Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th June 2011, 11:10   #226
BHPian

Re: Honda City i-VTEC Ownership Report - The Story So Far !

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanaticOnWheels View Post
When I say difficulty, it's somewhat harder compared to slotting the car into say higher gears. I'm comparing it with the butter smooth shifts of the city that generally is the case. I just find 1st gear a tad harder to engage while the car is in motion (>6-7 km/hr). Hard is again a relative term, though it require less force, compared to the ease with which the car slots into higher gears, the first gear seems to be a bit harder. I don't know if this is some safety feature that Honda has thought of to avoid accidental engaging of first gear at reasonable speeds?
Yep - I agree with you.
The 1st gear is bit hard to engage when at bit higher speeds. To be precise its butter smooth as others when engaged below 5 kmph near to dead slow.
Actually I never faced this problem because I never even subconsciously engaged the 1st at the"harder" speeds.
I think the reason could be more related to 1st gear not being synchromesh - I could be wrong can anyone confirm??
Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 7th June 2011 at 11:12.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:12   #227
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Just a query : I find it difficult to slot the vehicle into first gear unless the vehicle is literally at 0 km/hr.
I can slot it into 1st easily; there isn't much of a problem. Most modern cars have started having this feature.

Although I don't release the clutch until the car is at speeds within the 1st gear limit.
Old 7th June 2011, 11:24   #228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
never even subconsciously engaged the 1st at the"harder" speeds. I think the reason could be more related to 1st gear not being synchromesh - I could be wrong can anyone confirm??
May be this is the reason I am not still feeling it, will again check in evening. As far as I know all forward gears are synchronized.

Last edited by bluevolt : 7th June 2011 at 11:26.
Old 7th June 2011, 18:19   #229
BHPian

Though it isn't a manor issue of any sort, I started observing this while taking on speed breakers. I generally slow the car down to speeds of 4-6 km/hr and run over the speed breaker while the car generally stays in 2nd gear. After the car goes over the speed breaker, I generally downshift to first since I don't like hearing signs of knocking (though very faint at those speeds, but it shows that pulling from 4 km/hr with 4 people with AC is not a cakewalk in 2nd gear), and I find it harder to slot the vehicle into first gear.

I think you guys should try slotting the vehicle into first gear at speeds of say 10-15 km/hr and see if there's any difference.
Old 7th June 2011, 20:07   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think you guys should try slotting the vehicle into first gear at speeds of say 10-15 km/hr and see if there's any difference.
AFAIK, 1st gear should be engaged only when the vehicle is a standstill. Its bad for the synchronizer if you try engaging it at speeds.
Old 8th June 2011, 14:33   #231
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Cleaned the engine bay today evening. I guess its OK now.
bluevolt, good to see the engine bay cleaned.
But you still need to get the dry leaves from the wiper cowl to be removed
I want all ANHC owners to check while washing the car especially the front wind shield, does the water flow into the wiper cowl and then get settled in the pit of the 2 front wheel struts.
This happens in my case and so I use to consciously either wipe the struts clean or keep some tissues over the pit so that the wash water gets absorbed.
I have taken pictures of this and will post it on my thread which I haven't updated for a long time.
@fanticonwheels, do you have an ownership thread?

HC
Old 8th June 2011, 14:40   #232
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
bluevolt, good to see the engine bay cleaned.
But you still need to get the dry leaves from the wiper cowl to be removed
Yup I removed them at that time only after finishing the job, the picture was taken just after washing. I will keep it clean regularly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habanero City View Post
I have taken pictures of this and will post it on my thread which I haven't updated for a long time.

HC
Please post pictures so that I can understand about this issue.

Last edited by bluevolt : 8th June 2011 at 14:42.
Old 11th June 2011, 23:24   #233
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
I was keen in observing the speedo error by matching it with the speed shown by HU display. And to my surprise there was hardly any error.
Which three buttons should we press to get the digital speedo on the music system display?
Old 12th June 2011, 00:09   #234
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajman28 View Post
Which three buttons should we press to get the digital speedo on the music system display?
Hi ajman,

attaching the figure which will help you in using the function.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-20091201_131151_honda.jpg  

bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2011, 00:12   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
AFAIK, 1st gear should be engaged only when the vehicle is a standstill. Its bad for the synchronizer if you try engaging it at speeds.
Can you elaborate? At crawling speeds, slotting it to 1st gear must be better then staying in 2nd and keep engaging/dis-engaging (or even half engaging) the clutch.
Old 12th June 2011, 20:28   #236
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Can you elaborate? At crawling speeds, slotting it to 1st gear must be better then staying in 2nd and keep engaging/dis-engaging (or even half engaging) the clutch.
Drove the car today again for a fairly long distance in the city (~20 kms). Now, there was this slight stiffness in the gear stick while moving towards first gear at speeds of under 10 km/hr.

Let me reiterate, stiffness here is a very relative term. To change gear from, say 2nd to 3rd, all I need is a very slight push to get it to neutral (no great surprise, since gears are always happy to fall into neutral), but then I only need a slight push again to push it into 3rd, or into any gear for that matter. It's that butter smooth, typical of a Honda.

However, when I move at say sub - 10 km/hr speeds, (mostly the case after going over a speed breaker), I generally slot it into first gear, since there is very slight knocking at speeds of say 6-7 km/hr (with 3-4 people on board, full A/C), and I don't like that. I require some extra force to put it into first gear in such a case.

However, the force required is less than what is required in our Palio to slot the first gear even when it is at rest.
Old 12th June 2011, 22:45   #237
Senior - BHPian

It gives me great pleasure to announce that after lots of consideration I have named my ride "Venus".

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-city.jpg

I was inspired by many bhpians (guderian, mdsaab, dot, and ace) who have named their rides. It took some time for me as I was not able to get a suitable one for my car. But this evening it was there in my mind. This name is appropriate for this car. It is B.E.A.U.F.U.L and it is red, so thus the name "Venus". I hope you all like the name too.

BTW The car has completed 4900 KMs; I am going to get the car serviced this weekend. Thinking of booking the service tomorrow itself so that I didn’t have to wait for long, let’s see if they take booking this early. I am also planning to get underbody treatment for the car as the monsoon is approaching north in couple of weeks. Let's see how it goes.

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th June 2011 at 22:50.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 16:12   #238
Senior - BHPian

Booked the service for 18 June, Token number is N-1 i.e. my car would be the first one to be attended. I asked the SA advisor to transfer my call to accessories department. I inquired about leather/art leather seat covers, body cover and the under-body anti rust treatment. The person quoted me 1500 for the body cover which I feel is quite reasonable. Art leather seat covers range starts from 5900 (art leather) to 21000 (pure leather). I will probably settle below for one which costs below 10K (budget constraint). Under body anti-rust treatment costs around 3000, they use some 3M spray for the job.

The guy also told me that it will take 2-3 hours to get seat covers stitched and further 1-2 hours for the anti-rust treatment job. Guess I have to skip either one of the job, don't have that much time to leave the car at service center. Let's see how it goes.

I will also do a photo shoot of the car if I find some time this week and will post snaps with the service report.

Till then take care.
Old 13th June 2011, 16:42   #239
BHPian

Quote:
It gives me great pleasure to announce that after lots of consideration I have named my ride "Venus".
"Venus" is a Good name

Quote:
Under body anti-rust treatment costs around 3000, they use some 3M spray for the job.
Are you sure want to do the underbody anti-rust treatment?
AFAIK the most of the modern cars including Honda are already pre-coated from below and don't require this.
IMO its required in coastal cities (High Humidity) to take of rust where bare metal is exposed due to bottom scraping; Delhi & North India shouldn't required this.

Quote:
I will also do a photo shoot of the car if I find some time this week and will post snaps with the service report.
I see you already got rid of the bonnet ribbon
Looking forward to lot of pics of your cute Venus.

Last edited by RemingtonSteele : 13th June 2011 at 16:46.
RemingtonSteele is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2011, 19:34   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemingtonSteele View Post
Are you sure want to do the underbody anti-rust treatment?
AFAIK the most of the modern cars including Honda are already pre-coated from below and don't require this.
IMO its required in coastal cities (High Humidity) to take of rust where bare metal is exposed due to bottom scraping; Delhi & North India shouldn't required this.
To be honest we never did an under body anti rust treatment for our WagonR and it is over four year old and no problem till date. I was interested in anti-rust treatment for this car just because it is new and this would be its first monsoon season.

You are actually right that this is required in the coastal regions or places where there is lots of rainfall like in Mumbai. I will try to avoid the under body coating.

Last edited by bluevolt : 13th June 2011 at 19:38.

Most Viewed