Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2012, 11:33   #796
BANNED

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

I agree that you should raise hell. Why not e-mail Honda at customer_relations@hondacarindia.com They are pretty good in responding. Also, it sounds like a rare case of the battery not surviving for even two years!
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 11:45   #797
Distinguished - BHPian

Hey Arup, sorry for not responding at the earliest.

Lying dormant for a month and then not cranking up indicates a drained and weak battery definitely, but get your car checked for rats snipping through the wires as well.

As regards the reply and service you are getting (so far), call up the dealer helpline number and give them a good dose. They are the ones responsible for the service and they simply cannot just transfer your call without assurance of prompt service. Tell them what the breakdown van guy said, and ask them to send over a mechanic from their workshop immediately.

Hear what they have to say in their reply, and then get a good, trusty mechanic to give a thorough check to your car. If all wires, connections and relays are good, get the battery taken out for charging, or jump-start with his help and drive up to Honda's nearest workshop.

By the way, do email the customer relations as well, describing your entire experience. They will give the local dealer a nice little kick on the backside, and next time you call them you will get better service.

All the best. Keep us posted on how things go.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 11th May 2012 at 11:47.
RavenAvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 13:13   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderinthestorm View Post
@mdsaab: could you please help me find a similar spoiler for my Honda. can't track it down on the net.

It will be great help!
Yup, you can get this as genuine Honda Accessory from any dealer in your area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
With 1500 km done in past week, the car also completed 20,000 km in 23rd month
Congrats Sn1p3r on achieving the 20K KM mark! City getting mature day by day! You are getting excellent mileage too! Now a days my car is also giving over 14.4KMPL (MID) even with 100% A/C ON in city traffic.

Is this Bajaj Allianz thorugh Honda assure?

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Sorry for the completely off-topic reference.

Guys need your help urgently. My city was lying parked for about a month as I was away traveling off and on on work. Today morning I though of taking it for a spin, however the car just didn't start. I tried cranking it a couple of times but it just wouldn't come to life.
First of all is the engine cranking freely (if it is sluggish then it may be a weak battery). Also I guess you have some after market stuff as well in your car? Ensure that accessories must not be discharging the battery. Rest don't worry, everything will be fine.

Quote:
Then he goes on to tell me there's nothing more than a dead battery so its better if I call a local mechanic to jump start. I questioned him on why should I use a local mechanic when I have Honda RSA, he tells me that RSA is not for such petty things and disconnects the call.

I'm not going to take this lying down. But before this I need to start my car. You think I should do this myself or call the local mechanic?
Well this behavior is totally unacceptable, This guy don't deserves to be working for Honda. Call the Honda dealer/Helpline and tell them about that fellow's response. RSA will be at your doorstep even if your tyre is punctured. If they take so long then why on earth this service is called as road side assistance, very poor! When my car's power window switch was not working they were at my place within 30 minutes of calling!

Don't take the car to local mechanic, follow Honda guys on phone and they will be right at your doorstep.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th May 2012 at 13:17.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 17:07   #799
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt
Congrats Sn1p3r on achieving the 20K KM mark! City getting mature day by day! You are getting excellent mileage too! Now a days my car is also giving over 14.4KMPL (MID) even with 100% A/C ON in city traffic.

Is this Bajaj Allianz thorugh Honda assure?

Well this behavior is totally unacceptable
Firstly, I agree that RSA behavior lowers Honda *** and customer centricity. It should be bought to the right person's notice. All the best Arup.

Thanks BV the car is a delight, simple drive or testing the revv limiter the economy mentioned was only highway. My local drive of about 16 km both ways during peak traffic and 100% AC on yields approx 13-15 kmpl max. Not bad for my partner's new Verna gives him 10-11 kmpl on the same stretch.

Nope this is not Allianz from Secure, but Policy Bazar is power selling them.

Kindly request all the owners reading the forum to comment on my previous query about the IDV and what should be a good value premium.

Thanks!

Last edited by Sn1p3r : 11th May 2012 at 17:08.
Sn1p3r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2012, 20:38   #800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I agree that you should raise hell.
Thanks sgiitk; A strong worded mail to customer care worked pretty well. Within 15 minutes I got a call from the dealer helpline who assured me that a break-down van would reach my premises in half an hours time. And boy they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
First of all is the engine cranking freely....after market stuff as well in your car.
Thanks Anmol, for your advise. The engine wasn't cranking freely that's what worried me. Though in the back of my mind I had this little feeling that the problem is related to battery but wasn't completely sure.

After market are only speakers and HU that too doesnt put much load on the battery. Had checked the multimeter reading post installation to be sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
get your car checked for rats snipping through the wires as well.
Thanks Avi thankfully not rodent trouble. The mail to CC worked like a charm and the dealers sprung into action.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sn1p3r View Post
Firstly, I agree that RSA behavior lowers Honda *** and customer centricity. It should be bought to the right person's notice. All the best Arup.

Thanks Sn1p3r a tough worded mail did the trick. But I still am unhappy. Why do we have to resort to pressure tactics to get simple work done? Is expecting at-par service (mind you I am not saying excellent) too much to ask for.
The trouble turned out nothing but a near-dead battery. A quick jump start and the growl returned. Took it out for a spin and everything seemed normal. Will monitor it for a few days. Was wondering though that should a 9-month old car battery die out so soon. Any thoughts?
Old 11th May 2012, 21:17   #801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The trouble turned out nothing but a near-dead battery. A quick jump start and the growl returned. Took it out for a spin and everything seemed normal. Will monitor it for a few days. Was wondering though that should a 9-month old car battery die out so soon. Any thoughts?
Yup, that's what I was thinking as well. Engine not cranking freely means battery low on charge.

But the question is that one month is normal idle period for any battery and it should not be discharged so soon! I have kept my WagonR idle for around 40 days and engine started in single crank in the month of Feb 2009! Same with City, it was left unused for over 20+ days last summer and no problems whatsoever.

I suggest you to get the battery replaced under warranty ASAP! Get the readings (full load test etc) checked by outside battery shop and you will get a clear idea.

Last edited by bluevolt : 11th May 2012 at 21:27.
Old 11th May 2012, 22:27   #802
BHPian

you have to understand that Batteries do come with a warranty/guarantee whatever subject to maintenance.

my city refused to start on an highway when i had just stopped the car for a tender coconut last week. I just took help of some guys on the highway to push start the car and get it home. Battery was dead, i disposed and got a new one fixed, There ends the matter.

I personally feel instead of raising such a hue and cry about a silly thing like this, we should focus to sort the issue itself and save time and effort.

Idea is to use our time productively and not waste it.
Old 13th May 2012, 19:41   #803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandans2005 View Post
I personally feel instead of raising such a hue and cry about a silly thing like this, we should focus to sort the issue itself and save time and effort.
nandans, while I agree with the issue being small, but when I am paying close to INR 1 million I don't expect parts to just give up that too when the car is less than 9 months old. Besides having paid for RSA and not getting the requisite service certainly is case of raising hell especially when abjected to care-free attitude of the break down mechanic.

We have had a Corolla in the family for nearly 8 years and never had a situation similar to the one above. So its not like I'm alien to sedans.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2012, 20:49   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when I am paying close to INR 1 million I don't expect parts to just give up that too when the car is less than 9 months old.
So What's up now? Have you got the battery checked from outside battery shop and considered warranty replacement option? Also What is the brand of your battery?
Old 14th May 2012, 09:35   #805
BHPian

Quote:
INR 1 million
1 million?? i think i paid more.

We have to understand here that the Honda gives warranty only to the car provided one takes care of the car as per the terms and conditions mentioned. I doubt if battery is included in this. I am too lazy to go to my car and pull the warranty manual to get the details.

We need to understand that battery can conk off anytime, there is no reliability on battery, electricals or electronics whatsoever. Honda can put their hands up in the air for a battery issue, which will definitely look a small thing for them. As it is we all know the quality of service Honda centres offer.

By the way, had you removed the battery terminals when your car was idle for a month ???

Last edited by nandans2005 : 14th May 2012 at 09:41.
Old 14th May 2012, 11:11   #806
BHPian

Quote:
So What's up now? Have you got the battery checked from outside battery shop and considered warranty replacement option? Also What is the brand of your battery?
Anmol, I drove over the weekend and it seemed fine. Couldn't take it to a battery shop as had to run a lot of errands. Will do that today and keep you posted. I got an Exide battery.

Quote:
1 million?? i think i paid more.....doubt if battery is included in this.
Hey nandan, don't blame yourself. I bet the high road tax in Bangalore is to take the blame for pushing the cost beyond 1mn.

I got an Exide under the hood and if I recall correctly I do have the battery warranty card as well. I'm actually upset on two counts

a) How can the battery of a 9-month old car just die out. Agree there could be issues, failures, one-off-case etc etc. But this is very strange because I have a Diesel Indica with me and it responds to the first crank even after not starting up over 1-month. Think Anmol also mentioned that his WagonR started at first crank after idling for 40 days.

b) More than the failure it is the callous attitude of RSA which is disappointing. I can live with some delay in coming to recue but I can't live with being told to get a local mechanic to do the job after having paid for RSA. That's just not done
Old 14th May 2012, 15:14   #807
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
We need to understand that battery can conk off anytime, there is no reliability on battery, electricals or electronics whatsoever.
+1

This is the reason why every auto battery manufacturer provides only one year warranty.

Quote:
Anmol, I drove over the weekend and it seemed fine. Couldn't take it to a battery shop as had to run a lot of errands. Will do that today and keep you posted. I got an Exide battery.
Exides are not considered as reliable auto batteries as compared to Amaron. Looks like I too have the Exide, will confirm though!
Old 14th May 2012, 16:18   #808
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
This is the reason why every auto battery manufacturer provides only one year warranty.
Umm.. no!

Most batteries come with 2+2/3 kind of warranty; wherein the battery is replaced if it fails within 2 years and for the next 2/3 years, it is a part-replacement warranty.

Quote:
Exides are not considered as reliable auto batteries as compared to Amaron. Looks like I too have the Exide, will confirm though!
Again, not really. I've mostly had Exide batteries on my cars and most of them have celebrated their 4 birthday! It depends on various factors like frequency of car use, use of electronics on battery etc.
Old 14th May 2012, 17:33   #809
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Umm.. no!

Most batteries come with 2+2/3 kind of warranty; wherein the battery is replaced if it fails within 2 years and for the next 2/3 years, it is a part-replacement warranty.

Again, not really. I've mostly had Exide batteries on my cars and most of them have celebrated their 4 birthday! It depends on various factors like frequency of car use, use of electronics on battery etc.
I was pointing towards stock batteries provided with new cars - all have one year warranty IIRC (I may be wrong though). I agree that Exide is not that bad but they have higher failure rate/complaints as per a battery related thread here on Team-BHP (forgot thread's name). My WagonR came with Amaron and it's five years and one month old, starts the engine within one crank!
Old 14th May 2012, 20:30   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

You are absolutely right on the clause you have mentioned here.

I'm not sure on the second one though. I have been driving since 25 years now and i have never seen my cars's batteries last so long. It is max 3 years and couple of months here and there. I havent tried any warranty stuff and don't know how actually the dealer would react when one goes to him for replacement. They may come with HAAZAR reasons to avoid giving a new one.

Quote:
I was pointing towards stock batteries provided with new cars - all have one year warranty IIRC (I may be wrong though). I agree that Exide is not that bad but they have higher failure rate/complaints as per a battery related thread here on Team-BHP (forgot thread's name). My WagonR came with Amaron and it's five years and one month old, starts the engine within one crank!
Bluevolt,

This topic of battery life is very ambiguous in nature. It is mostly to do with the built quality of the battery, usage and the maintenance of the same.

It is best to use the batterries as much they last and dispose them when it starts to give trouble. Not to scratch our heads too much on this.

Both Exide in Hosur and Amaron in Tirupati are my esteemed customers from so many years. One suggests that the other uses only recycled zinc ingots to built the batteries which are sold locally and pure zinc ingots for exports, while the other also suggests the same. It is best known to them what they are offering the buyers. We pay a heavy price for something, the quality of which is known or proven to us after few years of usage.

There is nothing much we can do about it.

I feel it is just "PLAIN LUCK"

Last edited by nandans2005 : 14th May 2012 at 20:38.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks