks for the explanation. Couldn't find info online. The ODO was 41k when I got it. Have driven around for 7k myself. The engine is sweet. I expect the clutch to last longer. If I sense any issue I will definitely get it checked from a local workshop.

Somehow, I am very happy that I got a pre-owned City than going for a new 6 Lac+ Car a year ago. Cost me much less.
I just need to change the stock headlights as I believe they are not powerful enough.
Old 21st January 2017, 18:25   #1146
Senior - BHPian

My Honda City is due for service interval. It has reached 44,950 KMs and the last service was done at 35,000 KMs. I switched to fully synthetic oil last time thus increasing the service interval from 5k to 10k kms.

Please suggest and list out what all mandatory tasks I need to carry out during service including oil change.

Should engine cleaning/decarbonisation/ included on an engine with 45,000 KMs age? What about engine flushing? Also the braking still seems to be good with no lack of bite during sudden braking as well. I hope brakes only requires pads cleaning.

I don't want to spend a penny extra on anything which is not required or worth and mostly included by Honda SVCs to rip off the money from customers.

Tyre change is also due along with the service. Though they can last another 5k KMs, but considering there age (5+ years) I am planning to replace them.

Any suggestions for tyre brand? I will be going with stock specifications only.

Planning to keep Venus till the 6th Generation City is released and I believe that is at least 2-3 years away.
Old 21st January 2017, 21:30   #1147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post

Tyre change is also due along with the service. Though they can last another 5k KMs, but considering there age (5+ years) I am planning to replace them.

I would suggest Michelin XM2s or Yoko Earth 1s. The latter are cheaper, but have stronger sidewalls. But at triple digit speeds, I found them to be marginally noisier than the Michelins. I've used the XM2s for 49500 kms on my Figo and have plonked in Yokos after that. The Yokos have covered around 6000 kms so far, offering a very pleasant experience.

The only issue is that the FE of the Figo seems to have dropped by a couple of kilometers, but that could be due to Bangalore traffic. The Michelins were used when the car was in Hyderabad.

By the way, I think your thread needs to be moved to the LTO group, as your car has completed 6 years!

Last edited by vnabhi : 21st January 2017 at 21:32.
Old 22nd January 2017, 02:59   #1148
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
My Honda City is due for service interval. It has reached 44,950 KMs and the last service was done at 35,000 KMs. I switched to fully synthetic oil last time thus increasing the service interval from 5k to 10k kms.

Please suggest and list out what all mandatory tasks I need to carry out during service including oil change.
The only extra thing I get at each service is the throttle body cleaning. Costs about 800.

Quote:
I got the Bridgestone B250 for 4900 a piece for my City.

Four new tyres, and kept the better one from the old lot as the spare. From now on, will maintain a four-tyre rotation with the spare strictly when there's a flat on the regular ones.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 22nd January 2017 at 03:00.
Old 23rd January 2017, 00:27   #1149
BHPian

Quote:

When I got mine I fitted the Michelin XM2s. Cost me 5150/- each. The performance so far in around 7000 kms has been impeccable. Very less noise on cement roads, hardly noticeable on tar roads. I have been on very bad and bumpy roads and they have handled well. Would highly recommend if your primary usage is City and Highway driving.

I did observe significant rise in the average/ltr. I am getting around 12-15 kmpl in moderate traffic conditions and 18-20 on the highways at speeds averaging between 90-110 kph. All figures with A/C on. Needless to say that the Car computer shows overwhelming figures but I have done a bit of manual calculation.
Old 24th January 2017, 11:50   #1150
BHPian

Hey Friends...

My 2008 City VTEC plus is due for a brake pad replacement (front and rear) The Honda SVC guys ( Crystal Honda) quoted 8k ( Front + Rear pads) plus labour for all of this.
I know that's expensive but lack of good mechanics around here is forcing me to get these changed from the SVC. Other things I'll be getting done since my car has done about 40k+ kms and has been lying around for a while

- Brake fluid replacement along with new brake pads ( as per service requirements)
- Coolant flush and replacement
- General service ( oil& air filter)

I got the throttle bodies cleaned myself and it did make a huge difference in the way the car moves now. Is there anything else that I must do? Also is there anyone from Pune who can recommend a reliable Honda service station / mechanic in case I want to do it outside?

Thanks,

Aditya Dhavale
Old 24th January 2017, 12:28   #1151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crankpin View Post
My 2008 City VTEC plus is due for a brake pad replacement (front and rear) The Honda SVC guys ( Crystal Honda) quoted 8k ( Front + Rear pads) plus labour for all of this.
Aditya Dhavale
Brake pads are only in front and not rear. Maybe he meant both the front pads change. I had done this in April 2015 from Solitaire Honda service centre in Mumbai. My total cost of service+ oil change + Brake pads + Disc Skim was Rs 8100 inclusive of all taxes.

Unless costs would have gone up now it should be more or less same. I have a G3 Honda city that's a little over 7 years old now.
Old 24th January 2017, 12:51   #1152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manishkapadia View Post
Brake pads are only in front and not rear. Maybe he meant both the front pads change. I had done this in April 2015 from Solitaire Honda service centre in Mumbai. My total cost of service+ oil change + Brake pads + Disc Skim was Rs 8100 inclusive of all taxes.

Unless costs would have gone up now it should be more or less same. I have a G3 Honda city that's a little over 7 years old now.
Manish ji,

The City VTEC Plus came with all 4 disc brakes (Front and rear)unlike the current city which has only front disc brakes and rear drum brakes. So 4 brake pads in all...!
I guess i'll need a disc skim job too and all 4...!

Thanks
Old 24th January 2017, 12:59   #1153
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Friends...

I know that's expensive but lack of good mechanics around here is forcing me to get these changed from the SVC. Other things I'll be getting done since my car has done about 40k+ kms and has been lying around for a while

- Brake fluid replacement along with new brake pads ( as per service requirements)
- Coolant flush and replacement
- General service ( oil& air filter)

I got the throttle bodies cleaned myself and it did make a huge difference in the way the car moves now. Is there anything else that I must do? Also is there anyone from Pune who can recommend a reliable Honda service station / mechanic in case I want to do it outside?

Thanks,

Aditya Dhavale

By coolant flush you mean only radiator flush or complete coolant system flush? HASS will do only radiator flush unless you tell them explicitly. If coolant is old enough, then full system flush is recommended. They will have to drain engine block as well by removing drain plug.

About brake pads, it's not very tough job to replace pads, if you like to get hands dirty then it can be done at home as well. 8k for just front brake pads is overkill. I changed my civic pads 1 year ago with Nissin aftermarket for less than half of HASS price. Remaining money I invested for other betterment in car instead of filling Honda pocket.
Old 24th January 2017, 14:59   #1154
BHPian

Yeah changing brake pads is possible at home too but the skimming part will be difficult as I'll have to remove the disc rotors from the hub.

Also, where do I get the original/ OEM brake pads from? Will Honda sell me these over the counter? Don't think so...!

8k for all 4 disc pads...4.5 for front disc pads and 3.5 for the rear disc brake pads plus whatever labor charges.

Coolant flush using distilled water ideally should be for the whole engine as mixing of old and new coolant isn't desirable
Old 25th January 2017, 02:09   #1155
BHPian

Quote:

Also is there anyone from Pune who can recommend a reliable Honda service station / mechanic in case I want to do it outside?
I stay in Chinchwad and I get mine serviced from Deccan Honda in Pimpri. So far the experience has been good. If you are staying somewhere near to PCMC then I would recommend that Service Center.

Regards,
aghate

Most Viewed