Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 17th December 2013, 11:50   #1021
BHPian

re: It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!

Am I seeing this correctly? Automatic is now CVT?! Torque converter gone? Can anyone of you please confirm? Whats the effect of paddle shifts for a CVT? Are CVTs suitable for such high powered cars?

I am sure the mileage will be great.
Old 17th December 2013, 11:58   #1022
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluevolt View Post
Meanwhile Not so exciting engine power specs for the 2014 diesel City.
Seems like Honda is targeting mileage conscious with 2014 city. Though the power specs does not look that impressive it may be partly off set based on vehicle weight.
Though the car looked heavy certain parts (like inside of boot lid) shows cost / weight reduction.
Old 17th December 2013, 12:07   #1023
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Am I seeing this correctly? Automatic is now CVT?! Torque converter gone? Can anyone of you please confirm? Whats the effect of paddle shifts for a CVT? Are CVTs suitable for such high powered cars?

I am sure the mileage will be great.
Honda is surprising us a lot these days with their choice of Engines and Gearboxes. While everyone expected Honda to launch the Brio with a CVT (exactly as in Thailand), they end up providing a 5 speed unit from the City.

Now when everyone expected Honda to tweak their existing 5 speed automatic gearbox for the new City, they equip the car with their in-house developed CVT transmission. Fortunately, they have provided paddles and a sport mode similar to the old city.

Till tomorrow evening, when the official T-BHP review of the City comes up, have a look at Autocar's first impressions on the car

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-367796.aspx

Last edited by rohittunga : 17th December 2013 at 12:09.
rohittunga is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th December 2013, 12:37   #1024
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohittunga View Post
Till tomorrow evening, when the official T-BHP review of the City comes up, have a look at Autocar's first impressions on the car

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-rev...ve-367796.aspx
Thank you for your post. I went through the article quickly. I am no auto-guru, but am just curious that, CVT means infinite gears (continuously variable transmission), so how can the paddle shifts assist the driver here? Isn't this a bit redundant? What will it shift to? My question may be stupid, but I am eager to know some things here.

Also, isn't this a belt? Can the belt be this strong to pull a 120 hp vehicle under load? Of course, Honda is a world leader and they would've thought about all this. I am interested to know fellow BHPians inputs.
Old 17th December 2013, 15:15   #1025
BANNED

Quote:
I am going to get my car's battery checked this weekend as the cranking is going slow day by day. I tried opening the battery caps to fill distilled water but failed to open them as the caps are too tightly closed. I think SVC people never filled the water during service also else there must have been some mark near the caps.
Check the voltage when the ignition is ON and then check the voltage when you crank the engine.

When the ignition is ON the voltage will be around 11.9-12.1 V and when you crank it drops down to 8-9V. If the drop is to 5 or 6V then the battery is on its end. Check the cells as they are not able to hold the charge. If the battery is fine but the charge is not happening then the alternator could need attention.

Quote:
Meanwhile Not so exciting engine power specs for the 2014 diesel City.
IMO, 100 PS for a sedan of this size and being a diesel it will be a torque monster so that I feel is adequate for our roads. Petrol specifications, I don't need to comment for the petrol one.

Anurag.
Old 24th December 2013, 01:00   #1026
Senior - BHPian

It's been ages since I posted some proper photos of Venus. Recently, one of my friend bought a Hyundai Verna CRDi and then the idea of long pending photo-shoot was materialized.

The C-Segment Champions

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1-1.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1-2.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1-3.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1-4.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-1.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_1714.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_1715.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_1741.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_1750.jpg

It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-dsc_1751.jpg
bluevolt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th December 2013, 20:13   #1027
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsdbsd View Post
Am I seeing this correctly? Automatic is now CVT?! Torque converter gone? Can anyone of you please confirm?
The autobox is gone and is replaced by a CVT, the torque converter still exists.
You need some mechanism to isolate the engine from transmission when you are idling in traffic.
Good news for you is that the torque converter has a lock up clutch which locks up quiet early 1200 RPM when driving with a light foot, so the efficiency is not robbed.
Rahul Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th December 2013, 15:58   #1028
Senior - BHPian

Today I filled distilled water in the battery myself. Surprisingly it drank over half a liter of water. I suspect that SVC people haven't touched the battery for maintenance during previous services.

PS - Happy New Year 2014 to all Team-BHPians!
Old 12th January 2014, 09:04   #1029
Team-BHP Support

BV, remember our discussion about the City having a 0-maintenance battery.

Attached is a pic of the battery in mine. It has a color indicator that displays the battery health. No maintenance/addition of distilled water added.
Attached Thumbnails
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-wp_000378.jpg  

libranof1987 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 12:53   #1030
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Attached is a pic of the battery in mine. It has a color indicator that displays the battery health. No maintenance/addition of distilled water added.
Is this the OEM battery or did you change it in your ownership?

My Pegasus came with an Exide battery and the manual doesn't mention maintenance-free anywhere. It requires regular check-ups and distilled water top-ups. (the A.S.S. guys do the battery test during every service I have availed, as I posted in my thread)
RavenAvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 13:50   #1031
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

My car's battery (standard furukawa-exide) also has a color indicator which displays battery state. But the battery is not 0 maintenance. It still requires distilled water to be added by removing those two flaps and you will find opening of 6 cells. I have same battery in my i10 & WagonR.

I recently added distilled water to my car's battery as water level was bit low and early morning cranking was sluggish. After adding water to correct level and driving for a 100 KM round trip, it performs as good as new.

SVC people don't bother to check the battery AFAIK, so it is better to check the water level at least once a year yourself.

Only sealed batteries are 0 maintenance which do not require any water checkup. Our's is low maintenance battery.

Are you still running on stock battery?

Last edited by bluevolt : 12th January 2014 at 13:53.
bluevolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 17:00   #1032
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Is this the OEM battery or did you change it in your ownership?
Quote:
Are you still running on stock battery?
Yep, this is the stock battery. No issues so far.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2014, 19:32   #1033
BHPian

Quote:
Yep, this is the stock battery. No issues so far.
The said particular model of Amaron has a warranty of 36 months (refer website)
Attached Thumbnails
It's Me and My Honda City i-VTEC - It's Us Against the World! EDIT: Sold!-amaron-battery-honda.jpg  

Old 12th January 2014, 19:48   #1034
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinks_69 View Post
The said particular model of Amaron has a warranty of 36 months (refer website)
AFAIK, stock batteries carries only one year warranty!
Old 15th January 2014, 03:15   #1035

Hi guys,

I too own the same coloured city ivtec - 2009 model. Surprised that I had not seen the post before. Mine is the same colour and trim as Bluevolt's and has done almost 32k kms and I'm just thinking about upsizing the tires to 195's.

Also a question to the other city owners - any of you know about mugen/modulo body kits suppliers in bangalore? well since the car is out of warranty now I just want to make it feel unique and special to me.

Also let me know if any of you have upgraded the suspension to a stiffer setting to reduce body roll and to avoid scraping the bottom on speed breakers.

Thanks in advance!

Most Viewed